ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan hires ....

Howard was under consideration for some NBA head coaching jobs but he's never been a head coach any where to date so there's risk. Beilein did Michigan no favors by leaving so late this year after the annual coaching carousel was over.

This is a scary hire. Memphis hired Penny and the dude is KILLING it when it comes to recruiting. Howard won't lock up Chicago because that is impossible but he will have the chance to buy errrr own it too, with a few others.

I imagine he will get who he wants from Florida and from Chicago...for the most part.

Reactions: TFrazier
BTN not buying into it. Hard to say. He has clout with the younguns. Talking heads say he has never managed a roster....BB isn't rocket science. Depth in FB harder to manage even though more players.

Not worried, at all.

I mean...the dude played in the NBA like twice as long as Fred...he grew up and knows (KNOWS) Chicago...he is a name...this was a good hire. Maybe the best they could have hoped for. The #23 recruit in the nation for 2020 is already all over his taint.

This is a scary hire. Memphis hired Penny and the dude is KILLING it when it comes to recruiting. Howard won't lock up Chicago because that is impossible but he will have the chance to buy errrr own it too, with a few others.

I imagine he will get who he wants from Florida and from Chicago...for the most part.

Cash money. I wonder how many top 100 players this year and how many they had last year?

I remember the little Penny Hardaway commercials. Did he play for Indiana?

I can't remember, because he wasn't important in the NBA either.

I'm not worried about Juwan Howard, unless they start paying SEC money.

Cash money. I wonder how many top 100 players this year and how many they had last year?

I remember the little Penny Hardaway commercials. Did he play for Indiana?

I can't remember, because he wasn't important in the NBA either.

I'm not worried about Juwan Howard, unless they start paying SEC money.

I take it you have not looked at what Memphis has done...7 top 100 recruits (almost Kentucky like)

I take it you have not looked at what Memphis has done...7 top 100 recruits (almost Kentucky like)

Is that the current class? I seem to remember a current article that I had read on ESPN. The class seems - Ole Miss like. Though not close to that level of disbelief.

Lol! Not scary at all, unless he has a payroll.

BTN not buying into it. Hard to say. He has clout with the younguns. Talking heads say he has never managed a roster....BB isn't rocket science. Depth in FB harder to manage even though more players.

If Juwan Howard was a former Nebraska basketball great with strong NBA times coming home to be the new head coach...Husker fans would be ecstatic and rightfully so.

Obviously Fred Hoiberg is a phenomenal hire for Nebraska but this could be a great hire for Michigan and there isn’t anything wrong with saying/admitting that possibility.

If Juwan Howard was a former Nebraska basketball great with strong NBA times coming home to be the new head coach...Husker fans would be ecstatic and rightfully so.

Obviously Fred Hoiberg is a phenomenal hire for Nebraska but this could be a great hire for Michigan and there isn’t anything wrong with saying/admitting that possibility.

It's not the same thing at all, and I'm glad they hired him.

Reactions: yunginsNU2
I mean...the dude played in the NBA like twice as long as Fred...he grew up and knows (KNOWS) Chicago...he is a name...this was a good hire. Maybe the best they could have hoped for. The #23 recruit in the nation for 2020 is already all over his taint.
This is why I like your postings. No Dabo.

Reactions: JohnRossEwing
It's not the same thing at all, and I'm glad they hired him.

If the hire occurs at your favorite university it is a great situation. If it happens at another university...it could be risky hire and glad we didn't do it.

It is called fan perspective.

Reactions: huskerj12

Actually they had that opportunity and they weren’t ecstatic. Tyronn Lue was supposedly interested in the Husker hoops opening and he was met with crickets from Husker fans.

BS, one is a top 150 player and 3 players live in and come from Memphis. That makes a HUGE difference. I was about to say wow, they are killing it till I noticed 3 of those 7 players (6 top 100, 1 top 150 and 4 are top 100-50...3 top 50-1) are from Memphis Tennessee. Not to hard to get players right in the same town that grew up fans of the team. Including the number 1 player in the country that’s a center.

Edited: i looked it up. Penny has landed all those guys. That’s a great class but like I said...it helps a ton when 3 live right in Memphis. Not the same as landing 7 players from all over the place. Two:it doesn’t mean Howard will have the same luck.

Last edited:
Actually they had that opportunity and they weren’t ecstatic. Tyronn Lue was supposedly interested in the Husker hoops opening and he was met with crickets from Husker fans.

I feel like people would've been plenty stoked to have a coach who was a former player who won an NBA championship as a head coach and went to the Finals every full season he was a coach and was just offered the Lakers job.

Was he actually interested at all though? He has had nothing to do with NU or college bball in the past 20 years and seems to be an NBA guy through and through. I mean, to turn down the Lakers (coincidentally a team he played for just as long as NU) you have to be pretty certain that you can have your pick of future jobs. I just can't imagine our head coaching position being on his radar at all.

BS, one is a top 150 player and 3 players live in and come from Memphis. That makes a HUGE difference. I was about to say wow, they are killing it till I noticed 3 of those 7 players (6 top 100, 1 top 150 and 4 are top 100-50...3 top 50-1) are from Memphis Tennessee. Not to hard to get players right in the same town that grew up fans of the team. Including the number 1 player in the country that’s a center.

Edited: i looked it up. Penny has landed all those guys. That’s a great class but like I said...it helps a ton when 3 live right in Memphis. Not the same as landing 7 players from all over the place. Two:it doesn’t mean Howard will have the same luck.

Oh yeah of course it helps that they are from the area and that he coached a lot of them in AAU...but that is part of it.

Howard will have that type of connection (sort of) in Chicago.

Reactions: huskerssalts
I feel like people would've been plenty stoked to have a coach who was a former player who won an NBA championship as a head coach and went to the Finals every full season he was a coach and was just offered the Lakers job.

Was he actually interested at all though? He has had nothing to do with NU or college bball in the past 20 years and seems to be an NBA guy through and through. I mean, to turn down the Lakers (coincidentally a team he played for just as long as NU) you have to be pretty certain that you can have your pick of future jobs. I just can't imagine our head coaching position being on his radar at all.
There were reports that Lue was indeed interested in the job. On this message board and other forums where fans could share their collective opinions (Twitter, et al), the potential of going for Lue was met with a "meh".

I can't explain why this was the case and while there obviously isn't evidence, I believe there is a chance that is unconscious bias happening here.

Me too and he is a proven winner Coaching in College Basketball..

Nothing against Lue, it he had one of the best on his team winning a NBA championship..
Or the best player specifically wanted Lue. The other guy before him wasn’t getting it done. Lue was a top assistant at Boston under Rivers.

ADVERTISEMENT