ADVERTISEMENT

May be relocating to Lincoln - Need advice

Mike402

All-American
May 9, 2007
Lincoln, NE
Getting out of the Army in a couple months and may have a job opportunity in Lincoln. I know Omaha like the back of my hand, but do not know much about Lincoln. Where are the best areas to look for a house? Best elementary schools? Areas to avoid completely, if any? Thanks in advance.

Depends where you are working and your price range. Do you know either?

If I was to land the job, it would be on the northeast side of Lincoln. Commute is not an issue for me so I'll live wherever. House price range will top out at around $225K.

I guess it really depends on preference. For that price range you can get a house pretty much in any part of town you want. The Northeast and Northwest parts of town are newer and in that price range. The south side of town ~ Pine Lake and South are also newer and many houses in that price range and up. I prefer South, but that's because I've always lived on the South side.

If on the NE or E side, I would look at anything in the 84th area, both north and south. $225k can get you a pretty nice house on that side of town. The further south you go, you can start looking on the 70th street area.

It's not easy getting across town in any direction in Lincoln. Light timing and lack of major roads really hinders traffic. 84th street and south 70th street are probably the easiest north/south roads in Lincoln. 84th north is a straight shot to the interstate (major bonus).

I don't know about all of the schools but the most of the ones on the south/east are pretty good. Those would include Morely, Maxey, Kloefkorn (sp?) also, on the NE side I've heard good things about Kahoe. I prefer the SE side but nice homes and good schools can probably be found many places. Southwest side of town has a lot of newer neighborhoods with good schools as well.

I love the small town feel of Ashland/Waverly area. It's a 7 to 15 minutes max to the North east part if Lincoln.

Unless you want to add an hour of sitting in your car every day live on the same side of town that you work on. Waverly is a good option on the North side and you avoid a lot of the stupidity that the city of Lincoln implements. Also the Fallbrook development is nice and growing. There is a huge new YMCA and Super Saver grocery store right there, quick access to downtown and the haymarket.

I'd avoid the center of the city. Holdrege to A, 8th - 60th is the general area to avoid. Just drive down 27th and you'll see.

There are a couple of places for sale in my neighborhood if you want to push your price some. However, its b/w 56th and 48th and A and Randolph - in the area suhanami suggests you avoid. I agree with him on one count, if your live within the city core you avoid O street and 27th street at all costs...just like anyone else. However, I find the central location great to get to any quadrant in 10-15 minutes.
Originally posted by suhnami:
Unless you want to add an hour of sitting in your car every day live on the same side of town that you work on. Waverly is a good option on the North side and you avoid a lot of the stupidity that the city of Lincoln implements. Also the Fallbrook development is nice and growing. There is a huge new YMCA and Super Saver grocery store right there, quick access to downtown and the haymarket.

I'd avoid the center of the city. Holdrege to A, 8th - 60th is the general area to avoid. Just drive down 27th and you'll see.

Originally posted by suhnami:

Quite possibly the dumbest post of the day. Maybe week.

Agreed.

Ttown around 27th and t vine area? duh. Avoid.

Alphabet town south of the capitol? Duh avoid.

MUCH of the rest of the area? Nice. Apparently even the piedmont area is to be avoided?

Ridiculous

I live off of 84th South of Pioneers. Work downtown. I go early and it takes me 14 minutes to get downtown to my office. Drive home on Normal a few minutes more. It's a piece of cake compared to other cities. Better schools are east and southeast in my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT