ADVERTISEMENT

Maurice Washington--hope this tweet means good news

Not in this thread or even recently. We have had our differences in the past and he, specifically him, has stated that I want Frost to fail and am waiting to jump on his first flub. Then he goes here. There is no doubt in my mind who he was talking about. At least Bshirt73 uses my name.

What? Tuco I've never said you wanted SF to fail......that's simply not true.

I'm still skeptical he will ever play a down for us, based on how often he switched high schools. I will be pleasantly surprised if he is still here in Fall 2019 and academically eligible.

Wow, boy you couldn’t have been more wrong if you tried too. He’s fully qualified NOW and can play THIS year. Yep, eat crow on that guess ;)

Just looked back as a refresher on Maurice Washington. Rivals had him as a 3 star?? USC, Clemson, Georgia, LSU, OSU, Washington, Tennessee to name a few who offered even with grade concerns. LOL, C'mon Rivals, about as lame as having Henrich as a 3 star with his offer list. Get it together guys. Geez.

Agreed there. Rivals was the ONLY recruiting site that had him as a 5.7 3 star. Everyone else had him as a high 4 star.

Reactions: HBK4life
Now Maurice Washington will be a prime example of what Duval and Ellis can do together. Said he's presently down to 170 lbs. from his normal 190 lbs. But regardless he's planning to be on the first plane out of California to Lincoln per the OWH. Coach Held told him now it's time to ball.

Now Maurice Washington will be a prime example of what Duval and Ellis can do together. Said he's presently down to 170 lbs. from his normal 190 lbs. But regardless he's planning to be on the first plane out of California to Lincoln per the OWH. Coach Held told him now it's time to ball.

He's going to be far behind the other backs in terms of strength and conditioning. Hopefully he won't be another Jordan Stevenson.

I think it sort of depends on the kid. If he is physically ready, they might give him some reps this year, but it might be better for him to redshirt and get acclimated to a new place first. Not sure I'd want to saddle him with all sorts of pressure right off the bat. Really stoked that he made it. He could be a very special player.

Reactions: scarletred
I wonder how much he'll practice vs. working out to get into game shape. I imagine we'll see him on the field at some point this year, given the new redshirt rule, but I think it might not be until late October or early November.

I wonder how much he'll practice vs. working out to get into game shape. I imagine we'll see him on the field at some point this year, given the new redshirt rule, but I think it might not be until late October or early November.
He's a true freshman, it's not like he needs to be in shape to get 30 touches a game. It will have more to do with him knowing the playbook and being lined up correctly and nailing his assignment than his endurance.

Just curious about this new 4 games and keep your redshirt in tact rule, if you're a head coach, do you play the guy early against non-conference to see if he has the chops, or do you hold onto him for later in case your other guys get hurt or aren't cutting it?

I know the Alabama QB, Tua Tagovailoa played in eight games last year, but hypothetically, let's say this rule was in place and Saban had only played him in a couple (since the other games he played were just mop-up duty). He could be a returning national champion QB as a freshman next year.

Anyone know if post-season games count in the four games? Anyway, back to my question, do you play these guys early then sit them or do you hold off and see if you need them late (or just play them late anyway since they will still get their redshirt)?
Probably both, it depends on the player. In Washington's case, I think you play him early and see if he can be a special player for us right away. If he's down the depth chart a ways then you red shirt him the rest of the year.

For guys who need some development, like a lot of linemen who need to get bigger and stronger or a guy who has switched positions from high school, you probably wait to use him until the end of the year.

I would be shocked if he redshirts, personally.
Yeah, hopefully he's ready to go within a short period of time. Would like to see him in before conference play starts to see what he's got. If he's better than the rest, feed him all year long.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT