ADVERTISEMENT

McCaffrey Should Start at QB

I agree with this point, although it is somewhat skewed by the relentless, my-God-this-play-again? use of the tight end screen last year.

Also, I'm afraid that if Frost inserts McCaffrey as the starter, yards per attempt will sink even lower. If Luke's going to start, they need to remove the training wheels and give him more of the playbook to work with.

I think Luke is fine with the playbook. They raved about how much of the playbook he learned right away when he came in. If I were to guess they are trying to just get him comfortable in game situations, which he is already showing that he can play.

I think Luke is fine with the playbook. They raved about how much of the playbook he learned right away when he came in. If I were to guess they are trying to just get him comfortable in game situations, which he is already showing that he can play.
Yeah my concern is not with McCaffrey but with the ultra-conservative playing-calling when he's in the game. I get the reasoning behind it, but I would still like to see Frost lengthen the leash - even if it leads to some negative results initially.

Yeah my concern is not with McCaffrey but with the ultra-conservative playing-calling when he's in the game. I get the reasoning behind it, but I would still like to see Frost lengthen the leash - even if it leads to some negative results initially.
Coaches typically give 90% of the snaps in practice to the starter. I wonder what that will look like this week. Can't really expect a new starter unless he's been in that role at practice. We will see more of the same. 2AM taking most of the snaps and LM coming in situationally.

agreed, he just hasn’t had enough series of playing in a game when the game was on the line.

realistically he has only had one series coming in not counting the when 2AM had to leave because of a equipment issue, and he fumbled on that series...

He also had better wide receivers at his disposal which he hasn’t here YET..

But he has been reluctant to wanting to throw down field even a few times a game, so the question is does he or doesn’t he have faith in 2AM making those throws.
I think against OSU deep balls were going to be much less than a 50/50 proposition for us. I've listened to multiple national guys say that all 4 of those DBs will be drafted. Which one of our WRs that played against OSU is going to take a ball away from them?

I think against OSU deep balls were going to be much less than a 50/50 proposition for us. I've listened to multiple national guys say that all 4 of those DBs will be drafted. Which one of our WRs that played against OSU is going to take a ball away from them?

I understand why SF didn’t gamble against tOSU with the talent
we had at receiver Saturday, but moving forward we need to stretch the field and take some chances down the field which we haven’t down since Stanley Morgan played in 2018..

This sounds like advocating for taking a few lumps now so he can gain more experience. With it being a covid year, I think it's a good idea. I agree with Rambo, AM is what he is, and can be a good backup/teammate to Luke. You have to play the best guys, recruits are always watching too.

He was...and it actually wasn't even that close tbh.

Holla
Hard to tell when we don’t really take shots downfield. If all we are going to do is do side to side passes then I’m sure luke can do that plus run better. I think Frost just needs to open the playbook up. 17 points won’t win many games with a Chinander usually good for giving up 30 plus.

Hard to tell when we don’t really take shots downfield. If all we are going to do is do side to side passes then I’m sure luke can do that plus run better. I think Frost just needs to open the playbook up. 17 points won’t win many games with a Chinander usually good for giving up 30 plus.
Who is he going take a shot downfield to? Warner against first or second round draft picks in the OSU secondary? Warner is a possession guy but not a deep ball threat.

Who is he going take a shot downfield to? Warner against first or second round draft picks in the OSU secondary? Warner is a possession guy but not a deep ball threat.
I get that and agree. So maybe luke is our best option since we can’t throw the ball downfield anyway?

I get that and agree. So maybe luke is our best option since we can’t throw the ball downfield anyway?
Perhaps. I still think Martinez is the best QB option but have to get Luke several touches a game. Those 2 may be our two best playmakers on the offensive side of the ball. Robinson close to those 2 as well.

Reactions: kakdawg
Perhaps. I still think Martinez is the best QB option but have to get Luke several touches a game. Those 2 may be our two best playmakers on the offensive side of the ball. Robinson close to those 2 as well.
I agree Martinez is the best option. I am frustrated we don’t seem anything like what Frost ran at UCF. People will point to us not having personnel and I get that but we are 3 years in.

I agree Martinez is the best option. I am frustrated we don’t seem anything like what Frost ran at UCF. People will point to us not having personnel and I get that but we are 3 years in.
Right. The WR Corp is the most telling. Frost is known for offense. Almost every single team I watched when I was flipping the channel on Saturday (you name the team) are better at that position than Neb. Why?

Right. The WR Corp is the most telling. Frost is known for offense. Almost every single team I watched when I was flipping the channel on Saturday (you name the team) are better at that position than Neb. Why?
Because 12 out of 13 wideouts signed between 2017-2019 are no longer on the roster. Whose fault is that is debatable?

Because 12 out of 13 wideouts signed between 2017-2019 are no longer on the roster. Whose fault is that is debatable?
Where is the rule that if you don’t recruit a player that you have to lose them or cut ties? Attrition has been a big problem and we’ve got to see that reeled in going forward. How would it be anybody else’s fault than Frost, BTW, for receivers lost that he and his staff recruited?

Did they recruit players who are not good fits? Do the players not want to work hard? Are they just not good receivers? Are the coaches not coaching them up? All the above? I don’t know the answer. Probably all the above!

Did they recruit players who are not good fits? Do the players not want to work hard? Are they just not good receivers? Are the coaches not coaching them up? All the above? I don’t know the answer. Probably all the above!
All comes down to talent evaluation, character evaluation, coaching up...etc. which all points back to the coaches right?

The buck stops with the head coach. Simple as that. There are many variables that are debatable but if he is approving these scholarships to these guys based on guys he hired to coach and develop it’s his fault at the end of the day. Hopefully it gets corrected but 3 years in that position shouldn’t be where it is. Pretty much a focal point of his offense.

This sounds like advocating for taking a few lumps now so he can gain more experience. With it being a covid year, I think it's a good idea. I agree with Rambo, AM is what he is, and can be a good backup/teammate to Luke. You have to play the best guys, recruits are always watching too.
I disagree. He's either better or he's not. If LM isn't an improvement over AM this year, there's no point starting him.

I disagree. He's either better or he's not. If LM isn't an improvement over AM this year, there's no point starting him.
I'm not claiming to know which QB is better. All I'm saying is that if you do go with McCaffrey, you need to trust him enough to run something more than QB keepers and basic swing passes.

Reactions: dinglefritz
If Wisconsin moves their RB to play a wildcat QB role, I think Nebraska should employ Reimers in a spy role to counter that. I also think Nebraska should go man and sneak their safeties up with at least one in the box. At the least they should put 8 in the box with a 4-4 or 5-2 alignment out of their 3-4.

I agree with this point, although it is somewhat skewed by the relentless, my-God-this-play-again? use of the tight end screen last year.

Also, I'm afraid that if Frost inserts McCaffrey as the starter, yards per attempt will sink even lower. If Luke's going to start, they need to remove the training wheels and give him more of the playbook to work with.
[/QUOTE

Do you think Luke has so little of the playbook by accident? Or do you think Frost is giving him what he's down he can execute well?

Holla

We saw the staff put Luke in for that play action pass downfield to JD in the Iowa game last year. They did it specifically for that play, so either they don't trust Martinez to throw it deep or Martinez could not throw it deep due to injury (to his non throwing shoulder) last year?

We haven't seen Martinez throw it deep at all this year, but we did see him throw it real hard to Warner in the end zone, so I don't think it's any physical issue.

U serious? It was a designed TRICK PLAY that worked. They had shown Luke's wheels on film and figured Iowa would come up and play him for the run. Great play and design and Iowa bit. Luke DID make a good throw. He deserves credit for that but let's not confuse that for the normal. Who did you see that open on the field for us Saturday?

Great TRICK PLAY and nothing more. By your logic Frank Solich should've pulled Eric Crouch after Mike Stuntz threw the TD pass vs OU in 2001.

Come on guys be smarter.

Holla

U serious? It was a designed TRICK PLAY that worked. They had shown Luke's wheels on film and figured Iowa would come up and play him for the run. Great play and design and Iowa bit. Luke DID make a good throw. He deserves credit for that but let's not confuse that for the normal. Who did you see that open on the field for us Saturday?

Great TRICK PLAY and nothing more. By your logic Frank Solich should've pulled Eric Crouch after Mike Stuntz threw the TD pass vs OU in 2001.

Come on guys be smarter.

Holla
there was nothing trick about a play action pass.. dude, you can be smarter than that.

Lotta misses on WRs plus whatever issues the guys from this class is having. It's tough for any QB with the guys we put out there Saturday.

I love Luke as PLAYER. Just not as a QB yet. I'd use him like we us d Newcombe as frosh in 97 if it were me. But as a QB right now I'm convinced they have to simplify the offense too much for him.
there was nothing trick about a play action pass.. dude, you can be smarter than that.

Ok...keep telling yourself that.

Holla

Reactions: dinglefritz
We all agree he’s our best player. It’s idiotic to turn him into a Swiss Army knife when he could be taking every snap.

AM looked good, who cares. It’s good to have an experienced backup.
Im not 100% ready to give on 2am, but Im very close. The only reason Im not is because his first game was against Ohio St. He looked better than last year, but imo he still looks like a deer in the head lights. Like the game is just moving to fast for him. Luke seems to be able to analyze the D and make a decision much much faster. If I was a betting man Im betting 2am is no longer the starter by the end of the year.

He was...and it actually wasn't even that close tbh.

Holla
The element that McCaffrey brings to the table is the 50 yard run play that I don't think Martinez can pull off. McCaffrey is a special talent but I don't think he's big enough to take the number of hits he would take if he was running a bunch. I haven't seen enough of McCaffrey in the passing game to advise Frost on who to play.

Reactions: kakdawg and WHCSC
It was an RPO designed to get the opposition tricked in to think he was going to run. Semantics. He had the option to run the ball so it wasn't a pure play action.

I believe we have the guys now but with no spring football and a screwed up fall camp it has been difficult to get them enough reps to be ready to play. Hell even our 7 on 7 optional workouts were f'd.

Im not 100% ready to give on 2am, but Im very close. The only reason Im not is because his first game was against Ohio St. He looked better than last year, but imo he still looks like a deer in the head lights. Like the game is just moving to fast for him. Luke seems to be able to analyze the D and make a decision much much faster. If I was a betting man Im betting 2am is no longer the starter by the end of the year.
If the game's too fast for him it's time to turn the page. He already has more starts under his belt than most QB's ever get at this level.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
It was an RPO designed to get the opposition tricked in to think he was going to run. Semantics. He had the option to run the ball so it wasn't a pure play action.
By that definition, then our entire offense was nothing but trick plays.. everything Scott does is an RPO.

ADVERTISEMENT