ADVERTISEMENT

"Mean" Gene Okerlund passes away

He was one of the interviewees on HBO's excellent documentary about Andre the Giant. He looked old and not very healthy.

I think a lot of us just thought he was old because he was a balding man in his 30's and 40's. Dudes like that just "look" older.

He also liked to speak with an air of "authority" by always speaking a little too loudly and evenly, which was in stark contrast to the stupid, roided-out maniacs screaming into the microphones on the tv shows.

RIP Mean Gene!

Watched wrestling so much as a kid and listened to him over the years. Very recognizable voice.

Aww man, havent missed Mean Gene this much since his chicken sandwiches after his fast food joint closed up. RIP Mean Gene Brother!

Anyone remember the pre- Mean Gene Guy? When I was a kid, there was a guy named Joe Swyback (Zweibeck???) or something like that on the wrestling show. He pimped a product called Gera-speed (???). Anyone remember that? Those were the days of The Crusher, Verne Gagne, Chief Wahoo McDaniel, Baron Von Ratchke, Nick Bockwinkle, Kenny "Sodbuster" Jay, George "Scrap Iron" Gdasky???... Ha! probably butchered enough names.... old memories...

Last edited:
Anyone remember the pre- Mean Gene Guy? When I was a kid, there was a guy named Joe Swyback (Zweibeck???) or something like that on the wrestling show. He pimped a product called Gera-speed (???). Anyone remember that? Those were the days of The Crusher, Verne Gagne, Chief Wahoo McDaniel, Baron Von Ratchke, Nick Bockwinkle, Kenny "Sodbuster" Jay, George "Scrap Iron" Gdasky???... Ha! probably butchered enough names.... old memories...
I do, I wonder if gera-speed did anything? bobby hennan was pretty funny with mean gene too. the claw went to school with my dad at north high :Cool:

Reactions: WC_'sker
You forgot Reggie Parks and Ali Ben Kan. Can you name the signature moves? The Crusher (100 Megaton Bolo), Gagne (Gung Fu), McDaniel (Tomahawk Chop), Von Ratchke (Claw), Bockwinkle (?), Jay (?), Gadasky (Pile Driver), Parks (Sleeper Hold), Ben Kan (Camel Clutch).

And don't forget the midgets. Cowboy Lang and The Mighty Atom.

He was one of the interviewees on HBO's excellent documentary about Andre the Giant. He looked old and not very healthy.
Mean Gene loved his booze. He said in an interview a year or two ago that he enjoyed it and had no intention of quitting.

You forgot Reggie Parks and Ali Ben Kan. Can you name the signature moves? The Crusher (100 Megaton Bolo), Gagne (Gung Fu), McDaniel (Tomahawk Chop), Von Ratchke (Claw), Bockwinkle (?), Jay (?), Gadasky (Pile Driver), Parks (Sleeper Hold), Ben Kan (Camel Clutch).

Those were the greatest, sure brings back good memories

Didn't Bockwinkle use the figure four?

ADVERTISEMENT