ADVERTISEMENT

MBB tonight

Full disclosure - the last NU Hoops game I watched for more than a few minutes was the GaTech game, but from following the scores online this is not unusual. NU seems to be able to hang around in the first half. Usually the opponent gets out pretty quickly in the 2nd half, NU makes a little run to get back with single digits, only to see the other team close it out and win pretty easily.

Maybe NU breaks the trend tonight.

Reactions: Husker Hambone
We have a lot of guys you would want playing 12 minutes a game and are just way too undersized.

Reactions: Hoosker Du
So....what was everyone's expectation this year with an almost complete roster change?
None. I was hoping for a .500 record but after we got smoked by UC Santa Cruz I was hoping for double digits. We'll be fine 2 of our 3 best players are sitting out this year.

They desperately need some size. Also need to finish around hoop. They play hard for a team on a bad losing streak. Big ten is a monster this year. Green and Mack are so quick, they can get to the rack most trips down but just cannot finish for whatever reason.

They desperately need some size. Also need to finish around hoop. They play hard for a team on a bad losing streak. Big ten is a monster this year. Green and Mack are so quick, they can get to the rack most trips down but just cannot finish for whatever reason.
It's tough to finish consistently when you're constantly getting knocked on your ass at the rim. "Finishing" over B1G bigs is not easy.

Reactions: Husker Hambone
Izzo did a cool thing last night in starting Hoiberg's son.

90% sure it was a cool thing

however, knowing the cut throat nature of college hoops and how competitive Izzo is - 10% of me wonders if this was some type of next level psychological warfare meant to distract Fred - it caught Fred off guard as there was no pregame notice

however, knowing the cut throat nature of college hoops and how competitive Izzo is - 10% of me wonders if this was some type of next level psychological warfare meant to distract Fred - it caught Fred off guard as there was no pregame notice or warning

:rolleyes: He didn’t catch him off guard what so ever..

your quote “ it caught Fred off guard as there was no pre-game notice”

Apparently he did before the game when they went out for the starting line up.

your quote “ it caught Fred off guard as there was no pre-game notice”

Apparently he did before the game when they went out for the starting line up.

yes - the starter notifications are before the game starts - should have stated no notice prior to getting the starters list

Last edited:
Reactions: scarletred

however, knowing the cut throat nature of college hoops and how competitive Izzo is - 10% of me wonders if this was some type of next level psychological warfare meant to distract Fred - it caught Fred off guard as there was no pregame notice
Since Cam Mack immediately took the ball to the rim against Hoiberg, it didn't seem to throw the Huskers off a whole lot. Second time Mack did it, Izzo immediately summoned his usual starter.

Seemed like a nice gesture on Izzo's part, and one that he could readily afford given the talent gap between the two teams. As Bill Raftery joked, "Who knew Izzo had a heart?"

Reactions: dinglefritz
I thought they said on KFAB that Izzo told Jack the day before. If that's the case, then I assume Jack told his parents.

As for the team, in most losses these guys are able to compete for about 1/2 a game (whether that half is at the beginning like last night, the middle 20 or last 20 of a game) I would look for going somewhere around .500 next year and competing for about 3/4 of the game in the losses. I think if you see that, you can be happy its moving in the right direction. Year 3, you should see 40 minutes of competitive ball in most games (there's always a couple of clunkers in any season). Doesn't mean they will win 20+ games, as getting over the hump in those 10 or so games that come down to the last minute isn't necessarily a given and could take a little more time. But, you should see a highly competitive team beginning to end by year 3, IMO.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Good for the Hoibergs, but when do Husker fans get a chance to cheer something good? Jack's not a Husker, so I don't care who started. I want to beat Jack Hoiberg, starting next year. I'm tired of other teams' scrubs putting points on us in garbage time.

Bad take, hes a good ball player. Glad fred has finally had enough of the shitty officiating
Each team was called for 15 fouls.

FG% (51% to 34%) and getting beaten on the boards (51-26) had much more to do with this game than the officiating.

But....I'll stop. I don't want to be accused of not being a Husker fan since I'm not bashing the officiating.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT