ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Ruhle rumor

Anegada1

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Dec 2, 2019
Omaha, Ne
Heard this from a friend, who's best friends brother is an assistant with Carolina Panthers. Completely unsubstantiated and third hand so take it for what it's worth. Matt Rhule is on the hot seat in Carolina and supposedly has commented that he if let go, he is done with the pros. He then said that he had great admiration for the Nebraska program's history. Could very well be BS but maybe.... He would be my top choice , so I hope there is something to it. Time will tell.

Nf6s5G9.gif

Heard this from a friend, who's best friends brother is an assistant with Carolina Panthers. Completely unsubstantiated and third hand so take it for what it's worth. Matt Rhule is on the hot seat in Carolina and supposedly has commented that he if let go, he is done with the pros. He then said that he had great admiration for the Nebraska program's history. Could very well be BS but maybe.... He would be my top choice , so I hope there is something to it. Time will tell.
So what? I bet every coach in the country has “great admiration for the Nebraska program’s history.” That doesn’t mean they would all want to coach here.

He wouldn't suck.

Let's hope this has more legs than the Ferris Bueller rumor or the cable guy at Bill Cowher's house in Lincoln.

So what? I bet every coach in the country has “great admiration for the Nebraska program’s history.” That doesn’t mean they would all want to coach here.
Fair enough.

I am desperate enough for updates on the coaching search, however, that I appreciate the post, whether it is bs or not. He would be a good hire.

I have it from reliable sources that Matt Rhule will be the next head football coach at Nebraska - take it to the bank. It's really starting to circulate along the East coast. Will be a solid pickup for Nebraska

I have it from reliable sources that Matt Rhule will be the next head football coach at Nebraska - take it to the bank. It's really starting to circulate along the East coast. Will be a solid pickup for Nebraska
No clue how serious but someone like him with big payoff to be fired. If his next job offsets what panthers owe him this could allow for reasonable price tag for vine but splurging on coordinators

It's a fair question. He went 2-10 his first season taking over a pretty empty cupboard but turned it on from there. Prior to his arrival, Temple had 3 winning seasons in 30 years. So he has demonstrated the ability to turn a program around imo. Add some experience at the pro level ( which I think is attractive to some recruits ) and I think he brings a fair amount to the table.

It's a fair question. He went 2-10 his first season taking over a pretty empty cupboard but turned it on from there. Prior to his arrival, Temple had 3 winning seasons in 30 years. So he has demonstrated the ability to turn a program around imo. Add some experience at the pro level ( which I think is attractive to some recruits ) and I think he brings a fair amount to the table.
Fair enough

Not to start an argument but why do you want a coach who was 28-23 overall at Temple, 47-43 at Baylor overall and 11-25 in the NFL. I think Nebraska fans deserves better and I just don't think we need another experiment with mediocre coach, jmo.
That isn’t my concern with it. He worked a miracle at Temple. I don’t care what is final record was there. Same applies to Baylor but maybe less so. My concern is he doesn’t have any experience as a coordinator or HC at a top-level P5 school. Can he handle the pressure and expectations that will come with this job?

Reactions: Anegada1
He wax there 3 years. His last season they only played 3 ranked teams and lost them all. However, those teams were OU twice and Georgia in the bowl game. All close.

Ooh. We like the saying "we're close"

FWIW, Rhule is in my top 3. I'd really like to see what he could do if you stayed at a program for a significant amount of time. He's jumped around a bunch.

FWIW, Rhule is in my top 3. I'd really like to see what he could do if you stayed at a program for a significant amount of time. He's jumped around a bunch.
And he would probably jump to Penn State if he was successful here and that job opened up.

Reactions: huntered
Not to start an argument but why do you want a coach who was 28-23 overall at Temple, 47-43 at Baylor overall and 11-25 in the NFL. I think Nebraska fans deserves better and I just don't think we need another experiment with mediocre coach, jmo.
Took over two bad situations and won the division in his 3rd year at both stops. Won the conference in his 4th year at Temple. Overall record doesn't tell the full story.

Lance Leipold was 37-33 at Buffalo and is 6-10 at KU, are we going to hold that against him?

Joe Dailey?

You have to chase the checks in the coaching profession to some degree. He got a nice offer to coach in the NFL so he took it. I don't hold that against him anymore than I do for Saban going to the NFL and failing there.

Biased for O’Brien since I live out in PSU country and I saw the miracle he worked holding that dumpster fire together. Still… he is not in my top five.
Bingo. Can you imagine recruiting to parents during the Sandusky era? What he was able to do with the recruiting penalties and just straight up bad karma of that place, was nothing short of a miracle.

Bingo. Can you imagine recruiting to parents during the Sandusky era? What he was able to do with the recruiting penalties and just straight up bad karma of that place, was nothing short of a miracle.
Just keeping the kids that were already there from taking advantage of the immediately eligible thing and transferring out was amazing. He brought that team closer than they were with all that crap swirling around.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Both Bill O'Brien and Matt Rhule are lower guys on my personal list. But a solid backup plan for me.

Your 2 points are undoubtedly true. He's on hot seat and doesn't have admiration for NU?? Losing seasons and still sell out stadium. That's true fans. Heck neighbor schools with winning seasons can't fill their stadiums let alone sell out

ADVERTISEMENT