ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan is Ranked

TarheelHuskerFan

Blackshirt
Jul 10, 2008
Spring Lake, NC
So they have a worse record than us overall and in conference. Even if we finish 4th and they finish 5th in conference is it a strong possibility that they could select Michigan over us?

Second question:
Has Nebraska basketball ever been ranked in the modern era?

So they have a worse record than us overall and in conference. Even if we finish 4th and they finish 5th in conference is it a strong possibility that they could select Michigan over us?

Second question:
Ranked during Nee’s Tenure... top 10 even I believe...

May have been ranked in 2014 as well, don’t remember.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Michigan may not be ranked this week, since they lost to Northwestern on Tuesday.

Right now, Michigan's strength of schedule is better than NU, and Michigan has a few more "quality" wins than NU - making their RPI higher. Most NCAA projections are based by RPI, or at least heavily influenced by it. Hence, Michigan is currently penciled in and NU is not.

Reactions: saluno22
Without comparing the rpi and all the basketball stat nerd stuff, their schedule doesn't look a whole lot more impressive than ours, with the exception that they beat Michigan State (which, admittedly, is pretty damn impressive). Also UCLA and Texas, not sure how impressive those wins are. We really need a signature win or two in the conf. tourney.

I doubt that Nebraska will get picked "over" Michigan in almost any scenario as Michigan is most likely in with an RPI of 40 unless they have a total breakdown. What I feel is probably more favorable is that the selection committee is forced to accept Nebraska if Michigan continues to look good and we finish the season ranked ahead of them in the B1G.

In some ways I see Michigan being successful as helping pull us into the tourney.

I think that they started the season ranked the year after we made the NCAA tournament.
And if you listen to some, we will definitely be ranked to start next year.

It's not often I am for Wisconsin in a sporting event, but they could help us by giving Michigan another L.

It's not often I am for Wisconsin in a sporting event, but they could help us by giving Michigan another L.
No. We want Michigan to win. Unless we do what needs to be done to get in the tourney, we don't need Michigan losing. We need the teams we beat to win as much as possible. That 4th seed won't mean much if Michigan hands it to us, and we have a questionable resume.

I understand wanting Michigan to look good (quality win for us). Would the committee select a fifth- or sixth-placed (in conference) team over a fourth-place team that blew out Michigan? Maybe I don't have to be for Wisky...

Yeah - we definitely need Michigan to look good. NU has what amounts to a 2 game lead on them in the B1G. We could also use Boston College to win a few big games down the stretch.

Look at the lists of "last 4 in", "last 4 byes", "first 4 out", etc. The teams on those lists are who we need to lose. There was good news yesterday in that UCLA, Marquette, NC State, Washington, & Kansas State all lost, while NU won.

The path of least resistance for NU would seem to be to win out in the regular season. They'd be 23-8 and no worse than 4th in the B1G. Had Purdue defeated MSU yesterday, NU could have dreamt of a 3rd place finish - but that is not likely now. Anyway, that might be enough to get NU in - regardless of what happens in the B1G tournament.

It would be nice to avoid a scenario where NU must win 2 games in the B1G tourney, because that 2nd one would have to be against Purdue, OSU, or MSU. You'd also hate to face a 'must-win' situation against Michigan in the quarter-final, too.

If we keep the nucleus of this team intact, I could very well see that. It is college basketball, so you never know
I am trying to envision a scenario where a Mikes team remains intact. Since its basically happened only once, with horrid results, I am not getting on that just yet.

I am trying to envision a scenario where a Mikes team remains intact. Since its basically happened only once, with horrid results, I am not getting on that just yet.
It doesn’t really happen to any coach in this era. Player transfers happen everywhere. Fortunately Miles has begun establishing Nebraska as a landing spot where transfers can flourish.

Nebraska will win the rest of their scheduled conference games and 1, or 2 big 10 tournament games. They will easily get into the dance and i think, as a 6, or 7th seed.

The other thing, i like about this team, is their style of play away ... they compete and could be a Cinderella in the dance

Reactions: its allgood
Nebraska will win the rest of their scheduled conference games and 1, or 2 big 10 tournament games. They will easily get into the dance and i think, as a 6, or 7th seed.

The other thing, i like about this team, is their style of play away ... they compete and could be a Cinderella in the dance
Bold. I like it

That's the rub. Michigan is our best win and the only team we've beaten that's still ranked, so we actually need them to keep winning and stay ranked (or regain their ranking) if possible.

This article explains our current situation pretty well. The key points:

With Michigan falling to Northwestern on Tuesday night, the Huskers do not have a first quadrant win on their resumé, going 0-6 against such opponents (Kansas, Purdue, Michigan State, Ohio State, Creighton, and St. John's).

Nebraska is 3-2 vs. the next group in the second quadrant, with wins over Michigan, Northwestern, and its first over Minnesota. The two losses were to Central Florida and Penn State.

Another key factor in play for Nebraska is strength of schedule. As of Wednesday, the Huskers rank 105th nationally in overall strength of schedule.

What hurts is their non-conference S.O.S. ranks a dismal 286th, mainly due to three games against teams ranked 319th or higher in the current RPI (Marist, 319; Stetson, 326; Delaware State, 351).

Reactions: newAD and saluno22
I understand wanting Michigan to look good (quality win for us). Would the committee select a fifth- or sixth-placed (in conference) team over a fourth-place team that blew out Michigan? Maybe I don't have to be for Wisky...
Yes, their resume would be way better

I've never felt Nebraska would make the tournament instead of Michigan. I just think finishing ahead of them makes it harder (but not impossible) to leave Nebraska out of the field, since Michigan is likely to get in. NU may still need to beat Michigan in the Big Ten quarterfinal (if that's the way it plays out), but on a neutral court I like Nebraska's chances.

Reactions: scarletred

Certainly possible but that would require beating Michigan again (I honestly think Nebraska is better) then will be interesting who takes the one seed. I’d take Nebraska’s chances in a rematch vs Ohio State. Purdue seems to be the toughest matchup even though Mich State rolled Nebraska by more.

Hate to say it again but that KU game haunts us,I’m hoping it doesn’t cost us in the end in case we screw up one of our last 4 regular season games.

We’re playing well enough to run the table and play on Friday as the 4th seed in the B1G tournament.

Michigan finishing strong only helps us. They're are only signature win and if they stumble then our RPI takes a hit, something we can't afford at this point. I'm not going to stress out about this. We've had a good season (by Nebrasketball standards) and just getting to the tourney (NCAA) would be the icing on the cake. Now, if Miles were to somehow keep the core of this team intact... get a big... next year would be something (more) special.

I don’t see the committee letting 8 teams( let’s say) in the SEC going to the tournament with 3 or 4 .500 records in conference and at the same time only giving the B1G 4 teams and leaving out a 5th with a ( let’s say 13-5 record) regardless of the RPI.

Hate to say it again but that KU game haunts us,I’m hoping it doesn’t cost us in the end in case we screw up one of our last 4 regular season games.

We’re playing well enough to run the table and play on Friday as the 4th seed in the B1G tournament.

My personal opinion is that if the selection committee says the loss to KU is the reason the Huskers are left out of the tournament (assuming they finish the season as necessary), then they are just looking for any kind of excuse to put in a more "traditional" team. Only one of the early season losses in non-conference was a blowout (St. Johns, who was playing at a top 10-15 level before all the injuries). And 3 of the 4 losses in the conference are to the top 3 teams (only MSU was a bad loss - and they give a lot of teams a bad loss).

The main criteria always seems to be whether a team has the ability to win in the NCAAs. The Huskers do.

Big 10 will get 5 in tourney. I just hope we can win out in regular season so we will be ensured a decent seed. Hopefully we'll finally get that first round W!

We should right now, have only 2 losses in the conference as we shoul've beaten both Ohio St and Penn St on the road. as well as Kansas in Non conference play. 22-5 and 12-2. Bet if given the chance to play Ohio St again, we win.I'm calling it here just as I did in a previous thread. NU vs MSU in Conference Tourney final. This team is playing with a refuse to lose attitude!

Second question:
Yeah earlier in the week iwaI watching BIG bb and could not believe meat chicken was ranked I believe 20 after we hanialated them and believe they lost again after us. Why I don't trust poles.

We should right now, have only 2 losses in the conference as we shoul've beaten both Ohio St and Penn St on the road. as well as Kansas in Non conference play. 22-5 and 12-2. Bet if given the chance to play Ohio St again, we win.I'm calling it here just as I did in a previous thread. NU vs MSU in Conference Tourney final. This team is playing with a refuse to lose attitude!
"Should" counts for nothing. By your logic the close wins should be losses (Illinois)

"Should" counts for nothing. By your logic the close wins should be losses (Illinois)
Well I stand by my prediction of winning the last 4 and playing in the Conference Tourney final against MSU! I believe we are that good! We will beat Ohio St in the tournament!

If Nebraska gets in it probably will be as a 11 or 10 seed at best and could very well be in Dayton for the 11 vs 11 play in game

That's the rub. Michigan is our best win and the only team we've beaten that's still ranked, so we actually need them to keep winning and stay ranked (or regain their ranking) if possible.

This article explains our current situation pretty well. The key points:

With Michigan falling to Northwestern on Tuesday night, the Huskers do not have a first quadrant win on their resumé, going 0-6 against such opponents (Kansas, Purdue, Michigan State, Ohio State, Creighton, and St. John's).

Nebraska is 3-2 vs. the next group in the second quadrant, with wins over Michigan, Northwestern, and its first over Minnesota. The two losses were to Central Florida and Penn State.

Another key factor in play for Nebraska is strength of schedule. As of Wednesday, the Huskers rank 105th nationally in overall strength of schedule.

What hurts is their non-conference S.O.S. ranks a dismal 286th, mainly due to three games against teams ranked 319th or higher in the current RPI (Marist, 319; Stetson, 326; Delaware State, 351).

I’ve been saying a lot of this for weeks.

Could a 5 seed Michigan get taken over Nebraska? Absolutely. The tourney committee is smart enough to realize not all BIG teams basketball schedules are equal. Nebraska I’m afraid absolutely has to beat Michigan again. I’m not convinced the BIG gets 5 teams yet.

There are still too many bubble teams with better statistical arguments than Nebraska. We’ve just got to keep hoping Nebraska keeps winning and other bubble teams lose.

Obviously I want NU in the tourney. But... I don't want to lose sight of just enjoying a really fun season. I would be disappointed in we went one and done in the conf tourney. Beyond that, I am having a great time watching relevant basketball in February. I'd love to see us get another game with MSU, OSU or Purdue. We're not the same team we were a month ago.

It was the 1990-1991 season when we were a #3 seed and we finished the season ranked #11.

The more time that passes, the more disappointing that one and done in 91 is. As a Husker fan it is up there with the 84 and 94 Orange Bowls. I’m not saying Nebraska could have won the NC, but a lot of people thought that was a legit sweet 16 team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT