ADVERTISEMENT

Maybe first time ever rooting for Miss St

Ima sending Stanford... Zona... Vols and Texas to the winner's bracket. Whatcha all got?

Reactions: sklarbodds
OK, gotta ask, what would be better?
Go back to the 1980s version where it wasn't broken up into two brackets and there was more variety in matchups. Right now, it's possible for a team can play seven games against just three of the other seven teams. Under the old format, you essentially had three rounds, then a reset with the four remaining teams.

That being said, the old format is less TV friendly and the on/off days would need to be managed.

I'm talking about this one...

Or do like the Big Ten does (except keep the three-game championship series or at least make it true double elimination rather than a single championship) and have participants swap in the loser brackets to gain more variety in matchups. This also permits teams from the same original half of the bracket to meet in the championship.

For starters, not 12 days. No single game days unless it's dictated by elimination of teams. That'd be a great start for change.
It’s shortened by one day starting next year. There will be no off-day before the finals. It also starts on Friday so the finals are Saturday/Sunday/Monday. This was the original schedule when the current format was implemented in 2003. (Dropping the ridiculous, made for CBS, one-game final.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Hskrbsbl2020
It’s shortened by one day starting next year. There will be no off-day before the finals. It also starts on Friday so the finals are Saturday/Sunday/Monday. This was the original schedule when the current format was implemented in 2003. (Dropping the ridiculous, made for CBS, one-game final.)

That's a start, still think it's a day too long with the above.

Friday game 1: A v B
Friday game 2: C v D

Saturday game 3: E v F
Saturday game 4: G v H

Sunday game 5: L1 v L2
Sunday game 6: W1 v W2

Monday game 7: L3 v L4
Monday game 8: W3 v W4

Tuesday game 9: W5 v L6
Tuesday game 10: W7 v L8

Wednesday game 11: W6 v W9
Wednesday game 12: W8 v W10

Thursday game 13: if necessary
Thursday game 14: if necessary
No games, it's a day off

Friday-Saturday-Sunday = Best 2 of 3

What'd I miss? It was done quickly so any mistake is an honest one. 9 day tournament, adios on day 10.

ESPN did a horrible job covering the 2021 CWS. From minimal updates, to no post-game coverage after the title unless you went to the SECN, and yes I'm aware it's owned by ESPN (furthers a similar topic point), to immediately cutting away to a 2014 UFC fight during a weather delay to Vandy homers calling the game, atrocious story telling and so much more. It was bad. Real bad.

College baseball coaches need to get together and demand more from the NCAA, CWS and ESPN. We're all aware of what conference the best teams are from and they'll continue to separate from the pack with their built in advantages.

That's a start, still think it's a day too long with the above.

Friday game 1: A v B
Friday game 2: C v D

Saturday game 3: E v F
Saturday game 4: G v H

Sunday game 5: L1 v L2
Sunday game 6: W1 v W2

Monday game 7: L3 v L4
Monday game 8: W3 v W4

Tuesday game 9: W5 v L6
Tuesday game 10: W7 v L8

Wednesday game 11: W6 v W9
Wednesday game 12: W8 v W10

Thursday game 13: if necessary
Thursday game 14: if necessary
No games, it's a day off

Friday-Saturday-Sunday = Best 2 of 3

What'd I miss? It was done quickly so any mistake is an honest one. 9 day tournament, adios on day 10.

ESPN did a horrible job covering the 2021 CWS. From minimal updates, to no post-game coverage after the title unless you went to the SECN, and yes I'm aware it's owned by ESPN (furthers a similar topic point), to immediately cutting away to a 2014 UFC fight during a weather delay to Vandy homers calling the game, atrocious story telling and so much more. It was bad. Real bad.

College baseball coaches need to get together and demand more from the NCAA, CWS and ESPN. We're all aware of what conference the best teams are from and they'll continue to separate from the pack with their built in advantages.
You got it all. That moves the finals forward one day by playing the second set of elimination games on the same day instead of separate days.

Reactions: Hskrbsbl2020
I whole heartedly feel if Nebraska were in the SEC we would of been hosting and would of made the CWS. I agree the SEC is the premier league but this idea that they are hands above everyone else is laughable because baseball doesn't work that way. When half the teams from the same conference get to host each year it is never a shocker that they have the highest odds to win it all, which in turn repeats the next year.

RPI is supposed to be fair, but when one team in Arkansas never leaves the South it isn't easy to compare teams. Don't get me wrong, Arkansas was a great team, but by no means were they any better than Nebraska and it showed when they finally played teams outside of the SEC and Big 12 (who was entirely overrated as a conference).

This was the year bias really came into play due to the shortened schedules and how pointless RPI really was. We need more interconference games later in the year to really find the best teams. By no means will an early season tourney in March tell you how good a team is playing in May.

ADVERTISEMENT