ADVERTISEMENT

Martinez

tc68363

Junior
Gold Member
May 24, 2011
If he is in fact Fairly limited for spring ball like some alluded to in the chat, Boy you talk about a golden opportunity for Luke. Luke I would imagine would get more snaps than anybody this spring And if he makes the most of those it would go along way to solidifying that starting job come fall I would think.

I know one thing for sure, Luke needs to be involved one way or another. Kid is a playmaker. I still think Martinez is the starter but a leash will actually exist next year. Frost isnt dumb, We need to win games now. The schedule is brutal next year but there are no excuses for the first 7 games.

I know one thing for sure, Luke needs to be involved one way or another. Kid is a playmaker. I still think Martinez is the starter but a leash will actually exist next year. Frost isnt dumb, We need to win games next year. The schedule is brutal next year but there are no excuses for the first 7 games.
Amen. Martinez needs a real short leash imo. If he misses as many wide open receivers and struggles with the zone he needs to ride the pine.

I know one thing for sure, Luke needs to be involved one way or another. Kid is a playmaker. I still think Martinez is the starter but a leash will actually exist next year. Frost isnt dumb, We need to win games now. The schedule is brutal next year but there are no excuses for the first 7 games.
Hope you're right , KG . Luke would appear to be the benefactor . Hope his arm is good enough to go with his obvious "desire" . We need leadership that has been missing . Adrian is an enigma to me .

Reactions: StrongArm517
Hope you're right , KG . Luke would appear to be the benefactor . Hope his arm is good enough to go with his obvious "desire" . We need leadership that has been missing . Adrian is an enigma to me .
Isnt it amazing how you can just see the effort from some players. Lukes arm isnt refined but god damn did that kid give it everything he had despite being undersized.

I like McCaffrey but he threw 12 passes last year and a lot of them were schemed. Consider me a skeptic.

Best case scenario, Martinex comes back from the sophomore slump and McCaffrey balls out at WR.

Maybe we should have more plays schemed. Maybe not rely on a QB to make all the reads with 1 year of college football experience.

Isnt it amazing how you can just see the effort from some players. Lukes arm isnt refined but god damn did that kid give it everything he had despite being undersized.

So true.

It's amazing how N fans can typically spot effort rather......shall I say effortlessly. Laughing

After all the hype Smoothers and McCaffrey are sure to receive this spring, I can't even begin to imagine the thousand or so hawt takes in August if Martinez is once again named our starter.
If AM can’t read some coverage he needs to either:

1. Hang it up

or

2. Play Madden and take a crash course in recognizing the different zone coverages.

/s

Right now, it’s irrelevant who the starting QB is for Nebraska in 2020. To me, barring injury, Adrian Martinez, appears to start the year as the starter. I prefer, right now, to go with the guy who has started for two years. McCaffrey is in his second year so knowing the offense will be better but very little playing experience. Smothers, like the above two quarterbacks, is a January enrolled student. It definitely hastens his development. But he still is a true freshman playing the hardest position in sports.

But the leash for AM should and will be shorter, IMO. He has to earn the job and play at a level to keep the job. Any QB should have a leash, it just depends how long it is by variables determined by Scott Frost and his assistants on offense mainly. So playing favorites isn’t my preference and I just hope whoever it is plays at a high level. Hopefully at a all-conference level.

Reactions: IndyHusker

I know what you mean unfortunately. At this time last year (and up until the season) I figured we finally had the QB we've been missing for decades. The guy with all the intangibles and leadership skills and ability. Somehow it seemed like ALL of those things went missing for some or all of the season. Enigma is a perfect word.

Reactions: StrongArm517
If he is in fact Fairly limited for spring ball like some alluded to in the chat, Boy you talk about a golden opportunity for Luke. Luke I would imagine would get more snaps than anybody this spring And if he makes the most of those it would go along way to solidifying that starting job come fall I would think.
Can Luke read defense and throw the ball consistently good enough? Time will tell.

I'm never leaving the Adrian Martinez fan club. Most of you have short term memory and can't recall the excellence that was displayed in 2018 and are too ignorant to realize the lack of experience the interior offensive line had in 2019 paired with the loss of Stanley Morgan and 1k yard rusher Devine Ozigbo. I expect Adrian to surpass all of his prior accomplishments in 2020 and silence the McCaffrey fan club. It's all fraud any ways. You'll love Luke until he gives you a reason to hate him. Just like you did with Adrian.

I bet Matt Masker throws for 2 touchdowns and runs for another in the Spring game, and dudes on this site will recommend we give him a shot in the Fall.

The same people who do this will also insist that if Martinez is the starter that it's because of stubbornness and not because hes the best option at the position.

It may very well be the Noah show until Martinez heals. Noah knows the offense light years better than any QB on the roster and Frost and the staff are the only ones that know the offense better than him. By the way, I'm sayin it now, Luke isn't better than Smothers and I don't even need to see them play side by side to say that. Luke will be behind Smothers on the depth chart this year unless they decide to RS him. That's not a prediction, but a spoiler.

If AM can’t read some coverage he needs to either:

1. Hang it up

or

2. Play Madden and take a crash course in recognizing the different zone coverages.

/s
Hard to make split second reads when you have to watch the ball into your hands every snap JS

Reactions: Doubledueces
I like McCaffrey but he threw 12 passes last year and a lot of them were schemed. Consider me a skeptic.

Best case scenario, Martinex comes back from the sophomore slump and McCaffrey balls out at WR.
I don't understand the origin of your skepticism. He is a playmaker that will only get better with time and more reps. And he has had only one year of high school to play qb. I expect his passing game to jump forward this year. And with his speed and ability to improvise he could be the real deal. I am very excited about his ability and development.

I hope people realize the QB situation last year was fully on Frost and Verduzco, running an injured Martinez out there almost every week.

Reactions: Dude122
We’ve won 8 games in two years with Martinez (I credit vedral for the win over northwestern).
For somebody who touches the ball on every snap I just don’t feel that’s good enough despite the rest of the team’s shortcomings. He just isn’t a winner imo.

Reactions: Savedatmoney

or for Logan...

Probably just trying to tame the hype train imho.

I bet Matt Masker throws for 2 touchdowns and runs for another in the Spring game, and dudes on this site will recommend we give him a shot in the Fall.
The crazy thing is Pelini used to win 9 games a year and Matt Masker would be his second string QB.

Reactions: Savedatmoney
After all the hype Smoothers and McCaffrey are sure to receive this spring, I can't even begin to imagine the thousand or so hawt takes in August if Martinez is once again named our starter.
That’s one reason why I don’t think we’ll get a ton of info out of Spring Camp.

Right now we basically got Rick Vaughn out there throwing Eliminators & Terminators. Dude needs to get his confidence back, stop with the injury excuses cuz he had open wrs & wouldn’t pull the trigger. The only thing the injury effected was a portion of accuracy & avoiding scrambling.

If he can’t overcome the mental blocks & learn coverages & another guy steps up, Scott needs to give a Mike Gundy speech & move on

ADVERTISEMENT