ADVERTISEMENT

McGriff is N

McGruff.jpg

Young man looks to be a solid player with options to get on the field early in certain situations.

You can see the vision of the Frost offense come into focus with the early commits so far. Let's get some linemen to get the next level of vision set up.

Excited to see who is coming and who is still looking to join the program.
watch him highpoint balls and take them away from defenders in the Rivals camp highlights. We could have used somebody like him in the redzone for the past couple of years. Sticky hands it appears.

Reactions: baseball31ne
His offer list is sort of Bo Pelinish.....
It is that except for the Illinois offer. I don't really care on this one. This kid fills a specific need in the red zone IMO. He's a matchup problem for DBs and appears to have very good hands. How many more TDs would we have scored this past season with a 6-6 guy with those kind of hands that can take balls away from people? I think at least a few.

Reactions: husker2612
Not fast at all, but Nebraska needs some big bodies bad to go out on routes. More worried about his hands than speed, as he should be able to out muscle alot of defenders for the ball.

Anyone have any idea why no other schools were after this kid? I believe the only other Power 5 that offered him was Illinois.

Illinois, Toledo, FAU. So I agree it is a Pelini-esque offer list, but hopefully he's a diamond in the rough. We have so many Tight Ends already that it seems like this scholarship could have been used better at a position of need.

Reactions: husker2612
His offer list is sort of Bo Pelinish.....

It does, however:

This is a coaching staff that has just a handful of days to get kids committed before the early signing period. They have a very limited time period to grab up as many serviceable kids as possible

Scott Frost was recruiting to CFU- not NU. There were lots of kids he just had no chance at getting to a 50,000 student commuter college that attracts 28,000 to home games in crumbling stadium- in a 2,500,000 urban sprawl that doesnt care 2 licks about CFU football. Its REALLY hard getting strong 4 stars- developing relationships with them this late in the process.

SF has done well identifying under recruited/under valued kids that have worked in his system AND helped develop them to their full potential. This years class will not be rated very high- low numbers and a very late start- but that is to be expected.

This years goal- get some kids to fill some immediate needs
Fill out the roster with kids that have potential and will work hard/buy in

This staff will recruit classes in the 15-20 range by year 3 AND they will retain those kids- just watch

Last edited:
While his offer list is uninspiring, if we are going to take a 'flyer' or a 'project' on, I am glad it is a kid that is 6'6 with a frame you can build on. And he is a position of need (WR, especially a tall WR).

Illinois, Toledo, FAU. So I agree it is a Pelini-esque offer list, but hopefully he's a diamond in the rough. We have so many Tight Ends already that it seems like this scholarship could have been used better at a position of need.
It looks like NU is looking for him to be a hybred
Could play some wideout or slot in goal line situations

Something we need to improve on
NU was 111th in Red Zone offense this season

Reactions: headcard
It does, however:

This is a coaching staff that has just a handful of days to get kids committed before the early signing period. They have a very limited time period to grab up as many serviceable kids as possible

Scott Frost was recruiting to CFU- not NU. There were lots of kids he just had no chance at getting to a 50,000 student commuter college that attracts 28,000 to home games in crumbling stadium- in a 2,500,000 urban sprawl that doesnt care 2 licks about CFU football. Its REALLY hard getting strong 4 stars- developing relationships with them this late in the process.

SF has done well identifying under recruited/under valued kids that have worked in his system AND helped develop them to their full potential

This years goal- get some kids to fill some immediate needs
Fill out the roster with kids that have potential and will work hard/buy in

This staff will recruit classes in the 15-20 range by year 3 AND they will retain those kids- just watch

I am not a star gazer but I do pay close attention to what other schools offer a kid. Just making an observation is all.

Reactions: davecisar
I looked at Nate Clouse’s twitter and noticed one of the alleged great NU fans has started his morning by getting into a little war or words with McGriff about his lack of ability. (Of course, anytime I see such crap I remind myself there are a lot of non-NU fans pretending to be NU fans.)

I am not a star gazer but I do pay close attention to what other schools offer a kid. Just making an observation is all.
Referring to my post right above this one, one good clue: “Husker”fan has 47 posts and four times that number of likes.

No worries

Realism is good

Not a fan of the "NU is going to easily win 11 games guys- or all Riley needs is 10 years to get all his players in- guy"

Reality is- NU has a very short time period to put together a recruiting class
We are coming off 2 losing seasons in last 3- 4 wins in 2017
This coaching staff was recruiting to the CFU value proposition- now they have to pivot to the NU value proposition- trying to recruit kids that other good schools have been in on for 1-2+ years

Right now:
They have to find value
Evaluate well
Develop

Years 2-3-4 will be MUCH better
AND this coaching staff will retain players

Anyone have any idea why no other schools were after this kid? I believe the only other Power 5 that offered him was Illinois.

I don't know. But I don't know why Kareem Hunt, Jordan Howard, Antonio Brown, & Adam Thielen were not recruited by big name schools either (just to name a few guys). I mean why in the hell was Lavonte David a 2-star out of HS when he signed with Middle TN State? David played on a HS football team that won back to back Florida State Championship. That team probably has the record for 4 & 5 stars on a single HS football team. How'd everyone look past David? He ended up the most decorated out of the bunch and by a lot. All the 4 & 5 stars on his HS team are playing in Canada, out of the league, or on Practice Squads. David's winning All- Pro awards and going to Pro-Bowls.

As a former star gazer myself, understand that this staff is going to be bringing a different mix. Development is key to this staff, just as it was key to TO. It was somewhat that way with Bo but he had trouble mixing in the super star prima donnas in with it. A good balance is needed. Take some guys who can develop and take some 4 & 5 stars. Riley's staff needed talent. They couldn't develop. Same with BC.

So if you get your panties in a bunch when we land a kid that no one else is recruiting, maybe it's time to invest in some yeast infection medication. Cause it's going to happen.

I don't know. But I don't know why Kareem Hunt, Jordan Howard, Antonio Brown, & Adam Thielen were not recruited by big name schools either (just to name a few guys). I mean why in the hell was Lavonte David a 2-star out of HS when he signed with Middle TN State? David played on a HS football team that won back to back Florida State Championship. That team probably has the record for 4 & 5 stars on a single HS football team. How'd everyone look past David? He ended up the most decorated out of the bunch and by a lot. All the 4 & 5 stars on his HS team are playing in Canada, out of the league, or on Practice Squads. David's winning All- Pro awards and going to Pro-Bowls.

As a former star gazer myself, understand that this staff is going to be bringing a different mix. Development is key to this staff, just as it was key to TO. It was somewhat that way with Bo but he had trouble mixing in the super star prima donnas in with it. A good balance is needed. Take some guys who can develop and take some 4 & 5 stars. Riley's staff needed talent. They couldn't develop. Same with BC.

So if you get your panties in a bunch when we land a kid that no one else is recruiting, maybe it's time to invest in some yeast infection medication. Cause it's going to happen.
It's not all one way or another. I don't mind a few unheralded kids who have a great frame to grow into a new position and the athleticism to play it well. I think McGriff got overlooked because he's a TE playing WR and teams don't know what kind of in-line blocker he'd be.

I do not, however, want to see a parade of low 3* kids every year and have to convince ourselves that our staff sees something that everyone else missed. You play the percentages. The math is clear, and you'll notice that your playoff teams all do very well in recruiting.

I see what they're thinking with McGriff. Big enough to strike and block on LBs but nimble enough to do it in space and be a threat as a receiver. Plus they already have lots of TEs so they can take on a project there.

And if he's predisposed to a profundity of verbosity, you always like the chances for a smart football player.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
No team has won a National Championship without at least one Top 5 Recruiting Class in the 4 years prior to that championship - at least since Rivals.com has done team recruiting rankings.

I don't mind taking a few projects like this every year, and I don't expect Frost to pull in a great recruiting class on such short notice this year. But after this year, it's probably going to take consistent Top 10 recruiting classes if we want to compete for championships.

Could have thought of so many other different analogizes to try and get your point across.

It's not all one way or another. I don't mind a few unheralded kids who have a great frame to grow into a new position and the athleticism to play it well. I think McGriff got overlooked because he's a TE playing WR and teams don't know what kind of in-line blocker he'd be.

I do not, however, want to see a parade of low 3* kids every year and have to convince ourselves that our staff sees something that everyone else missed. You play the percentages. The math is clear, and you'll notice that your playoff teams all do very well in recruiting.

I see what they're thinking with McGriff. Big enough to strike and block on LBs but nimble enough to do it in space and be a threat as a receiver. Plus they already have lots of TEs so they can take on a project there.

And if he's predisposed to a profundity of verbosity, you always like the chances for a smart football player.

And for the most part, I agree with you. And I am not saying Frost will or should not go after the higher recruited/ranked kids. I am saying he'll likely be doing a good mix. And for the most part, I agree playing the percentages are less risky. But the percentages state it's more difficult to get highly rated kids to come to Lincoln (or at least at this time). So, as a coach, you can't cry about it. You take TO's approach. The same approach that Barry Alvarez installed in Wisconsin. Hell the Badgers are in the playoff this year IF they had a QB worth a flip and that's with no top 25 recruiting classes. Michigan State did it 2015.

I think the difference between Nebraska vs Sparty and Wisky is that we can land highly recruited guys to go along with the developments. We will never be tOSU or USC. Our recruiting is never going to look like that. We will occasionally have that year or so that we have an amazing class. (I think I can count 4 of them in my lifetime) But for the most part, we are a 20 to 25 recruiting class type of program. There are always going to be studs but there will be guys that have some recruiting experts scratching their heads. And this was how it was under TO. Most Husker fans just didn't realize it. I love reading my pops old Max Prep magazines and the things they'd say about TO's classes are classic. It'd read "we love X, Y, Z recruits but really not sure what to think about A, B, or C... Tom's an expert so we will take his word for it"...

And to some people that may know me on this board, they probably think I am being super hypocritical right now. This was not my tone with Riley. IMO Riley needed nothing but 4 & 5 stars to succeed here. He's not a motivator. He's not a coach you work your ass of for in the Gym. He's a guy you like and maybe he can out scheme a coach or two but at the end of the day, he needed the talent to win games. His coaching was never going to win us games. Scott's coaching, I think can win us games vs teams with maybe a little more talent then us.

Reactions: davecisar
The reality is no one knows. It's certainly more reassuring to have your bias confirmed by others, in this case it doesn't appear to be happening.

This class is going to be tough, maybe we can beat the odds and the diamonds in the rough types will turn out great. What is going to define the Frost era is probably the next 3 recruiting classes after this one.

The ones sitting here projecting where he'll play and how he'll do are part of the message board idiocy. At least Tanner Lee is going to be another 1st rounder for us, right?

The reality is no one knows. It's certainly more reassuring to have your bias confirmed by others, in this case it doesn't appear to be happening.

This class is going to be tough, maybe we can beat the odds and the diamonds in the rough types will turn out great. What is going to define the Frost era is probably the next 3 recruiting classes after this one.

The ones sitting here projecting where he'll play and how he'll do are part of the message board idiocy. At least Tanner Lee is going to be another 1st rounder for us, right?
Right.

I agree and his offer list is not good, but at least he is something needed extremely bad at Nebraska right now. The receiving core is pretty much runts right now. A big possession type guy could really help right now so why not take a chance on this one?

Well obviously a lot of P5 schools missed out on MM at UCF so I would give Frost and his staff the benefit of the doubt when it comes to recruiting. If they can develop players then this guy will be a big time player for us.

Honestly, the only time I’m truly interested in recruiting is when commits actually sign their LOI to Nebraska. All the info leading up to that is fine to look at, but I don’t get my hopes up wondering if this kid or that kid is going to make it to Lincoln. When the signing periods are over and the commits are N, then it’s showtime!

N

Not to get too drunk on the kool-aid but if the staff thinks he could be an NFL caliber tight end then I am damn happy to have him committed to this team.

Reactions: headcard
We have plenty of short, quick receivers on the roster right now. We need a bigger guy who will be able to go up and get jump balls, and McGriff seems to have decent speed as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT