ADVERTISEMENT

Maybe a vote this weekend

Colorado just decided to reverse its prior decision and proceed with fall High School sports including football. Hope the B1G does the same
No, the governor said he would support fall sports if the board that oversees high school sports voted to move forward - but they didn't.

i never said go independent. The BIG 10 could still be involved with each BIG 10 team that chooses to play.

Lets say the Huskers, OSU, Iowa, PSU, Indiana, Purdue and Wisconsin all decide to play. Each team could play each other and then maybe add a non conference game or two on top of that (Or not). That would allow money for the conference and each team that plays. There are ways to do it, they just have to try. Instead they are making it harder then it needs to be.

Simply put, let each team make their own decisions. Once you have the numbers, who’s playing and who’s not, then roll from there.

Hard is a relative term.

If there is broad agreement by the Unis that November is doable....then there's nothing hard about simply playing then and keeping existing agreements in place. It would be harder to get a coalition of the willing going now, reworking contracts and payouts and etc, and trying to do this on the fly in the span of a week or two so that an early season gets off the ground.

And that's assuming the unwilling are willing to essentially forfeit the promise of a November schedule. Which they may not be. This is an "everybody in or out" league, historically.

Reactions: nu2u
In addition to the whole willing/unwilling team thing, at some point, basically now, natural selection takes over. Schools like Nebraska and Iowa that may have fled to the B12 have no option to do so now. The B12 will have started their season before we even get a re-vote.

The SEC has already planned on playing a 10 game conf schedule, I haven't looked at all the dates, but I would suspect while they could float a couple of teams coming over, they probably can't float half the B1G into their conference.

It seems to me that our only chance at a "real" season is for the B1G to reverse course. Anything else will be a patchwork of schedules and tv payouts that probably will be an exhibition season rather than having real playoff implications.

The relatively amount of risk has been decreased as well. While schools may have thought Spring football was a ghost, they seem confident November football is not. Uni's are probably going to be alot less froggy about upending norms and contracts, when the argument is about 6-8 weeks delay instead of 4-5 months followed by never.

I think to many of us are making it a lot harder then it needs to be. Turning an ant hill into a mountain. It’s not that hard to set up the BIG 10 teams that chose to play, to play each other. And the longer they sit here with their thumps up their collective asses, the longer it will take to get anything going. That’s for sure. Stop stalling, let the teams/schools vote in or out and then move forward with the ones the vote to play.👍🏼👍

Reactions: c3o
Colorado just decided to reverse its prior decision and proceed with fall High School sports including football. Hope the B1G does the same
They actually did not:

Does anyone really know what the by-laws say about all of this? That is really the first place to start. It seems unlikely they are going to let a handful of schools go "out on their own" and act pretty much like free agents. Although it sounds good and I can see parts of how it would work, in reality is it feasible given the league.

Penn st just shut down bc of 44 positive tests. There will be no football . I don’t agree with it but university presidents are spineless pencil pushers and will vote no. Our presidents ( carter and bounds ) are exceptions

Reactions: bshirt73 and WHCSC
They need to stop the stupid vote bull crap and just let each team opt to play or opt out. End of story.
I get the whole unity thing the B1G is trying to portray. In doing so they are looking like idiots. The conf needs to let the teams who want to play, play. Release any and all teams from media rights for the year and let them be an independent. Those who don't play get no cut of any tv revenue. The rest is split between the teams who played with a certain percentage going to the B1G to do with as they see fit. Some money is better than no money.

No Fall Football in Colorado:

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
I think to many of us are making it a lot harder then it needs to be. Turning an ant hill into a mountain. It’s not that hard to set up the BIG 10 teams that chose to play, to play each other. And the longer they sit here with their thumps up their collective asses, the longer it will take to get anything going. That’s for sure. Stop stalling, let the teams/schools vote in or out and then move forward with the ones the vote to play.👍🏼👍
You're having a hard time coming to grips with the 9 vote threshold as required by the league's by-law. They aren't stalling, they don't have the votes.

If players can opt in or opt out, why not let the schools opt in or opt out? What purpose does an all in or all out serve? I don't get it.

Seen where Wisconsin shouting down for 2 weeks this isn’t a promising sign for starting up football in October..

Motion to dismiss the players' case to be heard two weeks from now. B1G won't necessarily produce documents this weekend, and will just run the clock out.

Reactions: dinglefritz
the original comment was the vote was overwhelming in favor of postponing

now if people want to spend a bunch of money to clarify what overwhelming entails - and whether it was 11-3 or 12-2 - I'm sure the lawyers are more than happy to take their money
Dont be obtuse, you know they are trying to prove the vote (if one) did not follow proper, and legal bi-laws and procedures.

Reactions: huskerssalts
Dont be obtuse, you know they are trying to prove the vote (if one) did not follow proper, and legal bi-laws and procedures.

The judge has already ruled that nothing pertaining to the deliberations leading up to the vote have to be produced - no meeting minutes or medical info used to inform the committee

just the vote result - not even who voted how and the preexisting bylaws

Penn st just shut down bc of 44 positive tests. There will be no football . I don’t agree with it but university presidents are spineless pencil pushers and will vote no. Our presidents ( carter and bounds ) are exceptions
Actually it proves the point that shutting down games does NOT actually prevent Covid-19 from spreading since they haven't played any games so far. IMO the virus is spread much more through social activities that happen outside of football. And those teams that previously had outbreaks should now be less prone to future outbreaks since more players have the anti-bodies.

The experts also are revising their opinion on the time period in which infected people are most contagious. Surprisingly some experts now have that period down to 5 days instead of the 14 days of previous quarantine periods.

Yacht has a friend that gives him good info BUT he only gets that info from one person....there are 14 people in play here and shit changes with every email, text and phone call...

ADVERTISEMENT