ADVERTISEMENT

Marvin Scott III

After the past three years, yes.
I guess @jlb321 was right.

how about after the rest of our prestigious history? 7-5, regardless of previous records, is piss poor.

time to stop acting like psu's, osu's, sconnie's little brother. a 9 win expectation should be the floor.

We all have our own opinions but I think 7-5 would be just fine. I think going 8-4 this year would have the same impact as that year 2 jump we all hoped for. I believe 8-4 is doable.
I think why my number is at 8, is because that should be the standard going forward. Hell, Iowa can manage 8 wins most years. If we can't even get to Iowa average by year 3 we have big problems. I understand the schedule is tough, that shouldn't be an excuse any more. If we keep lowering the bar to what is acceptable, when does it stop? Does 6 or 7 wins become the new acceptable for Nebraska going forward? There comes a point that we have to start expecting 8 wins every single year as the min. If we don't, we will always find reasons as to why 7 wins is ok.

Last edited:
the fanbase has been neutered if we're looking forward to and fine with maybe winning 7 games.

embarrassing.
It's one thing to be positive and optimistic about a 9 win season. If that's where you're at I admire your tenacity. But it's another thing to assign neutered status to anyone who feels differently. I'm in "prove it" mode, and simply saying "we're Nebraska" honestly isn't worth a squirt of piss.

It's one thing to be positive and optimistic about a 9 win season. If that's where you're at I admire your tenacity. But it's another thing to assign neutered status to anyone who feels differently. I'm in "prove it" mode, and simply saying "we're Nebraska" honestly isn't worth a squirt of piss.
I agree that "We are Nebraska" doesn't mean much any more. However I think we have to still set a standard. Back in the day I think people were disappointing if Nebraska only got 9 wins. That was an "average" season for 30+ years. As someone mentioned above the last 20 years have almost desensitized the fan base. The last 5 very much so. If we start saying 6 or 7 wins is ok, what is to stop us from becoming Iowa? Where 6 or 7 wins is good enough and getting to 8 or 9, and making bowl is our NC.
There is really little reason to not think 8 wins should be the min. If we continue to find excuses as to why 7 wins is acceptable. There will always just be more excuses. There isn't a team in the country who couldn't justify a 7 win season in some way or another.

Reactions: Bigred_b1624
I agree that "We are Nebraska" doesn't mean much any more. However I think we have to still set a standard. Back in the day I think people were disappointing if Nebraska only got 9 wins. That was an "average" season for 30+ years. As someone mentioned above the last 20 years have almost desensitized the fan base. The last 5 very much so. If we start saying 6 or 7 wins is ok, what is to stop us from becoming Iowa? Where 6 or 7 wins is good enough and getting to 8 or 9, and making bowl is our NC.
There is really little reason to not think 8 wins should be the min. If we continue to find excuses as to why 7 wins is acceptable. There will always just be more excuses. There isn't a team in the country who couldn't justify a 7 win season in some way or another.
A few things
1. The B1G is a more competitive league than it was when NU first joined. A 9-3 season for Pelini is now a 8-4 season. The rebuild of the program is happening within this more challenging competitive landscape.
2. The program has 33 Jrs./Srs. and 50 freshman/RS freshman. The roster is young. But the past two classes are well regarded in terms of rankings.
3. Accepting the reality of the current situation of not being as good as NU hoped hoped it was last season and thus being gun shy in declaring the rebuild over and a success is not the same as thinking "7 wins is acceptable".
4. I'm going with the patience route.

I think why my number is at 8, is because that should be the standard going forward. Hell, Iowa can manage 8 wins most years. If we can't even get to Iowa average by year 3 we have big problems. I understand the schedule is tough, that shouldn't be an excuse any more. If we keep lowering the bar to what is acceptable, when does it stop? Does 6 or 7 wins become the new acceptable for Nebraska going forward? There comes a point that we have to start expecting 8 wins every single year as the min. If we don't, we will always find reasons as to why 7 wins is ok.
Honestly I'm just trying to be realistic. I whole heartedly believe we can start 7-0 next year, no doubt about it. I also don't think Iowa, Wisconsin, and Penn State are some juggernaut schools that can't be touched. They will be tough games though. I'll be plenty content with 7-5 and a bowl game, and then I'll re-evaluate in 2021 based on the schedule and based on how we look in 2020. But, yes, I'd be really happy with an 8-4 2020 and think that would give a lot of people a lot to believe in. But, at a certain point, yes, I think 8-4 needs to be considered a "bad year" again. And I believe that will happen in due time.

the fanbase has been neutered if we're looking forward to and fine with maybe winning 7 games.

embarrassing.

It’s not like the fan base is looking forward to this, or that it is willing to accept this every year. IF things were as bad as some have said, then there must be a certain level of understanding that NU can’t be expected to perform well at a high clip in the early years. I would say year 3 is the last of the early years.
He’s getting his guys in here, and so the we-just-need-the-right-guys narrative is going to go by the side of the road fairly soon, as will the benefit of the doubt.

Okay but you're lying to yourself if you can sit there and confidently say the standard right now is 8 wins or any season is a bust. Just be realistic. Check back next year if/when we make a bowl game and ask yourself that question if you're okay with a 7 win season and bowl appearance and I'll bet you say yes. Whether some people want to admit it or not, that's the reality of the situation. 7 wins and a bowl game in 2020 is considered a successful season. Then re-evaluate again in 2021.

Honestly I'm just trying to be realistic. I whole heartedly believe we can start 7-0 next year, no doubt about it. I also don't think Iowa, Wisconsin, and Penn State are some juggernaut schools that can't be touched. They will be tough games though. I'll be plenty content with 7-5 and a bowl game, and then I'll re-evaluate in 2021 based on the schedule and based on how we look in 2020. But, yes, I'd be really happy with an 8-4 2020 and think that would give a lot of people a lot to believe in. But, at a certain point, yes, I think 8-4 needs to be considered a "bad year" again. And I believe that will happen in due time.

I'll wait to see how we start next year, but Iowa does't scare me. Yes, they have our number, but it's not like they are head and shoulders above us head to head. Wisconsin and Penn St are all win able as well if we finally play complete games. I think at some point we will finally start getting games where O, D and ST all show up on the same day.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Okay but you're lying to yourself if you can sit there and confidently say the standard right now is 8 wins or any season is a bust. Just be realistic. Check back next year if/when we make a bowl game and ask yourself that question if you're okay with a 7 win season and bowl appearance and I'll bet you say yes. Whether some people want to admit it or not, that's the reality of the situation. 7 wins and a bowl game in 2020 is considered a successful season. Then re-evaluate again in 2021.
I do agree we need to be realistic. I think we are confusing realistic with acceptable. All things considered 7 wins is realistic. However 7 wins should never be thought of as acceptable. I guess that was the point I was trying to make. When we start viewing 7 wins as acceptable we might as well change our colors to yellow and black

I do agree we need to be realistic. I think we are confusing realistic with acceptable. All things considered 7 wins is realistic. However 7 wins should never be thought of as acceptable. I guess that was the point I was trying to make. When we start viewing 7 wins as acceptable we might as well change our colors to yellow and black
That's fair. I guess idk what acceptable is yet. For me, it's just too soon to set that bar yet. I can tell you overall, it hasn't been acceptable yet. There's been times where I think it's been acceptable, but overall not yet. I don't know. I'm not ready to set that bar yet because whatever I put it at now, I know it'll just move again in a few years because I assume this thing will be light years better in another 3 years.

MS 3 will be our Mark Ingram, eventually. However, I have a feeling Mills is going to have a big year. I'm intrigued with having an Senior RB leading the team in all aspects-field, hopefully the huddle and locker room.

Reactions: headcard
Iowa will be Iowa. If things gel for NU this season, Iowa will be a W. Wisconsin is Taylor-less, so that should help. Really just depends on whether NU takes the next step.

Iowa will be Iowa. If things gel for NU this season, Iowa will be a W. Wisconsin is Taylor-less, so that should help. Really just depends on whether NU takes the next step.
That's my take. I've been saying to people I know that follow Husker Football very closely that year 3 was going to be the year we match Iowa and Wisconsin physically, then year 4 is where we take that physical standard back from them. After that, all about QB play and the speed guys. I just don't see Wisconsin and Iowa as unbeatable or some pedestal team that others do.

I want to believe this is the season where we go balls to the wall, no saving kids for the future. If someone can play get them on the field.
I have the same feeling as you do on this on... I think we have spent the last two years trying to build depth and get kids ready to play... this should be the year that if someone is taking plays off or not checking all the blocks, then it’ll be time to sit... I’m not too sure on the depth at all positions but I do worry that there are a few places where depth is a little thin and we may still be stuck playing kids that are not checking all the blocks though... two positions off the top of my head would be CB and LB... and I think those are two places where it is kind of hard to come in as a true freshman and perform.... not saying it can’t be done but I’m hoping someone with better knowledge of the depth chart can ease my mind there

how about after the rest of our prestigious history? 7-5, regardless of previous records, is piss poor.

time to stop acting like psu's, osu's, sconnie's little brother. a 9 win expectation should be the floor.
I think where the break down with understanding is that you interpret the saying 7-5 is expected as saying that’s what we will settle for year in and year out... I absolutely do not think that is the case. I know me personally I’d be ok with 7-5 next year as it’s a stepping stone, but we better not stick at 7-5 forever... eventually I want us to be at the 10-2 12-0 mark... that’s the expectation... we all got our hopes up last year, we bought into the media hype and we all fell flat on our face... I think this year everyone is pulling back on their expectations and realizing that we are still building up to it...

You realize it doesn't matter what we expect or accept, right? That literally doesn't change what the team does on the field.

You realize that, don't you?

Reactions: headcard

UNACCEPTABLE!

What does that really mean? Seems odd not to accept something out of your control.

That's my take. I've been saying to people I know that follow Husker Football very closely that year 3 was going to be the year we match Iowa and Wisconsin physically, then year 4 is where we take that physical standard back from them. After that, all about QB play and the speed guys. I just don't see Wisconsin and Iowa as unbeatable or some pedestal team that others do.
We have already matched Iowa. I would be shocked if we lose to them this year. I think we mach Wisc this year, with a 50 50 shot to beat them. After this year I just don't think Iowa will be able to stay on par with us. Especially if Ferentz leaves in the near future. Wisc will always be a battle, however generally speaking we are able to out recruit them most years. I think that will give us the edge more often than not.

We have already matched Iowa. I would be shocked if we lose to them this year. I think we mach Wisc this year, with a 50 50 shot to beat them. After this year I just don't think Iowa will be able to stay on par with us. Especially if Ferentz leaves in the near future. Wisc will always be a battle, however generally speaking we are able to out recruit them most years. I think that will give us the edge more often than not.
We didn't match Iowa this year and here's why....call it catching us off guard if you want to but there was twice when they straight up lined up against us and bulldozed us off the line 3-4 yards to get a first. Last year was the last year of that happening. This offseason in the weight room solves that, mentally and physically. Call me crazy but I don't think it's purely a recruiting issue against Wisconsin and Iowa, but more mental. All you ever hear about with Iowa and Wisky is what you used to hear about us, it'll be a dog fight and it'll be physical as hell and you better be ready for those running games to have a chance. If you're mentally weak, you want no part of that. So, yes, recruit guys that have that mental edge to them that they want that challenge, get them big and strong, and boom cut them loose against Wisconsin and Iowa and our problems are solved. Simple as that

By the way I think we have a very good shot to beat both Iowa and Wisconsin in their buildings this year. I firmly believe Frost will have a dick measuring contest with both of those staffs and see whose running game and line play has improved the most. I like our chances.

Reactions: husker2612
Both rarely beat themselves. NU has been in position to beat Iowa the past two years but couldn’t close the deal. With NU, it’s not the lack of enough talent, it’s getting enough players on board to consistently execute.
100% agree

This really embarrasses you? You need to grow some thicker skin.
how the mighty have fallen. the last bastion of husker greatness is the fans. it's the only thing resembling a blue blood we have.

of course a 'stepping stone' 7-win season is embarrassing. what are we talking about here? 7 wins in year 3 is good?

Bob Devaney is rolling in his grave.

how the mighty have fallen. the last bastion of husker greatness is the fans. it's the only thing resembling a blue blood we have.

of course a 'stepping stone' 7-win season is embarrassing. what are we talking about here? 7 wins in year 3 is good?

Bob Devaney is rolling in his grave.
Under the circumstances, yes it would be acceptable.

You realize it doesn't matter what we expect or accept, right? That literally doesn't change what the team does on the field.

You realize that, don't you?
Well actually it matters very very much. As fans we are the ones buying tickets and filling the stadium week in and week out. Every fan base has limits, every fan base as an acceptable threshold. While ours is much higher than most we still have limits. Whatever the majority of fans find acceptable or not is when the seats start to empty. Is it 5 wins 6 wins 7 wins 8 wins. 1 year 2 years 3 years or more. I have no idea what the majority will say is acceptable or not. When or if those seats start to empty I guarantee it will is some, way, shape or form affect what happens on the field. What an individual finds acceptable doesn't really matter, but what the majority find acceptable matter a ton.

schedule is always going to be tough, I'm afraid.

I'm tired of baby steps.
I understand. I'm just happy we have the coach we have and I'm happy with things getting done IMO the "Nebraska way". The wins will come eventually and I'm not going to put a deadline on it. If you do things the right way and work your asses off eventually it will pay off.

I think that's actually part of the problem. Too many fans thinking back to the mid-90's as the standard and mediocre players with uncharacteristically high expectations. We've lost to Iowa how many straight times now?

Maybe a change in mindset would be refreshing. Take some pressure off the kids, coaches. Try acting like underdogs for a change. Stop giving away games, choking at the end. Just a thought.

We are very young, but we also have the highest concentration of talent in two consecutive classes we've had this century also.
I just think about each room has to have a leader that sets the bar, we haven't had that, and the bar was lower than we'd like, due to attrition and talent, and the failure of the last four staffs either not maintaining that bar, or not creating a higher one.

Bouncing from coach to coach created much of this,besides the attrition. For the first time since TO, the team is no longer a self perpetuating machine,where ignoring standards can not be overlooked or taken for granted.
Having this staff, we're in good hands, but building this in todays own standards, you just cant create your own workout and weight program no one else has, so, to me, it has to be more graduated as we get better, because the Big is that good, but also getting better in its own right.
No one took lsu or georgis for granted when they won seven games in the sec, that'd be eight for us in the Big, as we play that extra conf game, but lsu and georgia or auburn gets respect because of the caliber of their opposition, something we have to recognize today and seperate from yesterday, where then, we only played eight conf games in a weaker conf.

You get right down to it all, and compare 6 years ago to today, many things have changed in the Big, and its now a larger portion of our schedule than ever before.
So, bring on the youngins, and hope they catch on quick.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I think that's actually part of the problem. Too many fans thinking back to the mid-90's as the standard and mediocre players with uncharacteristically high expectations. We've lost to Iowa how many straight times now?

Maybe a change in mindset would be refreshing. Take some pressure off the kids, coaches. Try acting like underdogs for a change. Stop giving away games, choking at the end. Just a thought.

It's not just the 90s.

1970s
98-20-4 -9 years AP ranked top 10 post season - lowest AP post season ranking 12th

1980s
103-20 -7 years AP ranked top 10 post season - lowest AP post season ranking 11th

1990s
108-16-1 -6 years AP ranked top 10 post season - lowest AP post season ranking 24th

That is 3 decades of dominance.

Last edited:
Well actually it matters very very much. As fans we are the ones buying tickets and filling the stadium week in and week out. Every fan base has limits, every fan base as an acceptable threshold. While ours is much higher than most we still have limits. Whatever the majority of fans find acceptable or not is when the seats start to empty. Is it 5 wins 6 wins 7 wins 8 wins. 1 year 2 years 3 years or more. I have no idea what the majority will say is acceptable or not. When or if those seats start to empty I guarantee it will is some, way, shape or form affect what happens on the field. What an individual finds acceptable doesn't really matter, but what the majority find acceptable matter a ton.

So what you are saying is we shouldn't accept what is going on. Ultimately the non-acceptance leads to less butts in seats and hurts the program overall.

Why do you want to hurt the program like that?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT