ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Rhule - Thoughts?

leodisflowers

Assistant Head Coach
Feb 25, 2011
North Carolina
If the rumors are true... Thoughts? I'm curious how motivated he is. Buyout money, having to recruit, etc. I think he's a good coach, just question why you'd jump back in. I'd be ok with him (since anyone gives a shit).

If the rumors are true... Thoughts? I'm curious how motivated he is. Buyout money, having to recruit, etc. I think he's a good coach, just question why you'd jump back in. I'd be ok with him (since anyone gives a shit).
Well, he doesn't make my dong hard but I like him or than some of the other flaccid names that have been tossed around.

Not sure I am actually buying MR as our new HC.

Having said that, he's a coach and he will have set out most of this year, so I'm not surprised he would be willing to take on a job like Nebraska. And he is obviously motivated, as he will basically be doing it for free for the next 4 years.

At one time he was at the very top of my list and I rooted for the Panthers to lose every game, so he would be available. His turnarounds at both Temple and Baylor were amazing.

I think he's the best available established coach outside of Meyer and Kiffin. And I've never seen any indication that either of them has the slightest interest in coming here.

He's the kind of guy that works and doesn't have time for bullshit.

in other words, the polar opposite of the guy that just got fired. Which is the direction most programs go after canning a guy for failing.

Just because a guy doesn't like recruiting doesn't mean he can't or won't recruit. If it is Rhule and he is retaining MJ, problem solved.

Meh, don't think it's a great hire but could be worse I suppose. We should be able to do better. At least it's a better option than 3-9 Mickey.

Not sure I am actually buying MR as our new HC.

Having said that, he's a coach and he will have set out most of this year, so I'm not surprised he would be willing to take on a job like Nebraska. And he is obviously motivated, as he will basically be doing it for free for the next 4 years.

At one time he was at the very top of my list and I rooted for the Panthers to lose every game, so he would be available. His turnarounds at both Temple and Baylor were amazing.
Probably still #1 on my list. I put out a different post maybe a month ago about my coworker's best friends brother being on the Carolina staff and hearing that Rhule thought it would be a attractive landing spot. You have to take the grapevine with a ton of salt but I think this one ( might ) be legit. I think he would be one of our best options, just hope he can retain Mickey and a couple others ...

Matt Rhule really is living in a Twilight Zone episode.

He gets paid millions of dollars to not work...but that means he is free 100% of the time to hangout with his wife and kids.

I would be applying for jobs at ****ing Target if I was him.

He's 47 but...

This guy jumps around more than Wisconsin fans at halftime, so that's not really relevant if he turns out to be a good coach.

He turned two teams around pretty quick.

His win% is 65.67% if you discount initial seasons. 52.22% college record including initial seasons.

Sucked it pretty hard in the NFL. 28.95%

1 AAC conference championship at Temple.

Made a NYS bowl lost to Kirby Smart Georgia.

I think he'd be like a Bo Pelini type of success hire.

I would bet the farm against him winning a Championship at Nebraska, especially after adding USC and UCLA, either due to failure or moving on if another job opens up.

Reactions: Redblood23
Meh, don't think it's a great hire but could be worse I suppose. We should be able to do better. At least it's a better option than 3-9 Mickey.
Your math is off, Mickey only will have 9 games total by the end of the year. And really only 8. And no matter how he finishes with someone elses staff and players he would be a great fit here. If we let him leave there is no hope of resurrecting the program in the next 3-5 years.

Probably still #1 on my list. I put out a different post maybe a month ago about my coworker's best friends brother being on the Carolina staff and hearing that Rhule thought it would be a attractive landing spot. You have to take the grapevine with a ton of salt but I think this one ( might ) be legit. I think he would be one of our best options, just hope he can retain Mickey and a couple others ...
Key terms "landing spot".

IblLtTS.png

Your math is off, Mickey only will have 9 games total by the end of the year. And really only 8. And no matter how he finishes with someone elses staff and players he would be a great fit here. If we let him leave there is no hope of resurrecting the program in the next 3-5 years.
What difference does it make? 2-7 is a worse percentage than 3-9.

Is this the rumor of the day?

Didn't say he wasn't a good coach, but still lost a lot of games vs. ranked opponents... Means a little bit. Games happened.
They did but the context of where those programs were at when he took over matters
His history shows he needs to face a challenge, then he moves on.
Or he loves NU and wins enough to stay here. It took an insane contract offer to get him to leave Baylor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT