ADVERTISEMENT

Mertz has the rona

Not looking good for a game this Saturday. The 21 day rule should be shortened.

Reactions: Swiv3D
Hope this is not a reverse case for us of the 1994 Nebraska vs Kansas State (3rd string Turman-ator feeding the ball to LP).
Don't forget that Berringer played the second half in that game, turning a 7-6 lead into a 17-6 victory. Turman's role is vastly overplayed. This feels more like the 2012 Big Ten title game, where Wisconsin was down to its third-string QB and jet-sweeped us to death.

Not looking good for a game this Saturday. The 21 day rule should be shortened.
they will do everything they can to play. there is a lot of money at stake. losing games doesn't hurt a program in this situation as much as losing revenue
neb has been a loser on the field since Frost arrived but recruiting looks like that of a winner.

they will do everything they can to play. there is a lot of money at stake. losing games doesn't hurt a program in this situation as much as losing revenue
neb has been a loser on the field since Frost arrived but recruiting looks like that of a winner.
This, I don't get why people would think anyone would want to cancel games over fear of losing. If Wisconsin has to cancel due to too many positives they are ineligible to pay in the CCG.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
I’m guessing it’s not false positives if two players that are in close proximity both tested positive at the same time.... change that damned percentage and 21 day rule now! Should be the same roster amounts of other conferences.

I’d have to go back and look, but I think we’re getting the individual and team rules messed up. What I remember is if the team goes “red” (>5%), they have to suspend activity for 7 days and reassess if they fall back below. It’s the individual that’s f’d for minimum of 14 days plus a 7 day reintroduction period if they test positive.

Wonder instead of getting to play Rutgers, Maryland, or MSU in week 9, the Big Ten will gift us by rescheduling the Wisconsin game for that week....

I’d have to go back and look, but I think we’re getting the individual and team rules messed up. What I remember is if the team goes “red” (>5%), they have to suspend activity for 7 days and reassess if they fall back below. It’s the individual that’s f’d for minimum of 14 days plus a 7 day reintroduction period if they test positive.
Team wouldn’t necessarily be out 21 days correct, it only counts as currently positive, I’d assume?

I think that’s what this says?

Reactions: GretnaShawn
Here's what I don't get. Players with positive tests are out for 21 days. Coaches with positive tests are out for 10 days (see Jeff Brohm). How in the world is that fair? The B1G is so f*cked up in the way they are administering stuff. Makes no sense.

and wisconsin played without some of their best players too.
What? That's inaccurate.

According to their own Rivals site, the Badgers had six guys who were out for the season, four of which were injured from Week 1 on, and a reserve CB and a backup DT out against the Huskers. Of the six guys out for the season, none of them moved up to the NFL and only one of them is listed as a backup in their current 2-deep. The end, that's it. Not a single starter from their team last year or this year missed that game.

Meanwhile, Nebraska played without its most productive skill player and two d-lineman who are now in the NFL.

Last edited:
Here's what I don't get. Players with positive tests are out for 21 days. Coaches with positive tests are out for 10 days (see Jeff Brohm). How in the world is that fair? The B1G is so f*cked up in the way they are administering stuff. Makes no sense.
Its because of the heart testing protocol. They feel that athletes are putting their heart under more stress than the coaches (which, duh) so more precaution needs to be taken.

i haven't read the protocol but i do know many programs outside the B10 do 14 days for players then a 7 day transition period where the player is followed for CV effect while restarting conditioning and strength in preparation for games. i know that protocol is very common in the B12. KSU head coach says its 21 days before positive players are back in a game. 2 weeks quarantine then 1 week of reacclimation. that would be very similar to what the B10 is doing

Its because of the heart testing protocol. They feel that athletes are putting their heart under more stress than the coaches (which, duh) so more precaution needs to be taken.
I'm not sure this is a 'duh'.

stress has been proven to be much worse on the heart than strenuous exercise.

and wisconsin played without some of their best players too.

This ^^!
Nobody gave a crap when we played with Ryker Fife, Kellog, Bunchy. Etc.. Injuries are part of the game. As for the notion that I Hope Mertz plays? I hope he doesn’t. Don’t really care what the media will say, 2 years from now nobody is going to remember why we won this game (assuming we win). Just like the OSU ‘12 game. We know that we won because of Bauserman, nobody else remembers.

Having said that, I hope Mertz gets well obviously. But all I care about is getting that W.
Now if we lose to a team that is playing without their top 4 qbs, I will lose complete faith in Frost. That’s completely inexcusable.

Reactions: SkerInCo and WHCSC
So, if more than 7% test positive than Wisconsin can not play a game for 21 days. Why wouldn’t Wisconsin just tell said players they are “off the team for 21 days” so they don’t count against the 7%?

So, if more than 7% test positive than Wisconsin can not play a game for 21 days. Why wouldn’t Wisconsin just tell said players they are “off the team for 21 days” so they don’t count against the 7%?
I don’t think that takes them out for 21 days as a team. They have to be out for 21 days as a player, but the team number is only current positives as far as I know, along with the minimums they must hit per position.

I don’t think that takes them out for 21 days as a team. They have to be out for 21 days as a player, but the team number is only current positives as far as I know, along with the minimums they must hit per position.
I think the team thing is that if >5% of the team is positive, the game is off. So if those players are out for 21 days all at the same time, the team would likely stay above that 5% threshold. now could they elevate walkons/scout team players to get below that threshold, possibly. Not sure the rules there.

Reactions: huskerssalts
Wisconsin is a red zone for COVID. I find it hard to believe this hasnt spread among the team at this point.
If UW is down to their 4th string QB, how can they still be a 4.5 point favorite?

A solid defense and kicking game. They always run over Nebraska with their running game. Even though they struggled vs Illinois running the ball, Lovie was dropping an extra defender down into the box. Chryst had film from last year to prepare and throw the ball. Dont see the Wisconsin game plan changing at all with a 4th string QB. Wouldnt be surprised to see some wild cat with Groshek. Remember their Barge Formation used with James White?

Wisconsin can run it all day long, hit 1 or 2 key passes, and still eke out a win. Despite what is a clear disadvantage for them, Wisconsin won't beat themselves. All the pressure is now on Nebraska. In a game like this, execution, limit mistakes and fundamentals win the game. Can we do that for 4 quarters?
We haven’t been able to for the last decade, not sure why we think it will change this weekend. I still think we can win though.

Reactions: HuskerDubby
I think the team thing is that if >5% of the team is positive, the game is off. So if those players are out for 21 days all at the same time, the team would likely stay above that 5% threshold. now could they elevate walkons/scout team players to get below that threshold, possibly. Not sure the rules there.
It’s only current positives as far as I know. So if they are testing negative, but still in 21 day protocol, they don’t count to the 5%/7% threshold, only to the minimum requirements per position.
Either way, it doesn’t help for this weekend’s game, but it would help them to maybe on the field as a team by the next week, if they would have to do a 7 day shutdown.

Wouldnt be surprised to see some wild cat with Groshek. Remember their Barge Formation used with James White?
Groshek was Wisconsin high school POY at QB before converting to RB at Wisconsin. Passed for almost 2,500 yds and more than 40 TDs as a hs senior so he could be a deep fallback option at QB.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Can't exceed the total number of rapid tests allowed by the B1G. Nebraska was told no by the B1G
that number isn't static as it relates to the individuals making up the sample. they can introduce 30 new subjects if they rotate the same number out.

What? That's inaccurate.

According to their own Rivals site, the Badgers had six guys who were out for the season, four of which were injured from Week 1 on, and a reserve CB and a backup DT out against the Huskers. Of the six guys out for the season, none of them moved up to the NFL and only one of them is listed as a backup in their current 2-deep. The end, that's it. Not a single starter from their team last year or this year missed that game.

Meanwhile, Nebraska played without its most productive skill player and two d-lineman who are now in the NFL.
Bingo doesn't understand facts. Bingo's world is different than everyone else.

Wisconsin can run it all day long, hit 1 or 2 key passes, and still eke out a win. Despite what is a clear disadvantage for them, Wisconsin won't beat themselves. All the pressure is now on Nebraska. In a game like this, execution, limit mistakes and fundamentals win the game. Can we do that for 4 quarters?
i doubt a 4th string QB who has never gotten a rep with any of the starters will play an entire game without making some pretty big mistakes. He will. The real question is wisconsin good enough to overcome all of them? i dont think so. Mertz was the best player on their team by a margin

Reactions: CatColumbia
IF there is a game (big if right now), I don't care how talented he is/was. There's a huge timing and repetition factor at this level. He won't have it. They will call really basic plays with a little play action and short passes. We will load the box. Bring it on.

ADVERTISEMENT