ADVERTISEMENT

McGriff is transfering

The staff had to fill an entire recruiting class last year in only 2 months. I'm not going to blame them for taking a few projects.

I don't see many major projects in the 2019 class. Possibly Anderson and Graham, but for the most part, the 2019 class is full of recruits that other good programs wanted.

Nope. Same standard applies. Gotta take a 4-8 team with one winning season out of the prior 3 and get top 15 results from day 1. Two months is plenty of time to overcoming the two years of relationships other staffs from top programs have built with kids and get them here. That’s the standard. MR wasn’t given any kind of grace period (well except MR’s first year).

I realize that’s a bit of a straw man, but no more ridiculous than ridiculing a staff willing to take a gamble on a kid that didn’t pan out and transfers...

You have to realize by now that you cannot criticize Scott Frost or anything he does. There will be backlash.
So if I say 4-8 under Frost is the same horrible record as 4-8 under Riley, I won't be popular here? Maybe if I say 4-8 under Frost is like 7-5 under Riley, that would be OK?

So if I say 4-8 under Frost is the same horrible record as 4-8 under Riley, I won't be popular here? Maybe if I say 4-8 under Frost is like 7-5 under Riley, that would be OK?

You can write whatever you want. Just don't be surprised if you say something that could be construed as negative about Frost, there will be repercussions.

I mean, seriously? Criticize Frost all you want, it's a free country. I just don't feel like bitching about the guy's recruiting after he brings in the best QB we've seen since Tommie Frazier. Maybe ever. Frost makes mistakes all the time. I thought he provided plenty of chalkboard material going into the season. I just think he's a very talented young coach who is learning from those mistakes.

McGriff was a 6'6", 210 lb 3-star with 8 offers. Only two were P5 (Nebraska and Illinois). His junior and senior high school seasons combined 52 catches for 972 yards. It is what it is, other P5s obviously evaluated his potential better than Walters. However, if he would have panned out and been the big receiver we need, the staff would have been geniuses for finding a diamond in the rough.

He was a freshmen. How do we know he didn't pan out?

We will see this every year going forward.

He's been processed. It's 2018. Big boy football.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Actually, I vaguely remember similar type discussions concerning Riley players/recruiting. And, both sides of the argument are pretty much the same as can be seen here. You've got the "you can't see it", "not enough time", the strawman "batting 1000", et al.

While I don't know the attrition/failure to qualify rates for all schools, I have been disappointed with ours.

All of these scholarship players that leave in their first year in the program are not a good reflection on our coaching staff's ability to evaluate talent.

I agree. It does not mean the end of the world. It doesn't mean that I'm asking for the world. It means it's an area that requires thought and attention if you want it to improve without luck.

Actually, I vaguely remember similar type discussions concerning Riley players/recruiting. And, both sides of the argument are pretty much the same as can be seen here. You've got the "you can't see it", "not enough time", the strawman "batting 1000", et al.

While I don't know the attrition/failure to qualify rates for all schools, I have been disappointed with ours.

I agree. It does not mean the end of the world. It doesn't mean that I'm asking for the world. It means it's an area that requires thought and attention if you want it to improve without luck.
You expect a lot of attrition when a new staff takes over with a pretty different scheme as well as a very different expectation for players' effort level in practice and in the weight room.

If that rate stays high several years down the road, that's a very valid reason for concern. Was it the 2012 class that had the notorious flame-out rate? Great class on paper and next to nobody stuck around, the team paid a heavy price for it for years. Pretty much a copy/paste with that class of Riley's, the best kids didn't stay and it's left a huge talent gap.

Few kids don't stick from your very first class, fair enough. But sanctions include scholarship limits for a reason. NU can't afford to self-impose a 5 man scholarship reduction on an annual basis, nor can they replace 3* kids with walk-ons and act like that's just as good.

Reactions: bigboxes
I don't give a f*ck what you say, this is the exact same thing that got Pelini in trouble... taking players that were reaches. The sooner the coaches realize that players they were recruiting to play at UCF aren't going to cut it in the B1G, the sooner they can stop bitching about flipping our talent. Stop recruiting players that have just a few P5 offers, because it isn't changing our talent or depth from where it is right now.
I agree consistently recruiting UCF type talent is not going to get the job done in the BIG10. 1. I don't think they are. 2 It is year one, they had to scramble last year to put a class together, so guessing they took some chances on guys they know they could get to come here, but needed work. 3 Im sure the staff is going to learn the types of players they need, to consistently compete in the BIG10. 4. As we all know We aren't going to get top recruiting classes like Bama and Ohio St. We are going to have to take a few more "project" type players then the top schools. Some will work, some won't. I wouldn't worry to much about it.

You expect a lot of attrition when a new staff takes over with a pretty different scheme as well as a very different expectation for players' effort level in practice and in the weight room.

If that rate stays high several years down the road, that's a very valid reason for concern. Was it the 2012 class that had the notorious flame-out rate? Great class on paper and next to nobody stuck around, the team paid a heavy price for it for years. Pretty much a copy/paste with that class of Riley's, the best kids didn't stay and it's left a huge talent gap.

Few kids don't stick from your very first class, fair enough. But sanctions include scholarship limits for a reason. NU can't afford to self-impose a 5 man scholarship reduction on an annual basis, nor can they replace 3* kids with walk-ons and act like that's just as good.

The transfer rate for FBS football can be found at NCAA.org.......it shows that there has been a steady increase in the number of transfers since 2010 from 11.2% to 13.3% in 2017. Based on 85 scholarship players that would compute to about 11.3 per year transferring in 2017. I'm not saying that this is not concerning because it is, but it is also a sign of the times.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I don't give a f*ck what you say, this is the exact same thing that got Pelini in trouble... taking players that were reaches. The sooner the coaches realize that players they were recruiting to play at UCF aren't going to cut it in the B1G, the sooner they can stop bitching about flipping our talent. Stop recruiting players that have just a few P5 offers, because it isn't changing our talent or depth from where it is right now.
The difference between this staff and Pelini is that McGriff would have been here for 5 years and out of desperation he probably would have been starting for Bo at some point. Frost took a flier on a big bodied raw athlete late in the process. We had scholarships to use. He didn't work out and now he's gone. No big deal. I hope he finds success somewhere. By all accounts he's a hard worker. Think he could have filled a need at OLB but it appears that isn't where his heart is.

McGriff was a 6'6", 210 lb 3-star with 8 offers. Only two were P5 (Nebraska and Illinois). His junior and senior high school seasons combined 52 catches for 972 yards. It is what it is, other P5s obviously evaluated his potential better than Walters. However, if he would have panned out and been the big receiver we need, the staff would have been geniuses for finding a diamond in the rough.
We were down to a walk on WR in Cade Warner as a starter this fall. I would say that Frost knew we needed WR depth badly and they beat the bushes trying to find guys late. It didn't work out. Don't think Walters is to blame for anything here.

Obviously, hind sight being 20-20, no one is going to be a perfect evaluator. Look back at ou, when switzer thought billy jo dupree was the second coming of steve owens. The guy was a can't miss and didn't really last a full 2 years as I recall. switzer wasted a LOT of disposable cash on that one, let alone a scholarship.

Compare riley's last 6 games and SF's last 6, otherwise, I'm not getting your point, maybe?

Reactions: bigredhunter
I agree consistently recruiting UCF type talent is not going to get the job done in the BIG10. 1. I don't think they are. 2 It is year one, they had to scramble last year to put a class together, so guessing they took some chances on guys they know they could get to come here, but needed work. 3 Im sure the staff is going to learn the types of players they need, to consistently compete in the BIG10. 4. As we all know We aren't going to get top recruiting classes like Bama and Ohio St. We are going to have to take a few more "project" type players then the top schools. Some will work, some won't. I wouldn't worry to much about it.
I don't know, but it looked to me like ucf had speed to burn and very quick OL and DL and defense.

Obviously, hind sight being 20-20, no one is going to be a perfect evaluator. Look back at ou, when switzer thought billy jo dupree was the second coming of steve owens. The guy was a can't miss and didn't really last a full 2 years as I recall. switzer wasted a LOT of disposable cash on that one, let alone a scholarship.

Billy Jo Dupree was a Pro Bowl TE for the Cowboys. Perhaps you are thing of Marcus Dupree. With that said, I am not sure you could call Dupree a bust necessarily, he was uber talented but had several injuries. He also played in the USFL and later in the NFL for the Rams.

I would be shocked if McGriff makes it to the league, and I don't think ESPN is going to be doing a 30 for 30 on McGriff titled "The Best that Never Was" jmho

Reactions: dinglefritz
I don't know, but it looked to me like ucf had speed to burn and very quick OL and DL and defense.

Yes but how would they hold up in a conference like the B1G? Obviously UCF is a very good team but the picture would change if they were playing a P5 schedule. You go down 2 or 3 possessions against the big boys and what are the chances of you coming out with a win using your backup QB?

They got speed no doubt, would have loved to see them match up against a BIG10 type team in a bowl this year.

Yep. I think 2011 we were ranked like 12th? We ended up going 5-7 when that class were seniors. L

Recruiting is important but it’s not an end all. Development is just as important as recruiting. That 2011 was loaded with That class was mainly loaded with lineman. Who the hell was around to develop that talent? Garrison, Cotton, Kaczenski. And I’m sorry but those guys aren’t brilliant coaches. Does Kaczenski even coach any place? Cotton and Garrison are coaching trash programs now of days.

We were down to a walk on WR in Cade Warner as a starter this fall. I would say that Frost knew we needed WR depth badly and they beat the bushes trying to find guys late. It didn't work out. Don't think Walters is to blame for anything here.
We have plenty of scholarship guys. We had a walk on starting because he was the best player.

If he has hands of stone he won't make it at UCF either. I doubt we are interested in him. USF or FAU might have an interest we only have 5 or 6 spots left. Recruiting is not an exact science. Khali Mack a low rated 2 star from a Florida High school went to Buffalo and is now the best defensive player in the NFL. We had a 4 star RB Richardson that could not beat out a walk on MaCrae that is tearing it up this year and the 4 star transferred.

Reactions: Dean Pope
If he has hands of stone he won't make it at UCF either. I doubt we are interested in him. USF or FAU might have an interest we only have 5 or 6 spots left. Recruiting is not an exact science. Khali Mack a low rated 2 star from a Florida High school went to Buffalo and is now the best defensive player in the NFL. We had a 4 star RB Richardson that could not beat out a walk on MaCrae that is tearing it up this year and the 4 star transferred.
MaCrae is a stud. Frost knocked it out of the park with running back recruiting while at UCF.

Billy Jo Dupree was a Pro Bowl TE for the Cowboys. Perhaps you are thing of Marcus Dupree. With that said, I am not sure you could call Dupree a bust necessarily, he was uber talented but had several injuries. He also played in the USFL and later in the NFL for the Rams.

I would be shocked if McGriff makes it to the league, and I don't think ESPN is going to be doing a 30 for 30 on McGriff titled "The Best that Never Was" jmho
Yes, you have a better memory than I, thanks. Marcus Dupree, thanks for correctly pointing out my error. But, he was a sure thing, but dropped out, wasn't a bust, but ou didn't get a lot of mileage out of him as I remember, and that was really what I was going for, and , yeah, i think he was nagged with injuries and much less than a workout warier from what I heard but I was glad he wasn't there too long for NU's sake. For some reason I thought the pros didn't get a lot of mileage out of him, either, but I may be thinking of someone, else, like Bo Jackson because of his hip injury.

Last edited:
Yes but how would they hold up in a conference like the B1G? Obviously UCF is a very good team but the picture would change if they were playing a P5 schedule. You go down 2 or 3 possessions against the big boys and what are the chances of you coming out with a win using your backup QB?
that backup qb looked as good or, more often, better than NU's the majority of the last 15 years imo.

We have plenty of scholarship guys. We had a walk on starting because he was the best player.
Not really. We had a couple of other newcomers one of whom didn't get here until school started. We took several guys this last cycle who've had trouble learning their position and that is why Warner started over them. So. We took multiple guys late who best could be characterized as projects or reaches for one reason or another. We did that because we were short on numbers of scholarship guys for what Frost wants.

Dupree WAS a STUD. Period.

Reactions: gw2kpro
put Penn State helmets on the UCF players while watching tape of UCF games and your opinion suddenly would be different. 4 players from last year's team are playing on Sundays.

ADVERTISEMENT