ADVERTISEMENT

Maybe just wishful thinking

SnohomishRed

Offensive Coordinator
Jan 31, 2005
Snohomish
But this coaching hire just feels different to me. Maybe its that he is a NU guy, but I believe it is more than that. It appears we have the leadership in place to now make really good decisions. With all the hires before including Pelini it was almost as if we were trying to just please fans rather than make a great hire.

With Frost it appears we have an opportunity to do both - fans want him yet he is also the hottest young coach on the market right now.

I hope this whole thing goes off without a hitch, but feeling as if this program is turning a corner

But this coaching hire just feels different to me. Maybe its that he is a NU guy, but I believe it is more than that. It appears we have the leadership in place to now make really good decisions. With all the hires before including Pelini it was almost as if we were trying to just please fans rather than make a great hire.

With Frost it appears we have an opportunity to do both - fans want him yet he is also the hottest young coach on the market right now.

I hope this whole thing goes off without a hitch, but feeling as if this program is turning a corner
It does feel different. The fact is, we were hurt after Osborne retired by the fact that, as great as he was, he did not generate a large coaching tree. But now we finally have someone from his era who is a legit coach and who was part of the glory years on top of it.
About time.

And who was courted by Florida, Tennessee, Florida State and Oregon.
I think Frost is legit and thought that three years ago during the last coaching change. Smart guy, played and coached both sides of the ball, and has had associations with outstanding football guys in his decade plus as a coach. It would have been a bit of a chance to take naming him HC three years ago, but in hindsight it would have worked out just fine. We would be ahead of where we are right now.

The leadership of above the Head Football Coach's door since BB left for AM is more responsible for the current state of Nebraska football than the coaches themselves. Bill Moos checks all the boxes in a leadership position which may be the most important thing here. He has a plan to put Nebraska back where Nebraska belongs.

Agree I think leaders of the past just thought football would going on as norm with little effort put into it. IE hiring cheap, crappy coaches. Putting little effort into recruiting. Not updating our brand with the times.
The current leadership seems to understand all of this. Hopefully we are on the right path. It does feel like it.

The leadership of above the Head Football Coach's door since BB left for AM is more responsible for the current state of Nebraska football than the coaches themselves. Bill Moos checks all the boxes in a leadership position which may be the most important thing here. He has a plan to put Nebraska back where Nebraska belongs.

This. Not saying the U isn't as vibrant and alive as it was during BB's days, but things dramatically changed for the worse since his departure and that is squarely on the shoulders of UNL Leadership at all levels. Almost criminal what they did.

An extrodinary fact is that our fans have seen Frost win it all before for us. There's going to be more faith, more optimism and patience which we desperately need. Let the healing begin.

We just have to remember that he needs 5 years to show his product. The talent is barren.

Reactions: husker2612
Sorry, but it is wishful thinking. Central Florida didn't go undefeated in the SEC this year, they did it in the Association of Directional Byproducts, or whatever conference that is. All we have going for us right now is potential.

Scott Frost is going to call an option for the first play of the Spring Game, and fans are going to openly weep and cheer. The athletes are going to say they've never worked so hard in their lives, and that things are way different than with the previous staff. Just like they did when Callahan, Pelini, and Riley were hired. As the season begins, former players are going to be everywhere on campus, in the media, and on the sidelines. During a game Tom Osborne will be invited to accept some new award for something, and everybody will clap and cheer. Nebraska is back, we will all scream.

But looking at that schedule, especially the road games, it is not beyond the realm of possibility that Nebraska goes 7-5 next season. There is a helluva lot of work to do, and until we see a smart, disciplined, well-coached team on the field, nothing will have actually changed.

Sorry, but it is wishful thinking. Central Florida didn't go undefeated in the SEC this year, they did it in the Association of Directional Byproducts, or whatever conference that is. All we have going for us right now is potential.

Scott Frost is going to call an option for the first play of the Spring Game, and fans are going to openly weep and cheer. The athletes are going to say they've never worked so hard in their lives, and that things are way different than with the previous staff. Just like they did when Callahan, Pelini, and Riley were hired. As the season begins, former players are going to be everywhere on campus, in the media, and on the sidelines. During a game Tom Osborne will be invited to accept some new award for something, and everybody will clap and cheer. Nebraska is back, we will all scream.

But looking at that schedule, especially the road games, it is not beyond the realm of possibility that Nebraska goes 7-5 next season. There is a helluva lot of work to do, and until we see a smart, disciplined, well-coached team on the field, nothing will have actually changed.
But looking at that schedule, especially the road games, it is not beyond the realm of possibility that Nebraska goes 7-5 next season.

I think most would take that as progress

It feels different because just about everybody seems to finally be on the same page. No bitterness over the last coach being fired and no disagreement over whether the next coach is good enough for us.
Amazing how many of the butthurt coalition were whistling a different tune until just recently and mocking NU fans for wanting Frost.
He is such a home run hire. Only a few could be better...maybe three but they are also older.
This is going to be good, people. Really good.

But looking at that schedule, especially the road games, it is not beyond the realm of possibility that Nebraska goes 7-5 next season.

I think most would take that as progress
Progress will be not getting boat raced by a terrible Minny team, beating teams like NIU, closing games out like Northwestern rather than lose in overtime, not giving up 55 points to Purdue his first year, not giving up 56 to Iowa when you are leading almost the entire first half 14 to 7.

Progress will be not getting boat raced by a terrible Minny team, beating teams like NIU, closing games out like Northwestern rather than lose in overtime, not giving up 55 points to Purdue his first year, not giving up 56 to Iowa when you are leading almost the entire first half 14 to 7.
Agreed.

This. Not saying the U isn't as vibrant and alive as it was during BB's days, but things dramatically changed for the worse since his departure and that is squarely on the shoulders of UNL Leadership at all levels. Almost criminal what they did.

What is your understanding as to why he left? What was almost criminal? Not picking a fight, I’m curious.

Agreed

NU is NOT bereft of talent to compete against most of the teams in the league. The average Rivals B1G ranking for the past three years is as follows: NU 4.67, Wiscy 6, Iowa 9.67, MN 10.33 and NW 10.67. We are a combined 3-9 against these teams in the past three years. Either recruiting evaluations are completely sideways or talent development is way off the mark.
By the way, the rankings for the end of BP's tenure (12-14) are NU 3.67, Wiscy 8.33, Iowa 8.33, NW 9.67 and MN10.67. NU's problem has not been one of available talent, but of getting it done on the practice field.

Reactions: Sinomatic
I wonder, if Eichorst had not been fired when he was, how this would all be shaping up. Would Riley be coming back for another year? If not, who would Nebraska had gotten to replace him?

I've got a feeling all these moves were played out exactly as they needed to be in order to get this deal in place.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I wonder, if Eichorst had not been fired when he was, how this would all be shaping up. Would Riley be coming back for another year? If not, who would Nebraska had gotten to replace him?

I've got a feeling all these moves were played out exactly as they needed to be in order to get this deal in place.
Excellent question and exactly what I was thinking that gives me hope - They needed to fire Eichorst when they did but it was not a decision at that point without some risk - what if the team had gone and done really well for the rest of the year. If they had waited would Moos had been available or how long would it have taken to get him in place.

After so many bad decision by the UNL administration we now have an example of a good one that required a knowledge of football, some guts and and some skill

It seems like we are rebuilding the program where each person is going to concentrate on their areas of expertise. The President of the University hires an athletic director who hires a football coach. They give the football coach a longer than normal contract so the coach can build the program as he sees fit and doesn't have to worry about getting canned in year 3, the AD provides the support to the coach that is needed and doesn't try to run the program and the President gives the latitude and support to the athletic department to build a sustainable, high performing football program. I like the direction.

Ill be real honest, prior to his success this season at UCF this season, I was kinda on the fence regarding the hire. But his awesomeness this season has pretty much sealed the deal.

NU is NOT bereft of talent to compete against most of the teams in the league. The average Rivals B1G ranking for the past three years is as follows: NU 4.67, Wiscy 6, Iowa 9.67, MN 10.33 and NW 10.67. We are a combined 3-9 against these teams in the past three years. Either recruiting evaluations are completely sideways or talent development is way off the mark.
By the way, the rankings for the end of BP's tenure (12-14) are NU 3.67, Wiscy 8.33, Iowa 8.33, NW 9.67 and MN10.67. NU's problem has not been one of available talent, but of getting it done on the practice field.
I think we have a chance at being better quicker than we thought - this we have no talent thing is result of poor coaching for example

AAC - UCF all conference selections last three years - year before Frost and last two

2015 - Zero 1st team, 2nd team or Honorable mention - doesnt this feel familiar
2016 - 1 - 1st team, 1- 2nd team and 1- HM all were upper classmen
2017 - 10 - 1st team , 7 - 2nd team , zero - HM of the 17 only three of those players were Frost recruits - does he know how to develop talent - I would say so

I think it’s also because of the transition. There was a great deal of turmoil when both Callahan and Pelini were fired. Riley on the other hand is acting very graciously and with a level of class that Callahan and Pelini could never achieve. I think the calm demeanor of Riley is really going to make the transition for the players and the new staff much easier and help them get off on the right foot from the very beginning.

Exactly, it's the kind of candidate we never get. It's the kind of candidate we never even get an interview with. He checks virtually every box we could want from a coach.

Exactly.

Pedeyshine, SE & pencil-neck Perlman did their best to destroy Nebraska's football program. But they didn't succeed!!

WooHOO!!

6_4267953.jpg

Feeling good.... let's get to work!

I think it’s also because of the transition. There was a great deal of turmoil when both Callahan and Pelini were fired. Riley on the other hand is acting very graciously and with a level of class that Callahan and Pelini could never achieve. I think the calm demeanor of Riley is really going to make the transition for the players and the new staff much easier and help them get off on the right foot from the very beginning.

Although there was more turmoil in the staff when Callahan and Pelini were fired, the team Riley is leaving is far worse than ‘07 and ‘15. Our O-line is the worst in our history and did our soft defense no favors. Will take Frost 2-3 years to get our line play up to par.

Meanwhile sitting in his living room in SE Lincoln Tom smirked evilly as NU lost to Northwestern snarling "I love it when a plan comes together"....Eek No doubt some things are destined to be and as I've told many people probably a hundred times over the years, timing is everything in life. It can be the difference between wealth and poverty, life and death, or love and loneliness.

Reactions: arf_man

Add Bounds and Green to this as well. All three are committed to football being back, you couldn’t say that before.

Reactions: DPDWU
ADVERTISEMENT