ADVERTISEMENT

Meyer text messages allegedly recovered re: asst domestic abuse in 2015

None of this is really smoking gun stuff. But The kid that had staph that they ignored to the point that he almost died is troubling. Couple this with Zach Smith coverup, no one would survive this not even Urban Meyer

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
I haven't seen the whole story, but I'm calling BS.. this is the tale of a woman going after some money and she doesn't care who's lives she wrecks in the process.

Seems you believe her story. I'm more skeptical.. follow the money.. that is what this is about. That's what I think anyways.
I agree to a point with your opinion. Let the legal process play out. I will tell you that I have seen instances where a woman goes batshit crazy, takes a whack at her husband/boyfriend and then cries domestic abuse when he grabs her to get her to stop. It does in fact happen. Just recently we saw a woman KILL her veteran fiance over a paranoid idea that he was having an affair with a woman he wanted to invite to their wedding. The population of violent women offenders in prison has exploded in the last decade in my state. It's incredible. There is all kinds of crazy in the world and it often involves both parties when this stuff hits the fan. Ultimately the man almost always takes the fall. FWIW, I'm not buying some of the alleged text message "evidence" unless I see that it was admitted in court. I don't know what the evidence will show but thank God trials don't happen via social media.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Morally bankrupt.

Is there a coach in college football that is anymore smug and disingenuous than Urban. I think he is a jerk. He will always respond to a question in post game interview about why his team scored another touchdown late in a blowout game by saying "I didn't even know what the score was". BS. Tell the truth. Say you want to increase your team's chances of being ranked high in the polls or have one of your players set a record. He knows every minute of the game what the score is. (by the way I am all for blow-out wins. It is up to your opponent to stop you. Just don't lie about it).

There's three points of interest in my mind regarding this whole thing:

1- Even if all of this checks out, I still firmly believe nothing will happen IMO. Michigan State and Baylor have gotten away with much worse this decade and not a lot has happened to their programs. Don't get me wrong though, Urban's seat is blazing hot right now.

2- Abuse of any kind should have no place in our society, especially in college football. Yet, it happens again and again. Hopefully Moos and HCSF use this as exhibit A to our entire athletic department moving forward of how to deal with these things if/when they arise.

3- Just like back in December with Frost, Brett McMurphy is first to the story. I know it's investigative journalism and it is absolutely in my mind necessary a certain type of oxygen for democracy in our country, but why did it come from him first?

Do you really think ESPN wants to lead the pack on these type of stories? They will pile on once Urban is down, but until then they will kiss his butt.

I agree to a point with your opinion. Let the legal process play out. I will tell you that I have seen instances where a woman goes batshit crazy, takes a whack at her husband/boyfriend and then cries domestic abuse when he grabs her to get her to stop. It does in fact happen. Just recently we saw a woman KILL her veteran fiance over a paranoid idea that he was having an affair with a woman he wanted to invite to their wedding. The population of violent women offenders in prison has exploded in the last decade in my state. It's incredible. There is all kinds of crazy in the world and it often involves both parties when this stuff hits the fan. Ultimately the man almost always takes the fall. FWIW, I'm not buying some of the alleged text message "evidence" unless I see that it was admitted in court. I don't know what the evidence will show but thank God trials don't happen via social media.
Long con by the ex-wife. Marry, have a couple kids. Fake abuse. Get that paper trail big enough. Hope Urb does nothing. BOOM. Show me the money tOSU.

You and Nikki be on to something here.

Long con by the ex-wife. Marry, have a couple kids. Fake abuse. Get that paper trail big enough. Hope Urb does nothing. BOOM. Show me the money tOSU.

I know. Sounds crazy but I've seen guys put up with an amazing amount from a woman because she was the mother of their kids. Obviously the woman being abused is the most common BUT as I told somebody a few months ago when we were discussing a friend's failed marriage, "it takes 2 to Tango". I just knew more about the situation than they did from actually seeing the woman's behavior. I've seen both sides of it. Not saying that is the case here. Just saying I'm not going to convict the guy without knowing the full evidence. Leave it to the courts.

What exactly would be her claim against OSU? From what I've seen she isn't alleging any physical abuse after the October 2015 incident which resulted in the text exchanges with Shelley and raised the possibility that Shelley had discussed it with Meyer. I haven't seen anything that indicates that she believes that Meyer or OSU should have done something before that date, and she made the decision (after pressure from Earle Bruce) to allow the felony charges against Smith to be dropped in 2009. I'm not seeing the grounds for damages.

What exactly would be her claim against OSU? From what I've seen she isn't alleging any physical abuse after the October 2015 incident which resulted in the text exchanges with Shelley and raised the possibility that Shelley had discussed it with Meyer. I haven't seen anything that indicates that she believes that Meyer or OSU should have done something before that date, and she made the decision (after pressure from Earle Bruce) to allow the felony charges against Smith to be dropped in 2009. I'm not seeing the grounds for damages.
Sorry, I was being sarcastic.

things are eventually going to progress to the point where these high profile coaches are going to have legal counsel present for all interviews.

Urban was ill prepared to answer difficult questions posed during what was supposed to be a conference love fest at BIG ten media days.

A simple "no comment" or "i'm not going to comment until i have had a chance to adequately review the facts of the allegations" would have gone a long way. It's amazing how supposedly smart people feel compelled to answer all questions when a microphone is put in their face.

No comment, yes I agree. But the question posed was about his recollection and knowledge of a specific incident. Saying I’m not going to reply until I’ve had a chance to review the facts would make him look stupid. Maybe saved his job, but would have looked as guilty as denying it. IMHO.

so, in regards to his contract clause where he has to report violations as they are reported to him. Many people think this is the clause that could cause him to be fired with cause. Wonder if he can bypass that with the technicality that he signed that contract AFTER this was reported to him.

I think he gets a buyout to step down.

so, in regards to his contract clause where he has to report violations as they are reported to him. Many people think this is the clause that could cause him to be fired with cause. Wonder if he can bypass that with the technicality that he signed that contract AFTER this was reported to him.

I think he gets a buyout to step down.
Bruce Feldman reported the University would owe him $38.5 million if they cannot prove cause. IF they can prove cause they won't owe him a nickel, but like you mentioned they'll probably negotiate a decreased buyout.

Well the “cause” here was determined after the incident. May hold up if he really wanted to fight it. I’m guessing he still gets an 8 figure buyout

No comment, yes I agree. But the question posed was about his recollection and knowledge of a specific incident. Saying I’m not going to reply until I’ve had a chance to review the facts would make him look stupid. Maybe saved his job, but would have looked as guilty as denying it. IMHO.
We're already seeing a setup where I can see Urban returning as coach. "I was surprised by the question in the presser and under pressure I misspoke. I did the right thing at the time of the incident and I'm very sorry for the storm my mistake in the press conference caused." OSU then can come back and say, "we've investigated this and have concluded that other than the mistake he made in the press conference, Urban has done nothing wrong" We live in a "gotcha" media world and even though I am not an Urban fan, I don't like the way the media crucifies someone when in fact how OSU and Urban handled that situation had no bearing on the woman's situation other than the ability of Smith to pay alimony and child support. SO, was it better for the woman if Smith kept his job OR was it better to can him back in 2015? That's an easy answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldjar07
Actually it's good for Ohio st you can't tell me the administration didn't know what good ole urb was like imo they wanted to win at all costs hoping urb would change but the ugliness reared its head again once a slim ball always a slim ball. No it a no win situation if they fire him there out almost 40 mill if they keep him Ohio st will be forever tarnished they might as well hire smith back or make him a professor teach a class women beating 101.

We're already seeing a setup where I can see Urban returning as coach. "I was surprised by the question in the presser and under pressure I misspoke. I did the right thing at the time of the incident and I'm very sorry for the storm my mistake in the press conference caused." OSU then can come back and say, "we've investigated this and have concluded that other than the mistake he made in the press conference, Urban has done nothing wrong" We live in a "gotcha" media world and even though I am not an Urban fan, I don't like the way the media crucifies someone when in fact how OSU and Urban handled that situation had no bearing on the woman's situation other than the ability of Smith to pay alimony and child support. SO, was it better for the woman if Smith kept his job OR was it better to can him back in 2015? That's an easy answer.

Nobody will buy the Gotcha media angle. He fired the WR coach the day before media days for an incident that happened in 2015. If he wasn’t prepared to answer questions about when he found out about the incident, then he is either incompetent, stupid or arrogant.

If I ask you when you found out your employee was beating his wife, answering with I need some time to review the facts is not a good answer. Last week, 2015, never? No one was looking for a specific date and time.

They knew enough to fire the guy, surely they had time to put together a plan on how they were going to answer questions about the firing.

The smart move would have been to nip it from the jump and say “we made a move to fire the WR coach, we won’t be answering any questions with regards to that at this time. We will address that at a later time”. Then you can say no comment or repeat that verbatim if someone asks.

Nobody will buy the Gotcha media angle. He fired the WR coach the day before media days for an incident that happened in 2015. If he wasn’t prepared to answer questions about when he found out about the incident, then he is either incompetent, stupid or arrogant.

If I ask you when you found out your employee was beating his wife, answering with I need some time to review the facts is not a good answer. Last week, 2015, never? No one was looking for a specific date and time.

They knew enough to fire the guy, surely they had time to put together a plan on how they were going to answer questions about the firing.

The smart move would have been to nip it from the jump and say “we made a move to fire the WR coach, we won’t be answering any questions with regards to that at this time. We will address that at a later time”. Then you can say no comment or repeat that verbatim if someone asks.
Yes that would have been the smart move. But what difference does it make if he lied about it? He wasn't on trial or under oath. It was just the media.

And Ohio State was stupid for placing him on administrative leave. That's what really caused a shit storm. If you just keep him on staff as normal, everything would have blown over in a couple days. But place him on leave, and this is going to drag on for weeks and months.

Should have fired him in 2009

Lots of real good points of view and scenarios. I think it's pretty bad the way the conference is getting look. PSU, MSU and now this. Rates an awshit.

Lots of real good points of view and scenarios. I think it's pretty bad the way the conference is getting look. PSU, MSU and now this. Rates an awshit.
And don't forget the bigger picture with OSU and the investigation of sexual abuse by a university team doctor.

Reactions: Sinomatic
Yes that would have been the smart move. But what difference does it make if he lied about it? He wasn't on trial or under oath. It was just the media.

And Ohio State was stupid for placing him on administrative leave. That's what really caused a shit storm. If you just keep him on staff as normal, everything would have blown over in a couple days. But place him on leave, and this is going to drag on for weeks and months.

Yep. I bet it would have just blown over. Nothing to see here. Get real

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Yep. I bet it would have just blown over. Nothing to see here. Get real
If I were a betting man, I would bet he's on OSU's sideline in a headset when they start B1G play. Today I heard at least one nationally syndicated sports show walking back the feeding frenzy suggesting that they weren't sure he deserved to be fired.

Hey c'mon. It is just beating your wife and possibly endangering your kids. Enough I guess for a judge to issue an order. Covering it up and lying about it and then keeping him on staff for this many years, I mean, hey, what's the big deal? Don't we all want coaches like that around our kids to toughen them up? The important thing is to protect Urban and OSU of course.

They more it drags on the better it looks that he will stay.
would be very surprising and the backlash would be strong.

Reactions: timnsun
They more it drags on the better it looks that he will stay.
would be very surprising and the backlash would be strong.
The backlash already was strong. OSU's mistake was putting him on leave. That's what led to all the speculation he was going to get fired. The sooner they name what the actual punishment will be the quicker this will die down.

whats up with schiano, isn't he like OSU's 2nd in command? Wasn't he involved in covering up or ignoring the Sandusky issue?

Actually it's good for Ohio st you can't tell me the administration didn't know what good ole urb was like imo they wanted to win at all costs hoping urb would change but the ugliness reared its head again once a slim ball always a slim ball. No it a no win situation if they fire him there out almost 40 mill if they keep him Ohio st will be forever tarnished they might as well hire smith back or make him a professor teach a class women beating 101.
Actually I was able to cure my slim ball with Testiflate.

Well on the one side if he does keep his position, the wins vs OSU will be worth a darn.

You might be right. Two years ago, prior to the Hashtag MeToo era, I'd have agreed with you wholeheartedly. I'm not so sure now.
I think he is gone. Ohio St is bigger than Urban Meyer and could have pick of just about any coach in the country. I doubt they are going to want any sort of bad publicity from this. Especially in today society. Stuff spreads like wild fire true or not.

I think he is gone. Ohio St is bigger than Urban Meyer and could have pick of just about any coach in the country. I doubt they are going to want any sort of bad publicity from this. Especially in today society. Stuff spreads like wild fire true or not.
Do you remember how the media went after TO over Lawrence Phillips? How did that turn out? The deal with LP was at least as bad as UM fibbing in a press conference and TO survived. UM is OSU's TO so unless they have a Pearlman running the show, UM is going to survive. OSU could have lots of coaches, but nobody out there they could get has shown they can run a program like Urb. Love him or hate him, he's run a tremendous football program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT