ADVERTISEMENT

Martell gets waiver, eligible immediately

What was his basis for appeal? It didn’t say in the article. Seems like they should just go ahead and make everyone immediately eligible at this point.
I went to their board and still couldn't find any explanation behind the ruling. I don't think it really matters anymore, they just don't want to fight it. Might as well let 'em all go.

Yep...there is nothing to fight and if they do they won't win. There is not a judge in America that will say no.

The NCAA needs to be abolished or be an institution of the federal government. They can't truly investigate anything because they have no teeth.

Meanwhile, parents bribe university officials to get their kid in school, and are summoned to court. Coaches pay players and it's ok? Kind of ruins the sport, imo.

Yes, I know the difference between school officials being bribed and highschool athletes being bribed. They are both cheating though.

This is just my theory based on nothing but I think the fine folks at the NCAA have finally conceded that college football is a multibillion dollar industry and have decided that they need to get the best player on the field at all times. I personally don't have an issue with this I guess but make the rules uniform and not so arbitrary with every case.

The NCAA needs to be abolished or be an institution of the federal government. They can't truly investigate anything because they have no teeth.

Meanwhile, parents bribe university officials to get their kid in school, and are summoned to court. Coaches pay players and it's ok? Kind of ruins the sport, imo.

Yes, I know the difference between school officials being bribed and highschool athletes being bribed. They are both cheating though.

No. No. No.

The feds don’t need to run it. I don’t care which party is in power. There is very little that the govt does that actually makes things better. And again, I don’t care which party runs it so I am am clearly not trying to start and R vs D pissing match.

Nothing in the Consitution mandates the feds run sports. So they shouldn’t. Bigger issues to deal with.

No. No. No.

The feds don’t need to run it. I don’t care which party is in power. There is very little that the govt does that actually makes things better. And again, I don’t care which party runs it so I am am clearly not trying to start and R vs D pissing match.

Nothing in the Consitution mandates the feds run sports. So they shouldn’t. Bigger issues to deal with.

Oh, I would normally agree with you, but the NCAA doesn't matter. An institution like this could be apolitical. If they are not, they are investigated. I don't agree with you. The NCAA needs subpoena power.

No. No. No.

Commerce clause? Football is big business between state level institutions.

Oh, I would normally agree with you, but the NCAA doesn't matter. An institution like this could be apolitical. If they are not, they are investigated. I don't agree with you. The NCAA needs subpoena power.

What do they need subpoena power for? If a law is broken, law enforcement gets involved. If a rule is broken, there is no need for the courts to get involved, they have bigger fish to fry. Boosters paying a player is not against the law, boosters giving a job to a student athlete is not against the law. If the NCAA doesn't want to enforce their own rules, that is on them and simply shouldn't be the responsibility of the government.

Agreed!

The NCAA really has no power and if the schools would just realize that it the NCAA would be gone.

Agreed!

The NCAA really has no power and if the schools would just realize that it the NCAA would be gone.

The schools want it that way, they make the rules. All of the committees are made up of representatives from member schools. They control the direction of the NCAA. If the NCAA went away, the schools would lose all control over how they distribute the cash. That ain't happenin'

Yep, they may as well make everyone eligible right away. The way they have just handed it to a few players like Martell, they won’t be able to say no to anyone. Not without a good lawyer smashing it to bits if they do.

Sounds like the major basis he was prepared to argue was "coaching turmoil". Yeah right.

Allow all transfers with one of the two stipulations to be determined by the accepting school and player

1. Either sit a year and then be eligible or
2. Immediate eligibility with the school accepting some form of scholarship number limitation. Maybe in order to be elibigle immediately the player utilizes 2 scholarships rather then one

Allow all transfers with one of the two stipulations to be determined by the accepting school and player

1. Either sit a year and then be eligible or
2. Immediate eligibility with the school accepting some form of scholarship number limitation. Maybe in order to be elibigle immediately the player utilizes 2 scholarships rather then one

I like it but I can’t see anyone actually wanting it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT