ADVERTISEMENT

Medical marijuana will not be on November ballot

I use to run up and down the Rocky Mountains the last few years I was an independent claim adjuster chasing hail....I handled large business losses with a lot of company vehicles....To a man and woman I asked what they thought about the (back then) recent legalization of pot and all of them told a similar story. Immediate and noticeable increase in homelessness, once picturesque streets now lined with pot stores and looked shabby, crime increase...basically everything you'd expect. Colorado Springs got so fed up with the homeless they offered any and everyone a one way bus ticket out of town, free....turns out almost all the people who took advantage went somewhere for a brief time and all came back. The people who live in the areas I asked in, hated it. My girlfriends parents who owned a business in Boulder for a long time and sold it but still live just outside of Denver absolutely hate it as well, I really haven't met that many people that are fond of it.

I think all in all, it's a net loss.

Last edited:
weed should'nt be legal, we have to compete globally,,
but not draconian laws either, just enough to police it

I'm for legalization.
There will always be burn-outs, with or without marijuana.

You are out of touch bud.
He's not really. My wife's small town in NE Nebraska is exactly as he says. As the older retirees who once had jobs or businesses in town have died off there weren't enough locals to buy or rent the houses. The rent of those older homes is very affordable for people on public assistance. They've really turned what once was a very nice quiet little farming community in to a white trash slum.

I’m usually in line with you, Dingle. But we may have to respectfully disagree here. On weed, I was a very late adopter. Never used it until I was in my late 20’s and rarely use it now.

I completely agree with the damage it can cause the youth. But I really don’t see that any different than alcohol in that regard. And frankly, it seems less dangerous than alcohol overall. I feel hypocritical thinking alcohol should be legal and weed illegal.

As for medicine, it is much safer for pain management than pills. For cancer patient hunger issues, it works well. And I’ve seen a few stories on children with seizures benefitting for it. The big one for me is the pain management. We stuff opioids down people’s throats at an alarming rate and it has lead to a terrifying opioid epidemic.

When compared to alcohol, I know a lot more people who have had alcohol ruin their lives than weed. I’m not saying that weed is harmless and cannot ruin people’s lives or that it is perfectly safe. But alcohol, in my opinion, is worse than pot. And that is coming from somebody who prefers to have a drink over getting high.

First, 2 wrongs don't make a right. Both alcohol and pot are bad.
As far as alcohol ruining more lives than pot, could it be because alcohol is more available because it's legal and doesn't have the stigma? Legalize pot and you'll see plenty of ruined lives.

First, 2 wrongs don't make a right. Both alcohol and pot are bad.
As far as alcohol ruining more lives than pot, could it be because alcohol is more available because it's legal and doesn't have the stigma? Legalize pot and you'll see plenty of ruined lives.
alcohol is 1000X worse than Marijuana.
Being a heavy alcohol user is much much more detrimental physically and mentally compared to weed.
Try functioning as one vs the other. Marijuana is being calm and relaxed with no worries of death or rebound hypertention/stroke.
I smoked weed all weekend and here it is 7:00AM and I'm going to work. Try doing that with Alcohol.

Many would benefit by switching from alcohol to marijuana.

Last edited:
alcohol is 1000X worse than Marijuana.
Being a heavy alcohol user is much much more detrimental physically and mentally compared to weed.
Try functioning as one vs the other. Marijuana is being calm and relaxed with no worries of death or rebound hypertention/stroke.
I smoked weed all weekend and here it is 7:00AM and I'm going to work. Try doing that with Alcohol.

Many would benefit by switching from alcohol to marijuana.

You still sound high to me

Have you ever used marijuana?
tumblr_mz477tkV2G1qfv5ebo1_500.jpg

Until insurance companies look at pot the way they do alcohol....best to keep it illegal. Problem with states that allow it is that it makes it that much more challenging to hire and retain employees cause so many fail the drug test. Read a story about a construction company im Colorado who tested frequently and almost all passed....they said the next round could detect synthetic urine so don't try it. I forget how many just quit but the percentage was staggering.

Until insurance companies look at pot the way they do alcohol....best to keep it illegal. Problem with states that allow it is that it makes it that much more challenging to hire and retain employees cause so many fail the drug test. Read a story about a construction company im Colorado who tested frequently and almost all passed....they said the next round could detect synthetic urine so don't try it. I forget how many just quit but the percentage was staggering.
my wife's nursing home company doesn't test for Marijuana. More and more companies are going to go this way due to drug tests removing quality applicants and workers for something relatively insignificant.

my wife's nursing home company doesn't test for Marijuana. More and more companies are going to go this way due to drug tests removing quality applicants and workers for something relatively insignificant.

The company that I work for (which is an insurance company actually) has discussed doing this as well, but I think the company who insures the emoplyer is the road block....

I recently changed life insurance providers and the one I chose didn't test for it. The one I left did.

The company that I work for (which is an insurance company actually) has discussed doing this as well, but I think the company who insures the emoplyer is the road block....

I recently changed life insurance providers and the one I chose didn't test for it. The one I left did.
Here in Kansas, we will probably be one of the last states to legalize. I was hoping for Missouri to do so this year but the Covid killed the signature gathering. Missouri would be the death knell. Good luck policing it through the I-70 corridor.

Reactions: CameronKrazie86
There is talk about states legalizing weed in some form to recoup the financial loses from Covid. Not the way I'd want it to have to go but that'll do.

He's not really. My wife's small town in NE Nebraska is exactly as he says. As the older retirees who once had jobs or businesses in town have died off there weren't enough locals to buy or rent the houses. The rent of those older homes is very affordable for people on public assistance. They've really turned what once was a very nice quiet little farming community in to a white trash slum.

Is the town failing due to drugs or are the drugs a symptom of an town that failed for another reason?

There is no doubt that a lot of small towns are now meth and heroin dens. But what is the reason behind that? It seems to me like there could be a lot of factors to that and the drugs are a symptom of that, not the cause.

Is the town failing due to drugs or are the drugs a symptom of an town that failed for another reason?

There is no doubt that a lot of small towns are now meth and heroin dens. But what is the reason behind that? It seems to me like there could be a lot of factors to that and the drugs are a symptom of that, not the cause.
Economics as I stated earlier is the root cause. Cheap housing due the decline of population due to a drop in the number of people required to run farms in rural towns allows people who are mostly on government assistance collecting ADC and food stamps to move in. One common reason for people to be using welfare programs is drug abuse and alcoholism. Sometimes it's a disability. I've seen first hand though a LOT of people who end up on disability who really just don't want to work. I've seen other people with terrible disabilities who move heaven and earth in order to keep a job. So, you end up with a lot of unmotivated people who breed unmotivated kids invading small rural towns.

I grew up in a household with adults either smoking weed, drinking and playing poker both before and after hunting, and smoking meth.

I don't do drugs but used to. I quit drinking shortly after leaving the Navy. My favorite substance was mushrooms. Those things are so much fun!

But by far out of all the parties my parents came back from or hosted, it was the alcohol that had the worst effects on people. Except this one time my mom let my sisters friend, a pot dealer rent a room. He was cool but the rival dealers enforcers were not. They held my mom up at gun point asking for the weed they knew or thought the dealer had.

All in all drugs are bad in my opinion, so is alcohol when not used properly. Drugs hit you full bore anymore. Weed is just so powerful these days, while with alcohol you can drink a little bit and stop when you know you're getting too tipsy. With drugs its like a light switch.

I don't know how to think on this but my gut says none of it is really very good for society. If it all disappeared we'd be all the better for it. That should tell us something.

I grew up in a household with adults either smoking weed, drinking and playing poker both before and after hunting, and smoking meth.

I don't do drugs but used to. I quit drinking shortly after leaving the Navy. My favorite substance was mushrooms. Those things are so much fun!

But by far out of all the parties my parents came back from or hosted, it was the alcohol that had the worst effects on people. Except this one time my mom let my sisters friend, a pot dealer rent a room. He was cool but the rival dealers enforcers were not. They held my mom up at gun point asking for the weed they knew or thought the dealer had.

All in all drugs are bad in my opinion, so is alcohol when not used properly. Drugs hit you full bore anymore. Weed is just so powerful these days, while with alcohol you can drink a little bit and stop when you know you're getting too tipsy. With drugs its like a light switch.

I don't know how to think on this but my gut says none of it is really very good for society. If it all disappeared we'd be all the better for it. That should tell us something.
Congratulations for rising above the issues. That's pretty amazing given the environment you grew up in. People can say that alcohol and weed aren't gateway drugs. Unfortunately in either case, it's an easy step to take to the next thing on the menu whether it's meth or something else. Now I like to drink socially and sometimes I have one too many (two instead of one). About once a year I get really crazy with our dinner club and have 3 drinks over a 4-5 hour period. Back when I had kids in the home though that just wasn't something that happened. We had virtually no hard liquor in the house and maybe a couple of beers in the fridge that only got brought out so Grandpa could have a beer if he wanted.

I can't imagine trying to bring a kid up with weed and/or meth around. It's a recipe for disaster that we're seeing played out almost every day in our community. Back when I was a kid, kids always had to one up mom and dad. If they drank, the kid added weed. If the parents smoked weed, the kid added in sniffing glue or taking speed. I had a friend end up fried from sniffing glue. His dad was always rumored to be a pot dealer. IF the parents were in to hard drugs, the kid always seemed to end up dead of an overdose of heroin or something else.

Congratulations for rising above the issues. That's pretty amazing given the environment you grew up in. People can say that alcohol and weed aren't gateway drugs. Unfortunately in either case, it's an easy step to take to the next thing on the menu whether it's meth or something else. Now I like to drink socially and sometimes I have one too many (two instead of one). About once a year I get really crazy with our dinner club and have 3 drinks over a 4-5 hour period. Back when I had kids in the home though that just wasn't something that happened. We had virtually no hard liquor in the house and maybe a couple of beers in the fridge that only got brought out so Grandpa could have a beer if he wanted.

I can't imagine trying to bring a kid up with weed and/or meth around. It's a recipe for disaster that we're seeing played out almost every day in our community. Back when I was a kid, kids always had to one up mom and dad. If they drank, the kid added weed. If the parents smoked weed, the kid added in sniffing glue or taking speed. I had a friend end up fried from sniffing glue. His dad was always rumored to be a pot dealer. IF the parents were in to hard drugs, the kid always seemed to end up dead of an overdose of heroin or something else.

I don't think you can set your standards for anyone else. I think those who are going to get addicted to something whether it is booze, pot, meth or Cheetos are going to do so and those of us who don't will not. You can make all the laws you want but those people who are going to abuse substances are going to find a way to do so law or no law.

Pot became legal here in Washington almost 8 years ago. I personally have not noticed any change. When out in public I rarely see anyone smoking pot. Before the law was passed there was that fear that people would just indiscriminately be standing around smoking pot. I haven't seen it. The vast majority of people that I know do not smoke pot. The few that I know who like to smoke pot on a daily basis were smoking before it became legal and are still doing it now. The law had little effect on them.

(Off the subject, but just breathing our air could do more damage to your lungs than smoking either cigarettes or pot. Our air quality was 476 yesterday evening at one point. Currently it has eased off to 281. Wildfires! throughout the entire West Coast. We need a storm to blow in.)

I don't think you can set your standards for anyone else. I think those who are going to get addicted to something whether it is booze, pot, meth or Cheetos are going to do so and those of us who don't will not. You can make all the laws you want but those people who are going to abuse substances are going to find a way to do so law or no law.

Pot became legal here in Washington almost 8 years ago. I personally have not noticed any change. When out in public I rarely see anyone smoking pot. Before the law was passed there was that fear that people would just indiscriminately be standing around smoking pot. I haven't seen it. The vast majority of people that I know do not smoke pot. The few that I know who like to smoke pot on a daily basis were smoking before it became legal and are still doing it now. The law had little effect on them.

(Off the subject, but just breathing our air could do more damage to your lungs than smoking either cigarettes or pot. Our air quality was 476 yesterday evening at one point. Currently it has eased off to 281. Wildfires! throughout the entire West Coast. We need a storm to blow in.)

Most antilogical post I've seen in a while.

You can make all the laws you want but those people who are going to abuse substances are going to find a way to do so law or no law.

You could apply that to any behavior. So why have any laws? You might have noticed the laws people tend to break the most are the ones with minimal penalty: speeding, jaywalking, pot-smoking, tax cheats, etc. Also "everyone" is doing it is 3rd grade logic. By that standard we should've never made smoking cigarettes taboo, or gotten rid of separate but equal.

Washington almost 8 years ago. I personally have not noticed any change

Anecdotal isn't science. Also, ever heard of Seattle?

but just breathing our air could do more damage to your lungs than smoking either cigarettes or pot

So this is an argument that cigarettes and pot are good for you? Of course that statement isn't true when you look at the macro-picture, and using the word "could" automatically disqualifies the logic. People "could" get struck by lightning if they go outside. But that isn't a valid reason for not going outside. People "could" get the flu, but that isn't a good reason for shutting down a society.

I'm a law abiding citizen (for the most part) who is married, works full time and isn't a detriment to society (for the most part).

Why should my ability to enjoy a plant that provides entertainment/relaxation with minimal cost/risk be tied to others, who for the most part, would abuse computer duster canisters if it came to it?

"For the kids" doesn't hold water for me. Kids will do what is cool and keeping weed illegal makes it cooler than it needs to be.

Most antilogical post I've seen in a while.

You can make all the laws you want but those people who are going to abuse substances are going to find a way to do so law or no law.

You could apply that to any behavior. So why have any laws? You might have noticed the laws people tend to break the most are the ones with minimal penalty: speeding, jaywalking, pot-smoking, tax cheats, etc. Also "everyone" is doing it is 3rd grade logic. By that standard we should've never made smoking cigarettes taboo, or gotten rid of separate but equal.

Washington almost 8 years ago. I personally have not noticed any change

Anecdotal isn't science. Also, ever heard of Seattle?

but just breathing our air could do more damage to your lungs than smoking either cigarettes or pot

So this is an argument that cigarettes and pot are good for you? Of course that statement isn't true when you look at the macro-picture, and using the word "could" automatically disqualifies the logic. People "could" get struck by lightning if they go outside. But that isn't a valid reason for not going outside. People "could" get the flu, but that isn't a good reason for shutting down a society.

First of all the whole state is not Seattle. I am sure there are places in Seattle where smoking pot in public is as common as taking a breath of air. Here in Eastern Washington I haven't seen it. Secondly. I don't know where you got I thought smoking cigarettes and smoking pot are healthy activities? I was merely pointing out that breathing our smoke-filled air was just as unhealthy and maybe at times worse. I stand by that statement. I don't know where you live so I don't know if you have experienced air that on the air quality index when as high as 476 and was consistently over 325-350 points. It's an awful experience. You can escape someone smoking pot or cigarettes. It's pretty hard to run from the atmosphere.

I'm a law abiding citizen (for the most part) who is married, works full time and isn't a detriment to society (for the most part).

Why should my ability to enjoy a plant that provides entertainment/relaxation with minimal cost/risk be tied to others, who for the most part, would abuse computer duster canisters if it came to it?

"For the kids" doesn't hold water for me. Kids will do what is cool and keeping weed illegal makes it cooler than it needs to be.
Do you have kids and if you do do they know you smoke pot? Do you smoke pot in front of them?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT