ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan State vs Nebraska

Right. I said that OU hasn't lived up to its billing as a top 10 team. I'm not just using Nebraska as an indicator to arrive at that opinion. They were the second team where OU was heavily favored at home and struggled to put them away. Does that mean OU isn't any good? Not necessarily, but the first time was 2 weeks ago vs a Tulane team that everyone can agree after they got throttled by 40 points this week probably isn't very good. These two games together tell me OU hasn't lived up to the top 5 hype yet and the rest of the college football world is also leaning in that direction. They aren't the only ones given how Clemson and OSU have performed. It doesn't mean they're bad by any stretch but they have not been playing at an elite level. It also doesn't mean Nebraska is at the same level as Tulane just because the outcomes were similar. Nebraska seems to have figured a few things out but haven't beaten anyone yet so we'll have to see.

In Nebraska vs Illinois it just looked like the same old Nebraska under Frost, finding ways to lose against teams they shouldn't lose to. Again I think the coaching staff has figured a few things out along with AM. We'll see in the next few games if that's true.
However, OU is a top 10 team whether you and I think they are. So are also telling me that the coaching staff is just figuring things out on year 4?

Nebraska games played against Oklahoma, IL, Fordham and Buffalo

Michigan State games played against Miami, Northwestern, Youngstown State

Nebraska has played a tougher schedule.

total offense: MSU at 18th and Nebraska at 36th
Rushing yards per play: MSU at 6.7 and Nebraska 4.0

total defense: Nebraska 67th and MSU 91st
rush defense: MSU 25th and Nebraska 82nd

Nebraska gives up fewer yards per play on defense than MSU does.

For anyone wondering, Oklahoma has given up an average of 30 fewer yards per game than MSU. Thus, basically a wash.

This game will be lose or won based on running the ball and being able to stop it. In other words, a typical Big Ten game.

MSU comes into the game undefeated and ranked #20 and a 1-0 conference record.

Very big game for both schools for obvious reasons.
In their win against Miami, Miami had four turnovers, while MSU had none.

Reactions: dinglefritz
However, OU is a top 10 team whether you and I think they are. So are also telling me that the coaching staff is just figuring things out on year 4?
OU is ranked in the top 10 today because they started in the top 2 due to the talent they had coming back and their recent success. Had that not been the case their body of work so far wouldn't warrant a top 10 ranking. Again, we're only talking about 3 games so they have a lot of time and the talent to put things together.

With respect to Nebraska's coaching staff, it looks to me like they're playing more sound football with a greater emphasis on ball security than previous years. That and AM hasn't been an accident waiting to happen.

Reactions: headcard
Look at the stats I posted. Don't care what you smoke but you gotta stop drinking the bong water.
Stats simply aren't relevant when you're losing. How many times in the last 3 years has Nebraska won the statistics contest only to be on the short end of the only numbers that matter? I don't see anyone bragging that Nebraska won the stats battle against Illinois.

You keep arguing to anyone who'll listen that Michigan State has played horrible horrible teams and that Nebraska has had a much tougher schedule. News flash. Nebraska hasn't played a much tougher schedule. They played two of the worst FBS teams out there in Illinois and Buffalo and a high school team from Fordham. They played a good (not great right now) Oklahoma team. They are 0-2 against teams not named Fordham and Buffalo. You argue that Oklahoma would have destroyed MSU and their opponents when Oklahoma struggled mightily with Tulane and Nebraska.

Nebraska is 2-2. Michigan State is 3-0. Those are the only numbers that matter. If Nebraska has better stats on Saturday but comes up with an L you can puff out your chest and claim victory. How's that?

Look, you do understand that 2-2 or 3-0 represent a frozen moment in time, right? You want to make that the only metric that counts in the midst of a season. I'm not going to review the stats for you that I laid out earlier. MSU has played horrific opponents. NU played the #3 team in the country to the last second. You can diminish OU all you want to, but what ranked teams has MSU played? I'll wait.

I'll light up a maduro while you research the ranked teams MSU played. Shouldn't take you long, but I'll still enjoy the maduro.

You provided an opinion while I provided facts. Therein is the difference between you and me.

Stats simply aren't relevant when you're losing. How many times in the last 3 years has Nebraska won the statistics contest only to be on the short end of the only numbers that matter? I don't see anyone bragging that Nebraska won the stats battle against Illinois.

You keep arguing to anyone who'll listen that Michigan State has played horrible horrible teams and that Nebraska has had a much tougher schedule. News flash. Nebraska hasn't played a much tougher schedule. They played two of the worst FBS teams out there in Illinois and Buffalo and a high school team from Fordham. They played a good (not great right now) Oklahoma team. They are 0-2 against teams not named Fordham and Buffalo. You argue that Oklahoma would have destroyed MSU and their opponents when Oklahoma struggled mightily with Tulane and Nebraska.

Nebraska is 2-2. Michigan State is 3-0. Those are the only numbers that matter. If Nebraska has better stats on Saturday but comes up with an L you can puff out your chest and claim victory. How's that?
I mean, really none of the numbers matter right now, why would they?

The only thing that matters is who scores more points on Saturday.

I do think Bama broke the spirit of Miami...I also think that UF will have a great rest of the season because they almost just beat Bama.

I mean, really none of the numbers matter right now, why would they?

The only thing that matters is who scores more points on Saturday.
This back and forth started when it was posted that MSU will beat NU and it won't be close. An objective examination of that claim required a review of team performance, hence the stats. While I agree the only thing that matters is the win and I have no issue with other opinions, I will challenge silly statements like the one above.

This back and forth started when it was posted that MSU will beat NU and it won't be close. An objective examination of that claim required a review of team performance, hence the stats. While I agree the only thing that matters is the win and I have no issue with other opinions, I will challenge silly statements like the one above.
I agree.

Look, you do understand that 2-2 or 3-0 represent a frozen moment in time, right? You want to make that the only metric that counts in the midst of a season. I'm not going to review the stats for you that I laid out earlier. MSU has played horrific opponents. NU played the #3 team in the country to the last second. You can diminish OU all you want to, but what ranked teams has MSU played? I'll wait.

I'll light up a maduro while you research the ranked teams MSU played. Shouldn't take you long, but I'll still enjoy the maduro.

You provided an opinion while I provided facts. Therein is the difference between you and me.
The biggest difference between Nebraska and Michigan State is Nebraska lost 2 games. One to one of the worst teams in FBS and one to an OK team that almost lost at home to Tulane. They have 2 wins. One against a bad FBS team and one against a high school team. MSU hasn't lost any games and beat the one ranked team they faced. Those aren't opinions. At the end of the day those are the only facts that matter. Statistics are for losers. Enjoy your cigar.

• Haha
Reactions: Laner2
The biggest difference between Nebraska and Michigan State is Nebraska lost 2 games. One to one of the worst teams in FBS and one to an OK team that almost lost at home to Tulane. They have 2 wins. One against a bad FBS team and one against a high school team. MSU hasn't lost any games and beat the one ranked team they faced. Those aren't opinions. At the end of the day those are the only facts that matter. Statistics are for losers. Enjoy your cigar.
So why are you using stats? Classic.

Ok, MIami: 110th total defense; 111th scoring defense; 110th in total offense. Some ranked team.

Buh-bye.

Huh? What stats? Those are called wins and losses. I think I'm done here.
So wins and losses are not stats?

Shit, I have coached football for 20 years...we kept track of wins and losses...WHY WHY! UGggggg,

Dude, thanks for help!

Hey, for pitchers in MLB, why do they keep track of their wins and losses? Dorks!

What about boxing and UFC, should we email them and let them know wins and losses don't matter?

Is Tucker 3-0 this year or 0-0?

Maybe. Hopefully, right?

It’s no secret that this was a green staff and that they made alot of mistakes. They clearly didn’t have all the answers to date. The choices are either they figure it out or we move on, right?

We lose by 10
Yeah, this stinks of us underperforming and being right back at square 1. I feel like this is just like the Illinois game. Going in confident, saying it is going to spring us forward and then we lay an egg.

Everyone is thinking what we saw last week was a huge amount of progress and that we belong with good teams and we will probably come out and lose by 17 and everyone will be calling for Frost's head.

Maybe. Hopefully, right?

It’s no secret that this was a green staff and that they made alot of mistakes. They clearly didn’t have all the answers to date. The choices are either they figure it out or we move on, right?
Yes. But they made up for their mistakes by using a shitload of cliches.

The offensive game plan you saw against Oklahoma was much more in line with what Frost ran at UCF and Oregon, minus the tempo.

First drive 8 runs and 6 passes
Second drive 2 runs and 1 pass
3rd drive 4 runs and 2 passes
4th drive 5 runs and 4 passes
half time
5th drive 9 runs and 4 passes
6th drive 5 runs and 4 passes
7th drive 0 runs and 4 passes
8th drive 1 run and 3 passes
9th drive 0 runs and 4 passes.

The last 3 drives are indicative of a team behind trying to score.

But the first 6 drives were pretty balanced, there wasn't a bunch of designed runs for the QB, he ran when he was in trouble and hit the deck or ran out of bounds rather than taking big shots, plus there was the use of the RB in the passing game.

As far as Michigan St's rushing defense, Northwestern ran the ball 38 times for 117 yards and 3 yards per pop. They also abandoned the running game when they fell behind, they were almost exclusively pass for the second half. Miami was almost exclusively pass from the get go, they only ran the ball 24 times with the QB King running half of those attempts and 3 of them were sacks. So 21 rushing attempts in the game. Then there was the FCS opponent, that I won't even breakdown. Bottom line is that while the opponents did not have huge success running the ball, they also chose not to run the ball because they were behind due to their defense giving up big plays for TDs.

It is almost similar to playing Army and then saying you have an awesome pass defense because you held them to 50 yards through the air.

I think it's hard for stats to really predict much at this point in the season. I personally go off the eyeball test this time of the year.

My eyes tell me Nebraska is playing much better than that week zero game vs Illinois. Sans special teams.

They also tell me that the Oline is still a hot mess and our running game is not good right now.

If Martinez doesn't play well our offense is going to struggle against anyone.

Michigan State looks to be fairly solid with a good ground game.

Can our defense adjust to the different style of play this week and keep the run game contained so the play action and misdirection game doesn't roast us?

I'm thinking it's going to be another 24-17 type of game. Our front 7 vs their Oline and TEs will be the key match up I will be watching.

Watching Mich State highlights we will need to play sound on D

Actually here it is.. comment
#39 I confused the threads. My bad.. User named datathusker. Oh.. I'm not an MSU fan either.

Mel Tucker could be the new

Tressel Ball and/or Beamer Ball. They never beat themselves.
nebraska.forums.rivals.com
nebraska.forums.rivals.com
That is just what a sneaky MSU fan would say!

ADVERTISEMENT