Jan 30, 2021
Nebraska games played against Oklahoma, IL, Fordham and Buffalo

Michigan State games played against Miami, Northwestern, Youngstown State

Nebraska has played a tougher schedule.

total offense: MSU at 18th and Nebraska at 36th
Rushing yards per play: MSU at 6.7 and Nebraska 4.0

total defense: Nebraska 67th and MSU 91st
rush defense: MSU 25th and Nebraska 82nd

Nebraska gives up fewer yards per play on defense than MSU does.

For anyone wondering, Oklahoma has given up an average of 30 fewer yards per game than MSU. Thus, basically a wash.

This game will be lose or won based on running the ball and being able to stop it. In other words, a typical Big Ten game.

MSU comes into the game undefeated and ranked #20 and a 1-0 conference record.

Very big game for both schools for obvious reasons.

You guys have scored 22 and 16 against two bad defensive teams.

MSUs offense is much, much better than the Huskers.

Reactions: Spartyten
I watched two Mich St games and I was pretty impressed. Their RB is def the best we will have seen so far and the pass game aint bad either. They have a tough defense but I think we can get them in space on some plays. It should be a close game...again.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Yes. The total offense is a tad misleading since the redzone success is bad.
Football is now all about efficiency. Can you score TDs in the red zone and can you play bend but not break defense?

MSU was perfectly comfortable giving Miamis WRs space for small and some medium gains. They took away the big play. Just like what Oregon did vs OSU. Took away their big play touchdowns. Let them rack up a bunch of yards that didnt translate to points.

MSUs rushing defense shut down Miami for the most part. Forced King into several turnovers because they had to throw the ball 60 times to try and win. It wasnt a recipe to win for OSU vs Oregon and wasnt a recipe for Miami to beat MSU.

If Im a Nebraska fan, Im worried that AM has to put the team on his back every game just for you guys to have a chance to win. It will inevitably lead to some turnovers. Your rushing offense just isnt where it needs to be.

Nebraska will get yards vs MSU but they wont translate to a bunch of points. I think MSU with the superior rushing attack will slowly grind away at Nebraska...and then we will hit some big plays over the top to Reed and Nailor who are both weapons at WR.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Football is now all about efficiency. Can you score TDs in the red zone and can you play bend but not break defense?

MSU was perfectly comfortable giving Miamis WRs space for small and some medium gains. They took away the big play. Just like what Oregon did vs OSU. Took away their big play touchdowns. Let them rack up a bunch of yards that didnt translate to points.

MSUs rushing defense shut down Miami for the most part. Forced King into several turnovers because they had to throw the ball 60 times to try and win. It wasnt a recipe to win for OSU vs Oregon and wasnt a recipe for Miami to beat MSU.

If Im a Nebraska fan, Im worried that AM has to put the team on his back every game just for you guys to have a chance to win. It will inevitably lead to some turnovers. Your rushing offense just isnt where it needs to be.

Nebraska will get yards vs MSU but they wont translate to a bunch of points. I think MSU with the superior rushing attack will slowly grind away at Nebraska...and then we will hit some big plays over the top to Reed and Nailor who are both weapons at WR.
I sort of think that MSU just got that Miami coach canned come the end of the season. That was a nice win.

And no joke, East Lansing is such a cool campus.

Yep, you understand football in today's world. There's more and more movement back to TOP and efficiency-based football.

I don't expect Nebraska to win. The defense for Nebraska will do just enough to keep the game close, but with the self caused issues that Frost has failed to fix will creep up again and derail things.

Yep. That' pretty much the way it is likely to go.

Add to the fact that we WILL spot you 7-10 points -- directly -- from special teams jackassery (like we have done every game for a couple years now) and it's a tough hill to overcome against anyone. Especially a team that can play keep away.

Curious about all the transfers? any thoughts?

What do you need to know? At this point they are kind of sprinkled in. MSU has a handful of transfers playing significant time. Of course the main one is Kenneth Walker who has been a revelation.

Good luck this week. Went to Lincoln in 18 and had a great time with a ton of great Husker fans.

Reactions: SkerInCo
RB Walker: I see he has been discussed on here and I echo the overall sentiment. He is really really good. Great vision, great burst, has a knack for juking out 2nd level defenders and can bang with the DBs to pick up extra yards. Heisman watch.

LT Horst: came from Arkansas State, PFF graded 85 as pass blocker, he has been very steady at LT for us

CBs Kimbrough and Ronald Williams: both former SEC guys (Fla and Bama, respectively). They will see the most snaps at CB for us. They have been OK, but will need to improve in coverage.

LB Quavaris Crouch - freak athlete, transfer from Tenn. He has been very solid, physical at the point of attack and a sure tackler (vital in a 4-2-5)

Others playing snaps DE Drew Jordan, Edge Tank Brown (if healthy)

Should be a very fun game, close to the end. I'll see y'all up there.

I think this is fairly well thought out.

Nebraska is going to have to have success passing, including into the end zone to get points. We cannot count on getting close and getting field goals. If we could, this game would be much easier for NU. MSU's passing defense isn't that good, so AM is going to have to become a gunslinger and get it done.. something he's not usually successful at.

I think our D is more susceptible to the run, and MSU will eat up clock on long drives if they are successful running the ball.

This is going to be a tough game matchup wise with probably the edge going to MSU. With no kicking game, Nebraska is really limited in how they can put up points.

Good news is the best player on the field will be AM.
Cant do it all himself. MSU will play defense like they did vs Miami. Bottle up AMs running for the most part, and keep the passes in front of them (not getting beat deep for a bomb TD). If NU cant get the ground game going a bit, you very likely wont win. MSUs offense is too good and we will score points.

Cant do it all himself. MSU will play defense like they did vs Miami. Bottle up AMs running for the most part, and keep the passes in front of them (not getting beat deep for a bomb TD). If NU cant get the ground game going a bit, you very likely wont win. MSUs offense is too good and we will score points.
I mean, why wouldn't every defense just use this amazing new idea of "not getting beat deep" and "keeping things in front of them" and "stopping the run"

I feel like NU is going to use this same new defensive scheme you keep talking about.

Michigan St has run about 200 offensive plays so far this season for about 1560 yards about 7.75 ypp.

Now if you look at a couple of stats, you will see how dependent Michigan St is on the big play.

Of the 1560 yards, 686 come on just 19 plays. So 181 or so plays account for 874 yards or 4.8 ypp.

Of the 19 big plays, 12 resulted directly to TDs. They have scored 16 TD, that leaves 4 TD in 180 plays.

The key to stopping the big plays is to play sound fundamental defense, don't try and do too much. Both Northwestern and Miami were out of position and missed tackles on almost every big play, both in the passing game and the running game.

Make them drive the length of the field and their success will be lessened.

The road to 6 wins comes through Michigan State. This is a 100% must-win game for Scott Frost to get bowl eligibility.

There's no margin for error left this season since there are 5 ranked teams left on the schedule and MN could easily be ranked when we play them.

Michigan St has run about 200 offensive plays so far this season for about 1560 yards about 7.75 ypp.

Now if you look at a couple of stats, you will see how dependent Michigan St is on the big play.

Of the 1560 yards, 686 come on just 19 plays. So 181 or so plays account for 874 yards or 4.8 ypp.

Of the 19 big plays, 12 resulted directly to TDs. They have scored 16 TD, that leaves 4 TD in 180 plays.

The key to stopping the big plays is to play sound fundamental defense, don't try and do too much. Both Northwestern and Miami were out of position and missed tackles on almost every big play, both in the passing game and the running game.

Make them drive the length of the field and their success will be lessened.
We don't normally play defense like this.. it's normally an aggressive, no fear of failure (to get beat) type of defense, which plays right into the narrative you just listed about their big plays accounting for much of their success.

It will be interesting to see how we play MSU defensively, as I'm not sure that our defense is even taught how to hold back or to play more traditional, and that worries me.

So both teams defenses are stingy, but their offense is better at scoring, averaging nearly 10 more points per game than we do.

Our special teams are bad, and luckily, so are theirs.. at least when it comes to field goals.

All things being equal, our offense needs to play lights out to make up for that 10 point average deficit, just to be equal, then it being a toss up from there.

They are ranked, so for those that wonder how far off we are.. about 10pts more per game on offense.

EDIT: unrelated side note, I see the #4 rusher in the country is none other than Greg Bell.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/stats

Last edited:
Nebraska games played against Oklahoma, IL, Fordham and Buffalo

Michigan State games played against Miami, Northwestern, Youngstown State

Nebraska has played a tougher schedule.

total offense: MSU at 18th and Nebraska at 36th
Rushing yards per play: MSU at 6.7 and Nebraska 4.0

total defense: Nebraska 67th and MSU 91st
rush defense: MSU 25th and Nebraska 82nd

Nebraska gives up fewer yards per play on defense than MSU does.

For anyone wondering, Oklahoma has given up an average of 30 fewer yards per game than MSU. Thus, basically a wash.

This game will be lose or won based on running the ball and being able to stop it. In other words, a typical Big Ten game.

MSU comes into the game undefeated and ranked #20 and a 1-0 conference record.

Very big game for both schools for obvious reasons.
I don't think we win this game without 250-300 passing yards.

We don't normally play defense like this.. it's normally an aggressive, no fear of failure (to get beat) type of defense, which plays right into the narrative you just listed about their big plays accounting for much of their success.

It will be interesting to see how we play MSU defensively, as I'm not sure that our defense is even taught how to hold back or to play more traditional, and that worries me.

So both teams defenses are stingy, but their offense is better at scoring, averaging nearly 10 more points per game than we do.

Our special teams are bad, and luckily, so are theirs.. at least when it comes to field goals.

All things being equal, our offense needs to play lights out to make up for that 10 point average deficit, just to be equal, then it being a toss up from there.

They are ranked, so for those that wonder how far off we are.. about 10pts more per game on offense.

EDIT: unrelated side note, I see the #4 rusher in the country is none other than Greg Bell.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/stats
I was watching the Oklahoma game off and on. I haven't had the time to sit down and watch it in depth. What I don't remember seeing is a bunch of blitzing, I am sure there was more than I saw, but the goal appeared to be to make OU drive the length of the field and sit in a zone look. I think we gave up in the range of 3-5 plays of over 20 yards and none over 25 yards. Not awesome, but not horrible either.

I guess I see the defense playing a little more bend but don't break simply because the offense isn't operating at a high rate of speed either.

I think Nebraska can slow down Walker and the running game. I think OU has better athletes at WR and TE than Michigan St does. Michigan St is not going to spread you out with 4 and 5 WR sets like OU did, so there will be more guys closer to the LOS for the defense. I believe that Nebraska has an edge in the offensive passing game vs the MSU defense and with Betts, Manning Toure and possibly Martin, there is probably more difference makers than what Miami had at WR and I like our TE much better than I like Mallory and Arrojo at Miami.

The other thing that is overlooked, by a lot of people, is that the Michigan St - Miami games was 24-17 with 8 minutes to go after Miami kicked a FG. At that point Miami already had 3 turnovers and were still in the game. Then Michigan St scored on an 8 play drive where Miami gave up a 24 yard run the QB Thorne on 3rd and 6 where they were in man coverage, Michigan St converted a 4th and 1 at the Miami 40, then on the next play, a 39 pass play to Nailor, again in man coverage with a single high safety. I just don't expect Nebraska to play a whole lot of cover 1.

I believe this is a winnable game if there aren't unforced penalties and we don't lose the turnover margin by more than 1.

I was watching the Oklahoma game off and on. I haven't had the time to sit down and watch it in depth. What I don't remember seeing is a bunch of blitzing, I am sure there was more than I saw, but the goal appeared to be to make OU drive the length of the field and sit in a zone look. I think we gave up in the range of 3-5 plays of over 20 yards and none over 25 yards. Not awesome, but not horrible either.

I guess I see the defense playing a little more bend but don't break simply because the offense isn't operating at a high rate of speed either.

I think Nebraska can slow down Walker and the running game. I think OU has better athletes at WR and TE than Michigan St does. Michigan St is not going to spread you out with 4 and 5 WR sets like OU did, so there will be more guys closer to the LOS for the defense. I believe that Nebraska has an edge in the offensive passing game vs the MSU defense and with Betts, Manning Toure and possibly Martin, there is probably more difference makers than what Miami had at WR and I like our TE much better than I like Mallory and Arrojo at Miami.

The other thing that is overlooked, by a lot of people, is that the Michigan St - Miami games was 24-17 with 8 minutes to go after Miami kicked a FG. At that point Miami already had 3 turnovers and were still in the game. Then Michigan St scored on an 8 play drive where Miami gave up a 24 yard run the QB Thorne on 3rd and 6 where they were in man coverage, Michigan St converted a 4th and 1 at the Miami 40, then on the next play, a 39 pass play to Nailor, again in man coverage with a single high safety. I just don't expect Nebraska to play a whole lot of cover 1.

I believe this is a winnable game if there aren't unforced penalties and we don't lose the turnover margin by more than 1.

I think Nebraska is operating much differently on both sides of the ball than this staff’s first couple years.

Some people have catch phrases like no fear of failure gambling defense. Pass happy West coast offense. Uptempo Oregon offense. But that isn’t at all what we are right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: HominidHusker
I don't think we win this game without 250-300 passing yards.
That many passing yards would likely mean the rushing game has less than 100 yards, which would lead to an L.

MSU's strength is Walker. Slow him down and MSU is a beatable team.

This is a game where Toure needs about 12 to 15 touches. The guy is a stud. He is second in the Big Ten in recieving. Get about 8 catches and 4 touches in the run game.

That many passing yards would likely mean the rushing game has less than 100 yards, which would lead to an L.

This is a game where Toure needs about 12 to 15 touches. The guy is a stud. He is second in the Big Ten in recieving. Get about 8 catches and 4 touches in the run game.

Why would 250-300 yards passing mean we have less than 100 yards rushing?

We are averaging 280 passing and 201 rushing per game so far this season.

Exactly what great defense has Michigan State played so far?

Reactions: SkerInCo

I would think, to get Toure 8 catches, we would need to throw 20-25 times… is that acceptable to you?

Ya, cuz football is a zero-sum game. Knucklehead.

Ya, cuz football is a zero-sum game. Knucklehead.
Limited drives, MSU D isn't bad, they have a solid rushing D (top 20 in the nation). If you are not successful on running on 1st and 2nd down and sticking to it, you will find yourself in a lot of 3rd and longs and that would be a total disaster.

Passing for 300 yards against MSU will more than likely mean you can't run the ball against MSU.

Nebraska isn't going to gain 500 yards in this game.

How did that work for OU?

Limited drives, MSU D isn't bad, they have a solid rushing D (top 20 in the nation). If you are not successful on running on 1st and 2nd down and sticking to it, you will find yourself in a lot of 3rd and longs and that would be a total disaster.

Passing for 300 yards against MSU will more than likely mean you can't run the ball against MSU.

Nebraska isn't going to gain 500 yards in this game.
I'll break it down for you, but just this once. From now on do your homework before posting your ill-informed sh!t:

TOTAL DEFENSE SCORING DEFENSE TOTAL OFFENSE

MSU 70th 35th 9th

* Norwstern 66th 72nd 99th
(MSU oppnt)
*Miami 100th 111th 110th
(MSU oppnt)
*Youngtn State Not ranked Not ranked Not Ranked
(MSU oppnt)

NU 58th 26th 21st

*Fordham Not ranked Not Ranked Not ranked (NU oppnt)
*Buffalo 49th 37th 38th
(NU oppnt)
*Illini 120th 102nd 103rd
(NU oppnt)
*OU 34th Not ranked 6th

Source: NCAA.com/stats

Not sure why OU is unranked in Scoring Defense, but it's stats are sandwiched between NU (26th) and Oregon State, which is 44th. I split the difference and gave OU a rank of 35.

With the SOLE exception of total offense, NU leads MSU in all three categories while playing a harder schedule. All three of MSU's opponents so far are lifeless corpses.

NU played the #3 team--------------at their stadium-----------------and came within a touchdown of beating them. You can say what you want about OU being overrated, but OU would boatrace MSU and any of the teams they played so far.

Trying looking at your post again and you shouldn't wonder why you're so easy to dismiss.

Reactions: JOHNNY N
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT