ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Rhule - Thoughts?

In 2019 he beat two teams, both on the road, that ended the season ranked. Who cares if they weren’t ranked at the time.
I’m only seeing Texas qualify for the criteria you outlined.

who finished #25 and nearly lost to Kansas

and it matters because it details how well a coach can motivate players going into a big game. Being literally winless is not a good sign

Rhule with his tenure at Baylor for 3 years never beat a ranked opponent…

This is some what of a concern .

Kind of. He did beat a couple teams that ended up in the Top 25 and in 2019 they lost to a Top 10 OU team by 3 twice and lost to #5 Georgia in the Sugar Bowl by 12. The only ranked teams he played that year were ranked 6, 10, and 5. That Baylor team was good.

Kind of. He did beat a couple teams that ended up in the Top 25 and in 2019 they lost to a Top 10 OU team by 3 twice and lost to #5 Georgia in the Sugar Bowl by 12. The only ranked teams he played that year were ranked 6, 10, and 5. That Baylor team was good.
Think of how many years it took Tom to beat the only top team on his schedule…..

I really just don't think it's Rhule. For weeks now we've only heard he's not interested in current openings. Who wants him to come here if he doesn't want to unless an ungodly amount of money convinces him otherwise?

If the search is down mainly to him, Mickey, Patterson, and Monken like we're hearing, I think I'd actually like Monken with Mickey retained on his staff.

Call me crazy, but I like physical football. Even in a spread offense.

I really just don't think it's Rhule. For weeks now we've only heard he's not interested in current openings. Who wants him to come here if he doesn't want to unless an ungodly amount of money convinces him otherwise?

If the search is down mainly to him, Mickey, Patterson, and Monken like we're hearing, I think I'd actually like Monken with Mickey retained on his staff.

I wonder why Monken's name comes up for all these searches, but we rarely hear anything about Troy Calhoun. Calhoun was an OC in the NFL, and OC at Wake Forest. He has a varied background, where as Monken has always been a triple-option guy.

Reactions: BleedRed78

His buddies will need jobs in a few weeks. Rhule will be coaching again soon

I find it hard to believe that Trev choice is Patterson..

If it‘s Monken being hired then Trev was turned down by quite of few candidates..

Go with Mickey over Monken. If it is ****in Monken facepalm...
Monken would be a very underwhelming hire. He has no P5 head coaching experience, he runs an offense that won’t win big games and he has no record of recruiting big time players. Plus, he has a losing record so far this year. I would rather have Bill O’Brien if it’s not Joseph, and I’m not a big fan of O’Brien.

I wonder why Monken's name comes up for all these searches, but we rarely hear anything about Troy Calhoun. Calhoun was an OC in the NFL, and OC at Wake Forest. He has a varied background, where as Monken has always been a triple-option guy.
Great question and I agree. I assume Monken because of this whole "belief" in which I'm one foot in, one foot out on: bring the tile option back to Lincoln and we'll become relevant in wins again.

I feel it in my heart and bones. But not sure my head agrees with the idea...

He's going to need a D-Coordinator. I feel like he is Frost 2.2. Might be a shade better.
Def at least a shade or two better. He's who Frost went to to get ideas for the triple option orbit option stuff we saw from Frost last season or two...

Would def need a solid DC though to go with it...

Reactions: Truewooper
Def at least a shade or two better. He's who Frost went to to get ideas for the triple option orbit option stuff we saw from Frost last season or two...

Would def need a solid DC though to go with it...
Frost wasn't there that long, but sometimes you never know with these lower tier guys. If Frost would have stayed around at UCF he would have problem been a legend and won a lot of games. Lot's of talent in the area that he didn't have to do much travel and racking up wins against lower tier competition was pretty easy. I think Chadwell is a good coach, but until it worked in a big boy conference I'd be skeptical. Some of it translates and some of it doesn't, but it's a hell of a lot easier to win at that level than in the SEC, B1G etc.

Yeahhhh but I am not sure we should get too excited because I have heard nothing of Chadwell in the past several weeks.
As several media types have pointed out, Trev has closed the hatches a few weeks ago. Nobody is getting anything of substance. It could be somebody totally out of the blue but it makes me think a guy still coaching is going to be named after Black Friday. I don’t believe it will be Mickey unless he wins 3 more at least

Reactions: dand84
As several media types have pointed out, Trev has closed the hatches a few weeks ago. Nobody is getting anything of substance. It could be somebody totally out of the blue but it makes me think a guy still coaching is going to be named after Black Friday. I don’t believe it will be Mickey unless he wins 3 more at least
He'd def have to win one more to at least grant the ceremony of crowning him next HC.

Not sure there's another win if CT isn't a go, and that only nets us an outside chance at winning with this line...

Think of how many years it took Tom to beat the only top team on his schedule…..
7 years to beat OU.

**edited**. Of course, you realize during '72-'78 OU was 73-7. (.9125%)

So they weren't getting beat very damn often.

Last edited:
remember what trev said, he wants a grinder...that would be aranda at hc, mickey at oc, and houston dc....
anything else is probably rumor and misinformation...

Last edited:
Yeah I am hopeful have always been a Chadwell guy since 2020 his offense is sweet. So I do have my fingers crossed.

Reactions: BleedRed78
If the rumors are true... Thoughts? I'm curious how motivated he is. Buyout money, having to recruit, etc. I think he's a good coach, just question why you'd jump back in. I'd be ok with him (since anyone gives a shit).
He has a history of turning broken programs around. That doesn't guarantee he'll do it here. Frost had 1 successful season at UCF so Rhule's history of success is a bit more.

ADVERTISEMENT