ADVERTISEMENT

Mertz has the rona

Don’t see how they get away from red (team positivity rate), if Big Ten requires a 21 day quarantine. I assume those players in quarantine are still considered positive, unless they are removed from the team positivity rate while in quarantine?

Yes, so if they have 10/120 this week and miss this game, the “pool” goes to 0/110 next week, and until the players come out of the 21 day period.

Exactly.

Wisconsin has played in more CCGs than any other team in the B1G since Nebraska joined the conference.

Wisconsin has beaten Nebraska by at least 16 points six times since 2011.

Wisconsin played in the Rose Bowl last year.

Wisconsin is the #9 team in the current AP Poll.

Wisconsin is still favored over Nebraska by every book in America.

Mertz is a big loss, but if anyone is saying that Wisconsin playing without a guy with one (1) career college start means that beating them is not credible, they're wrong.
Mertz is VERY good. He plays like a 4 year starter. He will be extremely hard to replace. Huge difference between him and 4th string QB that has played one down in 2018 and didn't see the field in 2019.

Does anyone know how the conference came up with this 5% rule? Is there any science behind that? Is there some magic that happens when 5% of a random population is infected.

Also does anyone know if this is common in the other conferences? And is the threshold the same?

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuck003
Mertz is VERY good. He plays like a 4 year starter. He will be extremely hard to replace. Huge difference between him and 4th string QB that has played one down in 2018 and didn't see the field in 2019.

What’s really unfortunate is that this was going to be a close game even with Mertz. The fact that it might get wiped out and it’s not even our fault is another huge kick in the groin at our program.

Good article that covers the basics of how the percentages are calculated. Seems to infer that Wisconsin could be in an “orange/red” scenario

Reactions: CatColumbia
So how did they go from no positives before the Illinois game to a crap ton now? I’m guessing some post win partying over the weekend?

Does anyone know how the conference came up with this 5% rule? Is there any science behind that? Is there some magic that happens when 5% of a random population is infected.

Also does anyone know if this is common in the other conferences? And is the threshold the same?

Probably the same way they came up with the idea to cancel the season.

Yep. Essentially they test every morning and they can’t get anymore positives. If they are clean we will have a game.
this happens virtually every week with a lot of teams and games. many games have been "close" to getting cancelled. Many games involve teams missing several starters on both sides of the ball. The ArkSt/KSU game was missing 15 starters combined on both teams. They stayed barely within the requirements to play and the game was played missing a lot of players. This is not unique. Its common. If Wisky gets no positives tomorrow my bet is they will be good to go. Most games that have been cancelled have been cancelled after Wednesday testing. if wisconsin can make it to friday without cancelling then odds are very good the game will be played.

Anyone hear from the Illini camp if they have any CORANA going on?

Last edited:
Don’t see how they get away from red (team positivity rate), if Big Ten requires a 21 day quarantine. I assume those players in quarantine are still considered positive, unless they are removed from the team positivity rate while in quarantine?

I haven't seen anything on when a "positive" case is no longer a positive case for the population test. Could be 14 days or a negative test, I don't know. But the rules are AND, not or. So even if your population is over 7.5%, the 5% 7 day average could still put you back into the caution area. But, being in the caution area gives teams leeway in how they would handle it. Cancel this game, but things look better in a few days and you feel like you can safely play the next game. 5% 7 day average is hard to get unless your whole team is getting infected and you are pretty screwed at that point anyway.

I haven't seen anything on when a "positive" case is no longer a positive case for the population test. Could be 14 days or a negative test, I don't know. But the rules are AND, not or. So even if your population is over 7.5%, the 5% 7 day average could still put you back into the caution area. But, being in the caution area gives teams leeway in how they would handle it. Cancel this game, but things look better in a few days and you feel like you can safely play the next game. 5% 7 day average is hard to get unless your whole team is getting infected and you are pretty screwed at that point anyway.

In addition, I could see Wisconsin playing the card of being in the caution area and cancelling our game to not take a loss to Nebraska, but being back at a "better" level next week and playing that game.

Probably pretty close to the false positive rate. 😈 But, in all seriousness, unless it is really infecting every player on the team the 5% 7 day average is not a big hurdle because you no longer test positive people once they test positive. Numerator = total number of positive tests past 7 days; Denominator = total number of tests performed the past 7 days. I would assume that Wisconsin is barely in orange on the 5% test if that and close to red on the 7.5% test. I would guess they are green/orange right now and close to going green/red. I don't think green/red was ever outlined in the rules.

Reactions: headcard
In addition, I could see Wisconsin playing the card of being in the caution area and cancelling our game to not take a loss to Nebraska, but being back at a "better" level next week and playing that game.

Here's the other thing. What does 21 days entail? Since Wisconsin played Friday night, if Mertz tested positive Saturday morning, could Wisconsin cancel our game, play their scrub QBs against Purdue at home, and then have Mertz available for Michigan which would be "21 days" later depending on kickoff time?

Here's the other thing. What does 21 days entail? Since Wisconsin played Friday night, if Mertz tested positive Saturday morning, could Wisconsin cancel our game, play their scrub QBs against Purdue at home, and then have Mertz available for Michigan which would be "21 days" later depending on kickoff time?
Wisconsin did not test anybody on Saturday. Sunday he tested positive. So does the 21 days start on Friday( the last negative test) or Sunday(the first positive test)? If it’s Fridays negative test he couldn’t even start practicing for 21 days which would mean he would have to play a game with no practice for 3 straight weeks. Hard to believe they would do that.

I don’t think it’s a decision. If they get to many positive tests the game is off. Wisconsin is 100% confident they will beat Nebraska, even with their 4th string QB.
Have you always been a massive dbag or do you just save it for when you post here? GTFO numbnuts.....

BTW, more than likely you’ve always been a massive dbag.

• Haha
Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace
Wisconsin did not test anybody on Saturday. Sunday he tested positive. So does the 21 days start on Friday( the last negative test) or Sunday(the first positive test)? If it’s Fridays negative test he couldn’t even start practicing for 21 days which would mean he would have to play a game with no practice for 3 straight weeks. Hard to believe they would do that.

Interesting, the State Journal said the test was Saturday. If not, the Badgers made a dumb mistake. No reason not to test the day after the game. Not like covid will disappear in a day so you want to get the clock ticking as soon as possible.

as for playing with no practice, it’s not ideal but better Mertz with no team practice for 3 weeks than boom boom with 2 games of experience.

WI season looks cooked.

Your mom is a massive bag, so lick it.
“Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son.”

74608838.jpg

So UW needs to test all of the negative guys every day for the next 3 days to increase the numerator (or is it the denominator?) to keep the percentages low?

So UW needs to test all of the negative guys every day for the next 3 days to increase the numerator (or is it the denominator?) to keep the percentages low?
Well if they add 100 more players to the team for the week they can increase the denominator and that would lower the percentages. Just depends on the statistical deviation of the Covid testing.

Good update from Sean Callahan. I’m thinking we play.

i dont think some of you understand. athletic departments are desperate for money. there isnt a program in america that wouldn't rather play and lose than not play at all. These games might appear to be normal when you take out the look of an empty stadium but there is nothing normal about this season. neb fans have been isolated from all the chaos because their team hasn't been involved until now and hasn't had a covid issue. each game that isnt played is millions of dollars lost for the conference. Those dollars are more important than wins and losses. other programs have switched offensive players to defense and vice versa the day before a game just to fulfill the requirements to play. watching on saturday does not reflect the desperation and chaos going on behind the scenes for coaches and administration. the schools agreed to all these crazy protocols because they desperately need the TV money to stay afloat. It sucks that its this difficult but listening to coaches of programs that started in september their number 1 priority was to play. No matter what it looked like. they will worry about wins and losses next year. this year they just want the ability to get to next year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT