ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Rhule can repair Nebraska: Why ex-Panthers coach is perfect fit to resurrect Huskers program

His record for turning teams around on the collegiate level is impressive.

47 years old

His record minus his initial years taking a team over is 66.67% which is really good. Counting those first years it's 52.22%. He was hired away both times he turned the college teams he coached for around, in 4 years at Temple, and was hired away from Baylor after 3 years.

His bowl record is abysmal at 33.37%, he did get Temple to a bowl his last year there but did not coach it. Had he won it, his bowl record would be 50%,. Had he lost it, his bowl record would be 25%....

Reactions: BleedRed78
Rhule wouldn't be my first pick. But his age is great and it seems he can bring a team together well on the college level.

He last two recruiting classes were 30th and 24th at Baylor. Baylor being in Texas should be taken into consideration.

I still think Freeze is a better coach at 72.1% currently at Liberty and had Ole Miss top 5 in recruiting.

we should definatly offer a fair offer..but don't do anything dumb like a jimbo/msu coach contract
Yeah I would love Rhule, but 10 years 100 million would be a huge risk. It unfortunately might be the type of contract you do have to pay to get him. He will be high in demand.

Yeah I would love Rhule, but 10 years 100 million would be a huge risk. It unfortunately might be the type of contract you do have to pay to get him. He will be high in demand.
true, for the programs looking for a coach there's coaches looking for a program...so I'm ok with going after rhule but we don't have to get rhule..there are other coaches...defintly try but don't offer your first born,and right arm

His record for turning teams around on the collegiate level is impressive.

47 years old

His record minus his initial years taking a team over is 66.67% which is really good. Counting those first years it's 52.22%. He was hired away both times he turned the college teams he coached for around, in 4 years at Temple, and was hired away from Baylor after 3 years.

His bowl record is abysmal at 33.37%, he did get Temple to a bowl his last year there but did not coach it. Had he won it, his bowl record would be 50%,. Had he lost it, his bowl record would be 25%....
3 Conference Championship Games, winning one and a Sugar Bowl...

The thing is, he’s guaranteed like 8+ mil per year, and is canned, and if his contract has typical offset language, whether we pay him 1 mil or 8 mil, he still makes 8 mil. So why would we pay 8 mil when Carolina picks up that tab?
That’s a serious question.

He should keep Bill Busch as well. Bill Busch probably deserves more credit for Nebraska's two wins than Mickey Joseph does.
you would think a smart coach (if given the time to see the state of Nebraska football) would consider keeping bill, mickey and the rb coach..even if you put bill at special teams, and the latter two help you good recruits from down south and all 3 seem quality coaches

There are a few coaches on staff that would be nice to keep but that would be up to the new coach. I do worry that a fired NFL coach might want to bring a few of his buddies with him and didn't we try that already with Bill Callahan.

I imagine a guy like that will bring his own staff in. Almost across the board.

Rhule wouldn't be my first pick. But his age is great and it seems he can bring a team together well on the college level.

He last two recruiting classes were 30th and 24th at Baylor. Baylor being in Texas should be taken into consideration.

I still think Freeze is a better coach at 72.1% currently at Liberty and had Ole Miss top 5 in recruiting.
Freeze has way too much baggage and seems to have had some problems with the truth.

He should keep Bill Busch as well. Bill Busch probably deserves more credit for Nebraska's two wins than Mickey Joseph does.
I believe that anybody we hire will be strongly encouraged to keep at a minimum Mickey and Busch. Remember Busch first came back here as an analyst. Who knows how long he wants to actively coach. IF I had to guess a refusal to keep MJ on staff would be a deal breaker.

I believe that anybody we hire will be strongly encouraged to keep at a minimum Mickey and Busch. Remember Busch first came back here as an analyst. Who knows how long he wants to actively coach. IF I had to guess a refusal to keep MJ on staff would be a deal breaker.
Wouldn’t it be awkward and possibly divisive to have a guy on your staff who was the interim coach and who wanted the permanent position?

Reactions: CoastGuard2018
If Busch gets paid more to be a position coach or a coordinator vs being an analyst, it's something he most likely would consider.

So long as he's lineman oriented both sides of the ball as he is, why's it matter?

More soft football. No physicality that's required for this league.

More wasting time looking for great skill players.

Wash,rinse and repeat.

Trev would be crazy to give any coach a 10 year coach. Texas A&M and Michigan State are already showing signs of regret. If a coach has success he can be in Lincoln as long as he desires.

The thing is, he’s guaranteed like 8+ mil per year, and is canned, and if his contract has typical offset language, whether we pay him 1 mil or 8 mil, he still makes 8 mil. So why would we pay 8 mil when Carolina picks up that tab?
That’s a serious question.
You pay him what he's worth. If you see how cheap you can get him, he won't come here.

Reactions: king_kong_
If we don’t get the best coach available and are still having shitty seasons a couple years from know. I doubt you will be saying “I’m sure glad we were able to save some money on the last coaching hire.”
it's scary, seems the last 2 coaches we got were just around for a check.

If we don’t get the best coach available and are still having shitty seasons a couple years from know. I doubt you will be saying “I’m sure glad we were able to save some money on the last coaching hire.”
Well, true but I don’t think we are all positive that Rhule is the best possible candidate, though only time would tell I guess. I think my point is that paying top dollar for a guy that just got fired because he had one good season at Baylor is a bit dumb.
Carolina was dumb enough to pay him 8 mil+ per year, so we should pay him 10mil? He could be the answer but I don’t know that he is… any more than some of these other guys.
I mention Mike Leach sometimes and most guys are like, nah he’s topped out or he is too weird… the same Leach who is 5-1 at doormat MSU and had 11 win seasons at previously bottom dwelling TTech and Wazzu.
I am not against Rhule but just pointing out there’s plenty of guys out there that you don’t need to pay 8-10 mil.
We thought hiring Frost was so worth it at 5 mil and 7 years and look where that got us.
I know salaries have jumped but that was top dollar back then.
Fingers crossed on this hire

Except Ruhle is a lineman guy. Spread team or not, he gets the linemen to perform better than we would if we suddenly went back to the I formation under shotgun over night...

Be physical. Is all I care about.

Our defense practicing against spread offenses is killing us.

Well, true but I don’t think we are all positive that Rhule is the best possible candidate, though only time would tell I guess. I think my point is that paying top dollar for a guy that just got fired because he had one good season at Baylor is a bit dumb.
Carolina was dumb enough to pay him 8 mil+ per year, so we should pay him 10mil? He could be the answer but I don’t know that he is… any more than some of these other guys.
I mention Mike Leach sometimes and most guys are like, nah he’s topped out or he is too weird… the same Leach who is 5-1 at doormat MSU and had 11 win seasons at previously bottom dwelling TTech and Wazzu.
I am not against Rhule but just pointing out there’s plenty of guys out there that you don’t need to pay 8-10 mil.
We thought hiring Frost was so worth it at 5 mil and 7 years and look where that got us.
I know salaries have jumped but that was top dollar back then.
Fingers crossed on this hire
Leach has won at 3 different stops all difficult places to win. I think his offense has a ceiling against really good defenses but he is entertaining and no BS.

Oh I understand why some wouldn't want him. I just don't see the reasons as logical or relevant anymore. NIL is a thing.
It wasn't just paying players off. He was talking to hookers on his university-issued cell phone. That right there tells me Freeze is stupid. Anyone who was making that much money and isn't using a burner phone or phones to get his side action is just plain STUPID!

Reactions: headcard
Leach has won at 3 different stops all difficult places to win. I think his offense has a ceiling against really good defenses but he is entertaining and no BS.
I saw the Pirate keep his starting QB on the bench just to prove a point. It was when he was coaching WSU and that QB was leading the nation in passing. Oh, by the way the Cougars lost the game. He is entertaining. I think with Mike you will always have to be concerned with his wandering eye. He holds grudges, too. Still wants Texas Tech to give him the money he thinks they owe him.

It wasn't just paying players off. He was talking to hookers on his university-issued cell phone. That right there tells me Freeze is stupid. Anyone who was making that much money and isn't using a burner phone or phones to get his side action is just plain STUPID!

Yeah I agree he's comms dumb and football smart.

1. It didn't lose him any games and doesn't seem to be losing him any games now...still getting paid to coach and all....which leads me to...

2. Nebraska didn't get into the big ten because they were anything other than football successful. The big ten wanted that national brand. Nebraska's national football brand is real because of it's wins. Freeze wins.

3. His wife is still with him, which tells me it must not have been all that bad...maybe he liked to talk dirty and she don't...

4. Liberty University gave him a second chance, and they are a Christian school but I guess that makes sense considering the redemption aspect and all.

But I don't think you have to worry, something tells me he doesn't want to move away from the southeastern United States anyway.

Odds for Rhule's coaching service.

More soft football. No physicality that's required for this league.

More wasting time looking for great skill players.

Wash,rinse and repeat.
Agreed 100%. This has been the problem since Callahan, which is right around the time Nebraska lost its identity. Running a unique offense means NU doesn't have to compete with the USCs and Ohio States for the same athletes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT