ADVERTISEMENT

McCaffery in the portal

Apparently all of the warm fuzzies from Frost don’t amount to much
If this hasn’t hit him square between the eyes that this generation cares little to none about loyalty and more about self opportunity I don’t know what will
Frost as a player’s coach needs to grow
This is many things admittedly
LM misidentified by an offensive coaching staff with 5 full time assistants including HC and a QB coach and an OC
Adrian and/or Smothers are ahead of LM
I don’t get the offensive leadership on this team
M Farniok and Warner were captains, why?
Admittedly there is an offensive shift under way with the WR we are bringing in and Warner and LM are not in sync with that and frankly I’m ok with it too
We can’t roll out UCF’s offense and compete in this league

Must mean that Smothers beat him out. Wouldn’t be shocked to see Luke end up with Bert.
And what makes you think Smothers is going to stay? Frost wouldn't even give him a snap on the field this year.

@BigNUFan51 Thinking about big, fat Bert Bielma.

tenor.gif

Might this make it possible for Frost to pursue a transfer QB now under the guise that he's just "building depth"?
he should have done it a lot earlier when there was some good talent on the board... maybe someone else might put themselves on the board, but to me, this says that the players have trust issues with frost and the offense.

God, I wish Martinez would transfer instead of all these other guys. Unreal.

Along with Warner and farniok
For the best. The kid could be a playmaker for us, but not at quarterback. The sooner he comes to that realization, the better. Makes no sense to waste snaps on a kid with no future at the position.

Reactions: GaRed
Must mean that Smothers beat him out.
When would that have happened? Not to say that Smothers isn't a better QB, because at this point I sure as Hell hope that's the case. But if Smothers proved that on the practice field, there was no reason not to play him in 2020.

Apparently all of the warm fuzzies from Frost don’t amount to much
If this hasn’t hit him square between the eyes that this generation cares little to none about loyalty and more about self opportunity I don’t know what will
Frost as a player’s coach needs to grow
This is many things admittedly
LM misidentified by an offensive coaching staff with 5 full time assistants including HC and a QB coach and an OC
Adrian and/or Smothers are ahead of LM
I don’t get the offensive leadership on this team
M Farniok and Warner were captains, why?
Admittedly there is an offensive shift under way with the WR we are bringing in and Warner and LM are not in sync with that and frankly I’m ok with it too
We can’t roll out UCF’s offense and compete in this league
this is all very normal. the average program has lost just as many and often times more players to transfer this year than nebraska. Given the terrible on field results its very obvious that recruits love coach frost. there is no other reason why Neb would be recruiting so well. its the only reason.
as far as the QBs go thats not Frosts fault either. he was lucky to get Martinez when tennessee fired their head coach. unfortunately, that meant any other QB would be relegated to backup for at least the next 4 years maybe 5. you can't keep QBs on your roster if they can't beat out the starter. its just facts

Along with Warner and farniok
I highly doubt Kade Or Will was ever going to see the field.
McCaffrey, who knows but playing QB here at N was never going to work unless somehow he became a accurate passing QB.
Wish em well

Reactions: arf_man
When would that have happened? Not to say that Smothers isn't a better QB, because at this point I sure as Hell hope that's the case. But if Smothers proved that on the practice field, there was no reason not to play him in 2020.
Frost had enough of a quarterback controversy without throwing a third player into the mix. If Smothers isn't game ready and makes a bunch of mistakes, Frost looks more foolish than he already did. My gut on it is that Smothers has better arm talent which could be plainly seen in practice. Add some good weight and mastery of the playbook and get him out there next fall in some capacity.

Not on our roster and still getting paid. Just like all of the fired coaches. Now it's the players as well. Smart move on his part to announce the day after classes started.

I highly doubt Kade Or Will was ever going to see the field.
McCaffrey, who knows but playing QB here at N was never going to work unless somehow he became a accurate passing QB.
Wish em well
No doubt farniak saw the writing on the wall. Warner could have carved out a role, but he botched his opportunities and I think this staff lost confidence in him.

Frost and Verduzco have turned out to really suck at recruiting quarterbacks. He has got to land his number one target next year plus a grad transfer/juco guy.

Honestly, Frost should just do what OU did for several years and take grad transfer QB's. Easy to evaluate them against actual college competition and don't have to roll the dice on Mario developing them.

In a way I'm glad to see Luke leave. The problem was that he just isn't a P5 QB and Frost was too stubborn to use him properly. So his presence on the team became more of a hindrance than an asset. Could have been a really dynamic player I think at another position but Frost wouldn't move him.

I think Frost is in danger of getting himself and Moos fired eventually if he continues to be so stubborn in his ways.

I believe that McCaffrey did himself and the team a favor. Frost was going to force the issue in playing him at QB. That would have taken reps away from Smothers and it would have hurt us in recruiting a better QB. Luke was not going to lead us as a QB to places we need to go. Both sides are liberated.

All the best to Luke, was one of my favorite kids.

Frost had enough of a quarterback controversy without throwing a third player into the mix. If Smothers isn't game ready and makes a bunch of mistakes, Frost looks more foolish than he already did. My gut on it is that Smothers has better arm talent which could be plainly seen in practice. Add some good weight and mastery of the playbook and get him out there next fall in some capacity.
I have no problem with someone saying Smothers will turn out to be a better QB, but that's different than saying Smothers "beat McCaffrey out." The latter implies that there's actually a plan at work, and that Frost isn't just throwing s--- against the wall. Call me skeptical.

In a way I'm glad to see Luke leave. The problem was that he just isn't a P5 QB and Frost was too stubborn to use him properly. So his presence on the team became more of a hindrance than an asset. Could have been a really dynamic player I think at another position but Frost wouldn't move him.
Even with this said, Luke would've really needed to pack on some size, muscle to compete here at N.

It's time for SF to make decisions on what's best for the team and not worry about hurt feelings. He obviously knew this might be coming and that's why he did his little press tour that LM is a QB. Maybe Frost should go get his brother.

Even with this said, Luke would've really needed to pack on some size, muscle to compete here at N.
I wonder if he and Dylan didn't get the good genetics. Dylan is 6-4 and 185 as a senior in college. That is not going to cut it.

At this point, Frost REALLY needs to be looking in the transfer portal for a QB. We only hope that Frost/Verduzco are smart enough this time to pick one that can actually complete a pass consistently including some downfield.

It's time for SF to make decisions on what's best for the team and not worry about hurt feelings. He obviously knew this might be coming and that's why he did his little press tour that LM is a QB. Maybe Frost should go get his brother.

Frost was held hostage and he needs to stop getting himself in these situations. He needs to recruit a legit throwing QB with little need of development. We’ve seen the development from Verduzco and him have been $hit.

Reactions: cornwoman
Is Jace Ruder from North Carolina (via Norton, Kansas) still available?

He'd be immediately eligible. Was a 4-star out of high school.

When we lost Wan'dale, we had Toure already in the fold. With Mills, we had Stepp.

Will there be a QB announcement soon?

Reactions: arvadahusker
Is Jace Ruder from North Carolina (via Norton, Kansas) still available?

He'd be immediately eligible. Was a 4-star out of high school.

When we lost Wan'dale, we had Toure already in the fold. With Mills, we had Stepp.

Gotta be careful though, he can’t challenge AMart or he’ll leave too... gotta be someone talented but less talented than AMart.

That would make sense. McCaffrey had his shot at starting QB this season, and (short of being recruited over) would have had his shot again next season.

ADVERTISEMENT