ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan State vs Nebraska

I'll break it down for you, but just this once. From now on do your homework before posting your ill-informed sh!t:

TOTAL DEFENSE SCORING DEFENSE TOTAL OFFENSE

MSU 70th 35th 9th

* Norwstern 66th 72nd 99th
(MSU oppnt)
*Miami 100th 111th 110th
(MSU oppnt)
*Youngtn State Not ranked Not ranked Not Ranked
(MSU oppnt)

NU 58th 26th 21st

*Fordham Not ranked Not Ranked Not ranked (NU oppnt)
*Buffalo 49th 37th 38th
(NU oppnt)
*Illini 120th 102nd 103rd
(NU oppnt)
*OU 34th Not ranked 6th

Source: NCAA.com/stats

Not sure why OU is unranked in Scoring Defense, but it's stats are sandwiched between NU (26th) and Oregon State, which is 44th. I split the difference and gave OU a rank of 35.

With the SOLE exception of total offense, NU leads MSU in all three categories while playing a harder schedule. All three of MSU's opponents so far are lifeless corpses.

NU played the #3 team--------------at their stadium-----------------and came within a touchdown of beating them. You can say what you want about OU being overrated, but OU would boatrace MSU and any of the teams they played so far.

Trying looking at your post again and you shouldn't wonder why you're so easy to dismiss.
What exactly are you even trying to argue? 500 yards by the Nebraska O? That isn't going to happen on Saturday.

What exactly are you even trying to argue? 500 yards by the Nebraska O? That isn't going to happen on Saturday.
(1) Search my post. Never said 500 yards by Nebraska.

(2) The stats are there, not just MSU vs NU but their opponents' stats as well. NU leads in all but one.

(3) Your hatred for SF (your obligatory denial inserted here) makes it easy to dismiss you as a cat-lady crank.

(4) Crazy part? I really don't dislike you, and I mean it. Your posts? That's another matter.

Last edited:
I was watching the Oklahoma game off and on. I haven't had the time to sit down and watch it in depth. What I don't remember seeing is a bunch of blitzing, I am sure there was more than I saw, but the goal appeared to be to make OU drive the length of the field and sit in a zone look. I think we gave up in the range of 3-5 plays of over 20 yards and none over 25 yards. Not awesome, but not horrible either.

I guess I see the defense playing a little more bend but don't break simply because the offense isn't operating at a high rate of speed either.

I think Nebraska can slow down Walker and the running game. I think OU has better athletes at WR and TE than Michigan St does. Michigan St is not going to spread you out with 4 and 5 WR sets like OU did, so there will be more guys closer to the LOS for the defense. I believe that Nebraska has an edge in the offensive passing game vs the MSU defense and with Betts, Manning Toure and possibly Martin, there is probably more difference makers than what Miami had at WR and I like our TE much better than I like Mallory and Arrojo at Miami.

The other thing that is overlooked, by a lot of people, is that the Michigan St - Miami games was 24-17 with 8 minutes to go after Miami kicked a FG. At that point Miami already had 3 turnovers and were still in the game. Then Michigan St scored on an 8 play drive where Miami gave up a 24 yard run the QB Thorne on 3rd and 6 where they were in man coverage, Michigan St converted a 4th and 1 at the Miami 40, then on the next play, a 39 pass play to Nailor, again in man coverage with a single high safety. I just don't expect Nebraska to play a whole lot of cover 1.

I believe this is a winnable game if there aren't unforced penalties and we don't lose the turnover margin by more than 1.
We would probably win a lot more games if we didn't turn the ball over and shoot our selves in the foot with penalties. The game is certainly winnable, it's just going to be another big test like OU was. If they revert to their old style/hurry up scheme, I think it will be another disaster, so I hope last week's change of ideology was more permanent. I guess we will find out.

Reactions: JOHNNY N
I think Nebraska is operating much differently on both sides of the ball than this staff’s first couple years.

Some people have catch phrases like no fear of failure gambling defense. Pass happy West coast offense. Uptempo Oregon offense. But that isn’t at all what we are right now.

"Amalgamation" is a perfect description of our offense.

big ten football....

AffectionateVibrantCollardlizard-max-1mb.gif

I mean, why wouldn't every defense just use this amazing new idea of "not getting beat deep" and "keeping things in front of them" and "stopping the run"

I feel like NU is going to use this same new defensive scheme you keep talking about.

Every team doesn’t use it though. MSU has a good rushing defense (not everyone does) so that helps to start. And our corners are nothing special so we can’t leave them in isolated coverage.

This strategy works for MSU because we don’t have a good organic pass rush and we don’t have corners you can trust all that much right now.

Teams that have good corner play won’t need to concede the underneath passes like that. Our passing efficiency defense is rated like 55 spots higher than our total passing defense in terms of yards.

King for Miami and Martinez are similar. King is a better passer but they’re both true dual threat guys that don’t have much of a running game to help them out.

Every team doesn’t use it though. MSU has a good rushing defense (not everyone does) so that helps to start. And our corners are nothing special so we can’t leave them in isolated coverage.

This strategy works for MSU because we don’t have a good organic pass rush and we don’t have corners you can trust all that much right now.

Teams that have good corner play won’t need to concede the underneath passes like that. Our passing efficiency defense is rated like 55 spots higher than our total passing defense in terms of yards.

King for Miami and Martinez are similar. King is a better passer but they’re both true dual threat guys that don’t have much of a running game to help them out.
I mean, I have coached for 20 years and never once in that time have I told my defense "It is okay if you get beat deep" or "don't worry about stopping the run"

I suppose some teams use a trail technique with their corners but that just means they have help.

Reactions: JOHNNY N
I mean, I have coached for 20 years and never once in that time have I told my defense "It is okay if you get beat deep" or "don't worry about stopping the run"

I suppose some teams use a trail technique with their corners but that just means they have help.
There’s what you want to do…and then there is what you are capable of, right? MSUs corners can’t cover all that well right now and we don’t have a great pass rush to ease the cornerbacks burden. So we run a scheme that makes things a bit easier on them.

Ideally you can rush the passer with your down 4 DL and have corners that can play press coverage. We don’t have the players for that.

Conversely, it’s like your offense. You can’t run the ball effectively from your tailback slot so your QB has to run the ball a lot. 17 rushes against OU for your QB…I can’t see that as a winning formula subjecting your QB to that kind of punishment. But…your offense has to have AM be mr everything for it to succeed you don’t really have other options like a bell cow RB to feed.

There’s what you want to do…and then there is what you are capable of, right? MSUs corners can’t cover all that well right now and we don’t have a great pass rush to ease the cornerbacks burden. So we run a scheme that makes things a bit easier on them.

Ideally you can rush the passer with your down 4 DL and have corners that can play press coverage. We don’t have the players for that.

Conversely, it’s like your offense. You can’t run the ball effectively from your tailback slot so your QB has to run the ball a lot. 17 rushes against OU for your QB…I can’t see that as a winning formula subjecting your QB to that kind of punishment. But…your offense has to have AM be mr everything for it to succeed you don’t really have other options like a bell cow RB to feed.
Wouldn't it have just been easier to say "You know what, you are right"

The Huskers typically play the Spartans pretty well. It's a winnable game. Mostly hoping we're not done in by our own mistakes
What does playing them well in the past have to do with anything? New coach, different team and players. We used to beat Iowa regularly as well, throw in Minnesota and others so I am not sure where the logic comes in here.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I was watching the Oklahoma game off and on. I haven't had the time to sit down and watch it in depth. What I don't remember seeing is a bunch of blitzing, I am sure there was more than I saw, but the goal appeared to be to make OU drive the length of the field and sit in a zone look. I think we gave up in the range of 3-5 plays of over 20 yards and none over 25 yards. Not awesome, but not horrible either.

I guess I see the defense playing a little more bend but don't break simply because the offense isn't operating at a high rate of speed either.

I think Nebraska can slow down Walker and the running game. I think OU has better athletes at WR and TE than Michigan St does. Michigan St is not going to spread you out with 4 and 5 WR sets like OU did, so there will be more guys closer to the LOS for the defense. I believe that Nebraska has an edge in the offensive passing game vs the MSU defense and with Betts, Manning Toure and possibly Martin, there is probably more difference makers than what Miami had at WR and I like our TE much better than I like Mallory and Arrojo at Miami.

The other thing that is overlooked, by a lot of people, is that the Michigan St - Miami games was 24-17 with 8 minutes to go after Miami kicked a FG. At that point Miami already had 3 turnovers and were still in the game. Then Michigan St scored on an 8 play drive where Miami gave up a 24 yard run the QB Thorne on 3rd and 6 where they were in man coverage, Michigan St converted a 4th and 1 at the Miami 40, then on the next play, a 39 pass play to Nailor, again in man coverage with a single high safety. I just don't expect Nebraska to play a whole lot of cover 1.

I believe this is a winnable game if there aren't unforced penalties and we don't lose the turnover margin by more than 1.
It does appear the D concepts are/have changed from one being more aggressive to more of the bend but don't break type. I happened onto a video of discussion of this and they said it is very apparent.

I never did buy in to the concept that it was OK to let teams run up and down the field taking chances for turnovers while hoping your offense can outscore the other team. I think that was more urban legend than reality.

I'll break it down for you, but just this once. From now on do your homework before posting your ill-informed sh!t:

MSU 70th 35th 9th

(MSU oppnt)
*Miami 100th 111th 110th
(MSU oppnt)
(MSU oppnt)

NU 58th 26th 21st

*Buffalo 49th 37th 38th
(NU oppnt)
(NU oppnt)
*OU 34th Not ranked 6th

Not sure why OU is unranked in Scoring Defense, but it's stats are sandwiched between NU (26th) and Oregon State, which is 44th. I split the difference and gave OU a rank of 35.

With the SOLE exception of total offense, NU leads MSU in all three categories while playing a harder schedule. All three of MSU's opponents so far are lifeless corpses.

NU played the #3 team--------------at their stadium-----------------and came within a touchdown of beating them. You can say what you want about OU being overrated, but OU would boatrace MSU and any of the teams they played so far.

Trying looking at your post again and you shouldn't wonder why you're so easy to dismiss.
So.... This is where your argument goes kinda south with statements like the one highlighted in red above. OU has played 3 games so far. They were lucky to escape Tulane and Nebraska but you're certain that OU would "boatrace" MSU and any of the teams they've played so far. That's kind of a stretch don't you think?

Reactions: DEcougar
So.... This is where your argument goes kinda south with statements like the one highlighted in red above. OU has played 3 games so far. They were lucky to escape Tulane and Nebraska but you're certain that OU would "boatrace" MSU and any of the teams they've played so far. That's kind of a stretch don't you think?
I think it is fair to say that OU would be favored bigly (is that a word) of MSU.

As far as boatracing them, I was not that impressed with OU. With that said, Rattler is probably pretty capable of having one of those 29-33 type games with 5 TD"s vs just about anyone.

Reactions: Anegada1
I think it is fair to say that OU would be favored bigly (is that a word) of MSU.

As far as boatracing them, I was not that impressed with OU. With that said, Rattler is probably pretty capable of having one of those 29-33 type games with 5 TD"s vs just about anyone.
I'm thinking that if they played on a neutral field OU would be favored by no more than 7 today. It wouldn't really shock anyone if MSU beat them outright. OU hasn't had an impressive outing yet this year. They barely got by a Tulane team at home that just got gutted by 40 vs Ole Miss. They looked very average last week vs Nebraska. Maybe they'll get it together but that team hasn't played anywhere near their ranking so far.

I'm thinking that if they played on a neutral field OU would be favored by no more than 7 today. It wouldn't really shock anyone if MSU beat them outright. OU hasn't had an impressive outing yet this year. They barely got by a Tulane team at home that just got gutted by 40 vs Ole Miss. They looked very average last week vs Nebraska. Maybe they'll get it together but that team hasn't played anywhere near their ranking so far.
Hmmm 7 seems low but maybe.

If it was 7 i would take OU...and then they would lose and I would lose my money.

Reactions: headcard
The season was tainted with the L to IL.
This weekend is still a chance to maintain some hope going forward. Lose this game and drop to 2-3 with a tough lineup ahead, and things would be looking grim.

Huge game Saturday. Weather forecast looks great.

GBR

The season was tainted with the L to IL.
This weekend is still a chance to maintain some hope going forward. Lose this game and drop to 2-3 with a tough lineup ahead, and things would be looking grim.

Huge game Saturday. Weather forecast looks great.

GBR
Huskers will be 4-3 after the Michigan game with 5 games to win 2 to qualify. I bet they get there.

Reactions: HominidHusker
Nebraska games played against Oklahoma, IL, Fordham and Buffalo

Michigan State games played against Miami, Northwestern, Youngstown State

Nebraska has played a tougher schedule.

total offense: MSU at 18th and Nebraska at 36th
Rushing yards per play: MSU at 6.7 and Nebraska 4.0

total defense: Nebraska 67th and MSU 91st
rush defense: MSU 25th and Nebraska 82nd

Nebraska gives up fewer yards per play on defense than MSU does.

For anyone wondering, Oklahoma has given up an average of 30 fewer yards per game than MSU. Thus, basically a wash.

This game will be lose or won based on running the ball and being able to stop it. In other words, a typical Big Ten game.

MSU comes into the game undefeated and ranked #20 and a 1-0 conference record.

Very big game for both schools for obvious reasons.
Msu must not be very good against the pass. This could be our significant advantage.

MSU 70th 35th 9th

(MSU oppnt)
*Miami 100th 111th 110th
(MSU oppnt)
(MSU oppnt)

NU 58th 26th 21st

*Buffalo 49th 37th 38th
(NU oppnt)
(NU oppnt)
*OU 34th Not ranked 6th

Only stat that matters, MSU is undefeated and we're 2-2 with a bad loss to Illinois. MSU has had the better year so far, and it's not close.

Only stat that matters, MSU is undefeated and we're 2-2 with a bad loss to Illinois. MSU has had the better year so far, and it's not close.
Agree win/lose is the final stat, but when you look at their opponents compared to NU's opponents (which I laid out above) MSU got their three wins against HORRIBLE teams. It's right there.

I think NU beats MSU but my post was directed at a statement that MSU is better than NU, and that it wasn't close. The game stats say otherwise. I know you have an agenda but you're looking foolish here.

Hell no. Once again, look at the record of the opponents. I think OU is overrated but they would crush anyone MSU has played.

Agree win/lose is the final stat, but when you look at their opponents compared to NU's opponents (which I laid out above) MSU got their three wins against HORRIBLE teams. It's right there.

I think NU beats MSU but my post was directed at a statement that MSU is better than NU, and that it wasn't close. The game stats say otherwise. I know you have an agenda but you're looking foolish here.
We played 3 horrible teams to pad up our stats and even lost to one of them. The stats from the beginning of the season won't mean diddly squat in determining who's the better team that will win this game.

Reactions: jonesy5960
So really what you are saying is since OU is not really very good, that Nebraska is really bad? That has to be the conclusion. You can't have one without the other.

Last edited:
Reactions: NikkiSixx
Michigan St has run about 200 offensive plays so far this season for about 1560 yards about 7.75 ypp.

Now if you look at a couple of stats, you will see how dependent Michigan St is on the big play.

Of the 1560 yards, 686 come on just 19 plays. So 181 or so plays account for 874 yards or 4.8 ypp.

Of the 19 big plays, 12 resulted directly to TDs. They have scored 16 TD, that leaves 4 TD in 180 plays.

The key to stopping the big plays is to play sound fundamental defense, don't try and do too much. Both Northwestern and Miami were out of position and missed tackles on almost every big play, both in the passing game and the running game.

Make them drive the length of the field and their success will be lessened.
This is a very nice post. Good work!

We played 3 horrible teams to pad up our stats and even lost to one of them. The stats from the beginning of the season won't mean diddly squat in determining who's the better team that will win this game.
You are an idiot. I'm not saying that out of anger or frustration or because I don't like you.

As a qualitative descriptor, you are an idiot.

I gave you stats to buttress what I said.

You have nothing but an uninformed agenda.

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
So really what you are saying is since OU I'd not really very good, that Nebraska is really bad? That has to be the conclusion. You can't have one without the other.
Of course you can. It's called nuance. Oklahoma has yet to look like a top ten team this year including last Saturday. Top ten teams don't struggle to put away weaker teams at home twice in 3 weeks. On the other hand Nebraska appears to have made strides. Defense is playing better by not giving up 4-5 big plays every game. AM has played better by not trying to win the games himself and practicing better ball security. Both of these things can be true.

Reactions: bshirt73
Hell no. Once again, look at the record of the opponents. I think OU is overrated but they would crush anyone MSU has played.
You mean teams like Tulane? You think Tulane and Nebraska are that much better than Miami? If so I'll have what you're smoking. BTW, I'm not an MSU fan. I just live in the real world.

Really? One guy says UN by 4 scores and the other guy is looking foolish? You serious Clark?

Really? One guy says UN by 4 scores and the other guy is looking foolish? You serious Clark?

Can you direct me to the post predicting Nebraska wins by 4 scores?

I have reread every post in this thread and am not seeing anyone picking NU by 4 scores. In fact, I am only seeing one fan predicting a 2-pt win. However, on the other hand, the cocky MSU fans have made an appearance.

Reactions: Sinomatic

I have reread every post in this thread and am not seeing anyone picking NU by 4 scores. In fact, I am only seeing one fan predicting a 2-pt win. However, on the other hand, the cocky MSU fans have made an appearance.
Looks like it was deleted by the poster.

Reactions: headcard
11th ranked rush offense vs. 80th ranked rush defense, does not bode well for Nebraska.
Having an abysmal kicking game only make things worse for the huskers chances.

Of course you can. It's called nuance. Oklahoma has yet to look like a top ten team this year including last Saturday. Top ten teams don't struggle to put away weaker teams at home twice in 3 weeks. On the other hand Nebraska appears to have made strides. Defense is playing better by not giving up 4-5 big plays every game. AM has played better by not trying to win the games himself and practicing better ball security. Both of these things can be true.
But according to the definition of "nuance" the difference is "subtle." Saying that OU is not very good and then getting beat by them is not subtle nuance. Using the same descriptor, what do you use to describe Illinois and Nebraska?

But according to the definition of "nuance" the difference is "subtle." Saying that OU is not very good and then getting beat by them is not subtle nuance. Using the same descriptor, what do you use to describe Illinois and Nebraska?
Right. I said that OU hasn't lived up to its billing as a top 10 team. I'm not just using Nebraska as an indicator to arrive at that opinion. They were the second team where OU was heavily favored at home and struggled to put them away. Does that mean OU isn't any good? Not necessarily, but the first time was 2 weeks ago vs a Tulane team that everyone can agree after they got throttled by 40 points this week probably isn't very good. These two games together tell me OU hasn't lived up to the top 5 hype yet and the rest of the college football world is also leaning in that direction. They aren't the only ones given how Clemson and OSU have performed. It doesn't mean they're bad by any stretch but they have not been playing at an elite level. It also doesn't mean Nebraska is at the same level as Tulane just because the outcomes were similar. Nebraska seems to have figured a few things out but haven't beaten anyone yet so we'll have to see.

In Nebraska vs Illinois it just looked like the same old Nebraska under Frost, finding ways to lose against teams they shouldn't lose to. Again I think the coaching staff has figured a few things out along with AM. We'll see in the next few games if that's true.

Actually here it is.. comment
#39 I confused the threads. My bad.. User named datathusker. Oh.. I'm not an MSU fan either.

Mel Tucker could be the new

Tressel Ball and/or Beamer Ball. They never beat themselves.
nebraska.forums.rivals.com
nebraska.forums.rivals.com

ADVERTISEMENT