ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Rhule - Thoughts?

I'm not gonna bitch about it if he is the guy. I'll support him, like any other coach, until they give me a reason not to. That said, I'm not gonna lie and say I'd be particularly inspired by the choice. He turned around a couple college programs but then flamed out so hard in the NFL that it leaves me going 'meh'. My friends who are Panthers fans said they wouldn't wish Rhule on me so that does give me some pause.

Given all the choices, I'd still rather take a chance on Mickey as HC because I know recruiting elite talent (and an emphasis on recruiting in general) will be mandatory for everyone on his staff. Give him the money to fill out his staff and I think things turn around in a hurry.
Pay me $500k a year to be HC and I will hire the best recruiters in the country. And really good coordinators.

It is NOT besmirching Tom’s legacy. He was a great coach even as he was losing to OU all those years. The point is that given the brief time Rhule was at Baylor I think it’s ludicrous to criticize him for his record against top 10 teams. Fans pick random metrics to pick coaches apart. That is NOT to say Rhule is in Tom’s league as a coach.
dingle, Matt Rhule never beat a ranked team while at Baylor.
That’s why I posted if this is a concern despite Baylor going 11-3 in 2019..

I’m fine with Rhule being the new head coach if that’s the way it falls..

Kind of reminds me of that guy who won 11 games at Minnesota for the frist time since 1904 and had them ranked top 10 postseason for the first time since 1962.

They are both short, and kind of dress weird, if that’s what you mean. That’s about it. As one (MR) can actually coach and the other (PJ) is just a look at me wannabe.

Last edited:
Reactions: dinglefritz
Don’t you wish somebody had given some direction to Frost. The problem there would have been that our AD wasn’t competent to do that.
This place (and 99% of our head-in-the-sand-fanbase) would have collectively pissed themselves if someone tried to tell ginger Jesus how much he sucked, so the comparison to me is moot

This place (and 99% of our head-in-the-sand-fanbase) would have collectively pissed themselves if someone tried to tell ginger Jesus how much he sucked, so the comparison to me is moot
Pedie telling Callahan he had to hire Elmassian was a problem. Trev giving some direction to a first time head coach probably not a big deal. IF Tom had vetoed Carl like he should have Bo might have lasted longer. You’re right about Frost though IMO the changes Frost made in his staff were in part dictated or at least suggested by Trev.

I will ask again, how many teams, if any, beat Oklahoma 3 times when they were ranked in the top 10. I ask this because how can you criticize Nebraska’s record against Oklahoma when no other team did it.
Nebraska was not the higher ranked team in more than half of the games, instead 6 of the 13 games: 1975, 1979, 1980, 1984, 1985 and 1987.
Minn, you pose such an interesting question, so I did take a look.

During the entirety of the Osborne era, there were actually 2 teams that did beat Oklahoma 3 times when they were ranked in the Top 10.

The Canes beat OU in 1985-86 and 1988.

Texas beat OU in 1977-79-81-83-90-1991.

Pedie telling Callahan he had to hire Elmassian was a problem. Trev giving some direction to a first time head coach probably not a big deal. IF Tom had vetoed Carl like he should have Bo might have lasted longer. You’re right about Frost though IMO the changes Frost made in his staff were in part dictated or at least suggested by Trev.
Is that what people think of Carl? I thought people liked Carl cause he was someone who could say no to Bo? And the defenses got a lot worse after he left.

I'm good with Rhule if he hires great recruiters. His teams have always been physical and mentally tough and that's what N has been missing for years.

I'm good with Rhule if he hires great recruiters. His teams have always been physical and mentally tough and that's what N has been missing for years.
As I have written here before, he would be a very good coach at N, the best available candidate. Can see him doing at Lincoln what Pete Carroll did at USC after flaming out in the NFL.

Last edited:
They are both short, and kind of dress weird, if that’s what you mean. That’s about it. As one (MR) can actually coach and the other (PJ) is just a look at me wannabe.
Minnesota goes bowling with him as head coach every year. You're emotions overule your logic in this.

ADVERTISEMENT