ADVERTISEMENT

Maurice Washington

I think too many people are making a big deal about being "in shape". Like it was said above. He's in shape, just not in Duval shape. He has 3 weeks to get into decent game shape and as we have seen with Frost's offense the last couple years, they aren't going to lean on any back to get them 30 carries a game. Washington may get 5-8 carries per game and won't need to be in superior shape for that. Where he will benefit is putting on muscle in the off season program.
It will take him about a week to get in good enough shape for him to play. The rest will be adding good weight over time. Athletes like him don't take long. The worst thing they could do is bust his butt trying to "whip him in to shape".

It will take him about a week to get in good enough shape for him to play. The rest will be adding good weight over time. Athletes like him don't take long. The worst thing they could do is bust his butt trying to "whip him in to shape".

Agree, and they won't "break him down" during the season. Guys are in maintenance mode right now. You don't build muscle during the fall/season, only "maintain" what ya got. GBR

Well then, the heck with winter and summer conditioning. All you need is a week to ready to play but don't bust his butt during that week. Right?

We have had plenty of 4 star RBs we all hoped would pan out and even a 5 star or two. But M Washington has that running style to him, you can just see he’s a different talent then most the high 4 star and even 5 star RBs have. If not for his grade I really believe he’s been a high 4 star if not a 5 star.
He Reminds me of Tierre Green, I was angry when Nebraska changed him to defense.
Pump the brakes guys.

Who was the 4 or 5 star Juco RB who broke his leg (femur/roids I remember) and also looked unstoppable in practice??? Cally days if I recall.

Kid will be special. I just hope he doesn't peak this year mid-season without the same conditioning the other RBs have had at Nebraska. Would hate to see that. Needs limited touches and Duval's guidance for 2018. Can't wear him out as the youngster he is, and the potential he WILL BE. GBR
Kenny Wilson. He actually would have been pretty damned good.

Well then, the heck with winter and summer conditioning. All you need is a week to ready to play but don't bust his butt during that week. Right?
He's a skill guy who isn't going to have to play 80 plays. Heck I'll be surprised if he starts out playing more than 10-15 snaps. He can do that in his sleep. Maybe he'll run some kicks back but it isn't like he's going to have to carry the load. We've got a month to get him ready. LOTS of time.

Stop. Dingle was pointing out the fact the kid isn't going to be broken down during the season, and will be in playing condition come Akron.

You can't squat now and make it worthwhile my friends.

Now, if you redshirt, you get another couple cycles under the belt. GBR

Reactions: saluno22
He Reminds me of Tierre Green, I was angry when Nebraska changed him to defense.

Kenny Wilson. He actually would have been pretty damned good.

Ha, Tierre Green reference. Good one.

Nope, Washington is a game changer. Long-strider with plenty of top end speed. I'd redshirt if I were him, but that's just me, looking for a Heisman Trophy my redshirt freshman year :)

Stop. Dingle was pointing out the fact the kid isn't going to be broken down during the season, and will be in playing condition come Akron.

You can't squat now and make it worthwhile my friends.

Now, if you redshirt, you get another couple cycles under the belt. GBR

No. He said a week. Think of the ramifications of this for all athletes.

Considering his family history situation, I wouldn’t be surprised if he just was not getting the proper amount of food to be able to maintain the higher body weight of an athlete. Just speculating, but I’m sure he also was not spending as much time in the weight room while taking care of test prep and classroom work.

college-football-southern-methodist-university-eric-dickerson-in-vs-picture-id81475911

Smaller version of this. Shiftier. Special.

Reactions: Hedley Lemar
college-football-southern-methodist-university-eric-dickerson-in-vs-picture-id81475911

Smaller version of this. Shiftier. Special.
Eric was only 5'11" Mo is 6'1. Come to think of it, Mo has shown flashes of AP as well. Now Imagine Mo 220-225 and built the Duvall way without losing a step of speed, quickness or shiftyness and catches the rock really well which he already does!

Last edited:
I'm very excited about Washington, more than any other recruit that Nebraska got in the last class. I remember watching that all star game and thinking "Man, that's the type of player Nebraska hasn't had in a long time". He just looks electric and I can't wait to see him develop.

I am cautiously optimistic about him and the rest of the running backs being a strength of the team this year. It looks like a great mix of new and returning talent that can hopefully take the pressure off the new QB. Looking forward to the season starting.

Reactions: Husker-NJ
Im pretty sure any back that went through spring and stuck to the summer training will have a leg up on washington

Good to see we're not overhyping him. He hasn't played a down of D1 football, and he's being compared to Dickerson and Faulk. Ugh.. :eek:
Settle down, it's a comparison of styles. Just like most bad quarterbacks aren't as bad as Bauserman.

EDIT: People used to call Cody Glenn "Baby Earl". While he didn't have a career like Earl Campbell, that was definitely his running style.

They're not the one standing out to all the coaches and players

I thinks sometime we take these comments to mean more than they do. You don’t always hear the question asked that prompted the response.

Q: How does Maurice Washington look?

A: Maurice is a baller, he has great vision and balance.

The headline reads - Washington is getting the attention of the coaches.

Well, maybe, but the reporter asked specifically about Washington.

Eric was only 5'11" Mo is 6'1. Come to think of it, Mo has shown flashes of AP as well. Now Imagine Mo 220-225 and built the Duvall way without losing a step of speed, quickness or shiftyness and catches the rock really well which he already does!

Eric Dickerson was 6'3" 220 lbs

Reactions: bigredhunter
Don't be a dumbass. This kid just got to campus and his situation is different from the other athletes. You don't throw him in to an intense workout situation and break him down at this point. You bring him along slowly and other players will understand what he's going to go through. I'm not saying don't work him. I'm saying you don't throw him in to the same kind of stuff the other guys got last spring before spring ball. He'll be fine but he's going to be swimming in it mentally and physically. I could be wrong, but I think even the other true freshmen have had an opportunity to do some summer conditioning. Duval will do what's right for the kid.

Im pretty sure any back that went through spring and stuck to the summer training will have a leg up on washington
I've heard the talk about over hype and all of that, but this situation is different. This isn't recruiting hype based on a star rating, off season message board talk, or someone's name (Thunder Collins), this is hype from on the field performance by someone who just got there. And the praise is coming from players and staff who barely even know the guy. I don't know if he'll pan out or not. He has to learn the playbook and avoid injury. But mediocre backs (and we've had a few of them) can have all of the "springs and summer trainings" they want and they won't touch elite talent-- which Washington is rumored to have.

As I understand it, he concentrated on his school work to qualify. he wasn’t in the gym and lost some weight due to this. I believe that is what is meant by him being out of shape.
Correct. In the photos he’s obviously still well put together and I have no idea about his conditioning but at 170LBS he’s definitely going to have to tack on some pounds to take the beating come November. With that said, you probably don’t redshirt a talent like that even if it means he’s just getting 5-10 touches a game.

Reactions: headcard
I thinks sometime we take these comments to mean more than they do. You don’t always hear the question asked that prompted the response.

Q: How does Maurice Washington look?

A: Maurice is a baller, he has great vision and balance.

The headline reads - Washington is getting the attention of the coaches.

Well, maybe, but the reporter asked specifically about Washington.
To be fair...guys like Honas and Mario were simply asked who is standing out this far from the young guys. With that said, yesterday was just the first day in pads. I think Washington is going to be a stud but I’m sure he still has a ways to go. Jordan Stevenson burned me so I should hope Washington keeps his head on straight.

Don't be a dumbass. This kid just got to campus and his situation is different from the other athletes. You don't throw him in to an intense workout situation and break him down at this point. You bring him along slowly and other players will understand what he's going to go through. I'm not saying don't work him. I'm saying you don't throw him in to the same kind of stuff the other guys got last spring before spring ball. He'll be fine but he's going to be swimming in it mentally and physically. I could be wrong, but I think even the other true freshmen have had an opportunity to do some summer conditioning. Duval will do what's right for the kid.

Thanks for the name calling, tells me a lot.

First, I have coached HS and helped with summer conditioning so I have a clue.

Second, you said give him a week and he would fine. Now it’s bring him along slowly. You don’t get in shape in a week even if you are a kicker. It is one thing to be putting on moves in light pads and quite another when full contact starts and your 170 lb body is getting hammered.

Of course the coaches will be careful with him. Every coach will tell you the season is made in the off-season and that’s not just football. I would say a good number of the freshmen are on campus as soon as they graduate HS to take part in summer conditioning, it is part of the team aspect and of course to begin the body changes.

His situation is only different in that he just arrived and is not in football condition which is to be expected. It simply won’t happen in a week as you stated. Keep calling me names, doesn’t affect my character, only yours.

I'm not buying into the hype yet. We've had too many big recruits that ended up being overrated. But just because he missed summer conditioning doesn't mean he won't be ready to contribute this year.

Some players just have great natural instincts on the field, and being away from the weight room for a little while isn't going to change that. I would not worry about red-shirting any players in this day and age, because of the grad transfer rule and NFL early entry rule. Play the best players regardless of age.

Last edited:
If he was working hard before he stopped to focus on academics, getting him back to his prior shape won't take that long. Cardiovasular endurance can be built pretty fast with the right type of training. My guess is he'll get 7-10 days of fall camp under his belt and he'll feel pretty good from a cardiovasular standpoint. It'll continue to improve, but a high caliber athlete at his age can make up A TON of ground in that first week to ten days. It's not like he's been sitting on his couch eating cheetos all summer.

If he's lost some size, that will come back too, albiet slower. Just from that fact that he's at 170 due to atrophy (if the speculation about his activity is correct), that muscle will start to grow again to its normal size with proper nutrition and stress. He won't make gains this season if he's focused on playing, but he can get back to level pretty quickly.

NO YOU GUYS DON'T GET IT. HE WILL DIE IF HE GETS 5 TOUCHES IN THE FIRST GAME THAT DOESN'T HAPPEN UNTIL SEPTEMBER 1ST. HE ONLY WEIGHS 170 POUNDS HE'S TOO SMALL HE'LL DIE RIGHT THERE ON THE FIELD!!!!111

THERE IS NO POSSIBLE WAY HE COULD BE ABLE TO GO IN FOR A FEW SNAPS THEN COME OUT AND STAND AROUND FOR MANY MINUTES ON A SATURDAY FOUR WEEKS FROM NOW.

He's obviously "not bad now" at his self-declared current wieight of 170 lbs. turning heads in practice. He played at 190 lbs. last year in high school. He has the frame, I think, to eventually play at about 200 lbs. or a little higher next spring after a full winter conditioning cycle with Duval.

He'll see action this Fall in at least 4 games due to the new redshirt rule. BUT I really doubt he takes a redshirt so I expect to see him more than that. RB duties though will be spread around among 3 or 4 backs according to Held and Walters.

NO YOU GUYS DON'T GET IT. HE WILL DIE IF HE GETS 5 TOUCHES IN THE FIRST GAME THAT DOESN'T HAPPEN UNTIL SEPTEMBER 1ST. HE ONLY WEIGHS 170 POUNDS HE'S TOO SMALL HE'LL DIE RIGHT THERE ON THE FIELD!!!!111

THERE IS NO POSSIBLE WAY HE COULD BE ABLE TO GO IN FOR A FEW SNAPS THEN COME OUT AND STAND AROUND FOR MANY MINUTES ON A SATURDAY FOUR WEEKS FROM NOW.
Important question for research purposes: did you hold shift the entire time, or were you lazy and clicked the Caps Lock?

Or the faulty tattoo
We had a good stable of backs in 2006. Marlon Lucky, Cody Glenn, Brandon Jackson, and Kenny Wilson. B-Jax probaby the best, Glenn had some good games but got into the dog house and switched to defense then kicked off the team, Lucky had good stats but never quite lived up to the hype. The offense that year was humming when Jackson got the bulk of the carries, with Glenn as the hammer and Lucky catching passes. Kenny Wilson had a ton of carries against USC then disappeared I think. When exactly was the TV incident?

We had a good stable of backs in 2006. Marlon Lucky, Cody Glenn, Brandon Jackson, and Kenny Wilson. B-Jax probaby the best, Glenn had some good games but got into the dog house and switched to defense then kicked off the team, Lucky had good stats but never quite lived up to the hype. The offense that year was humming when Jackson got the bulk of the carries, with Glenn as the hammer and Lucky catching passes. Kenny Wilson hahd a ton of carries against USC then disappeared I think. When exactly was the TV incident?
iirc helping to move a tv and broke his femur. If only flat panels were around then.

ADVERTISEMENT