ADVERTISEMENT

MBB thread for game

Ohio St getting wide open looks whenever they want. Easy to look good when that happens. First the locker room gets taken away....next, Scholorships hopefully.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by BigRedPimp:
I think Miles is positioning for a better draft pick...
roll.r191677.gif

At one point we had Moses, Shields, Benny, Webster, Rivers on the floor. Let that sink in and try and tell me we don't need a serious talent upgrade.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Put a shooter in the corner, dribble toward petteway, petteway runs at dribbler, pass to shooter in the corner. Shooter can have a snack, maybe chat up a cheerleader, then take the shot and he still has time to tie his shoes before a hand would be in his face, the 2-3 isn't looking good tonight, need to play man to man as much as possible.

Originally posted by janne:
Who is this shooter that you speak of?
Pretty much any OSU shooter could find room on either corner. 11/19 from 3, better shooting percentage than inside.

Sorry, I misread. Thought you were talking about what we should do to get our shooters open.

Originally posted by BetterRed:

lol........same chit. Guess we're going to just mail in the last four games and call it a season.
Seems like we`ve been mailing in quite a few games this season.

Miles is a great coach...but somewhere along the way he lost this team. His moves have been met with even worse performances as the season has progressed. There is an obvious wall that has been built between the players and coach.

(A quick caveat. A give Miles huge props for saying how asinine it was for him to go public with his punishment. "Tim Miles isn't second-guessing his decision to ban his Nebraska men's basketball team from its locker room, and he's not worried about his tactic backfiring. He does, however, wish he'd not made the punishment so public.
'That's my only regret, is opening my big mouth. I was just PO'd enough that I brought it up,' Miles said.")

Yet, I think he is minimizing the obvious rift that there is between players and coach. In that same article before the Ohio State game he was playing up how the locker room thing was so effective in getting better practices. "Miles said he isn't worrying about the ban backfiring and causing a rift between him and players. Their connection, he said, is fine. 'If this is all it takes to put a relationship in disrepair, then we didn't have much of a relationship to begin with, if this is what it's based on,' Miles said."
Fact of the matter is that they did not come to play last night and the punishment had no effect in their game. The rest of this year needs to be getting that relationship repaired because obviously these guys are playing way below their capabilities. I believe Miles is the guys and we will win quite a few NCAA tourney games before he is done. But hopefully this year will be a learning experience for him.

While I like Miles, it seems a bit premature to label him "great." Seems to me he has gotten the minimum wins out of this team and they certainly aren't improving with the exception of the close Maryland loss.
Originally posted by Tulsa Tom:
Miles is a great coach...but somewhere along the way he lost this team. His moves have been met with even worse performances as the season has progressed. There is an obvious wall that has been built between the players and coach.

(A quick caveat. A give Miles huge props for saying how asinine it was for him to go public with his punishment. "Tim Miles isn't second-guessing his decision to ban his Nebraska men's basketball team from its locker room, and he's not worried about his tactic backfiring. He does, however, wish he'd not made the punishment so public.
'That's my only regret, is opening my big mouth. I was just PO'd enough that I brought it up,' Miles said.")

He hasn't been great this year but I actually believe what a coach has done elsewhere matters. He has shown a penchant for turning teams around.

Originally posted by Tulsa Tom:
He hasn't been great this year but I actually believe what a coach has done elsewhere matters. He has shown a penchant for turning teams around.
Oh, he turned this team around alright.

No question that he has been bad this year. What is most disconcerting is the wall he has built between himself and the players. (I understand the problems in being a players' coach...we have seen that for seven years on the football side. A "players' coach" has most of the guys on a team love him while a few despise him because they sense favorites are being played. It happens with every guy termed a "players' coach".)

HOWEVER, what has happened this year in basketball is even more problematic. Miles has tried to set himself off as the enforcer...the one on the side of the fans...the ONE who represents the university well. When things go bad he speaks publicly about the kids not giving the fans what they deserve...about not being solid representative of the university. While that will give him props on message boards, it builds unnecessary walls between players and fans. It is similar to what happened with Bo, except Miles is seen as being on the side of the fans/university.

But this is really about one season. When one looks at Tim Miles, we not only have to take into account this year but the last couple of years at NU. He did a fantastic job in getting everything out of his players and putting the program on a high trajectory. Also, and I know this won't be popular with some, his success at past schools should be discussed! He set at least three other programs on a great trajectory of winning. So, to moan about one bad year is over the top. Hopefully, he will have learned some lessons and will be better next year.

This post was edited on 2/28 9:34 AM by Tulsa Tom

Last year was an anomaly. If you throw it out as statistically invalid, then this year's season has been pretty much like the last century.

I like Miles, and I still think he's the right coach for the long haul. But it is a little disturbing when a coach loses his team.

Last year was an anomaly. If you throw it out as statistically invalid, then this year's season has been pretty much like the last century.

I like Miles, and I still think he's the right coach for the long haul. But it is a little disturbing when a coach loses his team.

ADVERTISEMENT