ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Vrzal is da Man!

I respect your posts, but is he wrong? I love that old school mindset.

We aren't struggling because of toughness and he also needs to realize the 90's aren't happening again. This loss was a horrible loss, but even being "tough" wasn't going to win us that game. We have a myriad of issues, but even with all of that we have lost a lot of close games and we probably lost those more due to discipline. I'm down on our team, but not quite to the level of a lot of others.

A prime example is NW is a very sound football team. I think we did more against them than any team has this year and if Adrian was anywhere close to making throws we would have beat them somewhat soundly. At some point we just need to find someone who can make things happen. We had receivers wide open a lot against Illinois and frankly all season, but we are unable to get the ball to them. Also, I don't care if we go down in flames, but lets go fast. When we go tempo, we tend to look decent and I cringe when we slow it down. Also, more jet sweeps and getting the ball to playmakers in space.

We aren't struggling because of toughness and he also needs to realize the 90's aren't happening again. This loss was a horrible loss, but even being "tough" wasn't going to win us that game. We have a myriad of issues, but even with all of that we have lost a lot of close games and we probably lost those more due to discipline. I'm down on our team, but not quite to the level of a lot of others.

A prime example is NW is a very sound football team. I think we did more against them than any team has this year and if Adrian was anywhere close to making throws we would have beat them somewhat soundly. At some point we just need to find someone who can make things happen. We had receivers wide open a lot against Illinois and frankly all season, but we are unable to get the ball to them. Also, I don't care if we go down in flames, but lets go fast. When we go tempo, we tend to look decent and I cringe when we slow it down. Also, more jet sweeps and getting the ball to playmakers in space.
Really can't argue with any of that honestly.

It’s not being tough physically that is problem but the teams are mentally weak. Have been for years.

Agree that the 90’s aren’t happening anytime soon but as you point out why are they not playing with discipline at the level of teams we should be matching talent level wise (Northwestern?? Wisconsin??). Another problem for years...very poor fundamentals at the D1 level.

It’s not being tough physically that is problem but the teams are mentally weak. Have been for years.

Agree that the 90’s aren’t happening anytime soon but as you point out why are they not playing with discipline at the level of teams we should be matching talent level wise (Northwestern?? Wisconsin??). Another problem for years...very poor fundamentals at the D1 level.
Agree. More referring to when you listen to Verzal. Everything he always says is about physical toughness and punching people in the mouth.

it got old real quick when you have guys on there who couldn't coach pop warner telling you how bad Frost sucks. Scott's been successful in everything he has done. This is his first real adversity. We will soon see how he handles it.

it got old real quick when you have guys on there who couldn't coach pop warner telling you how bad Frost sucks. Scott's been successful in everything he has done. This is his first real adversity. We will soon see how he handles it.
Looking at his coaching record, looks to me that he's had more years with adversity than just one year.

Coaching Record

YearSchoolGWLTPctSRSSOSAP PreAP HighAP PostBowlNotes
2016UCF13670.462-0.01-1.86AutoNation Cure Bowl-L
2017UCF1313001.00016.90-0.8066Peach Bowl-W
2018Nebraska12480.3333.484.82
2019Nebraska12570.4172.674.002424
2020Nebraska4130.250-8.062.69
5 YrsOverall5429250.5372.991.771-1
2 YrsUCF261970.7318.44-1.331-1
3 YrsNebraska2810180.357-0.643.830-0

Head coach for 4 plus seasons. One year with a winning record.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
took a team that won 1 game the previous year to 6-7 then went undefeated. Sounds like you only focus on the negative. Anyone would call that a rousing success

Reactions: dinglefritz
took a team that won 1 game the previous year to 6-7 then went undefeated. Sounds like you only focus on the negative. Anyone would call that a rousing success
I look at the entire body of work. One season in five years with an above .500 record. I am not saying he should be fired, but outside of one season what has he really accomplished?

Reactions: CatColumbia
We're stuck with him. We just have to hope that he takes ownership of the situation, fully commits to restoring our identity, and perhaps most important given the downward spiral we seem to be in...dont' be afraid or too proud to ASK FOR HELP! There are tons of supporters both within and outside the program ready to contribute.

Last edited:
I look at the entire body of work. One season in five years with an above .500 record. I am not saying he should be fired, but outside of one season what has he really accomplished?
it's always easier for a person who has done it successfully to do it again than a person who has never done it.

Reactions: dinglefritz
ADVERTISEMENT