ADVERTISEMENT

Martinez

husker2612

Recruiting Coordinator
Nov 29, 2010
I agreed with many who believe Martinez hasn't looked right this year. He looks sluggish and hesitant. Over throwing guys or just missing that they are open all together, ball security. So I decided to dig into his stats to see if the numbers were matching what I was seeing.
If I missed something please correct me. It looks like he is a little ahead of last years pace actually. Bottom line we all need to chill the F out on Martinez.

His 2018 stats.
Rushing
140 attempts
629 total yards
4.5 average
8 tds
long of 53

Passing
347 attempts
224 completions
CMP% 64.6%
Total yds 2,617
Avg 7.5
TD 17
INT 8
Long 75
Sacks 23
Passer rating 139.5

2019 Stats

Rushing
61 attempts
234 total yards
3.8 average
3 tds
long of 44

Passing
109 attempts
67 completions
CMP% 61.5%
Total yds 1,052
Avg 9.7
TD 7
INT 2
Long 75
Sacks 10
Passer rating 160.1

So at his current pace/ average he will have

Rushing
183 attempts
702 total yards +73 yard over last year
9 tds +1 over last year

Passing
327 attempts
201 completions
3,156 total yards +539 over last year
21 TDs +4 over last year
8 INT even
30 sacks +7

The only stat that is down is his rushing average 3.8 vs 4.5 and he is taking more sacks. That can all be a line creating holes issue.

I hesitate to call him overcoached, but it seems he is overthinking some plays. There has been hesitation that has led to negative plays and short gainers. He's big and athletic, with the ability to run. He should take advantage of that. I think it will open the rest of the offense up.

Looks like his completion percentage is down this year from 64.6% to 61.5%. That’s not good. Hopefully it will improve.

Reactions: husker2612
Let’s hope that Martinez and the offense continue to get better and make fewer mistakes. And ditto for the defense, with turnovers being a problem, the defense has to hold those turnovers out of the end zone, had three get in for td’s the other night and the second play for Illinois went for that long scoring run.

Lot of work to be done in all three phases, hopefully this Saturday Nebraska can put as close to a perfect game together as possible, it’s going to be needed against the train that’s rolling towards Lincoln.

He looks like much of the same player, but with a better command of the offense.

What I have noticed is that 2AM never really gets going in a game until he gets his bell rung. So far this season, it has taken a long time for him to get that first hit in... Seems like he's trying to protect himself a bit more.

Not gonna dog the guy for it though, just an observation.

Last edited:
We've only played against 4 bad defenses so far.

We'll see what the stats look like after playing against Ohio State, Wisconsin, Iowa, etc.

He'll be fine. The slow start, IMO, is a combination of hearing too much pre-season hype (and trying too hard as a result) and a sophomore slump (if you can call it that). He's only human. Most here would have totally wilted under that kind of pressure from the pre-season hype at such a young age.

stanley and devine were big losses.
people. ctfo.

Last edited:
Reactions: OzzyLvr
I was hoping Martinez would take bigger steps forward this year in terms of ball security and accuracy from the pocket. And that can still happen, I just don't think we've seen it yet.

I honestly don't feel great about how Martinez has performed so far this year. But in my mind there's a big difference between acknowledging his shortcomings and pissing your pants like a toddler every time he makes a mistake. And there's a huge difference between wanting something more from Martinez and convincing yourself that there's a better QB sitting on the bench.

Reactions: gw2kpro and mgbreis
AM is fine

But to be fair his first 4 games this year were

S ala- CU- N ILL - ILL

Last year:

CU-Mich-PUR-WISC

Reactions: WuTang_Husker
I honestly don't feel great about how Martinez has performed so far this year. But in my mind there's a big difference between acknowledging his shortcomings and pissing your pants like a toddler every time he makes a mistake. And there's a huge difference between wanting something more from Martinez and convincing yourself that there's a better QB sitting on the bench.
Amen.

AM is fine

But to be fair his first 4 games this year were

S ala- CU- N ILL - ILL

Last year:

CU-Mich-PUR-WISC
Right but the I wasn't comparing the first 4 games last year to the first 4 games this year. We had Bethune cookman in there last year as well remember. But yes I see your point, we had much tougher level of opponents last year as a whole.

Reactions: jlb321
I agreed with many who believe Martinez hasn't looked right this year. He looks sluggish and hesitant. Over throwing guys or just missing that they are open all together, ball security. So I decided to dig into his stats to see if the numbers were matching what I was seeing.
If I missed something please correct me. It looks like he is a little ahead of last years pace actually. Bottom line we all need to chill the F out on Martinez.

His 2018 stats.
Rushing
140 attempts
629 total yards
4.5 average
8 tds
long of 53

Passing
347 attempts
224 completions
CMP% 64.6%
Total yds 2,617
Avg 7.5
TD 17
INT 8
Long 75
Sacks 23
Passer rating 139.5

2019 Stats

Rushing
61 attempts
234 total yards
3.8 average
3 tds
long of 44

Passing
109 attempts
67 completions
CMP% 61.5%
Total yds 1,052
Avg 9.7
TD 7
INT 2
Long 75
Sacks 10
Passer rating 160.1

Rushing
183 attempts
9 tds +1 over last year

Passing
327 attempts
201 completions
21 TDs +4 over last year
8 INT even
30 sacks +7

The only stat that is down is his rushing average 3.8 vs 4.5 and he is taking more sacks. That can all be a line creating holes issue.
Don't forget, he missed some playing time last year.

His 2018 stats.
Rushing
140 attempts
629 total yards
4.5 average
8 tds
long of 53

Passing
347 attempts
224 completions
CMP% 64.6%
Total yds 2,617
Avg 7.5
TD 17
INT 8
Long 75
Sacks 23
Passer rating 139.5

2019 Stats

Rushing
61 attempts
234 total yards
3.8 average
3 tds
long of 44

Passing
109 attempts
67 completions
CMP% 61.5%
Total yds 1,052
Avg 9.7
TD 7
INT 2
Long 75
Sacks 10
Passer rating 160.1

Rushing
183 attempts
9 tds +1 over last year

Passing
327 attempts
201 completions
21 TDs +4 over last year
8 INT even
30 sacks +7

Biggest disappointment to me - he almost never seems to find his check-down receiver when his primary target is covered, and if he does, it is when he is scrambling and he throws it last second at their feet. Left a lot of offense out there if he could spot the open receivers not named Spielman. Secondly, he seems slower at making decisions than last yr, although it was better the 2nd half.

Also don't forget-- you are all online criticizing a 19 year old kid who is far more talented than all of you combined. And none of you are using your names. Hmmmm.
Oh no, Bruce is right in the phone book under "1981, Bruce". You know, the guy who says AM doesn't have it, "between the ears". That's some genuine objective criticism right there.

Reactions: nwualum
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT