ADVERTISEMENT

Meyer text messages allegedly recovered re: asst domestic abuse in 2015

I'm not predicting anything, but I'm hearing talk show folks and their guests start to back track on their initial "He's gone" first take. We'll see.

I am too, and that really, really bothers me. He's a slimeball, always has been, despite being one of the best coaches working today.

Ain't illegal to be a slimeball.

No, it isn't, but we're not talking about what is legal and what isn't, we're talking about a track record of decisions, or the lack thereof, that indicate this guy allows his programs to become crazy. Even Stephen A Smith, whom I don't particularly care for, brought that point up: "I don't necessarily want him fired exactly for this, but I definitely want him fired for the 32 arrests in Florida WITH all of this."

He's right. It shows a long track record of extremely shady programs.

No, it isn't, but we're not talking about what is legal and what isn't, we're talking about a track record of decisions, or the lack thereof, that indicate this guy allows his programs to become crazy. Even Stephen A Smith, whom I don't particularly care for, brought that point up: "I don't necessarily want him fired exactly for this, but I definitely want him fired for the 32 arrests in Florida WITH all of this."

He's right. It shows a long track record of extremely shady programs.

An even longer track record of winning national titles and Heisman's outweigh all of those.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Feels to me like the tide is turning towards Urban keeping his job.

I think the powers that be at Ohio State were in damage control mode from the moment he lied to the media about not knowing about the '15 incident. Urban Meyer's letter to the public was written by the legal team at Ohio State, and IMO I don't think they ever planned on firing him. They just had to make it look like he wasn't fully 'engaged' with the media, so it wouldn't look like he didn't mention any of this to the admin of the school, because that would implicate both UM and the school with the lack of oversight being a systemic problem.

There will have to be a scapegoat of some sort that will have to take the fall for not taking action on UM's report of one of his coaches' domestic abuse in '15. This should happen in the next few weeks, to much less media scrutiny, since the story will have died down to a large degree. JMO.

Reactions: jlb321
Did he do something in 2009 as well?
I believe this was the first accusation of Smith abusing his wife. According to Courtney Smith, one of Meyers staff convinced her not to press charges because Zach was just drunk and he wouldn't do it again and that he would also lose his job because of it. Also, Urban Meyer and his wife supposedly counseled the Smith to try and help them out with their "problems".

I think the powers that be at Ohio State were in damage control mode from the moment he lied to the media about not knowing about the '15 incident. Urban Meyer's letter to the public was written by the legal team at Ohio State, and IMO I don't think they ever planned on firing him. They just had to make it look like he wasn't fully 'engaged' with the media, so it wouldn't look like he didn't mention any of this to the admin of the school, because that would implicate both UM and the school with the lack of oversight being a systemic problem.

There will have to be a scapegoat of some sort that will have to take the fall for not taking action on UM's report of one of his coaches' domestic abuse in '15. This should happen in the next few weeks, to much less media scrutiny, since the story will have died down to a large degree. JMO.

I don't think this story is going to die down. It's going to be brought up the first time the TV cameras show Urban Meyer's face in a game and I'm almost positive fanbases outside of Ohio State will root for the other team. They want Ohio State to fail because it's a good likelihood Urban is going to keep his job.

Time is different but TO would not be fired today if he had just won a NC like Urban did. What did Urban do? he fibbed in a press conference. You can be President of the US and get away with telling blatant lies about nuclear deals with Iran or meetings with Russians.

Nuclear deals? Are you in the CIA or something? Is there espionage going on in the program? I knew it. I bet delaney and eichorst have something to do with this.

You couldn’t be more incorrect on placing him on administrative leave. That is an essential part of the investigation and should be done. The investigators are free to contact anyone, look at files, emails, etc without Urban being around. He has no opportunity to tamper with or alter anything as he is out of the picture. The whole idea is to conduct a complete investigation as soon and as quickly as possible and having the accused around is a problem, been there done that.

No way this would ever just blow over. What wishful planet are you living on. People are piling on from all over about current and past events.

There are some very good and valid points being made here for and against um getting canned. But, that being said, I think um with snake his way out of this because I bet there is some very big alumni/major donor money on his side. I just don't think osu will want to antagonize the power brokers thinking this will eventually blow over. I bet um is their golden boy.

But, between this and the wrestling team physician scandal, osu is going to stink up its pr for a few years. However, we will all see what happens in the long run.

It is a reflection on our society. We don't value truthfulness and integrity the way we used to. In fact, the example set by the leader of the free world does impact how we view OSU.

Maybe you have a point, but is weak, and this is NOTHING new at all. Look at history and discover LBJ and Viet Nam, tricky dick Nixon and watergate, and--well--"slick willie" Clinton.

So, what's this got to do with questionable, bend but don't break the rules or get caught at it football coaches which have operated that way since before the 1890's.

Maybe you have a point, but is weak, and this is NOTHING new at all. Look at history and discover LBJ and Viet Nam, tricky dick Nixon and watergate, and--well--"slick willie" Clinton.

So, what's this got to do with questionable, bend but don't break the rules or get caught at it football coaches which have operated that way since before the 1890's.
So what? Murder isn't new either, but it's still illegal to cover for somebody who does it.

Once again, not how anything works. The fact that people got away with things in the past is not a reason you don't hold somebody accountable in the present.

Reactions: timnsun
So what? Murder isn't new either, but it's still illegal to cover for somebody who does it.

Once again, not how anything works. The fact that people got away with things in the past is not a reason you don't hold somebody accountable in the present.

Please read the previous message I was addressing

I am not advocating that this is admirable or shouldn't be punished. You read too much into my statements without placing it in context. I was addressing the last guy's post as to his linking some people's excusing um's behavior because he feels the current president, in his opinion, is blatantly lying.

I just find it interesting that everything wrong in this society is, lately, blamed on one guy in the white house who somehow invented bad behavior. For the record I don't like any politician, but I was only pointing out that bad behavior has been going on for a long, long time. I never said it was right or proper. Actually, it's disgusting.

But, let's get real. Every society is sick, some just much more than others, but the president didn't cause people to think the way they do to excuse poor behavior. I asked how dinglefritze's bad thoughts about the president have anything to do with um and osu football.

Please read the previous message I was addressing

I am not advocating that this is admirable or shouldn't be punished. You read too much into my statements without placing it in context. I was addressing the last guy's post as to his linking some people's excusing um's behavior because he feels the current president, in his opinion, is blatantly lying.

I just find it interesting that everything wrong in this society is, lately, blamed on one guy in the white house who somehow invented bad behavior. For the record I don't like any politician, but I was only pointing out that bad behavior has been going on for a long, long time. I never said it was right or proper. Actually, it's disgusting.

But, let's get real. Every society is sick, some just much more than others, but the president didn't cause people to think the way they do to excuse poor behavior. I asked how dinglefritze's bad thoughts about the president have anything to do with um and osu football.

That completely ignores the fact that leaders lead in part by setting an example. Just something to take into consideration.

As to how that has to do with UM, in this case, it doesn't, it has to do with UM and UM alone. He was running a sleazy program at Florida during Bush and Obama years, and he's running a sleazy program at OSU under Obama and now Trump years. I think the point being made, more often than not here, is that today's environment is a lot less tolerant of bigotry and abuse in general, because despite the pig in the Oval Office, we are shifting as a country away from letting things slide and more towards trying to expose and call out those types of things.

That completely ignores the fact that leaders lead in part by setting an example. Just something to take into consideration.

As to how that has to do with UM, in this case, it doesn't, it has to do with UM and UM alone. He was running a sleazy program at Florida during Bush and Obama years, and he's running a sleazy program at OSU under Obama and now Trump years. I think the point being made, more often than not here, is that today's environment is a lot less tolerant of bigotry and abuse in general, because despite the pig in the Oval Office, we are shifting as a country away from letting things slide and more towards trying to expose and call out those types of things.

I can only speak for myself, here but maybe you are right about example leadership. I can't identify myself with that because, thank heavens, I have never been one to pattern my life or actions after any politician. That thought is repugnant to me.

The key to a recruits heart is through his mother.. Will a mom want to send a kid to a place where a coach covered up the choking of a woman close to his family on the grounds that it will hurt the program. There were many options that didn't require cold firing...counseling, suspension, demotion, alternative placement at another program. If this impacts Urban's ability to be the high moral character to young kids then OSU has a decision to make. They will still be able to get the pick of the litter in terms of coaching talent and if Urban can't recruit to a top level, it is better to cut ties now and call it morality, rather than wait until the team weakens and he is fired for lack of effectiveness.

What did Urban do that is a worthy of firing and how would have firing Smith earlier helped his ex-wife? THAT is the crux of the issue. IMO, Meyer screwed up big time by lying to the media which hurts his credibility big time going forward but I don't think it rises to the point of firing. IMO, firing Smith would have only harmed his ex-wife by removing Smith's ability to support her and their children.

What did Urban do that is a worthy of firing and how would have firing Smith earlier helped his ex-wife? THAT is the crux of the issue. IMO, Meyer screwed up big time by lying to the media which hurts his credibility big time going forward but I don't think it rises to the point of firing. IMO, firing Smith would have only harmed his ex-wife by removing Smith's ability to support her and their children.

Yep she needed those beatings so she could keep getting his money. How dare she seek police protection when there is money to be provided.

Reactions: REGPrimus
Yep she needed those beatings so she could keep getting his money. How dare she seek police protection when there is money to be provided.
Firing the guy would have no effect on the abuse. If anything it might have made it worse. Seeking police protection and making sure her ex-husband got fired are not related UNLESS she's a crazy woman trying to get revenge. Not once have I suggested she shouldn't have called police or sought a restraining order. Keep trying Tuco.

I knew this one guy who was screwed over by his wife one time so therefore every woman is an evil manipulator.
No. I know several guys who had their ex attempt to get protection orders filed against them as a legal tactic to try to get custody of the kids. One of my attorney friends said it was pretty much a standard legal tactic. That said, a friend of mine is an abuse survivor who runs a women's shelter. I have given time and money to that cause. I just know both sides of the issue and I know what happens to those women financially when their ex loses his job. The money dries up pretty quickly and they're often left on a pretty meager government assistance. Fear of the financial consequences is one of the biggest reasons they don't leave in the first place so you're WAY off base if you don't think money plays in to the whole situation.

I don't know. I'm not the one that decides if anyone is fired, but as I said above, I don't think um will be.

Firing the guy would have no effect on the abuse. If anything it might have made it worse. Seeking police protection and making sure her ex-husband got fired are not related UNLESS she's a crazy woman trying to get revenge. Not once have I suggested she shouldn't have called police or sought a restraining order. Keep trying Tuco.

Do you have any evidence that she “made sure” her husband was fired? From the timeline I posted she had nothing to do with this going public.

Also do you have any evidence that she needed his money? Do you know what she does for a living? What he parents did? If she is a trust fund baby?

...as conservatives are attacked by loonies on the left routinely.
pull your head out.

Reactions: bshirt73
Do you have any evidence that she “made sure” her husband was fired? From the timeline I posted she had nothing to do with this going public.

Also do you have any evidence that she needed his money? Do you know what she does for a living? What he parents did? If she is a trust fund baby?
Read slowly. I'll type slowly for you. Winking This is about whether or not Urban should be fired for not firing Smith earlier then lying about knowing about the 2015 incident in the press conference. As far as her going public, she's been quoted on the record as saying that Urban knew all along about the abuse going back to 2009. She didn't have to do that. That is irrelevant to whether or not Urban firing Smith earlier would have helped her situation or not. There can be little doubt that Urban firing Smith earlier would have been very detrimental to her and her children's financial situation. That's all. I've seen way too many of these situations to make decisions before all of the facts are shown in court and even then those facts can get skewed by incompetent judges and slick attorneys. I deal in logic and logically Smith getting fired hurts does nothing to prevent the abuse and definitely hurts her financially in the long run.....unless somehow she gets OSU in front of a jury wanting to award her millions of dollars.

Read slowly. I'll type slowly for you. Winking This is about whether or not Urban should be fired for not firing Smith earlier then lying about knowing about the 2015 incident in the press conference. As far as her going public, she's been quoted on the record as saying that Urban knew all along about the abuse going back to 2009. She didn't have to do that. That is irrelevant to whether or not Urban firing Smith earlier would have helped her situation or not. There can be little doubt that Urban firing Smith earlier would have been very detrimental to her and her children's financial situation. That's all. I've seen way too many of these situations to make decisions before all of the facts are shown in court and even then those facts can get skewed by incompetent judges and slick attorneys. I deal in logic and logically Smith getting fired hurts does nothing to prevent the abuse and definitely hurts her financially in the long run.....unless somehow she gets OSU in front of a jury wanting to award her millions of dollars.

You say it is about Meyer being fired, write nothing about that.

Dude she answered questions truthfully about Meyer. That’s it.

Why is this all about money to you? You sound like some dude from the 40’s feeling sorry for the little lady because she is just ill equipped to take care of herself and her family. You don’t know a damn thing about her financial situation or what she is doing to support herself.

Maybe it was detrimental, but again READ SLOWLY, she didn’t go to McMurphy, he found the stuff and ran with it.

Dude she answered questions truthfully about Meyer. That’s it.

Why is this all about money to you? You sound like some dude from the 40’s feeling sorry for the little lady because she is just ill equipped to take care of herself and her family. You don’t know a damn thing about her financial situation or what she is doing to support herself.

Maybe it was detrimental, but again READ SLOWLY, she didn’t go to McMurphy, he found the stuff and ran with it.
I'm a dude from the 50s and my wife makes 10 times as much as me now (in taxable income). BUT in MOST cases these women ARE ill prepared to take care of themselves financially. I don't know what her situation is for sure. Maybe her family is loaded and it's not a problem but I doubt it. In MOST cases these women are devastated financially and if they are working it's at a low level job that barely pays for the child care they have to get to go to work. The only bright spot is IF their ex is gainfully employed to the point that he can support himself AND makes enough to support a whole extra household worth of roof expenses. It's a tough deal and AGAIN, the number one reason women (and sometimes men) don't leave abusive situations is FINANCIAL fear. Sooo Smith losing his job is likely not a positive for her. That's all. I'm done.

New news?
Supposedly someone has a Facebook story saying that Zach Smith's grandma says that Courtney Smith was the aggressor and not Zach. And also something about Courtney Smith's mom agreeing. I think they are both batshit crazy, but I still feel that Zach beat her. He'll, the texts McMurphy have show him basically confirming he beat her and that he threatened to kill/beat her and her boyfriend a couple times.

Supposedly someone has a Facebook story saying that Zach Smith's grandma says that Courtney Smith was the aggressor and not Zach. And also something about Courtney Smith's mom agreeing. I think they are both batshit crazy, but I still feel that Zach beat her. He'll, the texts McMurphy have show him basically confirming he beat her and that he threatened to kill/beat her and her boyfriend a couple times.
I haven't read all the texts, but that one text that was going around that he "admitted" to abusing her doesn't prove a damn thing.

ADVERTISEMENT