ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Rhule - Thoughts?

Apparently, according to the interwebs. Auburn reached out to gauge his interest and were basically told he is a done deal to Nebraska. Their media people shared this info with Nebraska sports media people, who have run with it this AM.

If Rhule's people reallt told Auburn that then Rhule needs to surround himself with better people. That is a deal breaker for me in terms of legitimacy... as in, I don't but it for a second.

Rhule fans explain to my why Carolina been looking soooooooooo much better without him? handed Tom Brady his lowest point of his career

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
Urban and Saban didn’t work out in the NFL either
Those two coaches won Nattys before making the jump. Proven to be excellent coaches in college. Has MR did that?

He went 11-3 in the B1G one year and won the AAC. What a resume 🙄

recruits be like- I love what you did with the best player in the NFL. Got him hurt a bunch and couldn’t win.

Those two coaches won Nattys before making the jump. Proven to be excellent coaches in college. Has MR did that?

He went 11-3 in the B1G one year and won the AAC. What a resume

Matt Ruhle has proven to be an excellent college football coach, which is what we are hiring. I think the fact that some fans would potentially bitch about this hire proves some people just want to be unhappy.

Matt Ruhle has proven to be an excellent college football coach, which is what we are hiring. I think the fact that some fans would potentially bitch about this hire proves some people just want to be unhappy.
Not bitching. Watch a lot of NFL. More than college lately. He was awful there and had one good year at Baylor. Not a bitch. Just facts

You can play the “not an NFL card” but your sample size for him in college doesn’t prove him to be a great college coach. It just doesn’t

Nicks and Urban sample size was much greater. Just facts. Sorry you hate facts

Not bitching. Watch a lot of NFL. More than college lately. He was awful there and had one good year at Baylor. Not a bitch. Just facts

You can play the “not an NFL card” but your sample size for him in college doesn’t prove him to be a great college coach. It just doesn’t

I think he is absolutely proven to be a great college coach. What he did at both Baylor and Temple was amazing. I don’t watch the Panthers, so I can’t speak to that, but I also don’t put much stock in NFL performance for a potential college coach.

I think there were a lot of things including the QB that we’re out of his control at Carolina

So why would Ruhle's people say anything specific to Auburn other then that he respectfully isn't interested in becoming the Auburn coach? I just don't think logically they'd want to ruin his big moment to reveal his own decision IF that actually were true.

I think he is absolutely proven to be a great college coach. What he did at both Baylor and Temple was amazing. I don’t watch the Panthers, so I can’t speak to that, but I also don’t put much stock in NFL performance for a potential college coach.
Never beat a top 25 team as coach at Baylor.

Yep looks like a great coach

I'm not gonna bitch about it if he is the guy. I'll support him, like any other coach, until they give me a reason not to. That said, I'm not gonna lie and say I'd be particularly inspired by the choice. He turned around a couple college programs but then flamed out so hard in the NFL that it leaves me going 'meh'. My friends who are Panthers fans said they wouldn't wish Rhule on me so that does give me some pause.

Given all the choices, I'd still rather take a chance on Mickey as HC because I know recruiting elite talent (and an emphasis on recruiting in general) will be mandatory for everyone on his staff. Give him the money to fill out his staff and I think things turn around in a hurry.

Reactions: Husker.Wed.
Or it's just a mediocre hire. It would actually improve my perception of TA though because I thought he'd do worse.

Never beat a top 25 team as coach at Baylor.

Yep looks like a great coach

He took Temple from a 1-win team to a 10-win team, that finished ranked in the Top 25. Took Baylor from a 2-win team to an 11-win team that finished ranked 13th. He won a conference title at Temple for the first time in 47 years and beat Penn State for the first time in 61 years. But yes, he did lose to a Top 10 Oklahoma team by 3 twice and #5 Georgia by 12 in the Sugar Bowl, so he's a bum.

He took Temple from a 1-win team to a 10-win team, that finished ranked in the Top 25. Took Baylor from a 2-win team to an 11-win team that finished ranked 13th. He won a conference title at Temple for the first time in 47 years and beat Penn State for the first time in 61 years. But yes, he did lose to a Top 10 Oklahoma team by 3 twice and #5 Georgia by 12 in the Sugar Bowl, so he's a bum.
Didn’t call him a bum. Said he wasn’t a great coach. You called him a great coach. Winning season at Temple and at Baylor apparently makes one a great coach

Might also add, the pressure to win @ Temple & Baylor is low. The pressure to win in the NFL is high.

How’s he been under pressure? I’m sure he won’t be under a microscope in Lincoln right? LOL

Last edited:
Most HC (not named Saban or Meyer) don't have good records vs ranked teams.

It's not always sexy but I'll take consistent upward trajectory and 11 wins any day vs. what we have seen the last 6-7 years.
I don’t know Chris Klieman seems to do pretty well against top ranked teams. 🤷‍♂️

But apparently no one ever beats top 25 teams

we sure as hell don’t. So Rhule will fit in just nice here.

• Love
Reactions: AVeritas
I don’t know Chris Klieman seems to do pretty well against top ranked teams. 🤷‍♂️

But apparently no one ever beats top 25 teams

we sure as hell don’t. So Rhule will fit in just nice here.
I’m not sure Kleiman wants to come to Nebraska. He can win 8-9 games per year including losses to Sunbelt teams and they’ll erect statues of him in Manhattan

BOOM!

Or it's just a mediocre hire.
I agree 100% with this assessment. Smells like a guy to come in and beat Minnesota and Purdue and not a guy that will come in and compete with Michigan and tOSU.

I guess it’s better than were we been.

we are basically a middle aged divorced mom, settling for someone who doesn’t light our fire but someone who will be good to our kids

I agree 100% with this assessment. Smells like a guy to come in and beat Minnesota and Purdue and not a guy that will come in and compete with Michigan and tOSU.

we are basically a middle aged divorced mom, settling for someone who doesn’t light our fire but someone who will be good to our kids

Seriously? Who in the world would you like to see hired?

Seriously? Who in the world would you like to see hired?
Someone with more energy and upside. Someone whose going to be able to bring in talent. Unfortunately there aren’t many fantastic ones out there.

Chris Klieman would be an option.

Rhule named HC- don’t worrry Purdue, here we come in 2025

Good one That might be all we can get for now. I believe we’ve contacted most of the popular names on this board but they’re either outright saying no or the contract demands are too ridiculous.

Someone with more energy and upside. Someone whose going to be able to bring in talent. Unfortunately there aren’t many fantastic ones out there.

How do you know he hasn’t said no? You know, Nebraska. It isn’t for everyone.

You think Klieman has more energy and upside? You think he will recruit better talent? He hasn't shown that at KSU yet.

Reactions: king_kong_
Good one That might be all we can get for now. I believe we’ve contacted most of the popular names on this board but they’re either outright saying no or the contract demands are too ridiculous.
i appreciate this. Refreshing to see some honesty vs just blanket statements “he’s a great college coach… he beat a 7-6 Penn State team.”

i appreciate this. Refreshing to see some honesty vs just blanket statements “he’s a great college coach… he beat a 7-6 Penn State team.”
People are naive to think we can get whoever we want. It’s not the way it works. Most guys want long term job security in addition to a huge payday. Kleiman’s making a FORTUNE coaching KSU with a minuscule amount of stress compared to NU.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT