ADVERTISEMENT

Meyer text messages allegedly recovered re: asst domestic abuse in 2015

So now we have created the big nanny state, where everyone has to report on everyone and everything.. sigh.. why did this woman have to drag everyone including the university into her personal problems? She should have just went to the cops. Now because she has a red mark on her arm, she's gonna take down the whole friggen university for money. Unbelievable.

So now we have created the big nanny state, where everyone has to report on everyone and everything.. sigh.. why did this woman have to drag everyone including the university into her personal problems? She should have just went to the cops. Now because she has a red mark on her arm, she's gonna take down the whole friggen university for money. Unbelievable.

giphy.gif

Well, if I'm following this story correctly, she did go to the cops and told them she wanted a restraining order from the dirtbag. It took her a year because the cops weren't real helpful, but she did finally get the restraining order in 2016, but dirtbag had a hard time following the orders in that restraining order. Had dirtbag dropped the kid off where he was supposed to, he wouldn't have been fired, Meyer wouldn't have had to lie about the 2015 incident and we wouldn't have known anything about any of this.

Not sure if serious... if so, this is unbelievable. Years of abuse, going to the cops, keeping it quiet, finally had enough. And you are blaming her for OSU’s potential demise. Wow.

Well, if I'm following this story correctly, she did go to the cops and told them she wanted a restraining order from the dirtbag. It took her a year because the cops weren't real helpful, but she did finally get the restraining order in 2016, but dirtbag had a hard time following the orders in that restraining order. Had dirtbag dropped the kid off where he was supposed to, he wouldn't have been fired, Meyer wouldn't have had to lie about the 2015 incident and we wouldn't have known anything about any of this.
I haven't seen the whole story, but I'm calling BS.. this is the tale of a woman going after some money and she doesn't care who's lives she wrecks in the process.
Not sure if serious... if so, this is unbelievable. Years of abuse, going to the cops, keeping it quiet, finally had enough. And you are blaming her for OSU’s potential demise. Wow.
Seems you believe her story. I'm more skeptical.. follow the money.. that is what this is about. That's what I think anyways.

Wow. I don't have the words. You make me sad.
Why? because I'm not going to just take her version of events at face value and bestow all this empathy on her when the story isn't even completely out yet, much less the other side of it. It's people like you that convict people in the polls of public opinion without knowing all the facts, that is what makes me sad.

And people wonder why “flyover” country gets a bad name?!!! JFC u really can’t be this fing stupid right? You have to be trolling.

I haven't seen the whole story, but I'm calling BS.. this is the tale of a woman going after some money and she doesn't care who's lives she wrecks in the process.

Seems you believe her story. I'm more skeptical.. follow the money.. that is what this is about. That's what I think anyways.
All I would recommend is getting updated on the story. There is much more to it than a little he said she said. You are perfectly entitled to form your own opinion, I would just suggest reading the police reports, texts, judgements, etc.

Judges don’t just randomly issue 5 year protective orders for not only an ex-wife, but also 2 children while also saying all three lives are in danger without some pretty substantial proof.

"COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Police reports obtained by cleveland.com detail a tumultuous three years of domestic incidents between former Ohio State receivers coach Zach Smith and his ex-wife, Courtney Smith.

Nine reports obtained from Powell police involving Zach Smith and/or Courtney Smith between the dates of January 1, 2012 and July 26, 2018 involve domestic disputes between the Smiths, who divorced in 2016. That includes an alleged incident of domestic abuse on Oct. 25, 2015.

In that report, which was previously revealed last week, Courtney Smith claimed to be the victim of sustained physical abuse at the hands of her ex-husband.

The nine reports handled by Powell police that mention domestic issues show that Courtney Smith was repeatedly talking about the problems with her husband."

Here's the police report:
http://media.cleveland.com/osu_impact/other/2015-10-26.pdf

Reactions: NikkiSixx
"COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Police reports obtained by cleveland.com detail a tumultuous three years of domestic incidents between former Ohio State receivers coach Zach Smith and his ex-wife, Courtney Smith.

Nine reports obtained from Powell police involving Zach Smith and/or Courtney Smith between the dates of January 1, 2012 and July 26, 2018 involve domestic disputes between the Smiths, who divorced in 2016. That includes an alleged incident of domestic abuse on Oct. 25, 2015.

In that report, which was previously revealed last week, Courtney Smith claimed to be the victim of sustained physical abuse at the hands of her ex-husband.

The nine reports handled by Powell police that mention domestic issues show that Courtney Smith was repeatedly talking about the problems with her husband."

Here's the police report:
http://media.cleveland.com/osu_impact/other/2015-10-26.pdf
Was he ever convicted?

maybe try reading the story before coming in holy than thou and looking like a fool.

As Sean Connery said in "Hunt for Red "October", he acted stupidly. He didn't just slip up, he dug his grave with the shovel he had.
things are eventually going to progress to the point where these high profile coaches are going to have legal counsel present for all interviews.

Urban was ill prepared to answer difficult questions posed during what was supposed to be a conference love fest at BIG ten media days.

A simple "no comment" or "i'm not going to comment until i have had a chance to adequately review the facts of the allegations" would have gone a long way. It's amazing how supposedly smart people feel compelled to answer all questions when a microphone is put in their face.

Reactions: timnsun and jlb321

If there are literally hundreds of texts, and in those texts Shelley Meyer saying Urban probably needs to know, and lots of pictures, along with all of the police reports, that is enough for me to think there’s more here than a get rich quick scheme.

I think there is plenty of evidence that he was abusive. Did UM know this? I think so, but who knows?

Why? because I'm not going to just take her version of events at face value and bestow all this empathy on her when the story isn't even completely out yet, much less the other side of it. It's people like you that convict people in the polls of public opinion without knowing all the facts, that is what makes me sad.

if she had a restraining order, it would seam someone else already had taken her word for it

If there are literally hundreds of texts, and in those texts Shelley Meyer saying Urban probably needs to know, and lots of pictures, along with all of the police reports, that is enough for me to think there’s more here than a get rich quick scheme.

I think there is plenty of evidence that he was abusive. Did UM know this? I think so, but who knows?

Texts from other coaches wives say that Urban and Zach talked about this and that Urban knew.

Zach Smith has added #Notme to his Twitter page. What a piece of S%&$. I'd seriously love it if some random guy knocked him the F out.

Reactions: headcard
Spousal abuse is abhorrent behavior, and I wouldn't want such a coach on my team. But, if he was never convicted of a crime I'm not sure there was a legal requirement for Meyer or the university to have fired him. This is nothing like Penn State, because the police were well aware of the incidents and there is no allegation that Meyer had any obligation to report something to police or that he tried to impede an investigation in any manner. Seems like it was already public information if the police had been called that many times. He might have lied to the press at the BIG press day, but did he lie to his employer? Don't get me wrong, its certainly a black eye. But, I just don't think I'd get to excited about tOSU canning him just yet. My guess is they suspend him without pay for a few gimmie non-conference games and pat themselves on the back for taking decisive action. Sure, they'd get some bad press and probably have some protestors outside the stadium for a few games. But, they aren't going to throw away what they have going. NOTE: my comment is only about Meyer - if what is said about the abuse is true, then the Smith needs to go to spend some time in jail.

Spousal abuse is abhorrent behavior, and I wouldn't want such a coach on my team. But, if he was never convicted of a crime I'm not sure there was a legal requirement for Meyer or the university to have fired him. This is nothing like Penn State, because the police were well aware of the incidents and there is no allegation that Meyer had any obligation to report something to police or that he tried to impede an investigation in any manner. Seems like it was already public information if the police had been called that many times. He might have lied to the press at the BIG press day, but did he lie to his employer? Don't get me wrong, its certainly a black eye. But, I just don't think I'd get to excited about tOSU canning him just yet. My guess is they suspend him without pay for a few gimmie non-conference games and pat themselves on the back for taking decisive action. Sure, they'd get some bad press and probably have some protestors outside the stadium for a few games. But, they aren't going to throw away what they have going. NOTE: my comment is only about Meyer - if what is said about the abuse is true, then the Smith needs to go to spend some time in jail.
I don't think this comes down to whether Urban had fired him or not, but rather if he had reported it to his superiors. Now, what OSU ends up doing with him is another topic. They may be sympathetic to him, but in my opinion, if you are a coach and you have worked together as long as these two have, you know if you've got a POS or not. He must have had some other motivation for keeping this guy on his staff this long. In my opinion, this is where he fell off the rails, because of some concern or care for this POS coach. Maybe he thought he could turn him around, or protect him, or whatever... but he should have cut ties or at least let the school administration make that decision instead.

Reactions: SOHusker11
Urban Meyer lied about knowing about it. This is what you're missing. Don't lie and everything is fine.
And if you are ahead coach, why would you want a wife beater on your staff? Not a rhetorical question, btw.

Reactions: headcard
A few of you posted depends on the state.

I guess I was unaware that if something was recorded by investigators it could be inadmissible.

Learn something new everyday...

Legality depends on the state.
I've been told by law enforcement that game cameras or surveillance camera footage can't be used if you don't have a sign posted that property is being surveiled by camera. You can't record a phone call or an interview with out making it known and getting consent. At least that's been my experience.

Reactions: timnsun
Which is extremely unlikely. And, even if that were true, which it isn't, that means she violated Title IX. Yikes.

Meyer's wife is an osu employee as a nursing school instructor. As such, it appears she had an obligation to tell someone even beyond her husband, it seems.

Between this and the wrestling team scandals, osu has some big problems.

Reactions: huskerfan66
I've been told by law enforcement that game cameras or surveillance camera footage can't be used if you don't have a sign posted that property is being surveiled by camera. You can't record a phone call or an interview with out making it known and getting consent. At least that's been my experience.

in what state are those officers? In my state, it only takes one person involved to have knowledge of recording.

It is based on the state. Some states, like California are all-party consent states. Other states, like Nebraska and Ohio, are one-party consent states.

https://www.detectiveservices.com/2012/02/state-by-state-recording-laws/

Reactions: huskerfan66
ADVERTISEMENT