ADVERTISEMENT

McCaffrey leaves Louisville

On the Tuesday before the Rutgers game he shows up at practice and tells the coaches he is unable to practice. Didn't practice all week but travelled with the team for the Rutgers game. Go figure.
That would be the coddling & keep certain kids happy aspect of Frost's program that really hurts team chemistry. This also came up with Wandale and making sure he got his touches.

That Grant vs LMC comparison was fun to look at. Wildly different offenses obviously, but ol' Mike had the edge in TD-INT ratio. LMC might have been something special in that Osborn offense. It's funny that Grant needed 3 years to get to like 140 passing attempts.

What the two share is that feeling you got when they dropped back to pass and your internal monologue went, "Oh no..."

I really wanted Luke to stay at NU and be a successful player, I just think that anyone who tells him he's got a high ceiling as a passer is being dishonest with him. If he goes to an option system, he could make some hay. His greatest weapon is his feet.

He's a good decision maker when he runs. Makes good cuts, sees the angles, fights for yardage. When he throws...not so much.

This rapid transfer is a terrible look for him, weird deal. I thought the Louisville offense could be a good fit for him philosophically but I knew nothing about their QB situation.

Reactions: rchrisreade
More revisionist history. In 2018, 52% of all QBs went on to transfer, mostly back ups that lost jobs. That number is now nearly 60%. To expect a RS freshman to stick around for 4 years to play backup to another freshman is ridiculous thinking. Which is why Frost slow played the announcement until he thought Gebbia didn't have the option to transfer.
100% agree with you on the subject of Gebbia. They botched the timing of that announcement so badly, they gave him the time and the motive to leave in the last week he had the option to do it.

Had he been around, he starts multiple games that year because Martinez got hurt and who knows...he might have seized the job and never looked back.

Technically that has nothing to do where he should have went in the very first place..
I wrote maybe to answer your question regarding if he should have went there in the first place.

After a quick search, I found this from you. You didn't seem to think he should have went to Rice originally though.

Believe 2AM is the one that needs to step up and prove he is head and shoulders better than Luke McCaffery, because McCaffery going to be much better with season under his belt running this offense..

He originally went to Nebraska only because we were the best at assuring him that we would keep and develop him at QB. If he was clearly willing to consider position changes, he had better offers he would have chosen. If we were abandoning our commitment to develop him at QB, it is no surprise that he abandoned ship.

What is surprising is that despite being older and wiser and with great parental tutelage, he didn’t make a surer escape plan. Now he looks bad.
I don't think Frost abandoned the plan to develop him as a QB. If he stayed, he would have been number 2 on the QB depth chart at this time. Maybe with Smothers and HH in the room he worried that he wouldn't keep that spot. Who knows? My guess is, if AM wasn't benched in favor of LM in the first place, he still would be with the program. The staff may have pulled the trigger prematurely when LM wasn't really ready yet.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I wrote maybe to answer your question regarding if he should have went there in the first place.

After a quick search, I found this from you. You didn't seem to think he should have went to Rice originally though.
What what does that have to do with the price of tea in China..

Reactions: Dean Pope
I'm confused. Are we talking football or is Mccafrey having tea and rice in China?? 😕
Good question. Here is what I know, McCaffrey, signed with Nebraska, redshirted in 2019, got a free Covid year in 2020, transferred from Nebraska, committed to Louisville, moved to Louisville, practiced a 3 or 4 days, never attended a class at Louisville, decided Louisville wasn't going to be for him after all, transferred to Rice, is immediately eligible and has 4 years of eligibility remaining.

What I don't know, if he should have gone to Rice immediately out of high school and the price of tea in China.

Good question. Here is what I know, McCaffrey, signed with Nebraska, redshirted in 2019, got a free Covid year in 2020, transferred from Nebraska, committed to Louisville, moved to Louisville, practiced a 3 or 4 days, never attended a class at Louisville, decided Louisville wasn't going to be for him after all, transferred to Rice, is immediately eligible and has 4 years of eligibility remaining.

What I don't know, if he should have gone to Rice immediately out of high school and the price of tea in China.
I was referring to he should have went to Rice in the first place instead of going Louisville, that is what I meant.. not in the first place going to Nebraska.🙄

You like to twist things around …But you be U…

Reactions: dinglefritz
I was referring to he should have went to Rice in the first place instead of going Louisville, that is what I meant.. not in the first place going to Nebraska.🙄

You like to twist things around …But you be U…
My apologies, you wrote....

Should have went there in the first place..Right

It wasn't clear that you were referring to after Nebraska or high school. Bloomgren was hired in late 2017 for the 2018 season. McCaffrey was still in high school and hadn't committed to Nebraska when Bloomgren was hired at Rice. Clearly going to Rice immediately after Nebraska would have made for better optics.

I'm glad he kept pushing the transfer button until he found a school with no QB's so we can finally settle the blood feud on this board as to whether he's any good. But it'll probably be just my luck that he'll lose the job to another warm body and we'll be stuck debating it forever. As an aside, if he's got that many years left to play I'll bet he transfers at least one more time.

I decided to go on to twitter (aka "look at me") and watch his highlight video. What a F***ING joke. I saw the same TD shown and replayed but I didn't see any of the 6 interceptions from the 2020 season. 1 TD and 6 INTs.

Good luck at Rice young man (not seriously). Fortunately his top billing of "now former" is Louisville first - not Nebraska. That apple fell far from the tree.

I decided to go on to twitter (aka "look at me") and watch his highlight video. What a F***ING joke. I saw the same TD shown and replayed but I didn't see any of the 6 interceptions from the 2020 season. 1 TD and 6 INTs.

Good luck at Rice young man (not seriously). Fortunately his top billing of "now former" is Louisville first - not Nebraska. That apple fell far from the tree.
Have you ever seen a highlight video where it shows that player throwing an INT, fumbling the ball, dropping a pass, missing a tackle or block?

Reactions: timnsun
Correct. Redshirt freshman. 2019 class, RS 2019, Covid 2020.
So he's had five semesters of college and is still a freshman in eligibility? From an academic standpoint, Luke's in a great situation. He could probably get a double major and a master's from Rice. All the while on a full ride. I did look it up and Luke is just a marketing major. I'm sorry, but getting a marketing degree from Rice seems akin to owning a Porsche and only driving it to church.

Not sure what the entire context of this tweet is from, but if you took Frost's comments just from this tweet, how can you assume that Frost referenced McCaffrey and not all transfers in general?
They assumed because in an earlier comment he said something like, we already had one kid leave and is already going somewhere else. It was clear who he was talking about.

Frost appears to be playing to the audience at a Big Red Blitz event, and again didn't realize that just because he is within his friend zone in Kearney that it doesn't mean that camera's and recorders aren't rolling and people aren't taking notes and going to put it out there.

They assumed because in an earlier comment he said something like, we already had one kid leave and is already going somewhere else. It was clear who he was talking about.

Frost appears to be playing to the audience at a Big Red Blitz event, and again didn't realize that just because he is within his friend zone in Kearney that it doesn't mean that camera's and recorders aren't rolling and people aren't taking notes and going to put it out there.
Gotcha. I didn't know that so thanks for putting it into context.

Even still it doesn't seem like he was being harsh on Luke. I still think Christian was being overly dramatic.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT