ADVERTISEMENT

Marvin Scott

dinglefritz

Nebraska Legend
Jan 14, 2011
Just caught the last couple of minutes of the first half of the replay of Nebraska vs PSU. Anybody doubting his ability to be an effective RB needs to rewatch that last series. He made a great catch then made a guy miss. On three consecutive plays the first guy who hit him didn't bring him down. On the pass play he lowered his shoulder and knocked the next would be tackler back instead of going out of bounds. It took another defender to bring him down. Damn if our guards and right tackle can block this year, a guy like Scott could have huge games for us.

I don’t care who or whom carries the rock, what I would like to know besides Stepp recovering from a previous injury and do we have some many backs always sitting out of practice all the time..

Reactions: CT-NUred
I saw the same ability in his hudl film and couldnt believe he was only a 3 star. If he knows the system and stays healthy there is no reason why he shouldnt have a good year.

Reactions: otismotis08
I’ve been trying to beat this RB drum all year. I didn’t even think we needed Stepp. I’m really high on Scott as well and thought he should’ve got more opportunity last season. It is unfortunate that they all seem to be injury prone. You just hope you have a couple of them available on any given gameday. Scott maybe the most durable of the bunch. We knew he was rocked up coming in as a freshman and he ran with the will and power of a senior already. Very excited for this young man.

Scott will be better with the added year of experience. If Stepp can get past the injuries, he can be the big back that helps win games in the B1G. Thompkins is a pretty runner but has had injury problems. Morrison is a question mark. Coaches are high on Gabe Ervin. Yant is a steal as a walk on. I have the feeling that Rahmir is on the wrong side of the depth chart.
NU needs to guys to split the bulk of the carries, plus another two in reserve that can play. Figure two might have injuries of one sort or another in the fall. Just hope it isn't the wrong two.

Meh. He is injured. Like all of them apparently. Who knows how good he can be? So far he just rides the pine mostly. I think he has potential as dingle points out. But until one of these guys breaks out as another Abdullah or Helu or Burkhead I will temper my enthusiasm. It turns out that the best recruiter of running back talent since Osborne was one Mr. Bo Pelini

Meh. He is injured. Like all of them apparently. Who knows how good he can be? So far he just rides the pine mostly. I think he has potential as dingle points out. But until one of these guys breaks out as another Abdullah or Helu or Burkhead I will temper my enthusiasm. It turns out that the best recruiter of running back talent since Osborne was one Mr. Bo Pelini
one thing has been certain for 6+ years:

if a player comes to NU, he doesn't do it to excel on the football field

My first thought in response to this was “no way, Callahan did better than Pelini,” but then I thought about it more... Pelini has had 3 backs that spent more than just a few minutes on NFL rosters in Burkhead, Abdullah and Helu. Who did Callahan have? The only one that comes to mind is Brandon Jackson, and that was just for a year or two...

So good call on your post above...

My first thought in response to this was “no way, Callahan did better than Pelini,” but then I thought about it more... Pelini has had 3 backs that spent more than just a few minutes on NFL rosters in Burkhead, Abdullah and Helu. Who did Callahan have? The only one that comes to mind is Brandon Jackson, and that was just for a year or two...

You have to give Callahan and his staff credit for recruiting Roy Helu though. He was the 55th ranked rated running back in the country when he signed in 2007.

Only four running backs from that class went on to play more than one season in the NFL:

- Joe McKnight - ranked #1
- Jahvid Best - ranked #9
- Jonathan Dwyer - ranked #10

and

Roy Helu #55

And you could argue that Helu actually ended up having the best career.

They also benefited from having one of the best assistant coaches ever at Nebraska.

Nobody doubts he can be effective. I think we are all hoping for a RB that is more than just effective though. Out of all the other backs that we saw last year he probably did show the most promise but it wasn't enough to make a thread over, IMO. Wandale was still taking reps at RB for a reason.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
When Mills wasn't available last season, Scott got carries, but Wandale was back there when something had to get done. The others were either injured or weren't sufficiently trusted.

Nobody doubts he can be effective. I think we are all hoping for a RB that is more than just effective though. Out of all the other backs that we saw last year he probably did show the most promise but it wasn't enough to make a thread over, IMO. Wandale was still taking reps at RB for a reason.
IMO Frost was just to cute with Wan'Dale. Players need reps for the offense you are running. The way they used him was more then a simple wrinkle.

Reactions: bigredhunter

Running backs huh lol?? How bout QB's, WR's, Defensive linemen, CB's, Safeties, Linebackers, Pass Rushers...hell even Kickers and Punters!

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
When Mills wasn't available last season, Scott got carries, but Wandale was back there when something had to get done. The others were either injured or weren't sufficiently trusted.
They could have gotten 2 yard runs up the middle with Wandske split out wide or in the slot.

That's all Wandale did.

I'll take Callahan any day of the week. He had Lucky, Jackson, and Helu.

Those backs that Pelini landed were largely the result of Tim Beck's and Ron Brown's recruiting. Helu was all Callahan.

Reactions: timnsun
You would take ML over Rex?

sub-buzz-20355-1479754896-19.png

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
Rivals rating after name.

Lucky 6.1 3772 yds from scrimmage at NU
Terrell Newby 6.0 2593 yfs
Rex Burkhead 5.8 3836 yfs
Abdullah 5.7 5278 yfs
Jackson 5.7 1749 yfs
Imani Cross 1629 yfs
Helu 5.5 3905 yfs

I'll take Callahan any day of the week. He had Lucky, Jackson, and Helu.
Kenny Wilson was pretty good too wasn't he until he got injured. Kind of amazing how well Cody Glenn was at LB after playing RB (injured often I believe) his first 3 years.

EDIT: Quentin Castille is another Callahan recruit that was solid, but kept getting into trouble...

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr.Scary13
Just caught the last couple of minutes of the first half of the replay of Nebraska vs PSU. Anybody doubting his ability to be an effective RB needs to rewatch that last series. He made a great catch then made a guy miss. On three consecutive plays the first guy who hit him didn't bring him down. On the pass play he lowered his shoulder and knocked the next would be tackler back instead of going out of bounds. It took another defender to bring him down. Damn if our guards and right tackle can block this year, a guy like Scott could have huge games for us.

the man has potential, no doubt about it. Him and Morrison both have potential, to be honest. But they have to stay healthy. If they can do that, those 2 have the potential to be a great 1-2 punch for our Huskers.

Reactions: dinglefritz
To hell with Klownahan.....he didn't do a damn thing with any of the PLAYERS he recruited! If you don't develop them or have a track record for it that's where your credit ends.

I remember people talking bout how his recruits were overrated by his buddy the recruiting expert Tom Lugenbill (i believe) correct me if I'm wrong. I had Nebraska fans I knew saying the PLAYERS were busts and soft soft after 4 years of Billyball.

Its amazing how all of a sudden a when decent coach develops those players what happens. You move Cody Glenn RB to LB, Amukamura WR to CB, get a 3 headed monster RB of Lucky, Castille and Helu going, Phillip Dillard starts playing his ass off, O'hanlon and Asante who were villified become ballers, Swift and Mike McNeill catching everything.

Then all of a sudden Klownihan is hailed as a hero with the revisionist history of some Husker fans. The players haters Billy Bob just like they did Oakland....where they wanted to kill him!

To hell with Klownahan.....he didn't do a damn thing with any of the PLAYERS he recruited! If you don't develop them or have a track record for it that's where your credit ends.

I remember people talking bout how his recruits were overrated by his buddy the recruiting expert Tom Lugenbill (i believe) correct me if I'm wrong. I had Nebraska fans I knew saying the PLAYERS were busts and soft soft after 4 years of Billyball.

Its amazing how all of a sudden a when decent coach develops those players what happens. You move Cody Glenn RB to LB, Amukamura WR to CB, get a 3 headed monster RB of Lucky, Castille and Helu going, Phillip Dillard starts playing his ass off, O'hanlon and Asante who were villified become ballers, Swift and Mike McNeill catching everything.

Then all of a sudden Klownihan is hailed as a hero with the revisionist history of some Husker fans. The players haters Billy Bob just like they did Oakland....where they wanted to kill him!
Genius, you realize all of those players were further along in the system after Callahan had left right? Juniors and seniors typically perform better than freshman and sophomores. This isn't hard.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT