ADVERTISEMENT

McQuitty in the portal

When does this merry go round end? We need some stability in the program, not wondering where we are going to fill out positions with "we got him" walk ons.

When does this merry go round end? We need some stability in the program, not wondering where we are going to fill out positions with "we got him" walk ons.
You do realize how old this guy is? He's been injured. He has made a few nice plays, gets reinjured, then disappears,no fault of his own.
Maybe he sees what he's up against?

Reactions: Sinomatic

Give it a couple years. Sadly the transition recruiting class didn't pan out, not surprising. And the team is extremely young. And most of this year's recruiting class isn't on campus. They need a couple years unfortunately.

Last edited:
Reactions: CatColumbia
You do realize how old this guy is? He's been injured. He has made a few nice plays, gets reinjured, then disappears,no fault of his own.
Maybe he sees what he's up against?

What does age have to do with it? I fully realize he was injured but then so have several guys at one time or another. What does he see he is "up against"? There isn't much in the cupboard right now.

Somewhere along the way, we need to keep some of these kids and get them ready to perform, not just having them transfer out for all sorts of various reasons. I keep hearing the same old "we are young" stuff and yep, it is a self fulfilling prophecy and we will continue to be young at this rate. So he is going to transfer and yet he could not have helped this program out when our WR ranks are depleted?

Reactions: Wasker77
What does age have to do with it? I fully realize he was injured but then so have several guys at one time or another. What does he see he is "up against"? There isn't much in the cupboard right now.

Somewhere along the way, we need to keep some of these kids and get them ready to perform, not just having them transfer out for all sorts of various reasons. I keep hearing the same old "we are young" stuff and yep, it is a self fulfilling prophecy and we will continue to be young at this rate. So he is going to transfer and yet he could not have helped this program out when our WR ranks are depleted?
He had a major injury and multiple nagging things. It happens. We've lost some dynamite prospects over the years to knees, shoulders, ankles you name it. It's just that now there's a vehicle for them to go somewhere that they can get on the field with their diminished ability instead of sitting on our roster eating a scholarship with little chance of meaningful contribution.

He had a major injury and multiple nagging things. It happens. We've lost some dynamite prospects over the years to knees, shoulders, ankles you name it. It's just that now there's a vehicle for them to go somewhere that they can get on the field with their diminished ability instead of sitting on our roster eating a scholarship with little chance of meaningful contribution.

So you know he doesn't have the physical ability to play for the Huskers but he can for some other teams?

So you know he doesn't have the physical ability to play for the Huskers but he can for some other teams?
Multiple people closer to the team than me say he's lost a lot of his quickness and straight line speed. I had hoped he could morph in to a possession receiver/blocker but apparently his hands aren't that good and neither is his blocking. I like the kid but considering no more than he got on the field last year when we were desperate for WRs, it's probably okay that he be replaced on the roster.

I keep hearing people say, those young guys aren't much better,or they'd be starting, when of course, in reality, they were redshirted,or are true frosh,40of them.
So, show me a team who has 40 freshmen coming in? Of which 17 are four stars?

This staff has lost their first class, their initial class, very common, no brainer really.
The older guys, more and more kids are transferring after a coaching change, well known fact, even has created a rules change.
So, instead of playing guys before theyre physically ready, like TO never did, and since we've had three coaching changes,system changes in four years, our depth has been crap, arguably even under Bo.

So, you don't like rebuilding depth, prefer to have guys that haven't fully matured play, and think guys that have been continually injured that I'm sure would have wanted to stay, but he did say retired, didn't he?
He's not a deal breaker, I prefer redshirting and building depth, and have no notions about how bad players are that either haven't played, or played little about how good they currently are, other than theres 17 four star guys going onto this team, four stars in numbers we haven't seen this century, things look good.

Reactions: creha
Spin it however you want, he never contributed and had years to do so. Why do you feel compelled to act like he was a major source of untapped talent when all available evidence says he's not?

Reactions: timnsun
Spin it however you want, he never contributed and had years to do so. Why do you feel compelled to act like he was a major source of untapped talent when all available evidence says he's not?

Did I say that? It is more of a bigger picture. He was a highly rated kid, got hurt, came back, couldn't make any headway on a team looking for help at his position but yet he is going to transfer to another school where he can play? It doesn't all add up. Again, big picture here but we have to get some of these kids through the system and on the field instead of the continual battle cry if we are young. We will always be young at this rate.

Did I say that? It is more of a bigger picture. He was a highly rated kid, got hurt, came back, couldn't make any headway on a team looking for help at his position but yet he is going to transfer to another school where he can play? It doesn't all add up. Again, big picture here but we have to get some of these kids through the system and on the field instead of the continual battle cry if we are young. We will always be young at this rate.
I'll save my concern for when actual contributors are abandoning ship and transferring. You know what I've been hearing way longer than we are young? That we carry way too many non-contributors on scholarship when contending programs find a way to move them out. I think this guy is a perfect example of a someone who has had his time on the roster and I wish him luck wherever goes.

Lets see, we need better players, so we recruited them. High turnover switching staffs and ischeme, normal.
So, last years class was redshirted, basically.
So,year one, recruit class a mixed bust with some success,to be expected,year two, most never played or played four or less games and were redshirted. Year three, class hasnt fully arrived yet.

Now, we cant lock ourselves in time and stay here, no, we cant. Doesnt mean we arent young now, but again, unless we lock ourselves in time, the team will get older.

Sometimes I think people have trouble seeing a bigger picture.

I wish he would've turned into the player he was rated to be. Best of luck to him.
The story of Nebraska recruiting the last 5-10 years. Over hyped under delivered. I will admit I think player development has been horrible during that time as well.

The story of Nebraska recruiting the last 5-10 years. Over hyped under delivered. I will admit I think player development has been horrible during that time as well.
If you look, most or our top recruits weren't difference makers, many never starters, others transferred or were no shows.
My biggest gripe is with the team placement overall,in recruiting. Others have found we are the worst in the Big at keeping our recruits, but the top guys have left as well.
So, when we out recruit a Minnesota, and we have four or more four stars starting, they still have one or two.
But, if our top guys leave, where minnys top guys haven't, our second string guys aren't better than minnys top guys, and sometimes not as good.
Much of this has come from lack of development,leaving a gap between our second team guys having to step up vs minnys top guys.

Too much turmoil for this team, and having this wall of freshmen, many very good athletes is the foundation that was promised by this staff, but have yet to play, creating a full roster,filling holes and making depth.

It ate up a whole class to do most of this, and while yes, we're young, we still aren't there yet.
Now comes development,better athletes,depth etc.

I'll save my concern for when actual contributors are abandoning ship and transferring. You know what I've been hearing way longer than we are young? That we carry way too many non-contributors on scholarship when contending programs find a way to move them out. I think this guy is a perfect example of a someone who has had his time on the roster and I wish him luck wherever goes.
This is exactly what I was thinking as well. @TruHusker, pick your battles... don’t get worked up about a person who has been here 4 years and never contributed.

If we see others transferring out who were contributors (like JD), then your concern is warranted.

This is exactly what I was thinking as well. @TruHusker, pick your battles... don’t get worked up about a person who has been here 4 years and never contributed.

If we see others transferring out who were contributors (like JD), then your concern is warranted.
Not sure even JD can be used in that equation. There may be other MR guys who bail in the next year or so as well. Especially as we see more and more Frost guys start taking spots. There was rumors from Day 1 JD wanted out. I think the true test is going to be if Frost can recruit, develop, and KEEP is own guys. If we start seeing a ton of Frost guys jumping ship, then yes worry is warranted.

Not sure even JD can be used in that equation. There may be other MR guys who bail in the next year or so as well. Especially as we see more and more Frost guys start taking spots. There was rumors from Day 1 JD wanted out. I think the true test is going to be if Frost can recruit, develop, and KEEP is own guys. If we start seeing a ton of Frost guys jumping ship, then yes worry is warranted.
Totally agree. Well said.

Reactions: husker2612

I understand our kindly point, but again, the big picture is what I am looking at. It is not just one player, I don't want to see a trend. I know kids leave for various reasons, I get that. I hear the battle cries of lack of depth and we are young only to lose more players - how good they are is not the question. Did we develop them to their fullest? There seems to be some question on that but I am in no position to know. The point is we will continually be young at this rate. This program needs some stability and with a seemingly revolving door, that is a concern - valid or not.

I have been watching youtube videos of some of our past games and man did we get with it back in the day. Those teams were vicious and take no prisoners and hit you squarely in the mouth and most of all were experienced.

40 freshman, no experience,no starters.
5 sophomores, starters or special teams.
This isn't counting our older jucos who have started.

Added all together,counting transwers as well, all but three are still on the team over two classes at this point.
Currently, until this group, all forty of them, those frosh and redshirt frosh actually go through some training, we wont know who still wants to compete if another guy at the same position beats them out.

So, there is currently no revolving door with regards to this staffs recruits, and if things stay its current course, we will have an older and deeper team in two years.
There is less evidence of this staffs recruits leaving than our previous two staffs, who had much lower numbers in higher rated athletes.

Reactions: timnsun
I understand our kindly point, but again, the big picture is what I am looking at. It is not just one player, I don't want to see a trend. I know kids leave for various reasons, I get that. I hear the battle cries of lack of depth and we are young only to lose more players - how good they are is not the question. Did we develop them to their fullest? There seems to be some question on that but I am in no position to know. The point is we will continually be young at this rate. This program needs some stability and with a seemingly revolving door, that is a concern - valid or not.

I have been watching youtube videos of some of our past games and man did we get with it back in the day. Those teams were vicious and take no prisoners and hit you squarely in the mouth and most of all were experienced.
Valid points; it is hard to creat depth when upperclassmen are leaving so much. If the coaches can’t manage that satisfactorily, we will always be a young team. Not ideal.

I do agree about our past teams as well, and I believe that is exactly what Frost wants, a team that gets after it. Whether we could have gotten after it with Riley recruits seems as though maybe not, but was that a function of a lack of ‘want to’ on the part of the players or a group of coaches who didn’t give them a chance? Who really knows?

As tight-lipped as this coaching staff is, I kind of wonder if there isn't more to this story...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT