ADVERTISEMENT

Meyer text messages allegedly recovered re: asst domestic abuse in 2015

Schiano the same guy that was hired then not hired at Tennessee. Wow, sometimes you just fall into it.

It would make me happy if he succeeded at Ohio State meanwhile Vol fans have to watch Pruit go 4-8 and 5-7 for 3 years. Twisting the knife in Tennessee.

There will likely be a statement with some combination of misspeaking, misremembering, or misinterpreting the question along with giving the guy a 2nd chance which he failed and thus was fired. He will likely admit that not firing the guy in 2015 was a mistake. He will be on the opposing sideline when we play them. Dantonio and Izzo both survived worse circumstances.

I think Meyer is out. OSU fired Tressel for covering up free tattoos. They will have no choice but to can him for a much more egregious act of covering up domestic violence.

I think you're right. This afternoon is going to be very interesting.

Are any other of their assistant coaches at risk? Who else was tight with this serial abuser and came with Urban from his old Florida staff?

I also agree that Schiano is probably going to take over as interim head coach.
Most of the coaches on the staff in 2015 are gone. Larry Johnson, DL coach, was on the staff in 2015. Would not be surprised to see some of the football operations personnel who followed Urban from Florida gone or at least questioned about the incident.

Now look for Shelly Meyers to say she never told Urban about it. Also look for Lindsey Voltolini to say that she had no direct contact with Urban and her text to Courtney Smith was hearsay.

Currently there is no true direct evidence from Urban about these allegations. It's obviously appears he did but nothing really proves it. If their wives want to take the blame for it never getting to Urban, they can. They really have nothing to lose by taking the blame, unfortunately

Reactions: HuskerBlueDevil
There will likely be a statement with some combination of misspeaking, misremembering, or misinterpreting the question along with giving the guy a 2nd chance which he failed and thus was fired. He will likely admit that not firing the guy in 2015 was a mistake. He will be on the opposing sideline when we play them. Dantonio and Izzo both survived worse circumstances.
I might tend to agree, but there is no way he can say he mispoke. He denied it several times and said had he known he would have fired him in 2015. I don't think he can walk his statement back. Now, what tOSU decides to do is TBD.

I hope they re-hire Luke Fickell! The one Ohio State coach we've actually beaten.

During my life THE Ohio State has had Woody Hayes, Jim Tressel, and Urban Meyer. I don't think there's another school out there that could come close to a disgraceful record like that.

Urban Meyer is done at Ohio State for another coach on his staff abusing his wife? You must be kidding.

No. He's done because he's known about it for years and didn't do anything about it.

Rephrase what you just said, but replace the following:

1.) Urban Meyer with Joe Paterno
2.) Ohio with Penn
3.) "his wife" with "children"

That is why he should be fired.

During my life THE Ohio State has had Woody Hayes, Jim Tressel, and Urban Meyer. I don't think there's another school out there that could come close to a disgraceful record like that.

All coaches with fantastic success records. Also, all coaches that are huge assholes who got caught doing something wrong.

It definitely should create a huge doubt in the minds of recruits as to whether or not Urban will be around much longer as head coach. These days the environment brings down men for all sorts of issues related to violence against women. Not like it used to be several years ago, that's for sure. I'm sure opposing schools/coaches will use the situation as a big weapon in the recruiting battles.

That all said, I'm most definitely not a defender of Urban Meyer but I don't understand why his assistant's domestic abuse is much of a surprise now. It started at Florida almost a decade ago and apparently there was a restraining order request filed by the ex-wife in 2015. So who at Ohio State didn't know about it before now (including the AD)? Seems like there would have been many, many people aware of it for a long time once the wives of all the Ohio State assistant coaches knew what was going on. Wouldn't the responsibility though be on the police to investigate and resolve the issue once a restraining order was requested?

I can see that Urban told a lie during B1G media days. That part seems pretty clear.

No. He's done because he's known about it for years and didn't do anything about it.

Rephrase what you just said, but replace the following:

1.) Urban Meyer with Joe Paterno
2.) Ohio with Penn
3.) "his wife" with "children"

That is why he should be fired.

I hadn't seen the video yet. I think he will be retained, but will have some hoops to jump through.

From this article, Urban and the AD are meeting currently or soon it sounds like...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ya...iolence-nothing-deserves-fired-174323593.html

From the story:

If Shelley Meyer didn’t tell Urban though, then the question is why? How could a woman claim Zach Smith “scares her” and offer sympathy for his alleged abuse victim but then not care enough to mention it to Urban Meyer, thus continuing to allow Zach Smith to coach and mentor Buckeyes football players?

It’s why the concept of Shelley saying nothing to Urban is, while possible, so improbable. Shelley Meyer is a strong woman. She is also a registered nurse and an instructor at Ohio State’s College of Nursing and thus is bound by Title IX statutes to report abuse. Urban Meyer, as a coach, is also mandated to report it.

I live in Columbus. I would expect OSU to come out with some statement this afternoon. The players report for fall camp tomorrow. This has to be resolved now. I would not be surprised if a change is made. Schiano would probably be named as an interim coach. Kevin Wilson would also be considered. I have no inside information just my gut feeling.

Schiano and Wilson have baggage of their own that administration might not want highlighted in the midst of another scandal, but ya, they seem like the obvious choices initially that aside

Reactions: headcard
This country has become morally bankrupt! The constant covering up of these types of scandals in athletics, politics, business and government is insane!

They've been covering up for this kind of stuff long before the golden age of Facebook and Twitter. In fact, it was a lot worse in the past. But don't let that stop you from shaking your finger.

This part in the espn article, although from 2009, looks particularly bad:

Smith also said that Hiram de Fries, who has the title of special assistant to the head coach at Ohio State and has been a confidant of Urban Meyer for years, told her in 2009 not to pursue charges against Zach Smith after an incident in Florida. Meyer was the Gators' head coach at the time; Smith was an intern on his staff.

"[De Fries] said, 'If you don't drop the charges, Zach will never coach again,'" Courtney Smith told McMurphy. "'He's never hit you before. He was drinking. He'll probably never do it again. You should think about giving him a second chance.'"

Schiano and Wilson have baggage of their own that administration might not want highlighted in the midst of another scandal, but ya, they seem like the obvious choices initially that aside

Yep hard to let someone go for ignoring spousal abuse and then turn around and hire someone involved in covering up crimes against children or someone accused of abusing his players.

Reactions: yunginsNU2
Aj hawk just said he doesnt see how urban can survive this.. wow ..he maybe gone. Shelly meyer worked as a nurse for the administration and is required by title9 to mandatory report any abuse so they cant use that card.. this has more than just legs.. crazy

I think Meyer is out. OSU fired Tressel for covering up free tattoos. They will have no choice but to can him for a much more egregious act of covering up domestic violence.
No, the Tressel scandal went way beyond free tattoos. It showed a program that was completely without oversight.

IF the spam hits the fan, hate to say that because I think fried spam is quite good, harbaugh might actually have a chance of beating tOSU.

The thing that is blowing my mind right now is Brett isn't even employed by ESPN, FOX, CBSSports, ANYbody and it's now just starting to make national headlines. Dude is straight slaying the consumer-direct communication model.

So now my question is, if Meyer and OSU "part ways" there is no way in hell Buckeye fans going to accept Kevin Wilson or Greg Schiano as their head coach. Who will the next coach be?

No, the Tressel scandal went way beyond free tattoos. It showed a program that was completely without oversight.

If you look at it that way, it could actually be worse if Myer didn't know. That would mean dozens of people, including assistant coaches and his own wife hid this from him, to either protect an abuser and/or continue winning games.

Reactions: TheBeav815
The thing that is blowing my mind right now is Brett isn't even employed by ESPN, FOX, CBSSports, ANYbody and it's now just starting to make national headlines. Dude is straight slaying the consumer-direct communication model.

So now my question is, if Meyer and OSU "part ways" there is no way in hell Buckeye fans going to accept Kevin Wilson or Greg Schiano as their head coach. Who will the next coach be?
ESPN basically isn't even covering it, probably because their former employee broke the story.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT