ADVERTISEMENT

McCaffrey leaves Louisville

Gebbia would have played a bunch that first year due to Martinez's injuries. He would have at least gotten multiple starts to show what he could do. I think he might have beaten Martinez out IF he had stuck around.

Wouldn't have suprised me a bit. Ironically they seem to be moving in more of the direction of throw first guys now 4 years later. Would've loved to see it play out for sure.

Holla

More revisionist history. In 2018, 52% of all QBs went on to transfer, mostly back ups that lost jobs. That number is now nearly 60%. To expect a RS freshman to stick around for 4 years to play backup to another freshman is ridiculous thinking. Which is why Frost slow played the announcement until he thought Gebbia didn't have the option to transfer.

Yeah you may be right. I'll be honest AT THAT TIME I didn't have a problem how Frost handled it because you may be right about waiting till the end to announce a loser. NOW I wonder what if Frost would've named them CO starters who both would play? Maybe Gebbia sticks around and Adrian gets hurt and who knows what happens...just a thought.

Holla

Yeah you may be right. I'll be honest AT THAT TIME I didn't have a problem how Frost handled it because you may be right about waiting till the end to announce a loser. NOW I wonder what if Frost would've named them CO starters who both would play? Maybe Gebbia sticks around and Adrian gets hurt and who knows what happens...just a thought.

Holla
Maybe. I think Frost knew early on that he was going with Martinez. Frost had to be thinking I have 2 walk ons (Bunch and Masker) and a transfer (Vedral) that, at the time, no one thought was going to be cleared to play in 2018. He needed Gebbia to stick around. Had he announced the starter in the summer, Gebbia leaves immediately, for the reasons I mentioned. Not many freshman QBs are going to stick around with the hope that the other freshman, the starter, gets injured.

Wouldn't have suprised me a bit. Ironically they seem to be moving in more of the direction of throw first guys now 4 years later. Would've loved to see it play out for sure.

Holla
I said the same thing earlier this week, that Bianco, Torres, and Haarberg look more like Gebbia's skillset than Martinez, McCaffrey or Smothers' skill set.

I said the same thing earlier this week, that Bianco, Torres, and Haarberg look more like Gebbia's skillset than Martinez, McCaffrey or Smothers' skill set.

Absolutely..kinda suprised me a bit though because Milton at UCF was obviously a throw first guy. He wasn't a statue but teams would rather see him run than throw. Funny thing is that if Adrian had proven to be what we all THOUGHT he was this would be a moot conversation outside of injury. Which one could argue wouldn't happen if he was a more effective passer.

Holla

Maybe. I think Frost knew early on that he was going with Martinez. Frost had to be thinking I have 2 walk ons (Bunch and Masker) and a transfer (Vedral) that, at the time, no one thought was going to be cleared to play in 2018. He needed Gebbia to stick around. Had he announced the starter in the summer, Gebbia leaves immediately, for the reasons I mentioned. Not many freshman QBs are going to stick around with the hope that the other freshman, the starter, gets injured.

FACTS!

Holla

Bunch came in on 1st and 20 because of a holding call on the play were Martinez was injured. Ozigbo on a hand off, Bunch on a QB draw, CU used their 1st TO, then on 3rd and 16 then Bunch hit Spielmann in the chest with a ball that should have been a 1st down, but the receiver dropped it. Clock stopped with 2:34 to play. Punt Colorado takes over 77 yards away with 2:23 on the clock and 2 TO. Defense got it to 3rd and 24 and Antonio Reed commits the dumbest defensive penalty of the year, trying to lay out the receiver after the ball sailed over his head. It would have been 4th and 24 from the CU 45, instead 1st and 10 from the Nebraska 40, next play TD, misses the 2 pt conversion, leaving 1:03 on the clock. First play after the kickoff, Bunch hits Williams, first down at midfield, 2nd play, the OLine let Colorado DLine basically come in untouched and Bunch threw it away, 3rd play, Bunch hit the TE for about 4 yards, 3rd and 6 and Bunch hits Morgan for a 1st down at the 22 yard line :22 on the clock. Then we have the beautiful false start that forces Frost to use his last timeout to avoid a 10 second runoff. 1st and 15 swing pass to Bell for 5 yards. 2nd down and 10, pass incomplete to Morgan in the corner of the endzone, 3rd and 10, pass incomplete to Williams, 4th down, Colorado brought the blitz and Bunch threw it up for grabs in the endzone.

What one single play does Tristan Gebbia make in that sequence that would have been the difference? I think some revisionist history is going on here.

You want to know what the difference in the game is to me, Frost continuing to have the team snap the ball with 15 seconds left on the play clock with the clock running. He didn't force Colorado to use all of their TOs on defense. How about JD catching the freaking ball that hit him in the chest? How about Reed not hitting a receiver without the ball giving them a 1st down at our 40?

Thanks for the details.. it’s like I’m back at the game all over again ☹️

Screw Gebbia. His teammate, a 1st team All-Pac12 player last year, would have made a bigger impact before he got ran off. Some dude named Avery Roberts.

Reactions: ATX Husker
Thanks for the details.. it’s like I’m back at the game all over again ☹️
Sorry. I was just thinking back and I couldn’t think of that “one play” that wasn’t executed that Gebbia would have made that Bunch didn’t. So I went back and watched the last 4 minutes on the 40 minute playback on YouTube. So as I watched, I wrote down my thoughts.

watching it again, we gave almost :50 seconds,in the last 3 min, of game time to Colorado for free. Didn’t even make them use the last 2 Timeouts. I only watched from the Martinez injury. I don’t know how much extra time we gave them before he went down.

Vedral wasn’t eligible till later on in the season…
In the 1980’s and 90’s it wasn’t surprising that a Freshman QB wouldn’t start till his Senior year but they just didn’t pick up their bags and leave at a whim like they can do now…

Reactions: HuskAir and GMDYBBY
Vedral wasn’t eligible till later on in the season…
In the 1980’s and 90’s it wasn’t surprising that a Freshman QB wouldn’t start till his Senior year but they just didn’t pick up their bags and leave at a whim like they can do now…
I am aware. That validates the point. Frost already lost Patrick O'Brien, So he went from 4 scholarship QBs to 3, one of whom was a transfer and wouldn't be eligible to play in 2018, and 2 walk on QBs. If he let Gebbia know that he was going with Martinez, Gebbia leaves in June or July.

It's ok to admit, Frost played poker and lost.

Comparing things to the 80s and 90s is tired. The landscape of college football is different. I couldn't discuss Husker football on the computer in the 80's and 90's like we do now either. Things evolve, some good, some bad.

Reactions: timnsun
You want to know what the difference in the game is to me, Frost continuing to have the team snap the ball with 15 seconds left on the play clock with the clock running. He didn't force Colorado to use all of their TOs on defense.
The clock management on that drive was so bad, the TV announcers were practically screaming for NU to use more of the play clock. And sure, Colorado ended up scoring with plenty of time to spare anyway. But you don't know what CU's play selection would have been if they had less time to work with and no TOs. Their winning TD drive might have fallen apart early.

The clock management on that drive was so bad, the TV announcers were practically screaming for NU to use more of the play clock. And sure, Colorado ended up scoring with plenty of time to spare anyway. But you don't know what CU's play selection would have been if they had less time to work with and no TOs. Their winning TD drive might have fallen apart early.
All of that comes back to Antonio Reed. Felt like it just deflated the D after that. Stadium was rocking and you could just hear the moan.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Like I said, none of these kids who transferred from N went anywhere special and played.
The big question: why are we recruiting these kids. We'll, I get some of it. They don't all pan out. Never will.
The other side of it, N needs to start recruiting higher rated players and landing those top choices instead of taking a option waaaaay down the list.

Like I said, none of these kids who transferred from N went anywhere special and played.
The big question: why are we recruiting these kids. We'll, I get some of it. They don't all pan out. Never will.
The other side of it, N needs to start recruiting higher rated players and landing those top choices instead of taking a option waaaaay down the list.
Where is Nitt and Red Scowl when you need them

All of that comes back to Antonio Reed. Felt like it just deflated the D after that. Stadium was rocking and you could just hear the moan.
Terrible clock management is terrible clock management, no matter what happens afterward. CU could have gone four-and-out and lost, and it wouldn’t explain Nebraska’s use of the play clock.

Anyone that quits on 2 schools in less than a year is a quitter and a flake. Not a leader. Not a QB.
Sure on the quitter & flake (possibly leader too), but it doesn't change the fact that he'd be the #2 QB if still at Nebraska.

Sure on the quitter & flake (possibly leader too), but it doesn't change the fact that he'd be the #2 QB if still at Nebraska.
Luke quitting at Louisville kind of makes Mitch Sherman's article back in January stating "Frost can't spin the McCaffrey loss" look like some pretty shi$$y journalism now. Clearly Luke has some growing up to do and Mitch needs to maybe talk to the player before he assumes the head coach screwed up with him.

Absolutely..kinda suprised me a bit though because Milton at UCF was obviously a throw first guy. He wasn't a statue but teams would rather see him run than throw. Funny thing is that if Adrian had proven to be what we all THOUGHT he was this would be a moot conversation outside of injury. Which one could argue wouldn't happen if he was a more effective passer.

Holla
I think Milton had better wheels than you may be giving him credit for. He was a threat in the run game. He wasn't a take it 90 guy but his short distance quickness and elusiveness was very good I thought.

I think Milton had better wheels than you may be giving him credit for. He was a threat in the run game. He wasn't a take it 90 guy but his short distance quickness and elusiveness was very good I thought.
Milton never beat anyone by being a runner. He was good enough to get some 1st downs and to keep Ds honest.

Yep. They definitely seem to be gravitating to a different type of QB. After 3 years…..

He spent a week. Part of his so-called teammates, didn't even know he was on campus. He really needs to calm down and find a way to plug in somewhere.

Luke, good luck.

No, but it doesn't matter what I think. If LM were here he'd be #2 QB.
No he wouldn't unless he never left. If brought back, he would be battling for catches and runs as a hybrid RB/receiver. If he never left, he would have lost that #2 spot very quickly if we have a stone cold killer coach that understood he was horrible as an actual qb. He is a hybrid back that can do damage. Nothing else.

If Luke were still at NU, he wouldn't be a quitter or a flake, right? Yes, he'd still be our #2 QB, which wouldn't be good.

To go with the hybrid player talk, and since I don’t consider Luke’s 1 ft toss handoff a real pass…. Tyjon Lindsey threw one more TD pass than Luke did in 2020…. and 6 fewer interceptions than Luke.

And my answer would be we definitely do not want Luke back at all. He completely quit on the team for a “worse situation”, gave up on the bad move after a week or so and that would just be bringing back the toxic.
No thank you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT