ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Rhule - Thoughts?

Not a fan of telling a coach who his staff must be on day 1.
I won't speak about Chadwell, but I'm fine with an AD giving some direction if needed, and that should have been happening with Frost after year 1. Stupid loyalty is extremely common in the coaching ranks, even among good coaches, and sometimes that needs to be threshed out of them.

So we thought the same thing with SF too..
Naw I was never in love with his offense. RBs in his 2 years never had 1000 yard running back. His offense also even that year seemed incredibly reliant on the QB run game.

Last edited:
Do not want.

It’s a shitty situation because if we can’t keep Mickey on staff in some capacity, we lose our ace recruiter.

Maybe pay him a shit ton more money to stay but from what we’ve seen I don’t think it would be the best choice for him to take over as head coach at this stage.

And Tom couldn’t beat top 10 teams then. He was still a great coach👍
Also Tom took over a national championship program not dumpster fires.
Why are you so eager to besmirch TO’s legacy? Please list the number of teams that regularly beat top 10 teams from 1973 - 1978. If there is a list, it will be very short because top 10 teams don’t lose very often.
Before beating Oklahoma for the first time in 1978, TO beat #2/4 Alabama and Bear Bryant in 1977. And while not top 10 teams, here is a list of top 20 teams TO beat prior to 1978:
1973: #12 UCLA, #16 NC State, #18 Kansas, #14 Texas
1974: #15 Florida
1975: #16 Colorado
1976: #14 Oklahoma State, #16 Colorado, # 13 Texas Tech
1977: #17 North Carolina

Why are you so eager to besmirch TO’s legacy? Please list the number of teams that regularly beat top 10 teams from 1973 - 1978. If there is a list, it will be very short because top 10 teams don’t lose very often.
Before beating Oklahoma for the first time in 1978, TO beat #2/4 Alabama and Bear Bryant in 1977. And while not top 10 teams, here is a list of top 20 teams TO beat prior to 1978:
1973: #12 UCLA, #16 NC State, #18 Kansas, #14 Texas
1974: #15 Florida
1975: #16 Colorado
1976: #14 Oklahoma State, #16 Colorado, # 13 Texas Tech
1977: #17 North Carolina
It is NOT besmirching Tom’s legacy. He was a great coach even as he was losing to OU all those years. The point is that given the brief time Rhule was at Baylor I think it’s ludicrous to criticize him for his record against top 10 teams. Fans pick random metrics to pick coaches apart. That is NOT to say Rhule is in Tom’s league as a coach.

It is NOT besmirching Tom’s legacy. He was a great coach even as he was losing to OU all those years. The point is that given the brief time Rhule was at Baylor I think it’s ludicrous to criticize him for his record against top 10 teams. Fans pick random metrics to pick coaches apart. That is NOT to say Rhule is in Tom’s league as a coach.
TO was a great coach but he 2-11 against Oklahoma when both teams were ranked in the top 10

TO was a great coach but he 2-11 against Oklahoma when both teams were ranked in the top 10
Was there a coach/team that had 3 wins against Oklahoma when they were ranked in the top 10?
How many times was Nebraska favored in these games?
Did Oklahoma have superior talent to Nebraska during this time period?
Why don’t you say TO was a great coach without the “but”?

Dingle, the posters have criticized Rhule’s record against ranked teams, not top ten teams.

Was there a coach/team that had 3 wins against Oklahoma when they were ranked in the top 10?
How many times was Nebraska favored in these games?
Did Oklahoma have superior talent to Nebraska during this time period?
Why don’t you say TO was a great coach without the “but”?
Nebraska entered as the higher ranked team in 7 of those 13 games

it’s hard to beat top 10 teams

Last edited:
Dingle, the posters have criticized Rhule’s record against ranked teams, not top ten teams.
Somebody posted his losses at Baylor and they were all to top 10 if not top 5 teams. Who the F cares how many ranked teams he lost to at freaking Temple. It was Temple and prior to him taking over there they couldn’t beat Doane

I always told my wife during the 80's bowl season, "Thank Goodness for LSU."

Reactions: dinglefritz
I always told my wife during the 80's bowl season, "Thank Goodness for LSU."
I checked once, and maybe Minn has also, but I think Tom and NU lost a ridiculous number of times to the eventual national champion over the course of Tom's career.

All the Miami and Florida State games in the Orange Bowl.

During that decade the only team NU beat in the bowl games was 3X's against LSU.

We were a bit better than them. In the national championship games, a lot of times we were just playing better teams.

Had nothing to do with Tom being a great coach or a tremendous coach on his way to becoming a great coach.

I always got my hopes every year just to have them dashed by OU. I kind of quit getting emotionally bought in until Tom finally beat OU.
Even though it was painful, a lot of what was learned by playing OU paid dividends for Tom as he finally began to have the talent on his squad that could match and usually surpasses anyone in the country.

The same could be said for the games against PSU with Paterno. Tom continued to work towards what would be his perfect teams.

Do not want.

It’s a shitty situation because if we can’t keep Mickey on staff in some capacity, we lose our ace recruiter.

Maybe pay him a shit ton more money to stay but from what we’ve seen I don’t think it would be the best choice for him to take over as head coach at this stage.
If MJ wants to be a head coach....I hope he can land with a program . May not be a P5....but some place to start as a HC and get more experience. I think of Lance L and how he moved up....

Somebody posted his losses at Baylor and they were all to top 10 if not top 5 teams. Who the F cares how many ranked teams he lost to at freaking Temple. It was Temple and prior to him taking over there they couldn’t beat Doane
Settle down Dingle. Go back and read the posts about Rhule and his record against ranked teams. I don’t see any posts referencing only top 10 or top 5 teams, only ranked teams. if you don’t give a F about losing to ranked teams why did you respond with a smart ass comment about TO’s record against top 10 teams? What, if any point, are you trying to make?

Nebraska entered as the higher ranked team in 7 of those 13 games

it’s hard to beat top 10 teams
I believe I asked how many times Nebraska was favored in the games.
Again, didn’t Oklahoma have superior talent to Nebraska except 1981-1983?

Settle down Dingle. Go back and read the posts about Rhule and his record against ranked teams. I don’t see any posts referencing only top 10 or top 5 teams, only ranked teams. if you don’t give a F about losing to ranked teams why did you respond with a smart ass comment about TO’s record against top 10 teams? What, if any point, are you trying to make?
Almost nobody beats ranked teams. If you're not named Urban Meyer or Nick Saban you have a losing record against top 25 teams. Peyton Manning is a legend. His playoff record? .500. James Franklin's record against top 25 teams in 2017 was 3-15. Dan Mullen was 6-30 at Mississippi State. I have no problem with Matt Rhule's record against the top 25. I want him beating Northwestern, Purdue, Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. If he beats those teams he's a success in my book.

I believe I asked how many times Nebraska was favored in the games.
Again, didn’t Oklahoma have superior talent to Nebraska except 1981-1983?
If we were the higher ranked team in more than half of those games then there were plenty of people who presumably thought we had at least equal or better talent

do not have access to the point spreads - but with both teams in the top 10 presumably they were tight

OU beat Nebraska by double digits in 5 of those 13 matchups - 4 of which were when Nebraska entered as the higher ranked team

Nebraska’s 2 wins in those 13 games were by 3 and 4 points

I checked once, and maybe Minn has also, but I think Tom and NU lost a ridiculous number of times to the eventual national champion over the course of Tom's career.

All the Miami and Florida State games in the Orange Bowl.

During that decade the only team NU beat in the bowl games was 3X's against LSU.

We were a bit better than them. In the national championship games, a lot of times we were just playing better teams.

Had nothing to do with Tom being a great coach or a tremendous coach on his way to becoming a great coach.
Thank you itseasyas1-2-3
TO has an unbelievable record in playing national championship teams. 15 times in his 25 year career, Nebraska either won or played the national championship team. Unfortunately, not a good winning record, but what team/coach could play this schedule and have a .836 winning record over 25 years.
1974 - Oklahoma
1975 - Oklahoma
1978 - Alabama (non conference game)
1981 - Clemson
1982 - Penn State (non conference game)
1983 - Miami
1985 - Oklahoma
1990 - Colorado and Georgia Tech
1991 - Miami and Washington (non conference game)
1993 - Florida State
1994, 1995, 1997 - Nebraska
And yes, thank you to LSU.

Just watched highlights of 2019 Baylor. Based on what I've seen if you like what seemed like a 70% passing attack you're gonna love Rhule if he is even looking for a spot.

Almost nobody beats ranked teams. If you're not named Urban Meyer or Nick Saban you have a losing record against top 25 teams. Peyton Manning is a legend. His playoff record? .500. James Franklin's record against top 25 teams in 2017 was 3-15. Dan Mullen was 6-30 at Mississippi State. I have no problem with Matt Rhule's record against the top 25. I want him beating Northwestern, Purdue, Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. If he beats those teams he's a success in my book.
Switzer, Hayes, Bowden, Spurrier, Bear Bryant, Paterno, Hayes, Stoops, Meyer, and Saban had winning records vs. Top 25 teams through 2020.

Saban and Bob Stoops won at a much higher percentage than any of them. 66%. Didn't finish with Meyer, but he may be in the 70% range.

At any rate, there are some damn good football coaches who spend their careers coaching sub .500 win pct against the Top 25.

Thank you itseasyas1-2-3
TO has an unbelievable record in playing national championship teams. 15 times in his 25 year career, Nebraska either won or played the national championship team. Unfortunately, not a good winning record, but what team/coach could play this schedule and have a .836 winning record over 25 years.
1974 - Oklahoma
1975 - Oklahoma
1978 - Alabama (non conference game)
1981 - Clemson
1982 - Penn State (non conference game)
1983 - Miami
1985 - Oklahoma
1990 - Colorado and Georgia Tech
1991 - Miami and Washington (non conference game)
1993 - Florida State
And yes, thank you to LSU.
Thanks, Minn, I knew for damn sure either you or scarletred would save me having to run those numbers again.

You look at Tom's overall career record and among 49 losses you have these beauties mixed in there. What a fricking great career.

Reactions: scarletred
1974 - Oklahoma*
1975 - Oklahoma*
1978 - Alabama (non conference game)?
1981 - Clemson?
1982 - Penn State (non conference game) weird locker rooms and sidelines
1983 - Miami*
1985 - Oklahoma*
1990 - Colorado* and Georgia Tech*
1991 - Miami* and Washington* (non conference game)
1993 - Florida State*

* = ncaa probation

did'nt we play ucla with aikmen? did they win a 1/2 nc?

If we were the higher ranked team in more than half of those games then there were plenty of people who presumably thought we had at least equal or better talent

do not have access to the point spreads - but with both teams in the top 10 presumably they were tight

OU beat Nebraska by double digits in 5 of those 13 matchups - 4 of which were when Nebraska entered as the higher ranked team

Nebraska’s 2 wins in those 13 games were by 3 and 4 points
I will ask again, how many teams, if any, beat Oklahoma 3 times when they were ranked in the top 10. I ask this because how can you criticize Nebraska’s record against Oklahoma when no other team did it.
Nebraska was not the higher ranked team in more than half of the games, instead 6 of the 13 games: 1975, 1979, 1980, 1984, 1985 and 1987.

Just watched highlights of 2019 Baylor. Based on what I've seen if you like what seemed like a 70% passing attack you're gonna love Rhule if he is even looking for a spot.
He did have 3 QBs that seemed capable of running an offense though, so that's good.

1974 - Oklahoma*
1975 - Oklahoma*
1978 - Alabama (non conference game)?
1981 - Clemson?
1982 - Penn State (non conference game) weird locker rooms and sidelines
1983 - Miami*
1985 - Oklahoma*
1990 - Colorado* and Georgia Tech*
1991 - Miami* and Washington* (non conference game)
1993 - Florida State*

* = ncaa probation

did'nt we play ucla with aikmen? did they win a 1/2 nc?
Do you have any idea what you’re posting? Every team I listed are recognized as national championship football teams. Even if a team was on probation, and almost every team you highlighted was not, they were recognized as national champions.
UCLA won its only football national championship in 1954. Yes, we played UCLA with Aikman as quarterback in 1988 and they kicked our ass. Norte Dame won the NC in 1988.

Reactions: scarletred
Do you have any idea what you’re posting? Every team I listed are recognized as national championship football teams. Even if a team was on probation, and almost every team you highlighted was not, they were recognized as national champions.
UCLA won its only football national championship in 1954. Yes, we played UCLA with Aikman as quarterback in 1988 and they kicked our ass. Norte Dame won the NC in 1988.
don't have a cow, and yes they did go on ncaa probation....I was just asking bout ucla could'nt remember, at ease.

You don’t have a clue. Google can be your friend.
don't need to use google, remember it while it happened..dr. tom rarely lost to a nc team that wasen't cheatin...very very very rarely..these are the facts...

He took Temple from a 1-win team to a 10-win team, that finished ranked in the Top 25. Took Baylor from a 2-win team to an 11-win team that finished ranked 13th. He won a conference title at Temple for the first time in 47 years and beat Penn State for the first time in 61 years. But yes, he did lose to a Top 10 Oklahoma team by 3 twice and #5 Georgia by 12 in the Sugar Bowl, so he's a bum.
Kind of reminds me of that guy who won 11 games at Minnesota for the frist time since 1904 and had them ranked top 10 postseason for the first time since 1962.

arguing about who was ranked 50 years ago is probably the most boomer-tier whining I’ve seen on this board.

this is why people people make fun of us

Reactions: 9and4
We want 70% triple option.

Haha yeah the famed triple option. I still prefer rush leaning offense though. It's just more enjoyable in my opinion. Although I'd take any offense if it's putting up big scores.

He did have 3 QBs that seemed capable of running an offense though, so that's good.

Yeah I did notice the #2 didn't drop off at all it seemed. I didn't notice the 3rd string guy though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT