ADVERTISEMENT

Maurice Washington

We have had plenty of 4 star RBs we all hoped would pan out and even a 5 star or two. But M Washington has that running style to him, you can just see he’s a different talent then most the high 4 star and even 5 star RBs have. If not for his grade I really believe he’s been a high 4 star if not a 5 star.

giphy.gif

We have had plenty of 4 star RBs we all hoped would pan out and even a 5 star or two. But M Washington has that running style to him, you can just see he’s a different talent then most the high 4 star and even 5 star RBs have. If not for his grade I really believe he’s been a high 4 star if not a 5 star.

So help me out here. His grades, or lack thereof, make a difference in his star ranking? You do know that grades are an educational record and he would have to agree to release them? When and how do the rating services factor in grades? I have also seen that people say they factor in how many offers and from whom but that doesn't make sense as well. You would be continually upgrading stars as offers are made and how much is each particular University worth on the scale? Then there is the one about kids from Nebraska not being as highly rated because of the state. Does anyone really know how ratings are established? The internet wisdom is interesting.

Last edited:
People want to act all cool and not get excited about a guy like this. They can say I told you so and protect their feelings if he doesnt live up to the hype.

But DaMN!! Kid looks good. Looked amazing in the Under Armor game against other studs.

I think its just been too long since Nebraska's gotten a guy like this with lLEGIT offers from Clemson, LSU, USC, Ohio St etc, that we forget its ok to be excited about the prospects of players like Maurice.

I've been watching XC and track kids for nearly a decade now and every now and again you see a kid who seems to run hard with little effort. Just a natural stride. Some kids just have it.

Love the reaction of the guy in the white hat/sunglasses/official's shirt.
Lol nice find.

Washington is just different man. I don't know how to describe it exactly, it's something about how sudden his moves are. He waits til the last tenth of a second and then he's just not where you thought he was gonna be to make a tackle. His film is so odd to watch, it's like he's experiencing time at a different pace than the defenders or something. Just makes these sudden, violent cuts that look so easy and keeps so much downfield momentum while he does it.

The way he comes out of that spin and puts the hand down to keep his balance and keep going, that's freaky stuff. You can try to teach that but you can't really. You either have that or you don't.

Last edited:
Lol nice find.

Washington is just different man. I don't know how to describe it exactly, it's something about how sudden his moves are. He waits til the last tenth of a second and then he's just not where you thought he was gonna be to make a tackle. His film is so odd to watch, it's like he's experiencing time at a different pace than the defenders or something. Just makes these sudden, violent cuts that look so easy and keeps so much downfield momentum while he does it.

The way he comes out of that spin and puts the hand down to keep his balance and keep going, that's freaky stuff. You can try to teach that but you can't really. You either have that or you don't.

The next Reggie Bush?

So help me out here. His grades, or lack thereof, make a difference in his star ranking? You do know that grades are an educational record and he would have to agree to release them? When and how do the rating services factor in grades? I have also seen that people say they factor in how many offers and from whom but that doesn't make sense as well. You would be continually upgrading stars as offers are made and how much is each particular University worth on the scale? Then there is the one about kids from Nebraska not being as highly rated because of the state. Does anyone really know how ratings are established? The internet wisdom is interesting.
I can't remember who they were interviewing but it was a Rivals guy on the radio and they were talking about Dez Bryant. The Rivals guy said everyone agreed he was a 5 star, but because it was unlikely he would qualify, they kept him at a 4 star. He said the reason was something along the lines because there are so few 5 stars that it makes the recruiting service look bad to rate a bunch of 5 stars just to have a bunch of 5 stars just end up not even playing.
So according to that, grades do come into affect.

Also, I think Maurice specifically called out Rivals before or after the All American game last year for not rating him higher, so while ESPN and 247 boosted his rating after the game, Rivals didn't.

The next Reggie Bush?
More efficient than I remember Bush being on his HS film. Bush was one of those guys who was out there toying with people. Just obviously way faster and more gifted than everyone so he bounced a lot of plays outside and reversed his field and kinda got away things he shouldn't have.

Washington really stays north-south with his movement.

Last edited:
Only weighs 170. Spent most of his Spring/Summer getting his grades/test scores in order. Am hoping Duval/Ellis can get him to a good 185 by later in the season to assist with the punishment he will take in the BIG10.

You say that like he's gonna get 25 touches a game as a true freshman. He'll be fine.
What I was thinking. He won't be the go-to running back pulling in heavy carries. He's going to see the field and get a good number of snaps, but he's not a feature back and won't be treated as such.

Wish he came in to fall camp in better shape but he looks to be a difference maker. Hopefully he takes full advantage of the first 4 games and avoids the need to RS.

Lol nice find.

Commentators often talk about, after a guy has been in the NFL or contributing on a college team for a few years, that the game is finally "slowing down" for them. For some guys, however, the game is already slowed down for them and they are simply on another level. With Washington, it seems like he can really anticipate how a defender is going to move and then exploit it. It helps when you are so fast that guys take bad angles and are trying to catch up.

Reactions: TheBeav815
As I understand it, he concentrated on his school work to qualify. Ne wasn’t in the gym and lost some weight due to this. I believe that is what is meant by him being out of shape.
I think there is a difference between actually being "in shape", which Washington probably is, and being "in shape" after a full summer of working out with Zach Duval and the strength staff

People want to act all cool and not get excited about a guy like this. They can say I told you so and protect their feelings if he doesnt live up to the hype.

But DaMN!! Kid looks good. Looked amazing in the Under Armor game against other studs.

I think its just been too long since Nebraska's gotten a guy like this with lLEGIT offers from Clemson, LSU, USC, Ohio St etc, that we forget its ok to be excited about the prospects of players like Maurice.

With all of the starts and stops of getting here, maybe, just maybe some people want to go the wait and see route while having reserved optimism. The cows ain't in the barn yet.

I think too many people are making a big deal about being "in shape". Like it was said above. He's in shape, just not in Duval shape. He has 3 weeks to get into decent game shape and as we have seen with Frost's offense the last couple years, they aren't going to lean on any back to get them 30 carries a game. Washington may get 5-8 carries per game and won't need to be in superior shape for that. Where he will benefit is putting on muscle in the off season program.

All I know is that even in HS, when a kid came in and wasn't in shape, he stood out like a sore thumb. He couldn't take hits, got hurt more, couldn't get out the way and just plain got tired quickly. These guys coming in running the quarters and lifting like crazy men are going to dominate someone who has not done those things and is a freshman to boot. I can't even imagine the difference on the college level. That being said, everyone has known that person who was naturally gifted and could just walk off the bus and get the job done. A little different at this level, no pads, not a full game and no bullets flying. We will see. Should be fun.

Reactions: Husker-NJ

Pump the brakes guys.

Who was the 4 or 5 star Juco RB who broke his leg (femur/roids I remember) and also looked unstoppable in practice??? Cally days if I recall.

Kid will be special. I just hope he doesn't peak this year mid-season without the same conditioning the other RBs have had at Nebraska. Would hate to see that. Needs limited touches and Duval's guidance for 2018. Can't wear him out as the youngster he is, and the potential he WILL BE. GBR

I think too many people are making a big deal about being "in shape". Like it was said above. He's in shape, just not in Duval shape. He has 3 weeks to get into decent game shape and as we have seen with Frost's offense the last couple years, they aren't going to lean on any back to get them 30 carries a game. Washington may get 5-8 carries per game and won't need to be in superior shape for that. Where he will benefit is putting on muscle in the off season program.

Bingo Kaz. Great post.

Who was the 4 or 5 star Juco RB who broke his leg (femur/roids I remember) and also looked unstoppable in practice??? Cally days if I recall.
Kenny Wilson.

I remember after the 2006 game at USC, the local papers praised him for his large number of carries... that he did little with. It was embarrassing.

Reactions: SoFL Husker
Kenny Wilson.

I remember after the 2006 game at USC, the local papers praised him for his large number of carries... that he did little with. It was embarrassing.

I was at that game. He had no chance. USC was loaded.

USC fans were a disgrace. Arrogant idiots. I tried to talk to them about formations and schemes, they just stared into the abyss.

LA football fans suck. Being a single male in LA on the other hand...awesome. GBR

Reactions: maplesyrup95
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT