Mental Health

jahazard14

First Team All-Big Ten
Gold Member
Apr 20, 2005
Beatrice
Simone is amphetamine addict and quitter. It is a disgrace she is invoking mental health to cover for her degenerate behavior.
tenor.gif

Frosted Szn

Junior
Gold Member
Nov 22, 2020
All these soldiers coming back with PTSD, what a bunch of losers….

Did I do that right?

Or do certain mental health issues get a pass and others get mocked?

jfc people…. It’s like you guys have never had to deal with any sort of mental health issues, some of ya’ll are clueless!
My original post was aimed at athletes and certainly not to our men and women in uniform whom I have the upmost respect for. I have certainly had my fair share of mental health issues. My critique was mainly aimed at Biles and Osaka. I believe these two athletes claims of mental health issues aren't legitimate. They were and still are highly successful athletes who failed recently in high profile endeavors and decided to blame mental health issues for their poor performance instead of just saying I don't know what happened out there, I think it was the "Twisties" (in Biles case), or my opponent (in Osaka's case) was just better today.

I don't think mental health issues have to be related to contact sport but many are. I am a boxing fan. Look up Oliver McCall. That's a mental health issue. Losing part of your adoring fan base on social media because you finally lost at the sport that you used to be at the top of the mountain at isn't.

Appreciate yore opinion.

Trike Rider

Blackshirt
Gold Member
Jan 6, 2009
Not saying it isn’t addictive. You keep calling her medication an amphetamine and it isn’t. So if you are going to pretend you know something, at least get the facts correct.
Also she is on focalin which is a stimulant. She is a classic drug addict.

jahazard14

First Team All-Big Ten
Gold Member
Apr 20, 2005
Beatrice
Uhh I thought this was common knowledge... there are hundreds of articles on this topic.
I'm sure there are, and they could be nothing more than factual for the media to print it. Nothing better that bringing some down that's on top of there game.

Car&Lando

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Nov 27, 2012
Also she is on focalin which is a stimulant. She is a classic drug addict.
It’s common for people with ADHD to take Focalin XR in the morning and than a dose of Ritalin later in day as the Focalin wears off. From my understanding, Simone has dealt with ADHD for many years and has been on these medications for some time. Her diagnosis is legit.

Also, if you do a little research outside of your conservative misinformation radio shows, you will see that Japan did provide exemptions for these medications for all Olympian’s with a medical necessity to take them.

Trike Rider

Blackshirt
Gold Member
Jan 6, 2009
It’s common for people with ADHD to take Focalin XR in the morning and than a dose of Ritalin later in day as the Focalin wears off. From my understanding, Simone has dealt with ADHD for many years and has been on these medications for some time. Her diagnosis is legit.

Also, if you do a little research outside of your conservative misinformation radio shows, you will see that Japan did provide exemptions for these medications for all Olympian’s with a medical necessity to take them.
There is no proof she was granted the exemption.

• Haha
Reactions: ohio4nu

1545Morrison

Recruiting Coordinator
Gold Member
May 21, 2014
It'll be similar to the #metoo movement. Where some people have gone through some seriously fvcked up stuff, while others have been cat-called a couple times. But they both fall under the metoo umbrella.

Reactions: williamsonframe

SniperGhost

Walk On
Gold Member
Oct 25, 2007
Do you think the US Gymnastics team, knowing her ADD medication wouldn’t be allowed, didn’t know how Ito tapper her off the medicine prior to the games? It isn’t that hard.
It most certainly is that hard. She takes it, because she needs it and certainly needs it in the most stressful situations.

Reactions: nelsonj22

Husker Priapism

Nebraska Legend
Gold Member
Jan 23, 2008
It most certainly is that hard. She takes it, because she needs it and certainly needs it in the most stressful situations.
Not saying it would be easy to quit if she needs it. I was responding to the post saying she is having massive withdrawal symptoms like she went cold turkey two days prior. Besides, from reading the attached file, she wouldn’t even need a waiver for Ritalin so it is all moot.

whitelightning_8

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 10, 2012
I don't think there's any reason not to believe Simone at her word. She had to have known the kind of backlash she was going to get from people like y'all that are soooo ready to jump on somebody like her, so what's the end game? She didn't have anything to prove, she's already the greatest athlete ever in a lot of peoples' opinion, so what does stepping aside gain her? I think some of y'all are just miserable human beings ready to tear down others, and you should really ask yourselves why.

I've had a hard getting professional health, partly because of the stigma, but people like Simone and Naomi will hopefully bring more attention to the need for it, and make it less shameful. I praise their bravery in being so open about it to a WORLD audience.

BigCL24

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
May 28, 2016
Simone Biles is using "mental health" as an excuse to cover her amphetamine withdrawal symptoms.
Ya they don’t let her use Ritalin apparently. Those adhd drugs are evil.

Husker06

Nebraska Legend
Gold Member
Jun 9, 2004
Funny how a couple athletes talk about mental illness in sports and people think that now ‘everyone’ will use it as an excuse. Even funnier when one of the people some keyboard warriors are calling a failure is one of the greatest gymnasts of all time.
That last sentence is critical. Simone has 7 Olympic medals over the course of 3 different Olympic games. SEVEN.

If you count world championships she's earned 32 total medals in international competition.

The notion that she simply choked being amplified by dudes who were too nervous to compete in a varsity HS sport rings hollow. I hate the internet.

RedHour

All-American
Gold Member
Feb 22, 2008
I have no problem with SB withdrawing from a competition. If she is feeling "off" she could literally break her neck doing gymnastics. I do have a problem with people saying it's courageous, which it isn't.

cour·age
/ˈkərij/
Learn to pronounce

noun

1. the ability to do something that frightens one.
    "she called on all her courage to face the ordeal"
    • strength in the face of pain or grief.
      "he fought his illness with great courage"

Reactions: H2Oman

argon

Head Coach
Gold Member
Feb 11, 2002
I have no problem with SB withdrawing from a competition. If she is feeling "off" she could literally break her neck doing gymnastics. I do have a problem with people saying it's courageous, which it isn't.

cour·age
/ˈkərij/
Learn to pronounce

noun

I think the nuanced difference here is that people are conflating her courage in admitting that she is/was suffering a mental health breakdown with being courageous for quitting. I am not sure we should laud either one, nor should we stigmatize people with psychological problems. I think, because there is a stigma associated with mental issues - people are viewing her admission as courageous, likely because it may make it easier for others similarly inflicted to seek help. If that awareness draws congratulations, I have zero problem with that.

Last edited:

Front Runner

Blackshirt
Gold Member
Jun 26, 2006

cour·age
/ˈkərij/
Learn to pronounce

noun

It's weird, something that frightens others is as about as relative as it gets. People use dictionary definitions a lot, probably not a good use of it here. Some people feel it takes courage to tell on a molester, some feel like you should "just' tell.. According to your reply, they should just figure it out, history says otherwise.

Back to the original big picture point of the post, I'm fairly certain athletes have struggled with this forever. Some drink. some turn to spousal abuse, some commit suicide, some use drugs.

Some pretty famous long standing examples (Jerry West, Terry Bradshaw, Serena Williams). Just because it has a name, doesn't mean it's a new thing. Typically this board loves to stereotype and rally behind a name. Lib, Moderate, Conservative, Right, Left.. We love names don't we? What's wrong with the label of mental health?

bleed husker red

Senior
Gold Member
Dec 1, 2002
What, you mean the US media and its build you up to be the GOAT only so we can tear you apart later model is unhealthy?

I mean the list is huge

Bikes
Tebow - pray in college your a Saint in the NFL you're a demon
Tiger Woods
Bonds
Clemmons
Sosa
McGuire
Manziele
Any and all Republican candidates for President

The fall from grace or greatness in this country is the fuel of American television and the 24 hour news cycle.

I blame Ted Turner that c@ck s#%ker

Reactions: BigCL24

Jung A. Sungonung

Administrator
Aug 11, 2001
Omaha, NE
I think the nuanced difference here is that people are conflating her courage in admitting that she is/was suffering a mental health breakdown with being courageous for quitting. I am not sure we should laud either one, nor should we stigmatize people with psychological problems. I think, because there is a stigma associated with mental issues - people are viewing her admission as courageous, likely because it may make it easier for others similarly inflicted to seek help. If that awareness draws congratulations, I have zero problem with that.
Going to move this thread to the Open Scrolls, but I think you're right here except that it does take courage and we should have empathy for someone strong enough to be publicly vulnerable like this.

OTOH, any that would fraudulently play the mental health card should be strongly rebuked for doing so, assuming there is evidence that their claim isn't legit.

tb233

Graduate Assistant
Gold Member
Dec 13, 2017
You know you're an aszho1e when you criticize folks for doing what they need to do to their mental health. What would make you feel better about their decisions to respect themselves enough to cater to their mental health? Do you require a detailed list of their diagnoses, triggers, symptoms, medications, coping techniques, etc, to have empathy?