ADVERTISEMENT

McCaffrey's play

Totally agree. I was calling for Masker the whole while. Doesn’t make sense to play him in the spot. If nothing else, call a timeout. Anything. We may need McCaffrey down the stretch and to now only have him for 3 out of the remaining 6 or 7 games seems like a huge waste.

I was on the impression that Vedral's helmet came off, so he was forced to sit for a play; which forced McCaffrey to enter.
They could have played Matt Masker for one play. Just hand the ball off. Or they could have run a wildcat play with Wandale. Or finally they could have taken a timeout.

McCaffrey didn’t have to play that one play.

They could have played Matt Masker for one play. Just hand the ball off. Or they could have run a wildcat play with Wandale. Or finally they could have taken a timeout.

Agreed. I was confused when I saw him in, but I guess it is what it is now.

However, it did give me goosebumps; watching #7 take the snap and run the ball...

Reactions: timnsun
IMO Mccaffery never sees the field regardless of how the season plays out unless both Martinez and Vedral are unable to go. In which case redshirting goes out the window anyway.
But if both go out with four games remaining, he plays and saves his redshirt.

Why is this a big deal? He's not going to play at all unless the top two guys are down. It's not like they were planning to get him major minutes in 4 games sometime this season. Don't overthink it, they used him for the one play because they were doing everything possible to win the game. On a critical drive you don't screw around with the 4th or 5th guy when the 3rd guy is available.

Why is this a big deal? He's not going to play at all unless the top two guys are down. It's not like they were planning to get him major minutes in 4 games sometime this season. Don't overthink it, they used him for the one play because they were doing everything possible to win the game. On a critical drive you don't screw around with the 4th or 5th guy when the 3rd guy is available.
So they run him up the middle for a short gain? Bunch couldn’t have done that?

Like the previous poster said, if AM and Vedral both get injured and we only have 4 games left, McCaffrey can play and preserve his redshirt. I am reasonably sure McCaffrey’s run didn’t win the game for us today.

Reactions: Bruce1981
He earned 3rd string... he earned the snap... next man up. That's how this works.
Pretty sure everyone on here understands how that works.

People also understand that sometimes there are extenuating circumstances that could have led to Bunch playing for one play.

It's not like we're going to blow anybody out enough for McCaffrey to play. Frost felt that McCaffrey was the best chance to convert for the first down and he was probably right. McCaffrey is probably not going to see any more meaningful snaps than that this year.

Reactions: Bold Words
There seems to be an awful lot of confidence ITT that we won't need McCaffrey for meaningful snaps the rest of this year. Given that AM's status is still unknown (but hopefully "not too serious"), Luke might be one play away as we speak.

Maybe "not too serious" means AM misses the Minny game so he can have the extra bye week to recover. That makes LMC the backup in an offense with a porous O-line where the QB consistently runs the ball and puts himself at risk. And it's not like Vedral has AM's size to absorb the pounding.

Not trying to be Debbie Downer. Hopefully AM recovers quickly, we don't have any additional QB injuries and LMC's redshirt is easily preserved. But the idea that he could play meaningful snaps in 3+ additional games doesn't seem like that far of a stretch.

There seems to be an awful lot of confidence ITT that we won't need McCaffrey for meaningful snaps the rest of this year. Given that AM's status is still unknown (but hopefully "not too serious"), Luke might be one play away as we speak.

Maybe "not too serious" means AM misses the Minny game so he can have the extra bye week to recover. That makes LMC the backup in an offense with a porous O-line where the QB consistently runs the ball and puts himself at risk. And it's not like Vedral has AM's size to absorb the pounding.

Not trying to be Debbie Downer. Hopefully AM recovers quickly, we don't have any additional QB injuries and LMC's redshirt is easily preserved. But the idea that he could play meaningful snaps in 3+ additional games doesn't seem like that far of a stretch.
Totally agree, which is why I thought bringing in McCaffrey in for one play that he never would have played if Vedral doesn’t lose his helmet seemed a bit of a waste.

Totally agree, which is why I thought bringing in McCaffrey in for one play that he never would have played if Vedral doesn’t lose his helmet seemed a bit of a waste.

I'm firmly in that camp. Everything is a resource that must be maximized or otherwise preserved whenever possible. You never know.

But at least a guy can now play 1-4 games and still redshirt. It used to make my eye twitch when we would burn an entire year so a guy could play in one game or even one series.

It’s simple. The game was tied and up for grabs. You need a guy to come in for one play. Better be a guy who has taken lots of practice reps. A fumbled snap at that point would have been awful. Not a time to bring in your 4th string QB, even if for just one play.
What happened to Andrew Bunch. Is he not with the team anymore?

He actually looked in control and decisive last year vs Colorado even though we lost. He's started three games and was convinced not to transfer. He can't come in for a one snap situation?

What happened to Andrew Bunch. Is he not with the team anymore?

He actually looked in control and decisive last year vs Colorado even though we lost. He's started three games and was convinced not to transfer. He can't come in for a one snap situation?
Not if he isn’t getting adequate practice reps. Last year he was our backup and got lots of reps in practice. This year he is, what, 4th or even 5th string? Winning that game yesterday was very important to the rest of our season. Bring in Bunch and have him lose a fumble due to rustiness? No thanks. And you might say “oh come on, how likely is that?”. And I would reply... fumbled snaps when a new QB has to come in suddenly are actually quite common. Frost made the right call here.

Kid definitely has the look of a starter. Looked confident taking the snap and executing a short QB run for positive yards. That is a play in the past where we’d fumble or take a 4-5 yard loss.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
The season is halfway over. Luke can play in 4 games and if others are close, he probably won't play. Martinez will be back in a couple weeks so the likelihood of LM playing more is slim to none. He'll take the experience anytime he can.

Reactions: Can o' corn

Or Bunch

I’m just spit ballin this here but AM is only a sophomore and I’m not 100% sure on this but Vedral I don’t think is a senior so worse case is you burn his redshirt this year, he always has next year to redshirt

I’m just spit ballin this here but AM is only a sophomore and I’m not 100% sure on this but Vedral I don’t think is a senior so worse case is you burn his redshirt this year, he always has next year to redshirt

AM and Vedral are both Soph

McCaffrey a true Fr...just weird using one of his 4 games in one play

AM and Vedral are both Soph

McCaffrey a true Fr...just weird using one of his 4 games in one play

True but he has 3 more times to get in 6 games left..

I don’t think it’s a big deal unless both AM and Vedral can’t go the rest of the way..

Reactions: saluno22
Pretty sure everyone on here understands how that works.

People also understand that sometimes there are extenuating circumstances that could have led to Bunch playing for one play.
Totally get what you're saying and it's a valid point, but I think at the time Frost is just trying to win the game & he felt McCaffrey was the best one to make something happen.

Even if Mccaffrey's redshirt does get burned I still feel Frost made the right call here as it helped get us the W.

Reactions: scarletred
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT