ADVERTISEMENT

Marvin Scott III

It's not just the 90s.

1970s
98-20-4 -9 years AP ranked top 10 post season - lowest AP post season ranking 12th

1980s
103-20 -7 years AP ranked top 10 post season - lowest AP post season ranking 11th

1990s
108-16-1 -6 years AP ranked top 10 post season - lowest AP post season ranking 24th

That is 3 decades of dominance.
followed by going on 3 decades of futility with a few blips of life here and there

sad.

Reactions: kbowe1sat
I know. I shouldn't be so down, I really am excited about this upcoming season and really everything about the program.

7-5 is just hard to stomach.

well bro, we all have to remember we are in the middle of a rebuild. There will be some ups and downs along the way. The last true rebuilds took 4-5 years before the teams started winning big. And 7-5 is no lock. We could go 6-6 and we could very well go 8-4. Frost is bringing in the talent and getting the pieces in place. We have to accept the good with the bad. Eventually we will start winning and competing for BIG 10 titles. Believe That’s!!! GBR

I like his chances to be #2 behind Mills come fall.

Just watched his film again, and I think the most impressive thing is that he's not running through huge holes created by his line - he is making guys miss and breaking tackles immediately.

We see tons of RB film where the guy has a massive hole to run through, and Scott's film is certainly not that.

So what you are saying is we shouldn't accept what is going on. Ultimately the non-acceptance leads to less butts in seats and hurts the program overall.

Why do you want to hurt the program like that?
You are talking out of your ass just to talk out of your ass. What I think or do, won't do jack to the program. Also Im not saying you should or shouldn't do anything. You are an adult, I assume and are free to do, think, or act, as you like. Im saying for me, I, myself 7 wins should never be viewed as acceptable at Nebraska. We should hold ourselves in higher regard than teams like Iowa where 7 wins in perfectly acceptable. As discussed earlier is 7 win realistic, yes. Realistic expectation and acceptable expectation are 2 different things.

You are talking out of your ass just to talk out of your ass. What I think or do, won't do jack to the program. Also Im not saying you should or shouldn't do anything. You are an adult, I assume and are free to do, think, or act, as you like. Im saying for me, I, myself 7 wins should never be viewed as acceptable at Nebraska. We should hold ourselves in higher regard than teams like Iowa where 7 wins in perfectly acceptable. As discussed earlier is 7 win realistic, yes. Realistic expectation and acceptable expectation are 2 different things.

I am talking out of my ass?

Let's summarize:

You rant about how fans are lowering their expectations.
I say what we expect or don't accept doesn't change a thing.
You say, oh but it does.
I say, so that would mean you are really hurting the program.
You say "What I think or do, won't do jack to the program."

So you agree with what I first stated. And I am talking out of my ass. Got it.

Just watched his film again, and I think the most impressive thing is that he's not running through huge holes created by his line - he is making guys miss and breaking tackles immediately.

We see tons of RB film where the guy has a massive hole to run through, and Scott's film is certainly not that.
Completely agree. I love his vision between the tackles and he runs a bit violent too. I think he's physically ready to play (due to his weight lifting regiment), when most freshman are not. I love the series of plays starting around the 3:15 mark on.

Last edited:
I am talking out of my ass?

Let's summarize:

You rant about how fans are lowering their expectations.
I say what we expect or don't accept doesn't change a thing.
You say, oh but it does.
I say, so that would mean you are really hurting the program.
You say "What I think or do, won't do jack to the program."

So you agree with what I first stated. And I am talking out of my ass. Got it.
Fans are 100% lowering their expectation. In no way shape or form would 7 wins have been acceptable even 5 years ago. Now many seem ok with it. Again acceptable and realistic expectation are different.
2nd you came yammering in about it doesn't matter what we fans think is acceptable. Where I stated it does, because we are the ones buying tickets and spending money. Again you came in stating "Why do you want to hurt the program" Where I said what "I" do or think won't hurt or help the program one bit. Which it doesn't. It is what the masses think and do that will decided what does or doesn't happen as far as Nebraska football is concerned. If the majority think 7 wins is ok, then so be it. Again what I think doesn't matter. What you think doesn't matter. What the majority thinks is acceptable absolutely matters. Not that difficult to comprehend

Last edited:
Fans are 100% lowering their expectation. In no way shape or form would 7 wins have been acceptable even 5 years ago. Now many seem ok with it. Again acceptable and realistic expectation are different.
2nd you came yammering in about it doesn't matter what we fans think is acceptable. Where I stated it does, because we are the ones buying tickets and spending money. Again you came in stating "Why do you want to hurt the program" Where I said what "I" do or think won't hurt or help the program one bit. Which it doesn't. It is what the masses think and do that will decided what does or doesn't happen as far as Nebraska football is concerned. If the majority think 7 wins is ok, then so be it. Again what I think doesn't matter. What you think doesn't matter. What the majority thinks is acceptable absolutely matters. Not that difficult to comprehend

I think it is just semantics.

I don't like 7 wins. Pretty sure no one does.

Reality is we have 4 and 5 win seasons over the last few years. I accept reality. We might only have 7 wins next year. I don't like it. But have no choice to accept it. It is reality and realistic. I can't change it.

Reactions: Jhollenbeck41
I think it is just semantics.

I don't like 7 wins. Pretty sure no one does.

Reality is we have 4 and 5 win seasons over the last few years. I accept reality. We might only have 7 wins next year. I don't like it. But have no choice to accept it. It is reality and realistic. I can't change it.
That I can agree with. My thinking is that if we are ok with 7 wins, it lowers the bar. Pretty soon we are ok with 6 wins and getting to a bowl. If that become the new normal for acceptable we can probably kiss any chance at being relevant again good bye. .
I was thinking more longer term. You and others may have been thinking short term. Short term, all things considered, yes 7 wins is probably a realistic expectation, although it should never be acceptable. I do think we still need to get to 8 to help recruiting and settle the majority of husker fans. As well as it would probably shut up most idiotic Iowa fans.

This year, we were expected to go bowling, that's 6-6. Moos stated that, and ,you can bet decisions were made for all the redshirting and assessments were made at that time.
We barely missed a bowl, but I think both staff and admin knew the most we'd win would be eight games.
Redshirting is obviously discussed between staff and players, and the plan was in place.

So, having older players with some game experience puts us somewheres between the expected 6-6 and another year of growth, imo 8-4 or 9-3, so 7-5 is expected.
But remember, we have all this young talent for another year because of the redshirted players.
So, our expected improvement should have a steeper climb starting next year. Much like putting money in the bank, the interest is accruing.

So, if the young guys start panning out, and theres more than weve ever had this century,in numbers higher as well refering to athleticism, things could get better quickly, but assuredly soundly, as weak spots have been addressed, and depth has all been shored up.

Iowa will be Iowa. If things gel for NU this season, Iowa will be a W. Wisconsin is Taylor-less, so that should help. Really just depends on whether NU takes the next step.

Oh boy, what I would give to know NU does take that desperately needed next step.

I do agree fans are moving the sticks on the year by year basis, and we should... we are not in the 80s and 90s any more... heck we didn’t even come from a .500 season let’s keep in mind that it’s extremely difficult to jump from 3 conesecitive losing seasons to world beaters over night. It’s like I said in my earlier post, 7-5 today 9-3 tomorrow 10-2 12-0 the rest of the way out... part of goal setting is making smart attainable goals.... set let’s set smart attainable goals that lead us to the path of the over all goal... we all want the same thing stop twisting it any other way

Lots of people miss this when evaluating RBs.

Holla

Reactions: dinglefritz
Looks like the younger guys understand what coach frost wants, hopefully they can get the older ones the take in more serious
Also teaching the old (Riley's) guys how to lay the wood and deliver vicious hits like the blackshirts of old used to do as second nature.

That I can agree with. My thinking is that if we are ok with 7 wins, it lowers the bar. Pretty soon we are ok with 6 wins and getting to a bowl. If that become the new normal for acceptable we can probably kiss any chance at being relevant again good bye. .
I was thinking more longer term. You and others may have been thinking short term. Short term, all things considered, yes 7 wins is probably a realistic expectation, although it should never be acceptable. I do think we still need to get to 8 to help recruiting and settle the majority of husker fans. As well as it would probably shut up most idiotic Iowa fans.

Do the fan's acceptance of the appropriate number of Husker number of wins in a season have anything to do with the number of games the team ends up wining? Do you think they are out there busting their butts to win or not giving a rip and losing in order to sync their win loss record with your expected win # or to sync with someone else's accepted win #?

The coaches and players are trying to win every game. If you keep that in mind there is less reason to take these trips to Lala land.

Last edited:
Do the fan's acceptance of the appropriate number of Husker number of wins in a season have anything to do with the number of games the team ends up wining? Do you think they are out there busting their butts to win or not giving a rip and losing in order to sync their win loss record with your expected win # or to sync with someone else's accepted win #?

The coaches and players are trying to win every game. If you keep that in mind there is less reason to take these trips to Lala land.
As I mentioned a few times. Short term, no it really doesn't matter. However long term if husker fans keep lowering the bar and are ok with and accept 6 or 7 wins and a bowl. We will become Iowa. I don't mean that to insult Iowa. As a program and as a fan base they have different expectations and what they view as a successful season. As has been discussed if KF had been hired here instead of Solich, and achieved the same results as he has at Iowa, would he still be coaching here or many other school really? Most agree he wouldn't be. That is because to this point Nebraska expected more, Iowa is fine with it. Look at firing Solich, or Bo. Many schools would probably still have them employed. We expected more than 8 and 9 wins and fired them. Now I wonder if either were here coaching today and getting 8 and 9 win season, would they be around long term because that bar has now been lowered and compared to 4 and 5 win season 8 and 9 look amazing.
If we start looking at things the same way Iowa does, we will never achieve more than Iowa.
Again, Im am speaking long term as mentioned I think many are viewing this as lowering the bar short term. Yes short term I agree with all things considered, getting to 7 wins would be an accomplishment. I just fear if we lower it short term we will never raise it back and be stuck in mediocrity forever.

Reactions: Bigred_b1624
It blows my mind that we have fans that truly believe that if they yell "unacceptable" enough, they can will us to championships.
I think you are missing the point. After 3 pages of attempting to explain it, there is no point. I guess If the majority feel 6 7 wins are ok, It is what it is and will just have to wait and see what happens from there.

I think you are missing the point. After 3 pages of attempting to explain it, there is no point. I guess If the majority feel 6 7 wins are ok, It is what it is and will just have to wait and see what happens from there.
Just to throw this out there now to give you an example of where my thoughts are, I expect 7-5 this season and would be "okay" with 6-6 and a bowl game. Am I happy about it? hell no. But I'll accept it cause it's another win and it's a bowl game and it's progress. I looked at the 2021 schedule. In my opinion, zero reason we can't beat both Iowa and Wisconsin by that time, no reason at all unless they just simply play better than us on a given day, but it won't be because of development and talent in 2021. That can't be said anymore by that time. If things are where they should be at that time, I expect 8-4 in 2021. Losses to Oklahoma, Ohio State, and Michigan, and probably one that we shouldn't lose. But, like always gotta keep some wiggle room for another win or two in there in case we get hot and knock some people off. But, 7-5 is my baseline for 2020 and 8-4 is my baseline for 2021. There's nothing wrong with that. Just because we as fans "expect" things to happen a certain way because that's our own standard, doesn't mean that's how it'll actually happen right now. And that's reality.

Just to throw this out there now to give you an example of where my thoughts are, I expect 7-5 this season and would be "okay" with 6-6 and a bowl game. Am I happy about it? hell no. But I'll accept it cause it's another win and it's a bowl game and it's progress. I looked at the 2021 schedule. In my opinion, zero reason we can't beat both Iowa and Wisconsin by that time, no reason at all unless they just simply play better than us on a given day, but it won't be because of development and talent in 2021. That can't be said anymore by that time. If things are where they should be at that time, I expect 8-4 in 2021. Losses to Oklahoma, Ohio State, and Michigan, and probably one that we shouldn't lose. But, like always gotta keep some wiggle room for another win or two in there in case we get hot and knock some people off. But, 7-5 is my baseline for 2020 and 8-4 is my baseline for 2021. There's nothing wrong with that. Just because we as fans "expect" things to happen a certain way because that's our own standard, doesn't mean that's how it'll actually happen right now. And that's reality.
Agree I think we all are probably attempting to say the same thing, just getting lost in translation.

I'm not missing your point, I just don't agree with the reasoning, at all. Simply demanding excellence now, no matter what, does not accomplish anything. Can you really not see the difference between a 7-win season now, in a total rebuild, as opposed to a 7-win season, following decades of 10+ win seasons? You just want to demand things and have them now, without doing what it takes to get them. If it was that simple everyone would just go around yelling "unacceptable" 24/7 and championships would rain from the sky.

I'm not missing your point, I just don't agree with the reasoning, at all. Simply demanding excellence now, no matter what, does not accomplish anything. Can you really not see the difference between a 7-win season now, in a total rebuild, as opposed to a 7-win season, following decades of 10+ win seasons? You just want to demand things and have them now, without doing what it takes to get them. If it was that simple everyone would just go around yelling "unacceptable" 24/7 and championships would rain from the sky.
Im not demanding anything right now. Again same thing. Lost in translation.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
I look at teams that jumped from 1A to 1AA, as those teams did well going in, even made bowls, but then went backwards, teams like USA,App state etc.
When we had everything rolling, it took awhile to slow down and start going backwards.

Now, we've reached the point of everybody else, and are rebuilding. A good housees foundation will be long set and settled before you go further, that's what the staff is just finishing up.
It does no good to jump the gun, expect walls and a roof if the foundation isn't set well, no cracks, undo settling, whether you want it or not, it takes the appropriate time.
It doesn't mean everyone isn't antsy wanting to have the house ready, and those knowing the foundation takes time doesnt lessen their desire, and being misunderstood how some are simply waiting doesn't make them less in desiring a similar outcome only means the misunderstanding needs to stop,right?

Rebuilding this program has many moving parts, in order for them all to gel right, it took TO almost ten years before he climbed to the top, only to lose, but got there, and much the same thing was going on then, yet the misunderstanding still hasn't been learned.
Time to figure it out, and you know who you are, and for those that dont, welcome to the 80's all over again.

I'll wait to see how we start next year, but Iowa does't scare me. Yes, they have our number, but it's not like they are head and shoulders above us head to head. Wisconsin and Penn St are all win able as well if we finally play complete games. I think at some point we will finally start getting games where O, D and ST all show up on the same day.
Dream on fool !

Dream on fool !
It really comforts me to see statements like this. People who make such comments are the first to worry, or the last to cry.
My thoughts are, between iowa and us? Experience, and that walls pretty thin. I don't need to make claims for my team, but I do know two games with six points isn't a sound position for anyone to stake claims either side, but, here you are.

In the 20 years preceding the Bobfather, NU went 68-129 (34.5%).

Well let's get real. The results of the last few seasons are totally unacceptable. But that means we have to continue working to get better or else we can just stop being fans and move on to some other team. I myself will choose to always be a Nebraska Husker fan and support the team. But yes, I also don't like losing seasons.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT