ADVERTISEMENT

Mertz has the rona

i doubt a 4th string QB who has never gotten a rep with any of the starters will play an entire game without making some pretty big mistakes. He will. The real question is wisconsin good enough to overcome all of them? i dont think so. Mertz was the best player on their team by a margin
I heard their 4th string QB actually started a game last year.

Groshek was Wisconsin high school POY at QB before converting to RB at Wisconsin. Passed for almost 2,500 yds and more than 40 TDs as a hs senior so he could be a deep fallback option at QB.
Yep. I like him over Watson as a RB. Just seems to find the holes and reminds of a Rex Type RB. Nothing flashy but just a really good football player. Unlike James White, this kid can throw the call and has experience as QB. Go heavy set and grind the call against NU and shorten the game. Sprinkle DVB in as well to run your normal offense and they can win this game.

Garrett Groshek
Class: Sr
5-11 220 pounds

High School:
Named state Offensive Player of the Year by Wisconsin Football Coaches Association as a senior, leading Amherst to Division 5 state championship ... first-team all-state by WFCA and Associated Press ... Dave Kreig Award as state’s top senior quarterback ... as a senior, completed 68.8 percent of his passes for 2,398 yards and 41 touchdowns against three interceptions ... also rushed for 1,432 yards and 16 TDs ... led Amherst to state semifinals in all three years as varsity quarterback, including runner-up finish in 2014 and state title in 2015 ... honorable mention all-state by Associated Press as a junior in 2014, throwing for 1,825 yards and 16 touchdowns while rushing for 1,281 yards 20 TDs ... three-time first-team All-Central Wisconsin Conference 8 selection and two-time league player of the year ... finished career with 5,236 passing yards and 72 TD passes ... rushed for 4,447 yards and 57 TDs ... WIAA Scholar Athlete ... also lettered in basketball, baseball, track and golf ... coach was Mark Lusic

We haven’t been able to for the last decade, not sure why we think it will change this weekend. I still think we can win though.

because this years run defense appears to be much better then the last several years. Justin Fields and OSUs top RBs run for a average of 6 to 7 yards per carry during the 2019 season. Then we play them in game 1 of the season and our defense held Justin Fields and their top 2 RBs to 3 to 4 yards per carry. That’s 3 to 4 yards from 6 to 7 yards per carry. OSU was the BIG 10s best rushing team in the conference last year and then Wisconsin. OSU averaged 266.8 rushing yards per game vs 233 rushing yards per game for Wisconsin.

I get it, some of you guys refuse to see the improvements but it’s there. Our secondary got worked over by Fields and those WRs but our front 7 played good against their Oline, Fields and RBs. If they can do that to OSU, I’d have to assume they are capable of slowing down Wisconsin’s running game too.

Last edited:
Reactions: red scowl
IF there is a game (big if right now), I don't care how talented he is/was. There's a huge timing and repetition factor at this level. He won't have it. They will call really basic plays with a little play action and short passes. We will load the box. Bring it on.

how is that a BIG IF??? So far the only thing being said is about Mertz and Wolfe. There hasn’t been anything else going out on other players, let alone a bunch of players. Nothing that I have seen anyways. Sorry, but assuming the game will get canceled over a 2 QBs coming up positive just sounds stupid. The game won’t get canceled unless it’s an absolute must. Because if it happens, Wisconsin will more then likely miss the next 3 games a as well.

This sucks for Nebraska. Game is a lose-lose scenario now. Zero credit for winning and losing to a 4th string QB isnt a good look.

i personally don’t care. They are still a top 10 team regardless and will still have a top 10 defense, a good to great Oline and some solid RBs, WRs and TEs. They are still a top 10 team regardless who their QB is come Saturday.

This sucks for Nebraska. Game is a lose-lose scenario now. Zero credit for winning and losing to a 4th string QB isnt a good look.
the vast majority of the country doesn't care who wins a neb/wisconsin game. the recruiting class is almost complete and set. what would getting credit due for anyone? most the country won't know who won this game on monday morning.

this year will always have an asterisk next to it. some games have been played with 10-11 starters missing. its basically just playing to get the money and hope next year is closer to normal
wisconsin wants to play win or lose. if they come up with more virus they risk missing 3 games. they do no want to miss out on playing 3 games win or lose

Not in the B1G. 10 starters out means the game is cancelled. Unless you have a roster of 200+.

because this years run defense appears to be much better then the last several years. Justin Fields and OSUs top RBs run for a average of 6 to 7 yards per carry during the 2019 season. Then we play them in game 1 of the season and our defense held Justin Fields and their top 2 RBs to 3 to 4 yards per carry. That’s 3 to 4 yards from 6 to 7 yards per carry. OSU was the BIG 10s best rushing team in the conference last year and then Wisconsin. OSU averaged 266.8 rushing yards per game vs 233 rushing yards per game for Wisconsin.

I get it, some of you guys refuse to see the improvements but it’s there. Our secondary got worked over by Fields and those WRs but our front 7 played good against their Oline, Fields and RBs. If they can do that to OSU, I’d have to assume they are capable of slowing down Wisconsin’s running game too.
No I agree, I see improvement, that is why I think we can win. My point is that we always get in our own way. Turnovers, penalties and bad special teams have plagued this team. So far special teams might better, but if we continue to have turnovers and penalties against Wiscy, we will probably lose.

Reactions: huskerssalts
Other than Russell Wilson 9 years ago, Wisconsin’s QBs have not done the bulk of the damage to NU; it’s been their dominant fronts owning Nebraska’s fronts - working us over.

That said. Inexperienced QBs can miss check calls and other reads - but NU needs to be smart enough to introduce confusion.

Reactions: huskerfan66
No I agree, I see improvement, that is why I think we can win. My point is that we always get in our own way. Turnovers, penalties and bad special teams have plagued this team. So far special teams might better, but if we continue to have turnovers and penalties against Wiscy, we will probably lose.

a game vs Wisconsin, we have to play a clean or cleaner game. We can not turn the ball over left and right and I sure hope Martinez and McCaffrey do better job of securing the ball this weekend. Our defense will give us a chance to win the game, it’s on our offense to get the ball a crossed the goal line this time.

Last year we put up almost 500 yards of offense (493 yards to be exact) vs Wisconsin (and we put up over 1000 total yards the last 2 years (1,011 yards to be exact) since Frost has been here....YEP our offense has dropped over a grand on their defense the last 2 seasons) but struggled to get it into the end zone.

Last edited:
I like Wisconsin playing a medieval game with a good share of barge or Hippo formation. Shorten the game and put a premium on each possession. Nebraska still has to show it is capable of winning close games.

Nebraska has only held Wisconsin wo a 100 yard rusher once in 9 games (2012 - only win). In those 9 games, Wisconsin has averaged 313/game. NU has only played them close (game decided by one score) three time and all of those Wisconsin rushed for less than 225 yards.

I'm thinking maybe this is the year we can win the west. Penn State looked average, Iowa lost, Minnesota got throttled by Michigan. If we get some luck we can win the west!

Reactions: BleedRed78
I like Wisconsin playing a medieval game with a good share of barge or Hippo formation. Shorten the game and put a premium on each possession. Nebraska still has to show it is capable of winning close games.

Nebraska has only held Wisconsin wo a 100 yard rusher once in 9 games (2012 - only win). In those 9 games, Wisconsin has averaged 313/game. NU has only played them close (game decided by one score) three time and all of those Wisconsin rushed for less than 225 yards.

no offense but only the OSU Buckeyes have held Wisconsin to under 100 yards rushing over the last several years (83 yards last year). Wisconsin put over 350 yards rushing vs Michigan and Iowa even.

Without J Taylor this season or a star RB like per usual, Wisconsin’s run game will be more manageable. Again, if we can slow down OSUs running game, we SHOULD be able to slow Wisconsin’s running game. OSU struggled to run it right at us in last Saturdays game. Again, should.....

Last edited:
Reactions: BleedRed78
Game played or not, this is all positive for Nebraska. Game doesn't happen - Wisconsin is out of the race for the West and we avoid a potential loss to them. So given the results of every other team in the West, we could still lose to Penn State and go 5-2 while winning the West. This assumes that Northwestern and Purdue lose to us and don't win every other game which I see as highly likely.

Game played or not, this is all positive for Nebraska. Game doesn't happen - Wisconsin is out of the race for the West and we avoid a potential loss to them. So given the results of every other team in the West, we could still lose to Penn State and go 5-2 while winning the West. This assumes that Northwestern and Purdue lose to us and don't win every other game which I see as highly likely.

It would be a no contest and not a Wisconsin forfeit, so Nebraska would be in the exact same boat as Wisconsin.

Reactions: scarletred
It would be a no contest and not a Wisconsin forfeit, so Nebraska would be in the exact same boat as Wisconsin.

wouldn’t matter, if they have enough players out to miss the Nebraska game, they’d be out for the next 2 games after that as well. That’s the mans point. It wouldn’t only effect the Husker game. It would definitely effect the game after and more then like the game after that. So 3 games total...hence the 21 day rule. There isn’t anyway to ONLY miss the Husker game and play all the rest. Assuming it’s the COVID virus being the issue.

This is bad, the Big Ten backdoor trap is about to work. Wisconsin board said they are hearing 9 players tested positive, they are waiting for next round of test. With 113 tested that puts them over 5%. So they're at risk of missing next 3 games. B1G 21 day rule is brutal.

Sorry, but assuming the game will get canceled over a 2 QBs coming up positive just sounds stupid.

Salts, get out the basement with Joe Biden. The above post was two pages back on the same thread, and similar news is all over social media. Does it still sound stupid? Asking for a friend.

A win is a win there would be credit in the W column ..Can’t help who plays and doesn’t play, Nebraska has been through this situation trough out my time following this program..

This is bad, the Big Ten backdoor trap is about to work. Wisconsin board said they are hearing 9 players tested positive, they are waiting for next round of test. With 113 tested that puts them over 5%. So they're at risk of missing next 3 games. B1G 21 day rule is brutal.

Salts, get out the basement with Joe Biden. The above post was two pages back on the same thread, and similar news is all over social media. Does it still sound stupid? Asking for a friend.

I still stand by that, Wisconsin is NOT going to find away to cancel the Husker game over 2 QBs being out. And no, it’s doesn’t sound stupid. What sounds stupid is assuming Wisconsin tries and get the game canceled over a couple QBs being out...that sounds stupid. It wouldn’t effect only the Husker game, it would effect possibly 3 games straight and it would knock Wisconsin out of the BIG 10 title run.

Reactions: SkerInCo
We miss one game, they miss three and are eliminated from the CCG. At least that's my understanding.

The whole program isn't shut down 21 days, just players that test positive. The football program could get shut down for 7 days if the 7 day average of football players testing positive is >5% (total positives past 7 days divided by total tests past 7 days) AND the total number of people positive >7.5% of the entire football population (coaches, admins, strength coaches, nutritionists, student managers, etc.).

Reactions: SkerInCo

No, because Wisky won't be playing for the following two weeks, won't have enough games to qualify. Meanwhile should we stay corona free, we will be playing.

The whole program isn't shut down 21 days, just players that test positive. The football program could get shut down for 7 days if the 7 day average of football players testing positive is >5% (total positives past 7 days divided by total tests past 7 days) AND the total number of people positive >7.5% of the entire football population (coaches, admins, strength coaches, nutritionists, student managers, etc.).

so what are thinking here, magically the players that come up positive now, causing the Husker game to get canceled, find a way back onto the field next game and the game after? If enough players have the COVID virus and tested positive to cause the Husker game to get canceled, then all those players are out for 21 days and that will be the same 2-3 games from now. Again, this won’t only effect the Husker game. It will at least effect the next game or 2 as well.

No matter how hard some of you guys try and flip this, there isn’t away for Wisconsin to miss the Husker game and then come back and play next week or even the week after. Wisconsin is better off roughing it through the Husker game and keeping their BIG 10 title hopes alive and well.

Last edited:
so what are thinking here, magically the players that come up positive now, causing the Husker game to get canceled, find a way back into the field next game and the game after. If enough players have the COVID virus and tested positive to cause the Husker game to get canceled, then all those players are out for 21 days and that will be the same 2-3 game from now.

Positive players have to sit out 21 days, that doesn't cancel games. Game would only be cancelled if the criteria I listed are met. I'm assuming there were few, if any, positives until this weekend, so if 9 tested positive on 1 day, they have probably been doing at least 130 tests a day (7 * 130 = 910). 9 divided by 910 is just shy of 1% 7 day positive percent average. The 5% 7 day rolling average will be difficult to meet because you quit testing people that tested positive. You just need to stack a lot of negative tests the next days.

Positive players have to sit out 21 days, that doesn't cancel games. Game would only be cancelled if the criteria I listed are met. I'm assuming there were few, if any, positives until this weekend, so if 9 tested positive on 1 day, they have probably been doing at least 130 tests a day (7 * 130 = 910). 9 divided by 910 is just shy of 1% 7 day positive percent average. The 5% 7 day rolling average will be difficult to meet because you quit testing people that tested positive. You just need to stack a lot of negative tests the next days.

ok then, we are on the same page. The Husker vs Wisconsin game will be played then. Only way it gets canceled is if they have to many players with the Covid virus and it that happens, it will effect the week after game as well because there is no way to get them good to go in 7 days when the BIG 10 has a 21 day rule laid down.

ok then, we are on the same page. The Husker vs Wisconsin game will be played then. Only way it gets canceled is if they have to many plays with the Covid virus and it that happens, it will effect the week after game as well.

If it gets shut down today, they could be up and running again in 7 days. So, theoretically, our game could be canceled and they could be cleared to play next week.

If it gets shut down today, they could be up and running again in 7 days. So, theoretically, our game could be canceled and they could be cleared to play next week.

how could they, if they have enough players testing positive beginning Sunday or Monday, how in the world would they get around the 21 day rule in 7 days? Wisconsin was fine last week. It was this weekend when they caught a break out of some type. Sorry but I disagree, it’s been made clear a player that test positive can not play a game for 21 days. And if enough positive tests get the Husker game canceled, those same players are out for the next 2-3 weeks. Best case scenario is the next week or 2.

Don't think this is accurate. My understanding is if you reach the threshold of no contest you are shut down for 3 weeks

That's a ridiculous take. They are a TOP 10 TEAM. Aside from any "credit", this program needs any win it can get in the worst way Also, we were extremely beat up at QB last year and I seem to remember teams and fanbases celebrating the shit out of beating us.

That's a ridiculous take. They are a TOP 10 TEAM. Aside from any "credit", this program needs any win it can get in the worst way Also, we were extremely beat up at QB last year and I seem to remember teams and fanbases celebrating the shit out of beating us.
Exactly.

Wisconsin has played in more CCGs than any other team in the B1G since Nebraska joined the conference.

Wisconsin has beaten Nebraska by at least 16 points six times since 2011.

Wisconsin played in the Rose Bowl last year.

Wisconsin is the #9 team in the current AP Poll.

Wisconsin is still favored over Nebraska by every book in America.

Mertz is a big loss, but if anyone is saying that Wisconsin playing without a guy with one (1) career college start means that beating them is not credible, they're wrong.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT