ADVERTISEMENT

Marvin Scott can bench press over 400 lbs.

Bigred511

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Oct 14, 2018
Wow, he hasn't even started his Husker football weight lifting program. I read that he won his weight class for Flordia State Weight lifting. I don't understand the clean and jerk but impressed with his bench.

80051021_10157987278912299_320357264101736448_n.jpg

Wow, he hasn't even started his Husker football weight lifting program. I read that he won his weight class for Flordia State Weight lifting. I don't understand the clean and jerk but impressed with his bench.

Interesting, they don't have the squat lifts anymore in power lifting. Probably why I have degenerative disc disease now, squatting too much in my youth.

Reactions: zrob and Bigred511
Interesting, they don't have the squat lifts anymore in power lifting. Probably why I have degenerative disc disease now, squatting too much in my youth.

They realized deadlifting is much superior to squatting when it comes to blowing out your discs, so they put that in instead.

As for Mr. Scott, 405 at that weight at that age is an amazing feat.

I cleaned 245 in high school. 295 to me is impressive, but feasible. The 405 bench press blows my mind. I probably couldn’t get that off the rack right now Eek

Reactions: Bigred511
Scott is the #1 HS kid in this class likely to see the field IMO. Obviously more will but Scott and Mills are the only backs on the roster that can run inside. Mills is a SR so after next season we should see a lot of MS3 if for no reason more then skill set.

really like this kid and can see the future of Cam leading him inside to the second level and MS3 putting a safety on his back for a long run

Scott 3 is definitely going to be used a lot over the next several years but he doesn’t quite have the ceiling Sevion Morrison or R Johnson has. Scott 3 will definitely get his but I don’t see him quite pulling off what Morrison or Johnson are going to do. The 3 will definitely compliment each other. And we can’t forget R Thompkins, if he gets back to his old form...look out. Dudes and elite talent. Just hopefully he can hold up to D1 punishment.

Last edited:

The bench press will forever be a completely useless measure of football strength. The clean and jerk is a better measure of football power. I knew a guy in high school that could bench well over 300 lbs that even scrawny 170 lb kids could drive off the ball. Lower body strength, agility, and overall explosiveness were nil. Even the various cross-training athletes at the gym I go to rarely if ever do it (I stopped after high school).

Reactions: Nebraska_Reality
That's a very impressive feat, and he deserves all the accolades from a power lifting standpoint....

But, can he play? That is the ultimate question to answer.

Last edited:
What does he squat...? Dude has Legs like trunks for his size. Did anyone look at his offer list? Pretty impressive. If Held and Frost want him, I won't ever argue, as they know what they're doing.

This kid is extremely put together at only 5'9 and will end up being a beast, getting bigger more than he already is physically in Duvall's dungeon and faster. The kid exemplifies Frost's attitude and what he want's as you can see it in his hudl the way he plays.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Hard to say what he will do once he hits the field but he’s my favorite recruit and his highlight reel is titty city

The bench press will forever be a completely useless measure of football strength. The clean and jerk is a better measure of football power. I knew a guy in high school that could bench well over 300 lbs that even scrawny 170 lb kids could drive off the ball. Lower body strength, agility, and overall explosiveness were nil. Even the various cross-training athletes at the gym I go to rarely if ever do it (I stopped after high school).

I don't think it is useless, maybe not as important as some of us think it is, but it still helps.

Cross-training athletes don't do it that much because they are busy doing fake pull ups and running with masks on their face.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
I think for safeties and rbs, bench has a place. Upper body strength is upper body strength.
If you can already run, hitting and taking hits arent done with your legs.

What does he squat...? Dude has Legs like trunks for his size. Did anyone look at his offer list? Pretty impressive. If Held and Frost want him, I won't ever argue, as they know what they're doing.

This kid is extremely put together at only 5'9 and will end up being a beast, getting bigger more than he already is physically in Duvall's dungeon and faster. The kid exemplifies Frost's attitude and what he want's as you can see it in his hudl the way he plays.

If he can clean and jerk 295, I would assume his squat is at least that if not 50-60 lbs more.

The NFL disagrees with you. Although I think at the combine the bench press reps are more about stamina than overall power.

Personally while I think power lifts like squats, cleans, jerks, dead’s, etc are far better measures of football strength and are more necessary for explosiveness and speed I still think bench has its place for overall development of strength and conditioning. That explosive move from the chest out, very much is necessary when blocking or taking on blocks. I just don’t think it has the same value it once had.

Reactions: 19Football19
If he can clean and jerk 295, I would assume his squat is at least that if not 50-60 lbs more.
A 355 lb squat isn't that good for a college football player...even in the lower divisions. I was a very mediocre Division II javelin thrower, and my best squat max was 450 lbs.

Running backs need ham-hock thighs, imo. Lower body strength and balance mean more. Hope he is a stud. gbr

And there it is!!! The humble-brag!!!

Keep ‘em coming!!
Not a brag at all.....if anything, I was pointing out to another poster that a 355 lb squat isn't very good for a college FB player at any level, and using my bad squat as a non-college FB-playing athlete an example.

You're right...it is humble, because I have nothing to brag about.

I sure as hell hope that Scott can do at least 450 as an incoming freshman at a Division I football program.

Believe me...I was nothing to write home about as a college athlete.

Yeh I did 305 at 145 in college also could dunk with a 37” vert at 5-11 IMOP your weight is a non factor in the Bench It’s more about muscle endurance. As is the vertical

Not a brag at all.....if anything, I was pointing out to another poster that a 355 lb squat isn't very good for a college FB player at any level, and using my bad squat as a non-college FB-playing athlete an example.

You're right...it is humble, because I have nothing to brag about.

I sure as hell hope that Scott can do at least 450 as an incoming freshman at a Division I football program.

Believe me...I was nothing to write home about as a college athlete.
You're nothing to write home about as a poster either.....:Cool:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT