Votes: 56 65.1%
  • No

Votes: 24 27.9%
  • Definitely

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Definitely not

Votes: 5 5.8%

• Total voters
I'm not sure there are any board tough guys unless you count the daily heavyweights tilts of King Kong vs. Recruiting Analyst....

Reactions: leodisflowers
The funny thing is that McDermott was absolutely terrible at Iowa State and Hoiberg was awesome there.

Now McDermott is awesome at Creighton and Hoiberg is absolutely terrible here.

It's like this program can't have nice things.
So maybe that means we should hire someone who failed at Iowa State as our next coach. Perhaps it's an omen.

I voted “definitely not“ because he isnt stupid enough to coach basketball at Nebraska.

Based on what?

Chances are he would struggle here just as every other coach has.
Look who he has recruited through his time at Creighton..

You have to get in the tournament before winning a game in the tournament and his teams at worst would be middle of the pack in conference and all’s you have to do is be .500 in conference play which majority of the time gets you in the dance..

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's been like 25 years since Creighton fired a "major sport" head coach. That is unbelievable continuity in this day and age. And the good ones like McDermott and Booth seem content to never leave Omaha. I despise them, but their Admins are doing something right.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's been like 25 years since Creighton fired a "major sport" head coach. That is unbelievable continuity in this day and age. And the good ones like McDermott and Booth seem content to never leave Omaha. I despise them, but their Admins are doing something right.

I like em a lot less than I used to because they've slid so far left they'd literally slide across the earth were it not for being bolted to the ground...but you are correct. Their stability in this era is unmatched.

Reactions: PvilleHuskerTim
Look who he has recruited through his time at Creighton..

You have to get in the tournament before winning a game in the tournament and his teams at worst would be middle of the pack in conference and all’s you have to do is be .500 in conference play which majority of the time gets you in the dance..

So why would you say Hoiberg was way more successful than him at ISU yet…Mcdermott would be way more successful at Nebraska? Mcdermott was putrid at ISU

So why would you say Hoiberg was way more successful than him at ISU yet…Mcdermott would be way more successful at Nebraska? Mcdermott was putrid at ISU
only thing I can think of as McDermott got better at recruiting and Fred doesn’t like to recruit High School kids..

It helped that McDermott had an All-American caliber son who graduated high school right after he took the Creighton job.

But the answer seems to be that McDermott was willing to get dirty with recruiting. He got the talent there, whereas Fred hates recruiting and Matt Abdelmassih was a flop here. McDermott also seems to get the players that fit in his system/conference, while Fred has not gotten the type of players you need in the Big Ten.

I think if you gave both coaches the same level of talent, Fred would probably out-coach him most years. This year's game being an example.

Creighton. There are no expectations there.

NU seems to have some sort of expectation of "making the dance" every few years, which is why they keep firing dudes, because they don't make it.

Doug has offered people with his racist remarks, they have been caught cheating and his started the season ranked like 8? And is currently unranked with 8 losses and they got smoked by NU. It is pretty clear that there are no expectations in place. Clearly none about acceptable behavior and/or cheating.
Come on, no expectations? Are you thinking of the other division 1 team in Omaha?
Smoked by Nebraska, it was a 10 point game. If they’d play tomorrow Nebraska would lose by 20. You are clearly upset over something with Creighton and has lead you to make foolish remarks in here. If McDermott put up a 5 win season he’d be fired before year was over. Anyways would he succeed at Nebraska? No because apparently no one can.

It helped that McDermott had an All-American caliber son who graduated high school right after he took the Creighton job.

But the answer seems to be that McDermott was willing to get dirty with recruiting. He got the talent there, whereas Fred hates recruiting and Matt Abdelmassih was a flop here. McDermott also seems to get the players that fit in his system/conference, while Fred has not gotten the type of players you need in the Big Ten.

I think if you gave both coaches the same level of talent, Fred would probably out-coach him most years. This year's game being an example.
Hoiberg did not out coach McDermott this year. Derrick Walker had a career night against a guy who played too many minutes dealing with a bout of mono.

Doug McDermott was a guy that was going to Northern Iowa until his dad took the job at Creighton. He wasn't highly recruited in the least. He became an All American but it wasn't like people were flocking to Ames to watch him play. They went to see Harrison Barnes play.

McDermott's system at Creighton is more like what Hoiberg employed at Iowa St. Strangely, Nebraska currently is playing like McDermott's teams at Iowa St.

The only improper or dirty recruiting at Creighton, under McDermott, is tied to Ty Ty Washington. There has been nothing "dirty" other than that one guy. Hoiberg "hating to recruit" is BS.

You all can hate on Creighton all you want, but it reminds me of how Colorado and Kansas St fans spoke about Nebraska football in the 80's and 90's when Nebraska was dominating the series. Sure Colorado or KSU would steal a game on occasion, but it was clear who the better team was.

The simple fact is McDermott is doing a better job at Creighton than Hoiberg is at Nebraska. I would bet my house that McDermott would have more than 12 Big Ten wins in 3 plus seasons as HC of Nebraska. Hoiberg has underperformed and was able to get a win over Creighton one time in 4 tries. Following 3 losses by an averaged of 17 points per game.

Reactions: kevingne
Come on, no expectations? Are you thinking of the other division 1 team in Omaha?
Smoked by Nebraska, it was a 10 point game. If they’d play tomorrow Nebraska would lose by 20. You are clearly upset over something with Creighton and has lead you to make foolish remarks in here. If McDermott put up a 5 win season he’d be fired before year was over. Anyways would he succeed at Nebraska? No because apparently no one can.
No, I am not, but with that said, I DO think Trev made the right choice in dumping football to get D1 CBB. Omaha making the dance just one time will be a bigger deal than the Maverick FB team winning 5 championships in a row.

The funny thing is that McDermott was absolutely terrible at Iowa State and Hoiberg was awesome there.

Now McDermott is awesome at Creighton and Hoiberg is absolutely terrible here.

It's like this program can't have nice things.
I’ve said for months that it’s not them (coaches), it’s us. There’s just been something about NU that has made it difficult to win.

Reactions: Baxter48
I’ve said for months that it’s not them (coaches), it’s us. There’s just been something about NU that has made it difficult to win.
Lack of tradition in basketball. It's not easy to overcome. Perhaps for now we should be happy if we get a coach who qualifies for postseason tournaments 50% of the time and makes the Big dance about twice a decade.

I’d like to see us drop the pretense and just start buying players. Lay off some deans or provosts or whatever. Sell a couple of buildings. Push the envelope and get some difference makers in here. I’m 65, dammit. Been waiting a long time for them to be decent. It’s getting worse the older I get. Time’s running out. How much worse can the death penalty be than the current vegetative state of the program?

ADVERTISEMENT