ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Rhule salary

woah -- that would slot him as ~ #8 nationally on a per year figure (depending on the source)

Rhule got both high years and huge annual salary in the negotiation
Bigger contract than the Panthers paid him which was huge and caused ripples in the NFL

more than Harbaugh - although Harbaugh likely will leapfrog

Last edited:
woah -- that would slot him as ~ #8 nationally on a per year figure (depending on the source)

Rhule got both high years and huge annual salary in the negotiation
Bigger contract than the Panthers paid him which was huge and caused ripples in the NFL

more than Harbaugh - although Harbaugh likely will leapfrog
His agent squeezed every last drop he could get. High stakes game of brinksmanship and they were negotiating from a very strong position. There’s no way Rhule wasn’t our first choice if we were willing to give him that deal.

If I am understanding this correctly, we just lowered what Carolina owes him? We didn't realize any savings? ...and I am not complaining at all, just trying to understand who now owes who what.

If I am understanding this correctly, we just lowered what Carolina owes him? We didn't realize any savings?
Carolinas contract had no bearing on what we gave a Rhule other than leverage. His agent squeezed us for more years. We reduce Carolinas obligation but it really wasn’t a factor other than it gave Rhule’s agent tremendous leverage.

Reactions: huskerfan66
And some people were worried that Trev was going to go cheap. You knew when he swallowed that HUGE Frost buyout without a blink and bumped up Mickey's salary that Trev was a big spender. Let's hope he creates a big assistant pool as well. I always believed the assistant pool ought to be at least as big as the head coach's annual salary.

P.S. And the Panthers have to be thrilled that Nebraska is going to pick up all of the remainder of their buyout. I just hope Trev is smart enough to include the same clause that Rhule's buy out from Nebraska would be reduced by a competitive salary as well should Rhule take another job after being fired (hopefully that isn't necessary of course).

Last edited:
Carolinas contract had no bearing on what we gave a Rhule other than leverage. His agent squeezed us for more years. We reduce Carolinas obligation but it really wasn’t a factor other than it gave Rhule’s agent tremendous leverage.

As I underarand these things...if we offered him 72mil...we owe him the full 72mil...Carolina's burden has now been reduced by the 72mil...correct? And if so what do they owe him now I am curious

As I underarand these things...if we offered him 72mil...we owe him the full 72mil...Carolina's burden has now been reduced by the 72mil...correct??
They didn’t owe him that much. Basically Carolina is off the hook after this year and Rhule’s agent got him 4 additional years above The Carolina contract. That’s the market right now I guess.
Mel Tucker got like 90 M guaranteed

If I am understanding this correctly, we just lowered what Carolina owes him? We didn't realize any savings? ...and I am not complaining at all, just trying to understand who now owes who what.
I don’t think Carolina will owe him another cent once the 1st NU check arrives. He was owed about 8.5-8.8 per year by the panthers.

He signed a 7 year 62 million contract in 2020.

Reactions: huskerfan66
I read that the total for assistants is around 11 mil......can that be right? Also MR wanted 4 mil for 4 top assistants. Can't believe everything you read......

That would be amazing, but I don’t think that can be right. We’re we’re at around 5.5 last year and OSU is around 8.5.

That would be amazing, but I don’t think that can be right. We’re we’re at around 5.5 last year and OSU is around 8.5.
Well if you give Mickey 1M+ as a WR coach/recruiting coordinator you’ve got to pay your DC and OC. We’re wont be hiring a position coach to be our DC.

I bet the assistant number will be less than 9.

Well if you give Mickey 1M+ as a WR coach/recruiting coordinator you’ve got to pay your DC and OC. We’re wont be hiring a position coach to be our DC.

I bet the assistant number will be less than 9.

I hope the number is closer to 9 than to 6. A coach is only as good as his coaching staff.

If we want to keep Mickey, get the DL coach from aTM (ant least $1M each), hire elite coordinators ( at least $1.5M each), and of course go get an top notch OL coach, that will take an investment.

With the new 7 to 8 Billion dollar media rights contract for seven years going into effect in 2023 to the BIG conference, each program will not need to worry how much they spend on a new HC, it will be a drop in the bucket. Rhule's 9 million seems to pale when you're talking about each school splitting 7 or 8 billion dollars over seven years.

Reactions: HominidHusker
I hope the number is closer to 9 than to 6. A coach is only as good as his coaching staff.

If we want to keep Mickey, get the DL coach from aTM (ant least $1M each), hire elite coordinators ( at least $1.5M each), and of course go get an top notch OL coach, that will take an investment.
Honestly I’m not hung up on salaries. I believe there are some damned good young coaches who may out perform name hires. That said you try to get the guys your head coach wants

Reactions: BleedRed78
Thank heavens we are in a conference that splits money evenly with the new media rights contract going into effect in 2023, it gives Nebraska a lot of leverage something they wouldn't have had if they were still a member of the BIG12.

As I underarand these things...if we offered him 72mil...we owe him the full 72mil...Carolina's burden has now been reduced by the 72mil...correct? And if so what do they owe him now I am curious
I think I read where Rhule's buy out from Carolina was a total of $40 million of which $32 million was yet to be paid. So they probably don't owe him anything more.

Reactions: dinglefritz
that’s an interesting take. I would think if that was a factor it would come out eventually.
There were reports that the Carolina deal was somehow hindering the hiring of Rhule. If Nebraska was set to offer 8 years 72 million, and the offset language was clear, there would be no need to include Carolina in the deal.

Reactions: Mack In Motion
The same ones bitching about his salary are probably the same ones complaining about him possibly bolting. If you want to keep your coach then pay the man.

Reactions: headcard
There were reports that the Carolina deal was somehow hindering the hiring of Rhule. If Nebraska was set to offer 8 years 72 million, and the offset language was clear, there would be no need to include Carolina in the deal.

I heard the hold up was the assistant salary pool and the buyout language. But that was just message board stuff, so take it with a grain of salt.

I was always fascinated by how much people love to tell other people what to do with their money
Keep your hands out of other peoples wallets!!! Husker fans act like a bunch of Bernie voters

Reactions: jteten
We have paid out the most money for fired coaches for years.. the AD office and administration want to keep the record going. Unreal 40 million bailout.. then to do this again in 3 years.. lmao.. the University is a complete joke anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT