ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan at NU Basketball

Excuse #1:

Miles didn't want to waste his team's energy on Senior Night in order to save it up for the needed 5 straight wins to make the Tourney!! :Cool:

And to add insult to injury, they play Coldplay coming back from the break. What a night..

Reactions: HuskerDana
Tim Miles just needs to be given ample time to get his type of players, personally I think he has things going in the right direction for the most part. He did not so long ago get an NCAA tourney game didn't he.

Tim Miles just needs to be given ample time to get his type of players, personally I think he has things going in the right direction for the most part. He did not so long ago get an NCAA tourney game didn't he.
What exactly are Miles' type of players?

Especially when we have articles written of former football players, whose daughter is dating the sole senior, getting into "discussions" with the head coach because of the amount of points scored by the senior and timing of the players removal from the game.

Wowzers.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Especially when we have articles written of former football players, whose daughter is dating the sole senior, getting into "discussions" with the head coach because of the amount of points scored by the senior and timing of the players removal from the game.

Wowzers.

I thought it was stupid to take Tai out with 4 minutes left, when he only needed 2 more points to keep his double-digit scoring streak. Only one other player in the country has scored in double figures in every game. Then Miles says after the game he didn't know how many points Tai had scored? He can't be that clueless, can he?

I imagine if they lose to Penn St it's over for the "funny guy"...but then again, that implies they might be able to get someone better.

It's been said before by others but go after a blueblood assistant with prior head coach experience (they do exist btw...Roberts at Kansas, Capel at Duke, etc). Progress can't be that hard after seasons like we've had lately...

GBR

I imagine if they lose to Penn St it's over for the "funny guy"...but then again, that implies they might be able to get someone better.

It's been said before by others but go after a blueblood assistant with prior head coach experience (they do exist btw...Roberts at Kansas, Capel at Duke, etc). Progress can't be that hard after seasons like we've had lately...

GBR
We've got a nucleus of young guys any coach would love to have. Jordy, Roby, Watson, etc. Miles built great relationships with those guys to get them to NU and I fear IF they can Miles we could lose our most talented guys but these last few games were very disappointing. :(

GBR
Northwestern did it with Collins. Did he have ties there before taking the head coach position?

We've got a nucleus of young guys any coach would love to have. Jordy, Roby, Watson, etc. Miles built great relationships with those guys to get them to NU and I fear IF they can Miles we could lose our most talented guys but these last few games were very disappointing. :(
I have a feeling we will lose some of them whether he stays or not. Nevertheless, I think he should get one more year.

We've got Top 10 facilities and Doc Sadler could recruit to Nebraska at this point. You bring in a solid assistant from a blue blood program and we'll be on our way next year.

Miles is terrible at coaching offense. We've seen the results in technicolor for 5 years. The only reason we went to the Tourney was because Petteway and Shields played outside the confines of his shit offense. It's time to move on.

GBR

That's why Joe Dooley is on my list, he was at KU for like a decade and has done nothing but win at FCGU so far. Bill Self's assistants tend to do well as head coaches, Jankovich at SMU is rolling and Danny Manning has Wake Forest playing pretty well in a brutally tough ACC.

Kenny Payne at Kentucky is a guy I would look at, no head coaching experience yet but boy can he recruit. I would also maybe try to scour the NBA ranks for an up-and-coming assistant....Chip Engelland for the Spurs would be my choice, considered the best shooting coach in the league and has been learning under Popovich for a long time. We desperately need someone who can fix our shooting woes. But my guess is he's waiting for an NBA head coaching job or to take over the Spurs when Pop retires.

Right on que when he whacks Miles the Eichorst haters will show up and cry about what a big meanie he is and how he is ruining NU Athletics. You could set your watch by it. Bo Pelini for life!!

Let's remember the same Milion dollar AD should have fired Bo a year earlier. Will this happen again with the basketball program.

Let's remember the same Milion dollar AD should have fired Bo a year earlier. Will this happen again with the basketball program.
Hope not. Little different situation, some boosters and fans still had a hard on for Bo and his magical 9 win seasons and looked the other way of him being a douche to fans and media. Miles is a nice guy but just not getting results.

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
We will lose some if we keep him. Hell if they can him we probably have a better shot keeping the ones that can actually play at this level.

We've got Top 10 facilities and Doc Sadler could recruit to Nebraska at this point. You bring in a solid assistant from a blue blood program and we'll be on our way next year.

Miles is terrible at coaching offense. We've seen the results in technicolor for 5 years. The only reason we went to the Tourney was because Petteway and Shields played outside the confines of his shit offense. It's time to move on.
Agreed. Great facilities, great arena, great fan support, young talent, playing in Big 10 conference with Big 10 money. The chance to be the first to win a tourney game in school history. I'm sure we could find someone worth a damn.

Last edited:
I thought it was stupid to take Tai out with 4 minutes left, when he only needed 2 more points to keep his double-digit scoring streak. Only one other player in the country has scored in double figures in every game. Then Miles says after the game he didn't know how many points Tai had scored? He can't be that clueless, can he?
Personally im glad miles wasnt focusing on that although i guess i wish tai coulda done it.

Be nice to have a coach elevate the program.......
Evan Daniels‏Verified account @EvanDaniels 14m14 minutes ago
More
UNC-Wilmington is dancing again. Kevin Keatts has won more games in the last 3 seasons than UNCW won the previous 8 years combined.
wink.gif

Be nice to have a coach elevate the program.......
Evan Daniels‏Verified account @EvanDaniels 14m14 minutes ago
More
UNC-Wilmington is dancing again. Kevin Keatts has won more games in the last 3 seasons than UNCW won the previous 8 years combined.
wink.gif

To be fair, Miles did the same thing at Colorado State. That program was a dumpster fire when he took over. Same goes for Barry Collier and Butler. Goes to show that success at lower levels doesn't always transfer to this level.

Losing by 30, and people worried about how many point their kid got. Is the definition of losing culture.

Outsider here, but from my perspective this is 100% correct. The coach should have the full backing of the administration to tell fans/parents to go pound sand if they are upset over some meaningless double-digit scoring streak being ended when the team is losing by 36 at home on Senior Day. Who is the Sam Hill cares if a player scored in double figures every game? Last I looked it was a team sport.

Reactions: Bugeater
Please stop with starting transfer rumors.
I can't see guys that know they would have to sit out a year leaving unless they followed Miles to another program. The Iverson kid left Tubby because he wanted to play for Miles his senior year only to have us hire Miles away. Maybe somebody like Horne would leave for more PT, but IF for some reason we have a new coach, I would think his ego would say that he was going to play more for somebody else even though his D and O consistency sucked. We had way too many guys that were reckless with the ball this year and Webster, Morrow and Horne were the worst offenders IMO.

turnover prone, not good at shooting, weak hands that lose the ball constantly when rebounding, driving, or in the post.
This is not a Miles-only thing (because I noticed it under Doc as well), but has anyone noticed we are terrible at simply catching passes? Maybe it's just me, but for years I have noticed that a good chunk of our guys have trouble catching the ball clean. This directly effects shooting percentages, because it allows the opponents defense to recover while our guys try to re-control the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT